• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was talking to my brother the other day and he's not into the SMT games or RPG's at all but he use to watch me play them. Anyway he watched Devilman after I told him about it and after he was like (cutting out curse and inappropriate words) "yo that main character reminds me of that game you use to play with all the demons and the kid with the tattoos." We then started talking about SMTIII Nocturne and he basically Demi-Fiend > Devilman because Demi-Fiend wins no matter the route he takes and because he doesn't cry and give hugs like a *explicit*

Since I don't have have my 3DS for the time being I'm thinking about hooking up my PS3 to play SMTIII. Which build was the best for the game again? Physical or Magical? Also was luck worth investing in? I can't remember.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Luck affects at least the sort of encounters you are likely to get, e.g. preemptive attack and ambused situations in Nocturne as I recall. I forget what the incense game is like, though.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Was talking to my brother the other day and he's not into the SMT games or RPG's at all but he use to watch me play them. Anyway he watched Devilman after I told him about it and after he was like (cutting out curse and inappropriate words) "yo that main character reminds me of that game you use to play with all the demons and the kid with the tattoos." We then started talking about SMTIII Nocturne and he basically Demi-Fiend > Devilman because Demi-Fiend wins no matter the route he takes and because he doesn't cry and give hugs like a *explicit*

Since I don't have have my 3DS for the time being I'm thinking about hooking up my PS3 to play SMTIII. Which build was the best for the game again? Physical or Magical? Also was luck worth investing in? I can't remember.

Luck can effect things like negotiations, ambushing the enemy and how likely they are to ambush you, accuracy of insta-kill and status effects both on enemies attacking you and you attacking them. I'd say it's worth putting points into for sure.
And you can go either way but physical has some very powerful skills in Nocturne that can crit which gives another go and since late game often means enemies play the buff/debuff game with no weaknesses, physical is very helpful at end game for getting in those extra turns.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm past where I was now (Just killed Betelgeuse). I went back to the center but I still need to deal with the demi-nandi apparently. Not sure what that consists in tbh. I did come across a locked door and see some farms; I guess I'll go look at those again.

I got Cu Sith to join by furiously dancing for him, which was amusing, and then I had the Betelgeuse fight, which also centered on dancing.

I'm guessing Intelligence helps with negotiation in this game? That was my understanding from the first game. Sort of wish I'd get some intelligence and luck incense as I'm focusing mostly on agility and strength atm, which is getting my attack speed, accuracy, HP, and defense up so they seem like very attractive stats.

It is interesting how the HP/MP gain is more gradual, both coming in smaller amounts and in greater frequency from stats.

Edit: Just ran into King Muscle in Arcadia...lol his text is delicious. Man is so full of himself and his beautiful body.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
That was sad...(second coliseum battle)

They made it pretty clear that Hiroko was the heroine and Beth was a sort of Law-sided Yuriko that actually was a party member and without, so far, the violent jealousy, but wasn't expecting her to die in the coliseum like that. I thought she'd maybe be the Law hero or something (although I'm a) not sure this game has those paradigms exactly and b) there is Gimel in Arcadia who seems the sort). But really, her dying could open her up to "coming back" like the SMT law hero, I guess. I'll keep that in mind that she might come back in some way and play into the roles in the game.

I chose to spare Daleth and it seems I'm now law-aligned? Sad :P. Need to find a way back to neutral if I can. My big attacking demons atm are both Chaos demons...

Oct 25, 2017
HylianSeven I dont know if some one else already told you about this but if you wanna experience the answer after you finish P3P some one just released a code you can easily drop into the PS2 emulator that allows you to fully control party members.
https://pastebin.com/S2Vj47J6

Edit: Oh durr just looked at the last page and it seems like some one already told you :P

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
HylianSeven I dont know if some one else already told you about this but if you wanna experience the answer after you finish P3P some one just released a code you can easily drop into the PS2 emulator that allows you to fully control party members.
https://pastebin.com/S2Vj47J6

Edit: Oh durr just looked at the last page and it seems like some one already told you :P

Yeah, I saw this. I might have to do this. I'm in the last few months of P3P.

I definitely wish I played on hard, but still the gameplay is better than FES.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So in the factory camp and about to leave:

I skipped going through the third code door because I wanted to go the "wrong way" and ended up only going back there and seeing the boss I skipped with Nadja who took me out of that room. The Nadja event was a bit unfortunate. I had one more path to explore in the long labyrinth of the "wrong way" and she just teleported me where I needed to go :P.

