• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, what do y'all expect to be the first game to use these models that isn't SMT5. Basically, what's the first follow-up you think happens (or just want lol)?

Is it a remake, continuation of an established spinoff line, or a new one?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, what do y'all expect to be the first game to use these models that isn't SMT5. Basically, what's the first follow-up you think happens (or just want lol)?

Devil Summoner x Yakuza Like a Dragon

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Don't remind me. Actually recorded myself fighting every optional fiend in IV and uploaded them to youtube years ago. I wanna say I was the first person to do that for the english version of the game. I don't have the time these days to be doing that again lol.
Oh cool, I probably watched your vids then lol. I didn't have to patience to encounter them in that one.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Was such bs to encounter them lol. Must have put in over 100 hours into SMTIV, I just couldn't be arsed with the Fiends after that. Nocturne's way of encountering the Fiends as part of the story was 100x better. Wonder if Doi will do redesigns for them too? And if we will get a new Fiend or two?
SMTIV did have a new fiend (Chemtrail) although they dropped it when they dropped the guest designed demons in Apocalypse (aside from a few which got new Doi art). So, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new Doi fiend. I don't think they'd redesign existing ones though, it'd be a new concept.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017

hard to say. Atlus also has unique demons for P5 and didn't use them for anything except for Strikers. Now they've done new designs for SMTV too. Atlus current gen output doesn't even compare to their PS2, DS/3DS library. I genuinely can't picture them making anything else for Switch or PS4.

I think the quickest title they could put out would be a new Devil Survivor. Smaller 3d rotatable maps (maybe reusing the Tokyo assets from P5) with these current demon designs/animations. Maybe with a separate attack screen. Menu based travel with visual novel talking heads narrative. Anything grander seems to trip them up.

edit: I think theyre moving on to Re:Fantasy next.

Last edited:

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

New spin-off methinks, though I would mind a Devil Survivor 3 with these models and engine.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the same way Cu Chulainn is pronounced Cu Hoolan and Cait Sith is pronounced Ket She

Cait Sith's name being correctly pronounced in FFVIIR is gonna drive so many people mad.
Watch them still pronounce it "Kate Sith" just because everyone has pronounced it that way
Oh man I completely forgot about the guest artists thing in IV. Some of the designs were super jarring. Those ones especially. They did that style pretty well in Bayonetta with a kind of unsettling quality to them rather than intentional nightmare fuel.
Minotaur's design was easily one of the best guest demons in that game. I loved the series of optical illusions there.

I'm still missing both DDS :( I really really hope Atlus remasters them for the Switch, but they are so random with what they do.
Indeed, more people need to experience the DDS games, and I think they would be quite surprised with what they have missed out on for all these years.

Probably an IV: Apocalypse style sequel to V. I'm not entirely sure if the models here are exactly the same as the Persona 5 ones, but it's hard to tell because of the red/black shading on all the Persona 5 ones. Some are obviously new, such as the touched up Jack Frost. I don't think Moh Shuvuu or Ubellurius was in Persona 5 or Royal if I'm not mistaken.

I'm also pretty sure the Dx2 models are entirely different from all the other 3D Kaneko demons. Those models are one of the few great things about Dx2.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Seems like a good time to capitalize off of Fire Emblem's newfound popularity. (SMT x FE crossover, part two.)

It'd be cool if they did an actual SMT x FE mechanical crossover this time instead of the mediocre SMT game with minor lip service given to FE mechanics we got the first time.

Still have no idea why they didn't make TMS an SRPG...

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Really excited for SMTV. The form of the protagonist reminds me of a male KOS-MOS. It's the hair lol

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
First game post SMT5 has got to be a return to Devil Summoner series, surely? Kazayuki Yamai is the series director (aside from the first two which was Cozy Okada's games, I think?) and still at ATLUS.

That's just one of Zeed's forms from Soul Hackers repurposed as a boss in Devil Summoner PSP.
As Weiss said, this is not David, it is the top "Human" form Zeed from Soul Hackers. It was retroactively given the name David (probably as in the Biblical king) in the Devil Summoner PSP port, along with some other arbitrarily named forms, and it has nothing to do with Fiend David. The wiki having them on the same page causes some unfortunate confusion.

Oh fair enough. Threw me off, thought it was a DS1 only redesign which got thrown out later in favour of the classic design.

