• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a regular version of this that isn't a steelbook or am I going to have to wait until that first print runs out? God, I hate steelbooks with a passion.

LOL, this is me. I don't mind them if they're additional items but I hate it when they're the actual case. I have so many of those on my shelf, messing up the consistency. All Atlus or Sega games, of course.

(Though Yakuza Remastered was even worse. I might legit rebuy that one someday if I see it cheap enough just for a regular case)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
made this a long time ago, can't believe I can use it again

Ej07qg8.png

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Speaking of Dx2, do the demons models from both Dx2 and the ones shown so far in the trailers for SMTV seem to be the same?

I don't play the mobile game but I remember a long while back looking at the models and thought they were very well done and can easily be scaled and transferred to SMTV or the next persona game

hunnies28

Sep 16, 2020
I was able to snag a pre order from Best Buy, card got charged instantly and received confirmation email. Still a bit sour on the experience as a whole though.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth checking GameStop's product page the day of or days after the release date. There may be a chance one of your local GameStop will have the premium in stock, so reserve it online if they do. This happened to me with Persona 5 and Royal.

Of course, ymmv.

Edit: There's some hope!

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's worth checking GameStop's product page the day of or days after the release date. There may be a chance one of your local GameStop will have the premium in stock, so reserve it online if they do. This happened to me with Persona 5 and Royal.

Of course, ymmv.

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose I got lucky enough getting the Metroid se, no way I was gonna be able to get this. If you're not awake or on the lookout at the exact time they decide to drop, then you have zero shot, you don't even get a few minutes.

Do these stores really not have any limits on the amount of copies you're allowed to buy? It needs to be one per costumer. Before COVID, it wasn't nearly this difficult getting these limited edition versions. Scalpers are so much worse than ever for any type of collectable hobby.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Of course, ymmv.

oh please... its nice of them to at least ackowledge that there was a lot of demand

Oct 25, 2017
Not true at all, I can remember some of the limited edition games and consoles selling out just as quickly in pre-Covid times.

Unless it's because they're barely making these, I never would've guessed an SMT game would sell out everywhere in seconds. Limited edition versions of Atlus games weren't instantly sold out like this. High demand things like the NES Classic or launch consoles were a nightmare, but to this degree for nearly every limited game too? Not like now. Besides many things being supply constrained, there also weren't bots on this level. You needs alerts set up to stand a chance now, and even then you're lucky to make it to checkout. It's so frustrating.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the Disgaea 1 collectors edition for switch has been in stock on the NiS america website since 2018, guess scalpers dont give a shit about that lmao

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe how big some of these demons are in the overworld.

It makes the world feel incredibly surreal lol.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
We don't have Law and Chaos characters revealed yet right?
No reveal yet, but they said the MC was going to meet his two friends I think. So they're probably it. Though that's assuming we get a traditional L/C/N path in this game which we may not. IVA was a deviation but technically IV was the last entry and was a standard L/N/C path so they may look to do something a little different again like Nocturne or IVA with something like Reasons again or something different.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Damn, I want to be in this thread and stay hyped for the game... because ever since that Japanese trailer, I've really wanted it.

But I'll probably be spoiled of the other games the longer I stay here and I hear that it's connected to that other game Nocturne.

I mean, they release that before they release this game?

Pretty sus if you ask me.

Oct 26, 2017
Unless it's because they're barely making these, I never would've guessed an SMT game would sell out everywhere in seconds. Limited edition versions of Atlus games weren't instantly sold out like this. High demand things like the NES Classic or launch consoles were a nightmare, but to this degree for nearly every limited game too? Not like now. Besides many things being supply constrained, there also weren't bots on this level. You needs alerts set up to stand a chance now, and even then you're lucky to make it to checkout. It's so frustrating.

Usually stock of these collector's/limited editions have very low allocations. Lower than what most people tend to estimate. We're talking like less than (at least) 1000 units planned for release.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I want to be in this thread and stay hyped for the game... because ever since that Japanese trailer, I've really wanted it.