I've gone back now after freeing Hiroko (kind of sad that netted me no chaos points btw, still law aligned). Kind of an interesting event how Nadja fused with her to break the mind control. Weird and kind of unsettling but it seems to have been the right thing to do? She seems to be just Hiroko only not mind controlled to think she wants to be in a prison cell anymore.

Curious about Zain too and where they are going to go with him from here.

In any case, I really want to save. I've been in this labyrinth quite a while.

Oh, also, Tokyo as the underworld (at least under the center) is pretty cool and IV echoes that idea.

And I go to return to the man and....shit just got real.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I need to point out that I love the usage of the adverb furiously. It amuses me to no end for some reason and I use it a lot in real life. I love the sense of intensity and determination it brings. Dancing furiously is so good. I love that line. (I'm in the Holytown disco atm)

IDK. I love using it just with 'to be.' Being blank furiously is just such a statement of identity, purpose, and presence. I picked up using the term so much watching sageuk and such where there is such a bent towards corruption, so there is a lot of "being furiously corrupt" as I saw it and I just think it so aptly identifies their viciousness and its deliberate intensity.

Edit: Now that I've got Hiroko back I notice how much points she has in luck...I'm guessing those are mostly wasted? She could use some stamina and speed atm.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
The resource game is a bit more frustrating in this game so far. The current issue I'm having is that a) most enemies are easily handled with just Aleph, b) most enemies don't net much magnetite, and c) encounters in general aren't that frequent while at the same time d) there are more dangerous battles I would like to fight for cash/experience but that I can't solo that well but e) summoning demons takes turns and macca which are also precious, particularly the latter.

I was also just chasing Puck and blew a bunch of macca thinking there would be a boss fight when I cornered him and so summoned some demons.

I have 8.5k macca and 9k magnetite but I don't want to eat through those numbers and I want to buy a couple more gear pieces and maybe a gun and ammunition (I'd also like a better sword but I haven't seen any for sale and am guessing I'll get those as drops mostly, as in SMT1).

Just a bit frustrated with the currency atm. And to think I was just having that too magnetite counting glitch in SMT1. I'm guessing there is a bit of whiplash returning to a less powerful state but I do hope the balance feels better to me going forward. I don't want to run from the more exciting fights.

Also pretty underwhelmed by magic in general in this game so far, even healing, coming from SMT1.

I do really like having control and choice in the extra command though and I like that demons have felt more useful earlier on for me in this game (because a) less human companions and b) a much weaker heroine so far). I do think the most fun in combat I've had was running around with Beth and a couple demons back in the first holy town and factory visits so far. I'm hoping the heroine shapes up when she is instead below my level (and slowly at, I'd imagine).

Edit: So just killed a boss and I went up three levels, Hiroko four. Haven't played much beyond, but I've got her HP and speed up a decent amount so I'm hoping she has a better time against the monsters going forward.

Don't really know what I was doing in the place where I killed the boss though :P. So I'm going to write down the things that I know I need to do/think I'm trying to do atm:
  • There's a dancing competition in Holytown when there is a full moon.
  • I need to collect two more Roman god pillars. I don't know what these do but people were talking about there being four of them.
  • Maou Abaddon is in the abyss and I think maybe if I kill him I can meet Mekata again and get his story?
  • to get into the Abyss, I need to replace the dancing doll with some other doll (I forget exactly what it was)

Edit 2: neutral is my salvation. I can now equip vital spear. I now do considerable damage on multiple hits. Praise be! Before it was a choice between Corseca and kodachi of light (enthrall is nice but...one hit, mediocre damage).

I'm bleeding mag atm, which is unfortunate, but I'm trying to see it through and stop wasting so much macca on summoning. I want to get hiroko the rest of the dawn/crimson gear. The gloves were a huge upgrade for her.

Also want to get some ammo/gun upgrades too but vital spear is such a god send.

Edit 3: Got a good whip for Hiroko from Nekomata and she's also learned Diarama now which is so much better than Dia in this game. Also got her two pieces of armor so she's sturdier now. I can almost take Kerberos out of my group I think (he's got samarecarm, and reviving/kintan items are really expensive and so is he to summon).

