• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll add them to the list. I'm a little wary of DDS since I love the monster collecting and fusion system so much, but I'll have to try it out.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
DDS does interesting things with Press Turn and character growth imo. I also quite enjoy the setting of the first game. I don't like the second game's narrative and that did get in the way of enjoying the RPG and combat systems, but there are some really great fights and, again, the version of Press Turn is pretty cool in my book. Plus, maybe you'll like the DDS2 narrative.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, DDS makes up for its lack of demon recruiting with an awesome character progression system. Going against every suggestion of making my Serph a mage and making him an STR beast instead was so good.
I just want to say that Digital Devil Saga 2 have the best battle music ever.

Wait, the composer is Shoji Meguro ???
Of course, the guy was in every PS2 era game I think, he's so versatile. You can even hear tracks similar to his DDS stuff in Persona 5.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I just want to say that Digital Devil Saga 2 have the best battle music ever.

Wait, the composer is Shoji Meguro ???

Meguro was lead composer on every single PS2 game ATLUS made (SMT3, DDS1, DDS2, Raidou 1, Raidou 2, P3, P3: FES, P4). Yes, even obscurities like Maken X (Maken Shao) on PS2. (Except for the Growlanser series & Stella Deus).

The fact that he could keep churning out so much amazing music right at the end of the PS2's lifetime constantly at such a rapid pace and with such variation makes him a legend to me.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
DDS does interesting things with Press Turn and character growth imo. I also quite enjoy the setting of the first game. I don't like the second game's narrative and that did get in the way of enjoying the RPG and combat systems, but there are some really great fights and, again, the version of Press Turn is pretty cool in my book. Plus, maybe you'll like the DDS2 narrative.

The escalating Atlus Crazy was amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing though (except for the party-building repurcussions of said Crazy).

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
It does do that :P.

I've written about my feelings about DDS2 narrative a couple of times but yeah the bit in parenthesis is mostly what got to me.
She really comes to the fore in DDS2. Some of the crazy stuff in her story did amuse me and it is definitely strange stuff and also not typical VG material. Heat in particular was always a hoot and Serph became one. It is like a light novel for girls--unlike all the light novel for boys stuff we often get :P--with a twist, which explains the strange obsession the cast and story has with her but not before those things really grated on me (because of her personality and demeanor) and without resetting anything either.

Also while we're talking crazy: favorite narrative coloring from DDS1 is probably that military guy
telling Argila that Serph ate her and being disturbed she's with him.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played some Disgaea 4 recently and noticed Mao has a pretty interesting skill animation (0:25)

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Some quick questions:

I started to play SMT3 Nocturne today and I've reached what I suspect is the 2nd dungeon (found the fusion function for the first time)
What suprised me, coming from Persona series, is the seemingly lack of story in the game, as I understand there won't be any party members and you seem to be left smack-a-dub directly in dungeons.
Is the story department going to pick up later on? If not then how do I get through the game as painless as possible?
Also are all Mainline SMT games like Nocturne when it comes to story (wonder if I should start to worry about SMT5)

And lastly, I got the Digital Devil Saga games as well. Are they more story heavy or more like Nocturne?

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
There's story, don't worry. It isn't chatty though.

I think SMT generally has great narrative, personally.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Nocturne has a great story going on but it isn't verbose at all. And yeah it's mostly going to be Demi-fiend

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of it is going to be in the world development.

There is a core cast of characters and there will be core conversations with them but they are going to do a lot of showing rather than telling, i.e. give you some dialogue that points to what is going on with them and then just do it.

DDS has more talking, to your final question. Missed it before, sorry.

(As does SMTIV and IVA. So perhaps SMTV as well).

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
DDS (both 1 and 2) is far more cutscene heavy, if that's what you're asking.

SMT3 is more minimalistic in its presentation when compared to to most of Atlus's other output (SMTIV and SMTIV: A also have far more story scenes than SMT3).

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Thanks guys, that was enough motivation to carry on with Nocturne. Heard that it's held in such high regards so was suprised a bit.

Saving he DDS games for summer.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing a lot of Soul Hackers lately, it finally hooked me good.

