• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was kind of odd even when they had the past protagonist DLC in Apocalypse they were limited to a single trial stage rather than actually joining as guest party members. They even had new illustrations for them by Doi just for that.

I'm currently playing Nocturne (completed the Amala Labyrinth and am currently exploring the Diet Building), but I think I want to check out Devil Survivor later due to the positive remarks I've seen here and elsewhere. From what I've seen elsewhere, the consensus seems to be to play Overclocked over the base game. Is that the right approach or is there any reason to play the base game over Overclocked?
Nope. Devil Survivor Overclocked fixes some design issues of the base game even before you get to the new story content. The only issue it has is that only 3 routes get the new 8th day content, rather than every single one.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
SMTIV is bad because it textually posits the inherent pointlessness of Shin Megami Tensei's main avenue of storytelling, but then asks you to keep going anyway with no real acknowledgement that any of it maters. The game itself is telling me this bullshit is played out and then expects me to still want to clown on Lucifer.

Nothing related to this topic or thread, just wanted to thank you for showing me "ispoiler" as another way to get the blured spoiler text. Been using "cross" to avoid the separate box that the normal "spoiler" tag gives.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how I made it through SMTIV without noticing Master Therion's bits. What in the world?

Oh yeah Megami Tensei through Shin Megami Tensei If are loaded with those designs, which I do feel is kind of appropriate given the association of demons with desires, and how the demon designs back then were really primal and violent as opposed to the more designed look they've gotten since Devil Summoner.

One of the demons from Devil Summoner, Rahu, is literally just a head on a plate with a giant dick coming out of it. When the game was re-released on PSP it was changed to a knife.

I don't know why it's there, from reading about the mythological Rahu he didn't have anything to do with dicks.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Master Therion is also just Aleister "Sexual Athlete" Crowley in demon form so it tracks

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
V__Vol008.gif
Haven't gotten to watch the Arioch video yet but holy shit @ the gif. In SMTIV they had elemental death animations (freeze and shatter, burn, blow away, bullet holes, etc.) but they were 2d sprites. This looks incredible in 3D and once again shows the decision to have less demons than the IV duology, but have them a hell of a lot more animated, was the right one.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
wonder if Thor and Loki will get the Odin treatment
While it's not really indication, the trailer that was at the Switch conference in 2017 had Thor in that group of demons using his most well known design, the one used in Nocturne and the other PS2-era games. If I remember correctly, BDSM Angel was not in that group in that trailer.

In the IV duology they used this Thor:

latest

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll should see Diana's uncensored design. It was only censored in the western version.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nocturne was a little better than standard LNC, but Devil Survivor was about the only game in the franchise where the routes were remotely interesting.

Devil Survivor probably has stronger routes because the story is more personal and everyone involved is part of a tightly knit group of friends so there's actually a lot of overlapping and interweaving going on, with some characters supporting you and others being upset that they have to oppose you. It was actually very clever to have characters leaving or joining your party depending on the route you chose.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Artemis_Efes_Museum.JPG

You guys would be surprised how many of Kaneko's designs are entirely mythologically accurate

To be fair, there's a difference between a statue showing a deity with a lot of ... chest, and a design of said deity with a "boob hat", "boob shoulderpads" ... and "boob kneecap protectors". ^^

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Artemis_Efes_Museum.JPG

You guys would be surprised how many of Kaneko's designs are entirely mythologically accurate
Yep, although I love that they can also be odd takes on the accuracy.

Arioch normally doesn't have anything to do with vaginas, but it's because he's known as "fierce lion". Lion = cat = pussy

Other than the mobile game, this is the first time we have had Arioch in 3D, right? I didn't play P5 Royal but I'm fairly certain he wasn't in the base P5.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Whilst on that subject, look at Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei's (Megami Tensei 2 remake's specifically) rendition of Artemis (later used as Maya's Persona with a complete redesign by Kaneko):

megamitensei.fandom.com

Artemis

Artemis is a demon in the series. 1 History 2 Appearances 3 Profile 3.1 Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei 3.2 Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE 3.3 Persona 2: Innocent Sin 3.4 Persona 2: Eternal Punishment 3.5 Devil Children White Book 3.6 DemiKids Light & Dark 4 Stats 4.1 Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei 4.1.1 Megami...

Nov 1, 2020
Huh, I never noticed Artemis in Kyuuyaku; I think that the backup replacement deities don't even appear if you manage to stick all the way to picking up Lucifer?