I think I'm going to prioritize her magic stats, then agility, then strength (instead of stamina). So far guns have been less useful than they were in SMT 1 in relation to the usefulness of swords. I think it is more likely she's going to want to sword things than she needs more defense than armor/speed can get her.

Edit 4: Yeah, I feel like I'm back in control now. I had to move around on the world map a bit (where I seem to get more magnetite), have been able to handle most of the monsters with just Aleph and Hiroko now, and had to also go back to Holy Town to buy a certain legendary Tokyo object, so I've got 8k magnetite again after having dipped down to ~4k at one point. Hiroko has her full crimson/daybreak gear now on top of Diarama, some agility, and that lotus whip so she is in such a better place than she was before this whole segment of the game began.

Haven't bought new guns yet, but I did get a gun to drop for Aleph from those bikers and an ammo upgrade too. Aleph is also a) sturdy enough as is, b) has a nice HP cushion built up from sinking so many points into strength, and c) is neutral so he cannot wear the law/chaos gear on sale in Roppongi, and as such I'm going to just wait on upgrading his armor until the next set comes around. He's got the helmet and the chest piece and I'm guessing that is enough. Hiroko really needed the stuff, though.

But looking back at this segment, it really fits well with the situation I found myself in:

It goes back to when demons first showed up in the center. I had just teleported back to the place after finishing my mission when, suddenly, I was ambushed by a bunch of Nue and they just massacred me and I had to limp to the church and revive Beth. It was fitting that it is Nue, as now he is a great and easy thing to run into on the underworld world map--he drops so much magnetite--but for so long i just ran from that demon whenever I saw him as I couldn't damage him quickly enough to cull his numbers and stop his damage coming in. In any case, shortly after that Beth, a very key support character, is killed in the coliseum. Her murderer repeatedly harries you. You find Hiroko brainwashed into wanting to be locked into a cell and only cure her by fusing her with a demon, convincing Zain in the process to betray the church and fight for justice. This all as part of a quest to a) save her when you know she is in trouble but also b) discover what is truly going on here. But then, you find out Valhalla has been eaten whole by Abaddon and inside of it the man who could elucidate things. And Hiroko is exceptionally weak and the monsters throughout Millenium reinforced by new stronger enemies. Thank god for Kerebos and Samarecarm but I also haven't saved since before the whole ordeal in the concentration camp :( and I just desperately limp to the save station in holy town. And then I start the quest to go after Abaddon and well, it is a struggle to get Hiroko up to speed and the balance of indoor/outdoor exploration is very heavy towards the former, putting a serious drain on my resources. But there's resolution in leveling up and gearing up! I feel Aleph and Hiroko are on their way now truly.

The point is though, this shift in game balance echoes the collapsing of the world around Aleph and the broken state his allies are in.

The other thing I felt like commenting on about the game atm is the wonderful world-building. The variety of communities is strong, they're well established, and they have clear relationships with each other. The dialogue is great. I love the discos and the bars, especially with their QoL improvement over Shinjuku in SMT1. It is also great that I can just talk to Lucifer in the bar or that that shady man seems to me to be a persistent character bar hopping as I progress through the game. I love that there are dedicated church buildings that also control transporter access in Tokyo Millennium. I love the decrepit SMT1 transfer stations in the underworld. I just love the underworld and its different demon and human collectives. And the overworld too with all its different science fiction communities centered on the designs and aims of the church but also humans trying to be humans still in that world.

It really sucks you in to its world.

Progress as to the various gathering quests going on:
I've gotten 5 pieces of Masakado. Not sure if there is a central body piece or something and I'm missing a shrine but I'm going to go back and talk to Hiruko next play session and see if I have what he wants.

I now see that these are space object pillars, not Roman god pillars. Don't know why I just thought there were four of them. But I see where I'm supposed to put them. Not sure what they accomplish yet or where all the others are (I got one from the chirei dig site and I know that I need to dance with 10 magic on a full moon at the holy town disco for the moon pillar).

Not sure where the sleeping doll is. I'm guessing I need to get to Abaddon first and maybe I get to meet Mekata again and he helps me? Also, seems Abaddon is in Tokyo, not the abyss reading the holytown dialogue again. I thought the opposite last night.