I fought Finnegan last night and goddamn, what an awesome fight, I'm finally starting to see the appeal of the combat despite being a bit messy due to the loyalty system being kind of a pain in places.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Also are all Mainline SMT games like Nocturne when it comes to story (wonder if I should start to worry about SMT5)

Nocturne is fairly different from the other mainline SMTs. Most mainline games take place in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo with cyberpunk elements (or outright cyberpunk, depending on the game), and Nocturne clearly isn't like that. SMT1 and 2 didn't have long event scenes, but there were still many human npcs (and even some human party members, although most were temporary). SMT IV had longer scenes although oddly a lot of the world building is left to talking with random minor npcs.

There wasn't much character focus though. Generally the party members were there to showcase the paths or factions the player can choose, acting more like archetypes than really developed characters. IV does add a bit more to it, but it's still mostly in those lines. IV Apocalypse outright goes with a character focused story though, but then it falls into cliche JRPG territory.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Been playing a lot of Soul Hackers lately, it finally hooked me good.

I fought Finnegan last night and goddamn, what an awesome fight, I'm finally starting to see the appeal of the combat despite being a bit messy due to the loyalty system being kind of a pain in places.
Did you take him on with or without Nemmy?

Played some Disgaea 4 recently and noticed Mao has a pretty interesting skill animation (0:25)

Wow. He's from 3, by the way.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Infamous boss of Nocturne down, still took me 4 attempts...

Sheesh at the high evasion Matador has.
I was aware that I had to use debuffs from hearing about how hard Matador was but I wasn't aware that I had to or could lay them that thick.
And the charged Andalusa attack was straight letal so I had to throw everything as soon he started to charge. Lucked out with connecting a Lunge with Demifiend on last turn.

Still a bit confused about the story

Why was the world destroyed? who are thoose people that appears (Boy with lady, masked lady with old man)? Why were you turned into a Demon? Why aren't the journalist and Chiaki turned into spirits?What's the deal with the save points? Is there a commentary about the modern society that I don't understand yet?

Hopefully I'll get some answers later in the game.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
FINALLY jumped into Raidou 1. Just fought Oboroguruma, "In the name of the full moon, I will punish you." LMAO I love sailor moon references

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Infamous boss of Nocturne down, still took me 4 attempts...

Sheesh at the high evasion Matador has.
I was aware that I had to use debuffs from hearing about how hard Matador was but I wasn't aware that I had to or could lay them that thick.
And the charged Andalusa attack was straight letal so I had to throw everything as soon he started to charge. Lucked out with connecting a Lunge with Demifiend on last turn.

Still a bit confused about the story

Why was the world destroyed? who are thoose people that appears (Boy with lady, masked lady with old man)? Why were you turned into a Demon? Why aren't the journalist and Chiaki turned into spirits?What's the deal with the save points? Is there a commentary about the modern society that I don't understand yet?

Hopefully I'll get some answers later in the game.

I never finished Nocturne but I can answer some of your questions :

the old man/boy is Lucifer

The hospital is basically a 'safe' zone when the apocalypse happen, those who are inside the hospital when the apocalypse survive, and all of them will play important role in the story

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I never finished Nocturne but I can answer some of your questions :

the old man/boy is Lucifer

The hospital is basically a 'safe' zone when the apocalypse happen, those who are inside the hospital when the apocalypse survive, and all of them will play important role in the story

It gets answered later really he just have to keep playing rather than knowing it right now

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if any of the SMT or Persona Manga worth checking out? Either original stories or Game adaptations? I read the first volume of the Raidou Kuzunoha Manga and remember loving it, but its not available to buy in the US so its hard to read unless im on my computer. Heard great things about the Persona 1 manga, but it has the same issue as well. Dont mind reading a fan translation, but if I can buy it I would much rather do it that way. Are there any good original mainline SMT Manga series worth checking out?

Anyone read the SMTIV or the Persona Q Manga?

I realize its much better to just play the games, but if I wanted to read any of them are there any that are pretty good?

Heres a list of all of them if anyone else is curious: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Manga

Asked in the Persona OT also, but figured id try both places in case you guys might have a better idea of the mainline SMT stuff...

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know if any of the SMT or Persona Manga worth checking out? Either original stories or Game adaptations? I read the first volume of the Raidou Kuzunoha Manga and remember loving it, but its not available to buy in the US so its hard to read unless im on my computer. Heard great things about the Persona 1 manga, but it has the same issue as well. Dont mind reading a fan translation, but if I can buy it I would much rather do it that way. Are there any good original mainline SMT Manga series worth checking out?

