• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
SMTV previews are going up today. Journalists and others have the game currently. I'll try to keep this updated periodically, feel free to post more as you find them (or posted them yourself if you were writing one)

bloody-disgusting.com

[Hands-On Preview] ‘Shin Megami Tensei V’ is Shaping Up to Be a Modern Spin on ‘Nocturne’

Shin Megami Tensei V is the latest entry in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise coming to Nintendo Switch on November 11. This series, while having a sizable fanbase, has been overshadowed by its spin-off franchise, Persona. The last fully original 3D game in the series was 2003’s Shin Megami...

themakoreactor.com

Shin Megami Tensei V Preview – A Lot of Promise and an Amazing Soundtrack So Far • The Mako Reactor

Shin Megami Tensei V is shaping up to be something special on Nintendo Switch. Read our Shin Megami Tensei V preview here based on the opening hours of the game.

www.siliconera.com

Preview: The SMT V Story Swiftly Introduces Us to a World of Demons

The SMT V story immediately pulls people into a new world and introduces them to demons and both new and old game mechanics.

www.polygon.com

As a Persona player, Shin Megami Tensei 5 felt dark, challenging, and intriguing

The game has a lot to offer fans of Atlus’ JRPGs

Last edited:

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
The Mako Reactor's preview:
themakoreactor.com

Shin Megami Tensei V Preview – A Lot of Promise and an Amazing Soundtrack So Far • The Mako Reactor

Shin Megami Tensei V is shaping up to be something special on Nintendo Switch. Read our Shin Megami Tensei V preview here based on the opening hours of the game.
Oh shit, there is a traditional world map in this one? Am I crazy or is that the first time that has been shown? Maybe it is only in normal Tokyo?

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
The Mako Reactor's preview:
themakoreactor.com

What's the deal with this screenshot? Is this only in the "normal" Tokyo and not Da'at or what?

shin-megami-tensei-v-preview-gameplay-map-1024x576.jpg

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
If you are in the mood to watch your blood pressure rise, go read the Polygon preview.
Through the first half of it I thought "Oh this doesn't seem so bad, a lot of people are going to be going from only playing Persona to this, so it might be a good thing to get that point of view." and then I read about how it's a "stripped down Persona 5" and I see that's where rising blood pressures result from.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with this screenshot? Is this only in the "normal" Tokyo and not Da'at or what?

shin-megami-tensei-v-preview-gameplay-map-1024x576.jpg
Please, please, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase tell me this is not something we get to faff about with just in the opening. I need one for the actual meat of the game.

Also, the lighting is super weird / they're going for a toy look there and I'm not a fan of it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Through the first half of it I thought "Oh this doesn't seem so bad, a lot of people are going to be going from only playing Persona to this, so it might be a good thing to get that point of view." and then I read about how it's a "stripped down Persona 5" and I see that's where rising blood pressures result from.
Wtf that sounds Great. As great as persona is, i was wishing for something thats more about the encounters instead of all the relationships stuff lol. Its nuts someone sees that as a negative

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
ho ho ho ho ho what the fuck?????

time to ingest a shit ton of SMTV content phew

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Please, please, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase tell me this is not something we get to faff about with just in the opening. I need one for the actual meat of the game.

Also, the lighting is super weird / they're going for a toy look there and I'm not a fan of it.

It's literally the same aesthetic that was used in Nocturne.

nocturne-world-map.png

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
why is this so fucking close to Endwalker gaddamnit.......

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Nocturne does have an overworld map in the fuol game, also i feel that tokyo will get over tun by demons from daat and we will traverse both
Right, but I meant as the pre-Conception map, where it's just a straight up city streets rather than the mostly desert thing the post-Conception map has.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
... Very clearly no? That's the typical look they use for these, but there's no texturing on buildings or anything else here to make it look like a scale replica.
Oh yeah, you're right about the texturing being different. I guess they're going for a more abstract look like in the old SMTs or the Devil Summoner series.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
The Mako Reactor said:
Based on what I can talk about from what I've played of Shin Megami Tensei V, this feels like it could join the ranks of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Octopath Traveler as the best JRPGs on the system

you had me at Based!

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I loved SMT IV when I played it last year and this looks like the sequel I needed. The soundtrack alone will be worth it.
Holy shit the game is around the corner!

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
my ass will NOT be clicking on bait articles that insert Persona into the review somehow
or most articles really after the launch of SMT4, i dont see this game doing anything bad that a usual fan of SMT would be shocked at
(unless Atlus learned the wrong lesson from SMT4A......)

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, the preview felt fine from someone who's main exposure with atlus titles comes from persona. I feel like people are misconstruing the "stripped down combat" part as the writer seems to be mostly talking about how the differing aspects of the game help feed back into the combat which isn't something smt has really done in the past (nor needs to). They seem to enjoy it and possibly should have focused on smt stand alone more, but I think it's a worthwhile preview as there are likely a lot of people approaching smt v in a similar manner as the writer.

SMT4A is also the best smt game by far though, so maybe my opinion is worthless lol.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
wonder how long until ana diaz gets harassment over a fuckin video game preview
I doubt it. As much as smt fans might get annoyed at the comparisons most smt fans also like persona (and every other smt spinoff series) and just meme comparisons between mainline and persona from the press like on that smt4 image in this thread

Mar 19, 2021
What's wrong with wishing it was more like Persona? If you've never played SMT but have played Persona, that is a valid opinion to have…

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Please discuss here:

www.resetera.com

Shin Megami Tensei 5 Previews Sega

https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2021/10/25/shin-megami-tensei-v-has-taken-the-series-to-a-new-level-and-its-absolutely-incredible/ https://themakoreactor.com/features/shin-megami-tensei-v-preview-english-gameplay-nintendo-switch-docked-handheld-abscess-soundtrack/30952/...

Status
Not open for further replies.