It seems I do Masakado now and maybe that deals with the blocked up cave in the underworld? idk. But I want to get to Abaddon.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Wow...Zain is judging me :(. Apparently I need to up my intelligence to progress. I've only got six atm lol. I have been stocking Magic Incense in case I couldn't get to 10 (for the dance, to beat that women with 9 magic) with gear/drink but I've just been using the intelligence incense, some on Aleph, some on Hiroko.

I guess I need to look for gear with intelligence or grow up some levels. Wonder how much intelligence I need...

I've seen the Jupiter Pillar (guessing he might give it to me if he regains his mind? Not sure) and know the Moon Pillar is at the disco so that leaves me with one blank pillar I don't know the location of going by my rare items screen.

I thought the whole earth gods versus heaven gods (both of Japan) would lead to more Tokyo through the sealed cavern, but it does seem it was just a side story along the way to gathering the pillars. Thinking I get the final pillars before the sleeping doll now.

Edit: Damn, should've bought the Dragon helm while I was law aligned. Looking at the gear list, I don't think I can buy any that I can equip that ups my intelligence atm

Ugh...Don't want to grind lol. But seems I have to. Don't even have resource concerns anymore :(.

Edit2: Maybe I'll kill so many Mesian/Angel demons doing this that I turn chaos and can buy and equip that gear lol

Edit3: lol I thought drinks up'd your stats by 1...I drank one when I had 9 intelligence. The first level I grew up was not a pain--I was about 100 experience away when the problem arose. The other two I used getting gems in mystic chests I'd marked but hadn't gone to at the full moon but...I didn't need to grind at all.

Edit 4: Finished that dungeon. Sad he left his toilet behind when he departed. I thought they were inseparable.

I was a bit confused after that though and thought the game might be glitching (perhaps the translation) when I found what I was clearly looking for afterwards but saw no way to interact with it nor got any messages about it. So I looked it up and it wasn't a glitch but I was supposed to be thwarted and seek help at the bars :(. Most of the time I can actually follow this game pretty well at least to where they want me to go, just by filling out the map and talking to people but I wish there'd been a bit of dialogue here to tell me that I had to look for a solution elsewhere. Have Zain say something when you come back unsuccessful from that room or something. The complete lack of feedback is what left me thinking it was a translation glitch or something. Then again, if I were playing it in the original unpatched form, I might have just rolled with it and looked for further information but even so I think it'd have been better if they'd made it more explicit that I needed to do so.

In any case, since I tested the intelligence drink, I decided to see what I needed to do to do the disco. Turns out I did need some of my stocked magic incenses to do it because the drink only gave three extra points. I also needed to find the right bar to drink from because the phases go by so fast when you are on the field screens and the thing resets at the full moon so you have to drink it at the full moon to use it at the disco on the full moon. I ended up using Asakasa, which was pretty ideal but it was a learning process as I figured out the rules of the drinks and the world map. In any case, I've got the moon pillar.

One thing I am disappointed in with this segment of the game is that I feel I've lost touch with what is going on at the center, which is okay on the one hand, but I am also clearly fighting them while they still seem to hold me as the Messiah? I wish there was insight into how they take my actions even if it is clear we're going to part ways at some point. IDK.

Last edited:

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Hey SMT Era, I can't get into Devil Survivor. About 3 hours into Overclocked and to my great chagrin I'm not really feeling it. I don't like the dialogue (I skip everything because it's so dull) and the general aesthetic feels like generic anime. The core gameplay is pretty alright -- dig the demon auction a lot. Anyway I'm strapped for cash right now, so I may just part with my 1 & 2. I don't know, what am I missing? And is mainline SMT the same way and I'm just setting myself up for more letdown? The idea of these games is really appealing but maybe it's just not for me.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Hey SMT Era, I can't get into Devil Survivor. About 3 hours into Overclocked and to my great chagrin I'm not really feeling it. I don't like the dialogue (I skip everything because it's so dull) and the general aesthetic feels like generic anime. The core gameplay is pretty alright -- dig the demon auction a lot. Anyway I'm strapped for cash right now, so I may just part with my 1 & 2. I don't know, what am I missing? And is mainline SMT the same way and I'm just setting myself up for more letdown? The idea of these games is really appealing but maybe it's just not for me.

Nah mate I ride SMT pretty hard but Devil Survivor is not my rap at all too. I heard it gets better with 2 but if the designs are a no-no for you, there ain't nothing saving it.

