• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
SMT breddas only. We gonna eat fam

SMT4 soundtrack slaps unneccesarily hard. The abundance of fire was not needed lol

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
The sidequest grind at the end of that route made me not finish it. Hope we don't see the same in V

This is exactly me. I managed to nail the Neutral route on my first playthrough just based on absurd luck/intuition (and I had to reload the "locking in choice" in the Monochromatic Forest out of curiosity) but when I realized I had to finish almost all of my incomplete side quests to beat the game, I gave up lol.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I just realised something, the trailer is going to be shown in a matter of 2 weeks and we should hear English dub too.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Okay well you're way smarter than me if you picked up on that in that trailer. The way the leak reads sounds like a P5 Mementos style narrative hook.

Don't be so hard on yourself, haha. It's possible you just don't remember. The first trailer had "Da'at" and "Shekinah Glory" as keywords. We didn't know the world itself was called Da'at, but those were mentioned as general themes. And I think the second trailer does show the protagonist forming a pact of some sort, or at least that's what everyone assumed was going on when the ribbons wrapped around his arm.

Smt4 apocalypse is based on that ending...so it's the canon ending.

Apocalypse is more or less a "what-if" game, so I don't know if that necessarily prevents the Law/Chaos endings of 4 from being equally valid. (But yeah, Neutral is the most full-featured/meaty path like always)

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Don't be so hard on yourself, haha. It's possible you just don't remember. The first trailer had "Da'at" and "Shekinah Glory" as keywords. We didn't know the world itself was called Da'at, but those were mentioned as general themes. And I think the second trailer does show the protagonist forming a pact of some sort, or at least that's what everyone assumed was going on when the ribbons wrapped around his arm.

Apocalypse is more or less a "what-if" game, so I don't know if that necessarily prevents the Law/Chaos endings of 4 from being equally valid. (But yeah, Neutral is the most full-featured/meaty path like always)

I wonder if the MC can enter and leave the alternate world as the game progresses. Would be cool to have a light/dark world kind of gameplay hook. The way the leak mentions the MC "wanders" by accident into the world implies it's not a Nocturne type of apocalypse. Would be neat to see areas of Tokyo in changed between the two worlds.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Sweet.

Currently replaying SMT3. Hope we'll get SMT4 on the Switch eventually as well.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Oh? You an insider at ATLUS then?
Not at all, I don't know more than what it is publicly known. I was just speculating given the info that's out there: the fact that actual development started after the reveal and the size of the studio being around 270 people divided into at least three major divisions.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm glad we're going to see more of the game soon. I remain...wary after Apocalypse. And as much as I love Nocturne, using it for setting/story inspiration isn't itself enough to reassure me.

I wonder how much Da'at's geography will resemble Tokyo...

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the MC can enter and leave the alternate world as the game progresses. Would be cool to have a light/dark world kind of gameplay hook. The way the leak mentions the MC "wanders" by accident into the world implies it's not a Nocturne type of apocalypse. Would be neat to see areas of Tokyo in changed between the two worlds.

That's a good observation, yeah. I just hope note all of SMT5's world isn't a desert wasteland. SMT4 and SMT4A have the best version of Tokyo in the entire series by far, and I'd love to see something of that scale and depth again. One of the reasons I find it difficult to go back to Nocturne is that the world just feels kind of artificial after having played 4. Too many absurd mazes and corridors with teleporters instead of places that feel more "real".

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
That's a good observation, yeah. I just hope note all of SMT5's world isn't a desert wasteland. SMT4 and SMT4A have the best version of Tokyo in the entire series by far, and I'd love to see something of that scale and depth again. One of the reasons I find it difficult to go back to Nocturne is that the world just feels kind of artificial after having played 4. Too many absurd mazes and corridors with teleporters instead of places that feel more "real".

I mean Atlus is probably reusing assets and geometries from P5 and P5S like the city maps and demons. I mean I'm sure it won't look the same but I'm sure they have lots of maps they can work with.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Atlus is probably reusing assets and geometries from P5 and P5S like the city maps and demons. I mean I'm sure it won't look the same but I'm sure they have lots of maps they can work with.

Kind of doubt they'll re-use too many city/town assets. They might use a few random buildings or signposts or whatever here and there, but trying to shoehorn assets from P5 into SMT5 sounds like more effort than just making new assets from scratch, given the vast stylistic differences between the two games.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Kind of doubt they'll re-use too many city/town assets. They might use a few random buildings or signposts or whatever here and there, but trying to shoehorn assets from P5 into SMT5 sounds like more effort than just making new assets from scratch, given the vast stylistic differences between the two games.
And they are different engines

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like that this is just a SMTIV music thread now

This song still get's me years later 😢 The "You chose the Wrong Path" theme is more like it

Hope SMTV can still bring the feels

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Every SMT topic the SMTIV soundtrack gets brought up because it really is just that damn good.

This is probably my favourite Ikebukuro theme in the series, even though I like Nocturne's Ikebukuro theme too. Love the synth and drums in this theme.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Assuming between this and BDSP releasing a week apart that there must be a big title in October or December.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
At this point it'd be a subversion if a new SMT game didn't have a half-demon protagonist

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
At this point it'd be a subversion if a new SMT game didn't have a half-demon protagonist
Only game that really did it to my recollection is Nocturne. The other protagonists usually have some sort of aid or device that allows them to summon demons.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Only game that really did it to my recollection is Nocturne. The other protagonists usually have some sort of aid or device that allows them to summon magic.

Nanashi was like Demi-fiend lite. It's probably just proximity to the last game but I already feel like it's becoming a cliche.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Now think about it, I hope they use something like Magatama to learn skills but this time is stored so you can change your skillset at any time.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I'd taken better care of my copy of SMT IV. The cardboard cover and book are all jacked up from moving around after college.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of disappointed the leak makes this sound like
Nocturne 2.0 plot-wise. I was really hoping for the urban cyberpunk setting in a fully 3d game for once.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of disappointed the leak makes this sound like
Nocturne 2.0 plot-wise. I was really hoping for the urban cyberpunk setting in a fully 3d game for once.
Even if I'm enjoying Nocturne remastered and I'm hyped, I feel somewhat the same.
It's good to get some inspiration from Nocturne, but they already did something like this in Apocalypse. Why again?

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing news to wake up to. Been craving this game forever, even though we know next to nothing about it. It's MegaTen though, so I know it'll be amazing.

Now, can we FINALLY get some footage of gameplay? (Especially if it's really coming out in just 5 months)

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, great news to see while drinking my coffee. Hoping we get some extended gameplay during Treehouse!

Oh and love seeing the praise for SMT:IV OST in this thread!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing news to wake up to. Been craving this game forever, even though we know next to nothing about it. It's MegaTen though, so I know it'll be amazing.

Now, can we FINALLY get some footage of gameplay? (Especially if it's really coming out in just 5 months)

There'll be footage on the 15th during the next Direct.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I echo the slight disappointment in that it looks like Da'ath is implied to be a desert world similar to that of the Vortex World of Nocturne. I'm actually playing thru the Nocturne remaster right now lol so I'll be going from desert to desert if this turns out to be a true leak.

IV and the older title's retro-futuristic settings were just sublime and I was really hoping we'd return to that. SMT and cyberpunk just go hand in hand to me, even if Nocturne's divergence was well-appreciated and well-executed.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
It's honestly not much a story spoiler just the general description which I'm sure you could read from the back of the of the box or the download page.

And their still could be a twist we find out later. Maybe like you're just in part of the world or in the distant future or something like that