• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Good gracious, look at him go! If I had to hazard a guess, he's straight up hamboning witu the tip of his little foot, what a fun animation to a useful move! Definitely a keeper!

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I love the work they did on the demon animations! It makes each demon feel unique with their own personalities. It also helps that the demon itself is pretty cute lol

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I love the work they did on the demon animations! It makes each demon feel unique with their own personalities. It also helps that the demon itself is pretty cute lol
the animations are cute, but at the same time, I can see how limited the animations are. all these demons look to have as many animation loops as you can count on one hand. in some of these videos they're already growing repetitive on me. the nature of the beast when you do monster collecting games in 3D

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
She got into Dx2 so we can hope. Then again Dx2 has a lot of deep cuts lol. I'm disappointed it seems like they aren't using any of those models as a basis because the roster would be insane if they did, but maybe they can't share work with the Sega team or something.
Fingers crossed! Also Dx2 is cool, but it's waaaay too gacha in your face for me lol
The individual animation work per demon is probably the reason why we're getting less than half of IV's demon count. A bit of a shame, though this might mean that if we get VI or a V inter-sequel like Apocalypse, we could be looking at a 300+ count with this level of detail. Insane.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed! Also Dx2 is cool, but it's waaaay too gacha in your face for me lol

The individual animation work per demon is probably the reason why we're getting less than half of IV's demon count. A bit of a shame, though this might mean that if we get VI or a V inter-sequel like Apocalypse, we could be looking at a 300+ count with this level of detail. Insane.

Oh Dx2 is trash. It's got some obscure demons and even alternate designs, but that's mostly consequence of the gacha format where they need to be pumping out new meta-breaking demons for whales to waste their money on. Actually playing it is a grindy mess and the pull rates are criminal. I gave up on it a while ago.

But it is cool just for the novelty of seeing stuff like Alice's original design in 3D.

Síriocaz

Oct 19, 2019
A little dumb question, but I can't find an answer. Does the Steelbook Launch Edition listed in Amazon also include a standard game case and not just the steelbook one?

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh Dx2 is trash. It's got some obscure demons and even alternate designs, but that's mostly consequence of the gacha format where they need to be pumping out new meta-breaking demons for whales to waste their money on. Actually playing it is a grindy mess and the pull rates are criminal. I gave up on it a while ago.

But it is cool just for the novelty of seeing stuff like Alice's original design in 3D.
Yeah lol I meant to say *looks* cool, but I played about a day or two of it and got fed up with the grind.

Jun 24, 2019
1VskkUL.jpeg

It's so smol uwu

Jun 24, 2019
yu7KeGX_d.webp

Doi's Zeus to say it kindly, is a bit of a mess. If he did away the monochrome & arm blades, and only kept the statue plating, it would be perfect.

Wish I could be kinder to Satan from Apoc, I don't have it in my heart to praise that design.

latest

It's so........eh.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Xenomorph Satan with 6 tits > Satan

the different concept art Satan would have been more interesting to me

latest

latest

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Xenomorph Satan with 6 tits > Satan

the different concept art Satan would have been more interesting to me

latest

latest
I like the second one. Some of doi's demons feel a little too straightforward but the second concept art keeps that wtf aspect of that makes the kaneko design so striking.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
yu7KeGX_d.webp

Doi's Zeus to say it kindly, is a bit of a mess. If he did away the monochrome & arm blades, and only kept the statue plating, it would be perfect.

Wish I could be kinder to Satan from Apoc, I don't have it in my heart to praise that design.

latest

It's so........eh.
I like both designs. Problem is they don't feel like they really fit the characters they are supposed to be. If they were in some other game as some monsters named Beus and Batan, I'd love these designs way more.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
God, I hate Doi's Satan. Almost as much as his Zeus. I really, really hope they're not in SMT5---or at least that Doi has taken another pass at them, if they are.

Jun 24, 2019
I like both designs. Problem is they don't feel like they really fit the characters they are supposed to be. If they were in some other game as some monsters named Beus and Batan, I'd love these designs way more.

Well put and better said. My main gripe is that they look so out of place - well maybe not in demikids, Doi's Zeus and Satan monster designs would suit better in a different franchise.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with Doi's Satan and Zeus, I wonder how they look like in 3D if they ever arrive to the game. I wouldn't be disgusted with a redesign based on the IV:A and SJR ones.

As long as we don't get most of the new demons made by guest designers in SMT IV, I'm fine. I still don't understand why did they turn Lilith from this into this. Same with the archangels Gabriel, Uriel,... and other classic demons. We didn't need such aberrations.

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
I actually like it when thdy change up the deyigns of demons. It get's tiresome to be stuck with the same designs for over 20 years.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like it when thdy change up the deyigns of demons. It get's tiresome to be stuck with the same designs for over 20 years.

Yeah, but the new designs have to be good though. The problem with the archangels and Lilith in IV, aside from being ugly as hell, is their designs have nothing to do with the mythological figures. Unless Lilith is associated with bugs somehow.

Jun 24, 2019
I am all for SMT IV's cosmic aberrations of the cardinal angels. I know Amemiya didn't intend them to be biblically symbolic, but he did [unintentionally] capture the extraterrestrial nature of them. That being said, I do think they can only mesh well in SMT IV's art direction, as it would be pretty jarring to see that type of design pop elsewhere.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
"Biblically accurate angels" being abstract nonsense seems like a meme that got out of hand. Like I get it. People like Lovecraft and descriptions of million-eyed rings of flame with wings sound like some random bullshit he came up with. But there's definitely ways to represent that and go beyond the biblical descriptions without just devolving into vomiting heads like those jack-o-lanterns people carve. Like I wanna see some fractal shit like something out of a Tool album cover in motion.