Mainline SMT is nothing like it. *hides Alex from the drawing board* Almost nothing

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Survivor is amazing but not the best introductory title (it's like the second hardest) and pretty different to mainline so you shouldn't expect many similarities. You should try something like IV.

Don't get near DeSu 2 though. The first game looks anime and kinda delves into some anime-ish writing at times, but 2 is Actual Anime Trash.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played DS as of yet so I can't comment on that but as to the general question, no, I think SMT tends to have very unique and well developed voice. I'm playing the first two SMT games atm, for example and I have been blown away by how much atmosphere, scope, and just neat details they have. They're completely amazing in terms of voice and very much their own thing.

I feel the same way about Nocturne and IV. It is a series strength imo. IVA is a really good game but I could see it definitely feels less classic SMT in terms of voice.

I think the spinoffs I've played so far also tend to be unique but I don't always like their story and characters, e.g. Digital Devil Saga. I have liked the voice of P2-2 through P5 and Soul Hackers from what I've played of them (which is completely through P3-5, most of the way through P2-2, and the beginning couple arcs of Soul Hackers). SMT#FE is also a good game with a voice that could definitely wear on me at times but much less so than DDS2.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The real deal is to play Raidou and jam it to every tune while doing some investigatin'

Reminds me I will never get to play Devil Summoner 1 in my lifetime :-(

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Nah mate I ride SMT pretty hard but Devil Survivor is not my rap at all too. I heard it gets better with 2 but if the designs are a no-no for you, there ain't nothing saving it.

Mainline SMT is nothing like it. *hides Alex from the drawing board* Almost nothing

Alex seems alright. I mean, from what I can tell she's not fanservice so I guess I can stomach her lol. Thanks! Relief to know there are SMT fans who aren't into Survivor.

Devil Survivor is amazing but not the best introductory title (it's like the second hardest) and pretty different to mainline so you shouldn't expect many similarities. You should try something like IV.

Don't get near DeSu 2 though. The first game looks anime and kinda delves into some anime-ish writing at times, but 2 is Actual Anime Trash.

Nail in the goddamn coffin XD

I haven't played DS as of yet so I can't comment on that but as to the general question, no, I think SMT tends to have very unique and well developed voice. I'm playing the first two SMT games atm, for example and I have been blown away by how much atmosphere, scope, and just neat details they have. They're completely amazing in terms of voice and very much their own thing.

I feel the same way about Nocturne and IV. It is a series strength imo. IVA is a really good game but I could see it definitely feels less classic SMT in terms of voice.

I think the spinoffs I've played so far also tend to be unique but I don't always like their story and characters, e.g. Digital Devil Saga. I have liked the voice of P2-2 through P5 and Soul Hackers from what I've played of them (which is completely through P3-5, most of the way through P2-2, and the beginning couple arcs of Soul Hackers). SMT#FE is also a good game with a voice that could definitely wear on me at times but much less so than DDS2.

By voice you mean like themes and motifs right? Cause I see where you're coming from -- Persona seems about as far as you can stretch the core features of Megaten while still feeling like part of the same series.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
They've all got different voices with similarities yeah, especially between some (within series and subsections thereof I'm talking pretty much), but I mostly meant that they just mostly all excel at voice.

I think, for example, that the three Hashino Personas all have different voices even, but all are very strong in that regard still.

But yes, I'm talking about scenario directions, dialogue, atmosphere, themes, etc.

I was responding to your fear that they were perhaps "just anime." I think they are very much their own thing overall, spectacularly so.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Welp from Chaos to neutral to law all in short order...damn. I wonder how strongly law I am now.

I was in the abyss and killed Gimel/destroyed Arcadia and now I freed the prisoners in the factory

Wonder what I do now. I've got 6/7 pillars and I've used up the other "gather these things" leads, so I'm guessing I'm looking for number 7.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Devil Survivor 1/Overclocked's main story is actually rather similar to some mainline games, however, Devil Survivor is much more character focused, while outside of IV Apocalypse, the actual SMT games are never that dialogue heavy or focused on developing a cast of teens. There's also the aesthetics regarding the main cast which are completely different from actual SMT games.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Devil Survivor 1 is better than 2, but both are great... gameplay wise. Storywise, ehhhhh. 1 is way better, 2 has its moments. Credit to 2 for trying a more unique adversary at least(cosmic entities instead of demons).