That list needs more Cthulhu. Hell, the series needs a return of Cthulhu.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I saw this little analysis of our current knowledge about SMTV's plot while looking through the Megaten subreddit. There's some interesting stuff here; I'll leave it spoiler tagged in-case anyone wants to go in truly blind.

frzt7pf3h7771.png

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I saw this little analysis of our current knowledge about SMTV's plot while looking through the Megaten subreddit. There's some interesting stuff here; I'll leave it spoiler tagged in-case anyone wants to go in truly blind.

frzt7pf3h7771.png
Just saw this as well on Reddit and was going to post it. Pretty good stuff and some really cool possibilities.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

frzt7pf3h7771.png
This is really neat and makes a lot of sense. I like the sound of it.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017

frzt7pf3h7771.png
I like that bit about "a man being reborn as 'more beautiful than a woman' is a symbol of purity and godliness and makes one closer to the divine" because it explains some of the protagonist's design that had previously felt sort of random.

Jun 24, 2019

frzt7pf3h7771.png

Pretty good analysis

I had a feeling that the beautification of the protagonist is intentional. There's the refute that he's supposed to fit the bishounen archtype, but I don't think that's the case. The MC is way too feminine to be one and the androgynous design plays a symbolic role... (and Studio Maniax was like "fuck it, you can't date waifus, you can at least play as one")

SMT Law reps tend to be characterised with feminine features. Heck, the most beefy law rep ends up having six tits!

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Huh... in the Arioch vid, it seems like you get half turns for inflicting ailments? Arioch hit those Ose with Makajamaon and got three half-turns. It's been a while since I played 4/4A, but that wasn't the case in those games right? Looks like they're trying to incentivize using ailment skills.

Nevermind, this doesn't look like it's actually the case. Would be cool though.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh... in the Arioch vid, it seems like you get half turns for inflicting ailments? Arioch hit those Ose with Makajamaon and got three half-turns. It's been a while since I played 4/4A, but that wasn't the case in those games right? Looks like they're trying to incentivize using ailment skills.

Oh shit that rocks.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Yooo are the death animations from IV back? That one demon that got hit with a bufu spell turned to ice and shattered. Loved those from IV, they actually got pretty brutal:

• Fatal gun attacks would have the enemy sprites have bloody bullet holes put in them
  • Fatal slash attacks would literally split the enemy sprites in two like a samurai movie cinematic
  • Fatal physical attacks caused the sprites to explode like meat balloons (nasty af once I realized what it was lol)
  • Fatal agi spells saw the enemy sprites burned to a crisp
  • Fatal bufu spells, as aforementioned, would have the enemy freeze solid and shatter
  • Fatal zio spells would electrify and char enemies
  • Fatal zan spells would have them fly away (hilarious in motion)
  • Fatal Megido spells would disintegrate enemies Thanos style.
This game is of course getting an M rating so let's get nasty with it!

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I think there was a cut between those 2 shots in the video. It'd be a cool change but I don't think thats the case

Nov 1, 2020
Not necessarily. I don't notice any changes in HP to those Ose or HP/MP of the rest of the party in between the turns that Arioch took, so I think that after Makajamaon, the rest of the party Passed to get back to Arioch. And we know from earlier that Passing got upgraded to converting the next full press turn to flashing.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I think there was a cut between those 2 shots in the video. It'd be a cool change but I don't think thats the case
Not necessarily. I don't notice any changes in HP to those Ose or HP/MP of the rest of the party in between the turns that Arioch took, so I think that after Makajamaon, the rest of the party Passed to get back to Arioch. And we know from earlier that Passing got upgraded to converting the next full press turn to flashing.
Ok yeah, now that I think about it, that's probably what's going on.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Outside of the UI they really seem to be going all out with this game. So many cool details and features.
Does nintendo do midnight releases? At what time can I play the game exactly?
Yeah they do. I think for Digital Only games they release 12pm EST day of release. But for games that are both Physical/Digital they unlock at 12am EST/9pm PST.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I'm playing Nocturne right now and it gives you press turns for ailments if the demon you hit them with is explicitly weak to ailments. For instance, using sexy gaze (inflicts charm, a mind-type ailment) on demons weak to mind ailments would give you a half turn. I don't recall it doing that in IV, but it could be that they are bringing that mechanic back from Nocturne.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm likely just a demon susceptible to status ailments which has been a thing

