• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I just hope they spent time making exploration fun and worthwhile, and not simply making areas large and open for no reason. Or perhaps most of the game isn't all that expansive.

I haven't imported a game in over a decade. For worldwide releases like this, could I expect English options on a JP cart, or likely not? I really want that collectors edition too....
This is also their first (I think) so there's no precedent. Not sure.

So that JP trailer seems to imply that "real Tokyo" isn't real. That the MC has awakened out of a matrix world? Oh boy…excited.
This is better, and basically what I was imagining earlier.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched the trailer.

Y'all...we're still using some of the SMT3 models? After this long? Hua Po, Beelzebub and Jack Frost all look like retextured SMT3 models. Or are they just completely rebuilt models that are SUPER honorable to the original designs?

Like I guess I'm not gonna be MAD if they are, but I was hoping we'd finally get an overhaul on demon designs that wasn't...whatever SMTIV was trying to do.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I probably shouldn't play Nocturne right? Will that burn me out?

No, but if you're new to SMT, just use a guide when you start to feel frustrated. The game is great, but punishing at times. Using a guide for some tough early battles will honestly just help you better understand how to use and abuse the mechanics for later fights. It won't ruin anything for ya.

The QOL features of SMT V will make it harder to go back and play Nocturne later, so give it a go now. Just expect 16-bit era JRPG QOL issues and use a guide whenever you want. The game has deep mechanics and a guide makes it easier to explore and enjoy them.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
That looked hot.

Funny that playing #FE has kind of gotten me ready to play this

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Y'all...we're still using some of the SMT3 models? After this long? Hua Po, Beelzebub and Jack Frost all look like retextured SMT3 models. Or are they just completely rebuilt models that are SUPER honorable to the original designs?

Like I guess I'm not gonna be MAD if they are, but I was hoping we'd finally get an overhaul on demon designs that wasn't...whatever SMTIV was trying to do.

Most of the models are from Persona 5. They're all new, but I imagine a lot of the animations are kept familiar.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
If you're new to SMT, the series is still really very unique, so I'd say it's harder to burn out on to a newcomer than other series might be, at least for a while.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

Nah man, keep the kaneko designs as faithful as possible. I don't wanna see Doi-ified versions of my demon bros.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I am big Persona and SMT fan but tbh, I do get "burnt out" from SMT games. That's not a good word to use because I enjoy them all the way, but I personally need a break from the gameplay loop and dungeons in between games.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah man, keep the kaneko designs as faithful as possible. I don't wanna see Doi-ified versions of my demon bros.

The new demons already look pretty good.

The new Apocalypse designs (as well as redesigning some of the SMTIV demons in line with Kaneko's style) was good and then he briefly went off the rails with Strange Journey Redux. Now he's gucci again.

Sep 14, 2018
Already iconic. E3 saved, your faves in shambles.

228a0ffe9192761ea195dc27a6cc6a59ef671bd0.gifv

30f14739358808443d57ade1c7b53589107c02e0.gifv

52052096d1910d740ea4d35ec7b04ecfbb02861f.gifv

Dec 23, 2017
So uh, I never played SMT. Well...that isn't really true, I've only played Persona 4, SMT Imagine, and SMT Devil Survivor. I couldn't bring myself to play Devil Survivor though, I got bored.

SMTV kinda reminded me of Xenosaga a bit where the character is running on the overworld and runs into enemies to initiate turn based combat.

I wonder if this would be something I'd like. :o

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

The new Apocalypse designs (as well as redesigning some of the SMTIV demons in line with Kaneko's style) was good and then he briefly went off the rails with Strange Journey Redux. Now he's gucci again.
I wish they could have kept the good guest demons from IV. Minotaur's design was excellent.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, I never played SMT. Well...that isn't really true, I've only played Persona 4, SMT Imagine, and SMT Devil Survivor. I couldn't bring myself to play Devil Survivor though, I got bored.

SMTV kinda reminded me of Xenosaga a bit where the character is running on the overworld and runs into enemies to initiate turn based combat.

I wonder if this would be something I'd like. :o

There are a lot of SMT games out there and a lot of places to start. Generally you're better off finding the newest one since it'll smooth you into the SMT experience and teach you all the fundamentals of playing these games.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like maybe one major problem with Doi is also down to Atlus. Like the pedo mermaid design that they love shoving in our faces (even in this trailer) had other variations that looked a lot better. I remember seeing another Satan concept that was more like a multi-headed serpent that was still kinda generic, but nailed what it was going for better than the humanoid one in the final game. So maybe some executive meddling keeps vetoing his better designs.

Still, I wouldn't want to see any of the classic Kaneko designs getting replaced by newer ones. Let Doi make new demons but keep the old ones as is.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so when's the twist that the alternate dimension isn't such but your own in the future or whatever

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The world just looks a bit bland and bleak. Eg there's not much that's interesting or characterful shown in the trailer outside of the enemies themselves. Would have been nice to see more interesting locales, mechanics, exploration, cities, NPC's etc. Also found the VA narration to sound a bit cheesy and forced.

Game could be amazing, I just don't think this trailer really did a great job showing something really special, at least not for me.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think this game is the only turn-based RPG that has ever made me go "I'd like to see more of the out-of-combat movement, because it looks really cool."

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Does this gMe has anything besides dungeon crawling? I love persona and TMS was good enough. The battle system im TokyoMS was pretty good actually, better than Persona 5.

Does SMT usually have a good story?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
literally one of the first NPC demons they talked to on treehouse was like "yeah this used to be the human world until like 20 years ago now it's a demon world" sso
that's why I'm expecting that twist. the synopsis from the trailer implies that it's an alt dimension, but this series has done the time skip before. let's rip that bandaid off