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maybe it's because it was my first SMT game, but I loved DeSu 1.
I got the remake of 2 when it came out, and while the gameplay isn't much worse, it's anime-ness definitely brings it down.
2 kinda felt like a slog by the end, and I barely even played any of the newly added content...

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Phew...wasn't expecting Him to show up at that juncture...(I just finally went back to the center). I didn't have the most effective party :P. I really need tarukaja and such on my team. I need to find a demon with it again. Extra attacks and Aleph were the key sources of damage and buffing them would've made it not last so damn long lol.

And that curse lol so good.

I think SMTII's treatment of Christianity is a sort of missing link between SMTII and Nocturne. I've gone on about Chiaki before, but I feel in SMTII you have a dialogue between gather and protect the weak in one body, one mind sort of thing (which has its genocidal side for those who do not join the flock already in SMTI) and the sort of eugenics kind of thing going on in SMTIII with the angels wanting to purge the "unattractive" elements of society.

Tokyo Millenium is presented as a perversion but is also clearly continuous with the madness of Law in SMT1 and in its obsession with building an elaborate, tenuous Zion there is a massive demand for labor and every occasion for considerations of privilege to seep in. Throw in the creepy mind control stuff and you have a recipe for disaster such as at the factory or in Arcadia.

Basically, what the law hero saw as a way to prevent tragedies such as befell his girlfriend has become just a church to god's ego and power rather than a refuge for the people lost to the insanity of the demon-infested world.

And this is already the sort of conclusion the law hero reached in his final moments and is damn evident in the extremely callous and genocidal methodology of law, but I feel SMTII plays with the conflict between the stated ideal of law and what the people with power in the cause actually do.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because it was my first SMT game, but I loved DeSu 1.
I got the remake of 2 when it came out, and while the gameplay isn't much worse, it's anime-ness definitely brings it down.
2 kinda felt like a slog by the end, and I barely even played any of the newly added content...
I honestly couldn't finish the final boss of the Triangulum and felt no motivation to keep going.

I agree DeSu has the better (and more like traditional MegaTen) story, but 2 has stuff I really liked such as the idea of humans dying permanently if you don't save them.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How was the DeSu 1 remake, anyways? Is the added content any good?
I only ever got one ending in the original version, might pick it up someday...

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Overclocked partially fixes the skill selection of the original, making a physical build more viable, and also adds the compendium which is a great quality of life improvement. The main issue with it though is that there's still little variation possible in the first few days. The Eighth days are pretty good, although only 3 routes get them (Yuzu, Amane, Naoya). In Naoya's and Yuzu's cases, they also pretty much scrap the original ending though, leading to new conclusions, rather than just showing the eighth day of the original route. Naoya route is traditionally seen as a "chaos ending" for example, but the Eighth Day doesn't really go in that direction aside from fighting against heaven's forces.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DeSu Overclocked is so great, just adding the compendium makes a world of difference, but some of the extended routes are a good incentive to replay the game over and over even after having completed the original. It's probably the only Megaten game I keep going back to outside of Nocturne.

I do hate how the voice acting is so loud you can't hear the music though, I wish there were options other than turning it off completely.
- - - - -
MoonFrog I find SMT2's premise and setting so fascinating. Starting in a world already corrupted by one of the two sides instead of being more like I and IV (which I still love), it makes for a more surprising specific portrayal of its world's humanity and seeing law more in depth kinda added more value to all other mainline games in retrospect. I really hope we get to explore a Chaos-dominated setting someday too.

By the way, this is pretty much the one mainline game where all three endings are relatively satisfying (although I have to wonder HOW anyone would feel comfortable siding with Law still!), but Chaos is IMO the best, as not only it's the most "righteous" but has some interesting twists regarding its main figures.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Overclocked partially fixes the skill selection of the original, making a physical build more viable, and also adds the compendium which is a great quality of life improvement. The main issue with it though is that there's still little variation possible in the first few days. The Eighth days are pretty good, although only 3 routes get them (Yuzu, Amane, Naoya). In Naoya's and Yuzu's cases, they also pretty much scrap the original ending though, leading to new conclusions, rather than just showing the eighth day of the original route. Naoya route is traditionally seen as a "chaos ending" for example, but the Eighth Day doesn't really go in that direction aside from fighting against heaven's forces.
DeSu Overclocked is so great, just adding the compendium makes a world of difference, but some of the extended routes are a good incentive to replay the game over and over even after having completed the original. It's probably the only Megaten game I keep going back to outside of Nocturne.