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I'm playing Nocturne right now and it gives you press turns for ailments if the demon you hit them with is explicitly weak to ailments. For instance, using sexy gaze (inflicts charm, a mind-type ailment) on demons weak to mind ailments would give you a half turn. I don't recall it doing that in IV, but it could be that they are bringing that mechanic back from Nocturne.
Hmm likely just a demon susceptible to status ailments which has been a thing
True, but there was no indication that Ose was weak to it, hence why I thought there might be something else going on. But as others have pointed out, they probably just cut footage of them passing the turn back to Arioch... converting three full turns to half-turns would actually be bad anyway, so I was definitely mistaken.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good analysis

I had a feeling that the beautification of the protagonist is intentional. There's the refute that he's supposed to fit the bishounen archtype, but I don't think that's the case. The MC is way too feminine to be one and the androgynous design plays a symbolic role... (and Studio Maniax was like "fuck it, you can't date waifus, you can at least play as one")

SMT Law reps tend to be characterised with feminine features. Heck, the most beefy law rep ends up having six tits!
I'm not convinced that it's Law-oriented, though. (Or definitely not in the Messianic sense.)

It definitely feels like we're thrust in the middle of the Angel vs. Demon conflict. At the very least, we definitely don't seem to be on God's side as a "condemned being". So I guess we're in league with the deities who were victims of something called "The Condemnation", or the ones who represent something more primordial/abstract (on Team Blue).

Jun 24, 2019
I'm not convinced that it's Law-oriented, though. (Or definitely not in the Messianic sense.)

It definitely feels like we're thrust in the middle of the Angel vs. Demon conflict. At the very least, we definitely don't seem to be on God's side as a "condemned being". So I guess we're in league with the deities who were victims of something called "The Condemnation", or the ones who represent something more primordial/abstract (on Team Blue).

I do agree that the MC is thrust into the war between Angels and Demons, but law doesn't need to be exclusive to Abrahamic religions.

The Nahobino could be defaulted as a law-aligned Shinto representative, and as he is the MC, it doesn't mean he'll go down that route. Sort of like Aleph in SMT II, and that game is very law themed.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that the MC is thrust into the war between Angels and Demons, but law doesn't need to be exclusive to Abrahamic religions.

The Nahobino could be defaulted as a law-aligned Shinto representative, and as he is the MC, it doesn't mean he'll go down that route. Sort of like Aleph in SMT II, and that game is very law themed.
Yeah, I just mean the main way Law has tended to be represented recently. I'm kind of hoping for something that eschews alignments all together, or at least does something very different with it (at least with how it deals with the Nahobino). Though the alignments are kind of a mess in general and end up being two sides of the same coin.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
One of the demons from Devil Summoner, Rahu, is literally just a head on a plate with a giant dick coming out of it. When the game was re-released on PSP it was changed to a knife.

I don't know why it's there, from reading about the mythological Rahu he didn't have anything to do with dicks.

Hahaha. I seriously think Kaneko just decided sometimes that it's "time for another phallic demon" randomly.

Jun 24, 2019
Yeah, I just mean the main way Law has tended to be represented recently. I'm kind of hoping for something that eschews alignments all together, or at least does something very different with it (at least with how it deals with the Nahobino). Though the alignments are kind of a mess in general and end up being two sides of the same coin.

Whole heartedly agree. On a positive note, it does seem like SMT V will shake it up. Reasons might return or offered something else entirely.

Jun 24, 2019
fv_main_visual_fd249b9a89531b7cb0d4ff46f2b21da6.jpg

I still think that the Shinto Priestess is chaos and the Egyptian God is neutral. But it's possible that it could be the other way round.

In SJR's cover art:

smt-strange-journey-redux---badcrop-1516237432734.jpg

It's very subtle but the direction of their gaze indicate their alignment. Jimenez gazes downwards, Zelenin looks above and Gore stare point blank at us.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
fv_main_visual_fd249b9a89531b7cb0d4ff46f2b21da6.jpg

I still think that the Shinto Priestess is chaos and the Egyptian God is neutral. But it's possible that it could be the other way round.

In SJR's cover art:

smt-strange-journey-redux---badcrop-1516237432734.jpg

It's very subtle but the direction of their gaze indicate their alignment. Jimenez gazes downwards, Zelenin looks above and Gore stare point blank at us.
Their placement is also on opposite sides of each other, while the woman in red and Gore are more in the middle.

IV also has chaos and law on the left and right (but no neutral unless you count Flynn, in the middle).