• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't imported a game in over a decade. For worldwide releases like this, could I expect English options on a JP cart, or likely not? I really want that collectors edition too....
We'll know once the eShop page is up, eShop pages always list supported languages. I don't see it right now though.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to try this game out, but it does look a bit rough. Hoping most of that is hammered out just by running on new hardware later this year

I need to watch the treehouse to get a better feel for it, but I'm very happy with the protagonist. That hair

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I think this game is the only turn-based RPG that has ever made me go "I'd like to see more of the out-of-combat movement, because it looks really cool."
This might win the title of "best out of combat movement in a turn-based RPG"

Which, yeah, not exactly a competitive field but it does look really good. Hopefully it's actually useful for traversal and such

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
The world just looks a bit bland and bleak. Eg there's not much that's interesting or characterful shown in the trailer outside of the enemies themselves. Would have been nice to see more interesting locales, mechanics, exploration, cities, NPC's etc. Also found the VA narration to sound a bit cheesy and forced.

Game could be amazing, I just don't think this trailer really did a great job showing something really special, at least not for me.

Bleak works for Dark Souls, and SMT has a tradition of bleakness. That being said we don't know yet what the world will be like. We had a 3 min trailer, 15 mins of treehouse game play of a probably 50-70 hour game. There's definitely a lot of diversity in the world. And we still don't know what the protagonist home world will play in the game.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The world just looks a bit bland and bleak. Eg there's not much that's interesting or characterful shown in the trailer outside of the enemies themselves. Would have been nice to see more interesting locales, mechanics, exploration, cities, NPC's etc. Also found the VA narration to sound a bit cheesy and forced.

Game could be amazing, I just don't think this trailer really did a great job showing something really special, at least not for me.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bleak works for Dark Souls, and SMT has a tradition of bleakness. That being said we don't know yet what the world will be like. We had a 3 min trailer, 15 mins of treehouse game play of a probably 50-70 hour game. There's definitely a lot of diversity in the world. And we still don't know what the protagonist home world will play in the game.

That may well be true, but we can only go by what they showed off. And traditionally trailers like this are supposed to up the excitement ante by showing off the kind of diversity or visual splendor the game world's etc entail. I just didn't feel this trailer did that.

This is so much better. Still too much focus on combat for me (essentially dungeon crawler but outdoors), but at least the visual variety here in the locations etc is stronger. They should have just spliced snippets from this on to the US trailer.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
That may well be true, but we can only go by what they showed off. And traditionally trailers like this are supposed to up the excitement ante by showing off the kind of diversity or visual splendor the game world's etc entail. I just didn't feel this trailer did that.

This is so much better. Still too much focus on combat for me (essentially dungeon crawler but outdoors), but at least the visual variety here in the locations etc is stronger. They should have just spliced snippets from this on to the US trailer.

Have you played an SMT game?

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Wish they sold the story hook better. I don't have a good sense for the game outside of it being standard SMT combat.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty bad main character design before and after the fusion. Visual IQ looks pretty rough too. It's SMT so I will be there day 1 anyway.

Oct 31, 2017
Really can't wait for this one! Like I'm really surprised how beautiful it looks. Really exceeded my expectations. Right now I'm playing Nocturne HD in anticipation of this game. November can't come soon enough :((

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017

There's still time until November, so I wouldn't be surprised if they showed off some more before then. This is really the first time they showed any gameplay at all.

Anyway, the SMT franchise features some of the most interesting depictions of post-apocalyptic societies (human or otherwise) I've seen in gaming, so I'm not too worried on that front. This will skew less cyberpunk than usual, but I'm sure it will be disturbing, and I don't think there has been an SMT game set in (or around) Tokyo without towns or districts to enter. They've usually been good at having visually distinct areas, too, so we've definitely only scratched the surface.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Never played this series but i was very impressed. Where do i start if i want to get into the series?

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Finally got a chance to look at the treehouse...it plays exactly as you'd suspect. Looks real fun, but my god the pop in. I know it's probably an early build, but this could definitely use some extra juice if you know what I mean

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Does this gMe has anything besides dungeon crawling? I love persona and TMS was good enough. The battle system im TokyoMS was pretty good actually, better than Persona 5.

Does SMT usually have a good story?
SMT is structurally a dungeon crawling series, so that's the focus. Dungeons and combat. IV/A had a lot of sidequests as well, though I wouldn't say most were anything super impressive.

As for story: yes, but it's not like the usual story with a heavy focus on characters. It's more like... philosophical warfare. The characters are more vessels for ideology than fully rounded characters.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Never played this series but i was very impressed. Where do i start if i want to get into the series?
With V, or the Nocturne Remaster, or IV on the 3DS. The games are largely all standalone for the most part. Like II is a sequel to I but mostly just in terms of the setting/timeline, and IV:Apocalypse is a direct sequel to IV, but otherwise there's not some overarching narrative of any kind you need to follow or worry about. You can jump in anywhere.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
Have you played an SMT game?
I was going to say that lmao.