Anyone read the SMTIV or the Persona Q Manga?

I realize its much better to just play the games, but if I wanted to read any of them are there any that are pretty good?

Heres a list of all of them if anyone else is curious: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Manga

Asked in the Persona OT also, but figured id try both places in case you guys might have a better idea of the mainline SMT stuff...

I'm sorry I haven't checked any of the manga. If you find something let me know !

I've been replaying Persona 2 after my second playthrough of Persona 1 and it really shows how I miss some characters that really gets to evolve over the games. I *really* miss Yukino, which isn't something I expected to say. The way she starts from a reformed problem student to someone who tries to make it right for other students who are walking the same path as she did is great.

I also miss the intro tracks of the boss themes. Persona 1 was SO good on that front. I don't mind that they put bloody destiny in the psp version but getting rid of the intro is blasphemy lol

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
smt_nocturne_go_nagai__by_bluestrikerbomber-d9kgwu9.jpg

Nice.

Did you take him on with or without Nemmy?

Wow. He's from 3, by the way.
I had trouble with a previous fight so I wasn't in the mood for Finnegan's nonsense and was carrying more than 10 demons, so I chose to fight alongside her, yeah :p And I know, Mao's my favorite haha, it's just that I caught that while playing 4's post game and fighting him.

Speaking of Soul Hackers, I haven't been able to play that much lately but made some more progress. Fought this female assassin from Phantom and it was a pretty tricky yet awesome fight... I think I'm starting to appreciate the loyalty system more because it makes boss battles so satisfying in such a weird way, it's like winning a war with a bunch of drunk, incompetent soldiers lol. Manipulating them with sake and the like on the spot is kinda amusing.

Sword fusion is very cool too, I loved it in Raidou and it's nice to see where it originated (assuming it was present in the original DS already).

I gotta beat this soon though, I need to be ready for SJ Redux... For better or worse.

Last edited:

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of Atlus's remakes either put the bare minimum amount of 3D features or just say fuck it and not have anything.

Though at the end of the 3DS's life, I doubt anyone cares to bother with them anymore

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017

I bought Vol 4 and loved it but can't justify the prices (right now) when I can't speak JP (not that there's much writing but still). I still need Vol 5, but I hope these won't disappear before one day when I can buy them :)

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God, Shemiaza can go to hell, what a relentless guy
EoRpO39.jpg

I'm pretty sure I was doing something wrong because that fight was so long. I reflected his thunder stuff but his megidola hit like a truck and he confused MC and Nemissa all the time... Ended up cutting him in half at the last moment when I ran out of healing items, had Nemissa confused and basically just one turn left, wow.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a pretty hard time with him. The worst part is losing him means waiting at least five minutes to retry because that's how long it takes just to skip through all the dialogue in the preceding scene with a save right before the door.

What a powerful butt.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
God, Shemiaza can go to hell, what a relentless guy
EoRpO39.jpg

I'm pretty sure I was doing something wrong because that fight was so long. I reflected his thunder stuff but his megidola hit like a truck and he confused MC and Nemissa all the time... Ended up cutting him in half at the last moment when I ran out of healing items, had Nemissa confused and basically just one turn left, wow.
Are you exploiting buffs/debuffs? Broken city in SH.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Also not really a change, but they mention in the comments section that the game has no 3D... That's disappointing.
That's a shame. I don't use 3D a lot, almost never actually, but it looked really good in SMT4 and Apocalypse.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking about picking the latter up again. I think I left it when Nozomi asked me to investigate a homeslice that went bananacakes. I guess I'll just start from the beginning, since I hate jumping back in the middle and not a lot is lost in this case anyway.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Based on how he sounded on Twitter, Gideon seems burned out, which I totally get happening. Let the guy take a break I say.

Oct 25, 2017
almost done with smt4a and the final two dungeons are fucking awful.

penultimate one has jack for demon fusion options and everything looks the same.

final one is the same but you cant even talk to any of the demons and its even worse looking and more annoying to get around.

they keep giving me relics and there are no shops here.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I got to the final dungeon of SMTIVA and didn't continue because my 3DS died. I replaced it and still haven't gone back because the tone of that game was completely wack for an SMT game and I found it hugely disappointing on that front. Also the final dungeon pulls that 'you suddenly can't examine any of the enemies and have to go back to memorizing weaknesses for no reason' bullshit, which is just a huge turnoff.