Eirikr

Oct 25, 2017
"Biblically accurate angels" being abstract nonsense seems like a meme that got out of hand.

Yeah, pretty much. I recently did a deep dive into the "vision" angels (Seraphim, Cherubim, Ophanim) that are most often seen as "eldritch" and... they are all based on existing imagery from the period and region. People who don't understand the context projecting what they want to see onto them.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
My boy Shiisaa representing. Ever since SMT 3 when he is like the first demon acting normal and nice to you he got my back. Eligor next I guess?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Doi's Satan but it's a little "manga" cool, if that makes any sense. Like it'd show up with the exact same role in a fantasy shonen manga.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, do any non-doi demons have a special attack? I'm going through the showcases and none of the kaneko era seem to have one.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Magatsuhi skills might be reserved for "important" demons, which would probably gravitate towards the new designs.

Demons who prominently appeared in trailers like the Archangels and Surt might have their own.

Sep 14, 2018
Hmm, do any non-doi demons have a special attack? I'm going through the showcases and none of the kaneko era seem to have one.
King Frost and Alice I think. We haven't seen many of the ones that previously had unique attacks like Beelzebub, Trumpeteer and such. Though I remember from descriptions posted here of the showcases a bunch of skills tagged unique.

Nov 1, 2020
Shiisaa: 'kurai tsuki' +1 (4 MP)/Mazio +3 (12 MP)/Rakunda +2 (6 MP)
The ku in kurai is to eat; the rest is in hiragana so not sure what tsuki would be here. Anyway, it's a single target, small/weak power physical attack, with the 'higher power when a critical occurs' clause.

Jack Frost has Jack Bufula, which is Bufula + Rakunda in one. IIRC, we've seen glimpses of King Frost casting something with a unique name (was it King Bufula or something like that?), but no description... right, it was King Frost casting King Bufula in PV 02, right after Alice casts Shindekureru?/Die for Me!

Sep 14, 2018
If we are including old special attacks, we know that Alice still has "Die for Me!".
I giffed that one.

Jack Frost has Jack Bufula, which is Bufula + Rakunda in one. IIRC, we've seen glimpses of King Frost casting something with a unique name (was it King Bufula or something like that?), but no description... right, it was King Frost casting King Bufula in PV 02, right after Alice casts Shindekureru?/Die for Me!

I think they localized his unique attack as Cold World in SJR.

Nov 1, 2020
Hmm, it does look like it's Cold World in SJ and IV.

Looking at that Die for Me! gif...
Sooo...the localized version of the skill name is a command/imperative. But the original name in Japanese is a request, not a command. And looking at Alice's face in that gif, I'm split between whether her expression is complete deadpan while making a request, or it's 'yep, she's totally giving orders here'.

Sloth

Nov 27, 2017
It looks like the premium edition was available on amazon uk , Camelx3 shows the listing being active from the 4th. Just wondered if anyone got a copy, or if they've added it to the system but havent allowed orders yet?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the premium edition was available on amazon uk , Camelx3 shows the listing being active from the 4th. Just wondered if anyone got a copy, or if they've added it to the system but havent allowed orders yet?

Wario64 tweeted it and some people say they got orders in but it was OOS ~20 mins after posting.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019

Tomorrow who? No idea

I saw the tweet very late too

Fallen Eligor:
One of the 72 demons of the Lesser Key of Solomon. He appears as a knight. He has the power to see future events and is knowledgeable on war.
He uses Maragion and Fire Dracostrike (medium Strength-based Fire damage on one enemy), while Dark Sword and Blight (2-4 hits of weak Phys damage on random enemies; chance to inflict poison) are listed.
Next: Drake Basilisk

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
wow looks like Basilisk is next been a while since they have used this design

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Fallen Eligor:
One of the 72 demons of the Lesser Key of Solomon. He appears as a knight. He has the power to see future events and is knowledgeable on war.
He uses Maragion and Fire Dracostrike (medium Strength-based Fire damage on one enemy), while Dark Sword and Blight (2-4 hits of weak Phys damage on random enemies; chance to inflict poison) are listed.
Next: Drake Basilisk
Thanks a lot! I did not recognize it

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019

Brute Daemon

Today I'd like to introduce you to the demon "Daemon".
It was the first demon I designed for this game and alongside Angel, whom I talked about previously, it appears frequently throughout the story.
This is a low rank demon and it's treated as the counterpart to Angel.

In past games only the demons and angels with unique names and the "fallen angels" have appeared in Megaten, and as far as I know, there has never been a demon with a typical appearance like this one, that could have shown up in large numbers.
As mentioned in Angel's commentary the power struggle between Law and Chaos is shown throughout the story which made such a presentation necessary.

In terms of design it's quite simple. The black skin and red hair show it belongs to the forces of Chaos and the trident held in battle scenes with the Angels are all typical of devils.
Daemon was the first demon that I not only designed but also colored.
Since I still had plenty of time to work with then I had more fun than usual while coloring including being able to practice/research in deciding on a drawing style.

All of the illustrations in this game are colored using the "Grisaille" painting method where one starts with monochrome to create a three-dimensional effect and then adds color later.
I personally like to paint using brushes in a realistic fashion so this method suits me well because it allows me to enhance the three-dimensional look without relying too much on colors.
I paid a lot attention to the small details such as the muscles so please take notice of that too.

As a low-ranking demon in the game Daemon has a rather vile look and movements.
He is quite a fun demon so look forward to how he'll act.

Masayuki Doi

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will show more human characters or that's it.

I'm curious to see what else they can show in regards to the game.