Guys c'mon, don't so rough. I consider myself a fan of the SMT series, but I still consider colour variety to be an achievable objective. Look at strange journey. Antila with blues, coloful bootes, modern carina, brown delphinus, green eridanus

I get the concept of colours expressing desolation, but you can still have variety, and I think a lot is possible. SMT 5 being a barren desert world isn't too out of the norm, but I also hope they complement with other variegated colours and worlds.

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
User Warned: Drive-By Trolling
overworld looks like a 3ds game. gonna have to pass, sadly. not going to pay full price for a budget game.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
overworld looks like a 3ds game. gonna have to pass, sadly. not going to pay full price for a budget game.

tenor.gif

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Guys c'mon, don't so rough. I consider myself a fan of the SMT series, but I still consider colour variety to be an achievable objective. Look at strange journey. Antila with blues, coloful bootes, modern carina, brown delphinus, green eridanus

I get the concept of colours expressing desolation, but you can still have variety, and I think a lot is possible. SMT 5 being a barren desert world isn't too out of the norm, but I also hope they complement with other variegated colours and worlds.
No gatekeeping SMT pls, we want new people to get into the series.
I mean, all they did was ask if they played a SMT game, because what they said isn't typical of a SMT game
Not being rough or gatekeeping at all

Only one I played was III, which I didn't actually finish or enjoy all that much. So I'm basically pretty new to the franchise. Perhaps I just need to give it another go.
Hopefully you can get back into 3, because even though V is still obviously in production, its showing some similarities to 3, and 3 is also good, just really bleak which may or may not be your thing

Verder

Oct 28, 2017

this kinda reaching my guy. Its definitely a switch title but to say a 3ds game? LOL

for the limiting hardware of the current switch power id say it does a pretty good job. and the animations are great.

some of thee most gorgeous looking games end up being the least fun thoooo

chadboban

May 27, 2020

The Japanese trailer shows more variety if you're interested and doesnt include the VA narration.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
this kinda reaching my guy. Its definitely a switch title but to say a 3ds game? LOL

for the limiting hardware of the current switch power id say it does a pretty good job. and the animations are great.

some of thee most gorgeous looking games end up being the least fun thoooo
Having more animations than just the usual ones for each demon is *chef's kiss*

Verder

Oct 28, 2017

a part of me thinks the demon amount may be lower than an average SMT game but the demons will have unique animations...

or they can go balls to wall and go crazy animation on 400+ demons (probably not gonna do that)

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
a part of me thinks the demon amount may be lower than an average SMT game but the demons will have unique animations...

or they can go balls to wall and go crazy animation on 400+ demons (probably not gonna do that)
We already know there'll be ~200 demons. So yeah, smaller roster, but more realized.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I mean, that's SMT. It's essentially a dungeon crawler with a story packed with philosophy and occult in the background.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like maybe one major problem with Doi is also down to Atlus. Like the pedo mermaid design that they love shoving in our faces (even in this trailer) had other variations that looked a lot better. I remember seeing another Satan concept that was more like a multi-headed serpent that was still kinda generic, but nailed what it was going for better than the humanoid one in the final game. So maybe some executive meddling keeps vetoing his better designs.

Still, I wouldn't want to see any of the classic Kaneko designs getting replaced by newer ones. Let Doi make new demons but keep the old ones as is.
No joke, most if not all of Doi's concept art is better than the final product.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I was so happy with the trailer. Too bad they didn't show too much gameplay during the Treehouse Live segment, but maybe they weren't allowed. I'm getting very strong Nocturne vibes from the game, which isn't a bad thing. Love how the main character looks in their "fused" form. November can't come soon enough. We've waited so long for this game and I'm so happy that it's finally happening. My highlight of the Direct alongside the new Metroid.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
I was so happy with the trailer. Too bad they didn't show too much gameplay during the Treehouse Live segment, but maybe they weren't allowed. I'm getting very strong Nocturne vibes from the game, which isn't a bad thing. Love how the main character looks in their "fused" form. November can't come soon enough. We've waited so long for this game and I'm so happy that it's finally happening. My highlight of the Direct alongside the new Metroid.

Atlus Japan is doing a separate live stream tomorow at 9 am EST. for the home market. Usually those tend to be longer with more stuff shown.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857

Yep, and it seems that it's just not in the overworld either.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Pixie's idle battle animation is slightly changed too right? I think during the Treehouse video, you see her kicking her feet and then doing a twirl as part of it as the guy playing was slowly picking his commands. Everything else was the same