SMTIV did have a new fiend (Chemtrail) although they dropped it when they dropped the guest designed demons in Apocalypse (aside from a few which got new Doi art). So, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new Doi fiend. I don't think they'd redesign existing ones though, it'd be a new concept.

Yeah, Doi had the baggage of working with the guest artists designs of IV during Apoc's development and trying to make them work better with Kaneko's designs, so Doi didn't really get to go all out last time but the ones that he came up with for Apocalypse were all good I thought. I honestly thought his redesign of Sukuna-Hikona for example is better than Kaneko's design. I'll take whatever he's got, I'm up for change. Not like ATLUS don't go back to certain classic designs anyway between releases (like Kaneko's Nocturne designs in their DS games which instead used Kaneko's designs from earlier entries instead).

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Chemtrail makes it in V, I was bummed it was left out of IV:A because the Fiends were way easier to encounter in that one.

Serrato

Oct 25, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
The first SMT game I played was Soul Hackers and I was barely able to scrounge a team to beat the final boss in those days. Since I played Nocturne, IV, IV-A, Strange Journey.

Whatever the game throws at me I should be fine. Especially when you know how to get easy super strong demons like Shiva.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Allow me to take this opportunity to pitch Devil Summoner x Yakuza Like a Dragon to y'all.

- Dense urban environment that gradually opens up over the course of the game (as a fun fact, Yokohama, the setting of LaD, was the basis for Devil Summoner's Hirasaka City). Every once in a while you enter into a dungeon that is a normal urban space twisted by demonic magic into a dungeon environment.

- Hero character who can't use magic and spellcasting heroine partner. Maximum three demons for a five-man party.

- Turn based combat that uses something other than Press Turn to give Devil Summoner more of an identity.

- Main character runs the Kuzunoha Detective Agency and it's where you pick up sidequests like in Judgment.

I came up with this idea a year ago and actually playing Like a Dragon crystalized what it'd look like in my head. Even the name is a positive, I think, as Devil Summoner is an efficient and pointed name that sells what the game is about in a way that Shin Megami Tensei doesn't really mean anything to English speakers.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
With only 214 demons total, I wonder if they're going to make each one feel more important or be viable for longer. It sounds like they all have a unique attack now? Maybe they'll change it where demons don't massively slow down in leveling up after awhile.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, more people need to experience the DDS games, and I think they would be quite surprised with what they have missed out on for all these years.

I discovered the series pretty late into my PS2's life, and it ended up dying before I could play DDS. I've been meaning to play them on the PS3 since forever, but now that we have SMT3 remastered, I'm eagerly waiting for Atlus to remaster them too. I'm sure I will enjoy the hell out of these games.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
My shame is that I never finished DDS2. I got to Abaddon and just could not get past it and wasn't down for the grind to get my characters to the point where I could. Damnit Cielo.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio

Bleh, not a fan of the box art. It's got that Fire Emblem Houses vibe of characters at weird angles.

Dsezer

Sep 22, 2020
I honestly think the US box art looks amazing! I will preorder this to play and have the Japanese CE set aside for my collection

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
237333_front.jpg

598729_front.jpg

definitely prefer 4 and 4A's box arts

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019

I still have hope for a new Raidou title further down the line. Nocturne connects current players to Raidou AND P5 has a few mechanics borrowed from it. I hope P5 is a secret testing zone for it. Would love to see those investigation segments on current gen consoles.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
My shame is that I never finished DDS2. I got to Abaddon and just could not get past it and wasn't down for the grind to get my characters to the point where I could. Damnit Cielo.
Oh man, you stopped right before some wild times. I hope you do get back to it in the future. The DDS duology is probably tied with Nocturne for my favorite MegaTens.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the box art either, looks really busy, the colors don't match well.

But I will be there D1 nonetheless.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017

Bleh, not a fan of the box art. It's got that Fire Emblem Houses vibe of characters at weird angles.

I feel like the box art here stands out a lot more compared to say the box art of 4 and Apocolypse. It looks a bit more inviting especially with the MC design looking great.

They are really trying to get this series to break out in the West. Nintendo did a good job with 4 now it's time to push it further.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hmmm, will Krishna come back in this? Or be a recruitable demon?

EDIT: I like the box art more than SMTIV: Apocalypse's and around the same as SMTIV's (I'd argue both of those box arts are similarly "busy", maybe even moreso with SMTIV's which has loads of demons in the background on the front cover).