But I'll probably be spoiled of the other games the longer I stay here and I hear that it's connected to that other game Nocturne.

No one actually knows if it's connected to Nocturne; they're just speculating based on some seeming setting similarities and that the dev team said they took some inspiration from it. The series doesn't usually have strong connections between games except for in explicit cases like IV to IV: Apocalypse.

Sep 14, 2018
They could bring in Alex from SJR as a guest, sort of like Raidou. Or like, Elizabeth from Persona. I'd rather they use their own characters for guests, if there are any.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

none of the SMT games are connect aside from the ones that are explicit (4A). there's hints and call backs at best. SMT5 will be no different

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
none of the SMT games are connect aside from the ones that are explicit (4A). there's hints and call backs at best. SMT5 will be no different
Ugh, I feel like I need one more reason to get Nocturne, but nothing's really sealing the deal, so to speak. Usually, I don't mind playing a game as long as it has a sequel or will have one in the future. Otherwise, the fun just kinda ends.

Ah well, maybe I'll get it anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
Usually stock of these collector's/limited editions have very low allocations. Lower than what most people tend to estimate. We're talking like less than (at least) 1000 units planned for release.

Yeah, going by their Tweet, it's definitely clear Atlus didn't expect the demand for this. Hopefully they can make enough available for those that really want one and don't want to resort to scalper prices. I still expect the next wave to get instantly scooped by scalpers though.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Of course, ymmv.

Was about to post this. I hope this turns out well for everyone that couldn't get it yet.

Oct 26, 2017
No reveal yet, but they said the MC was going to meet his two friends I think. So they're probably it. Though that's assuming we get a traditional L/C/N path in this game which we may not. IVA was a deviation but technically IV was the last entry and was a standard L/N/C path so they may look to do something a little different again like Nocturne or IVA with something like Reasons again or something different.
not officially but the cover art is... not subtle, and there's voice overs in the gameplay trailer where some girl from normal tokyo is talking so
I hope they do some deviation from the alignments again. But I'm really excited for the other character's designs.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i had today and yesterday off from work, but i work 16 hours over the next 2 days, not looking good

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they do some deviation from the alignments again. But I'm really excited for the other character's designs.

when famitsu put out their first official smt4 spread and it had the five samurai i had hoped it'd be more of a smt2 moment where the characters don't just become alignment bots, so hope is a dangerous thing to have.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Famitsu screenshots def show quite a few scenes in normal Tokyo. We have stuff in the school, at the train station and prior to the tunnel before Da'at. I really hope it plays some kind of role later on and isn't just some glorified intro that we never see again. Worlds colliding is always fun. It's just more fun when we get to see the average Joe freak out when demons start appearing.

I'm cool with them doing L/C/N so long as they are done well and are interesting to explore, but I would certainly be very happy with something a little different. Reasons were great and so were the Divine Powers. No reason they can't do a mix of them both either. You could still have a fairly straight forward L/C/N system throughout most of the game but the include a wild card or two like the Divine Powers that can totally upend things at critical points in the story.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last thing this game needs is to be about Law/Neutral/Chaos in as fucking boring a way as SMTIV.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
saw the famitsu scans. not much new other than the school and the train station conversations. wonder how much of this has depth or if it will be like the beginning of SMT3

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
If this game is similar (in aspects) to Nocturne as it appears hopefully it won't be a standard L/C/N story. That said Nocturne also has the True Demon Ending so probably no harm in throwing a curveball like that as well.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably one of the bigger disappointments for me with that game. Even Strange Journey was better about it.

Strange Journey is one of three games in the entire franchise to appropriately do Law/Neutral/Chaos, and both it and Devil Survivor got broke ass remakes that made them suck.

I am over the idea, to be frank. Let alone the actual quality of the stories, I cannot stand the thought of knowing exactly what will happen going into Shin Megami Tensei V and exactly how it will end. I don't want to be here if this is another rehash.

(SMT1 remains pure but it started the whole thing and never got a shitty remake)

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing through Nocturne and absolutely loving it. I was able to pre-order the special edition and I'm really excited to play this at the end of the year :)