I do hate how the voice acting is so loud you can't hear the music though, I wish there were options other than turning it off completely.
- - - - -
MoonFrog I find SMT2's premise and setting so fascinating. Starting in a world already corrupted by one of the two sides instead of being more like I and IV (which I still love), it makes for a more surprising specific portrayal of its world's humanity and seeing law more in depth kinda added more value to all other mainline games in retrospect. I really hope we get to explore a Chaos-dominated setting someday too.

By the way, this is pretty much the one mainline game where all three endings are relatively satisfying (although I have to wonder HOW anyone would feel comfortable siding with Law still!), but Chaos is IMO the best, as not only it's the most "righteous" but has some interesting twists regarding its main figures.
Ah, sounds good, thanks guys.

Oct 26, 2017
Welp from Chaos to neutral to law all in short order...damn. I wonder how strongly law I am now.
Its actually really easy to turn into law since a lot of your choices are kinda hidden? Like when your trying to buy the dismembered Maskado head from the guy, you can actually refuse to give him the 20000 macca and pay half or mug him.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I really don't care about the law ending. It just makes no narrative sense. Aleph stays with Satan and does nothing to stop him from purging humanity, and yet right afterwards he still turns against YHVH for ordering that in the first place? They really should have given a MT2-like choice where you can just side with YHVH after getting to that point.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I think DS1's story is really engaging, the situation becomes more desperate by the minute, it really feels like a struggle to survive with all odds stacked against the characters.

Finally found the motivation to go through Apocalypse's final dungeon, made it to the fight with
Satan
. Still can't believe I had to force myself to finish a SMT game but it just didn't do it for me. It's not a bad game of course but the characters/writing/story just aren't up to SMT standards.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't care about the law ending. It just makes no narrative sense. Aleph stays with Satan and does nothing to stop him from purging humanity, and yet right afterwards he still turns against YHVH for ordering that in the first place? They really should have given a MT2-like choice where you can just side with YHVH after getting to that point.
Oh I agree, I'd never choose it over any of the others and the resolution is kinda forced. Perhaps "satisfying" wasn't the word, but normally with law endings I feel like I either contributed to something awful, have been being toyed with or both, so in II it was nice to have YHVH's trump card turn against him and take him down, rather than just killing the chaos representative of the week.

I also realize that I REALLY should play the MT games already.

This reminds me Apocalypse had many callbacks to SMT2, hopefully Moonfrog enjoys them, I know I did (and imagine many didn't haha).
I think DS1's story is really engaging, the situation becomes more desperate by the minute, it really feels like a struggle to survive with all odds stacked against the characters.

Finally found the motivation to go through Apocalypse's final dungeon, made it to the fight with
Satan
. Still can't believe I had to force myself to finish a SMT game but it just didn't do it for me. It's not a bad game of course but the characters/writing/story just aren't up to SMT standards.
Yeah the thing about DeSu is that due to the art style, its character driven focus and the main three characters starting as average, kinda whiny teens gives a wrong impression of the game, because they do grow as the story progresses and stakes get higher. The situation gets pretty damn grim and IMO it's a nice exploration of how people would react to a typical SMT apocalyptic scenario. It makes the best use of multiple routes in the series too, IMO.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it is pretty cool. I'm just blown away by how strong these games are tbh.

I'm very curious about where the story goes now. I've just entered the front door a certain someone suggested I enter in a certain bar in a certain place :P, and so all the threads that I was following since the second coliseum bout have come to a close.

Narratively too, I still think I'm looking for Abbadon and possibly Mekata but I seem to have gotten answers (or those I was assuming he was going to give me) at the center anyhow.

Its actually really easy to turn into law since a lot of your choices are kinda hidden? Like when your trying to buy the dismembered Maskado head from the guy, you can actually refuse to give him the 20000 macca and pay half or mug him.

I returned to neutral via the questions in the center, thankfully.

I haggled that guy and Puck, didn't attack him (or Puck?). I didn't even have the money at the time of Puck (I had just summoned demons thinking he'd be a boss) :P.

I think it is pretty cool that the heroine has Estoma in this game. And while I'm on abilities, I find it interesting that instead of de-kunda it is re-kaja in this game. De-kunda seems more apt but still it is interesting.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I thought I'd get to go here:

So I've been waiting to get inside Abbadon forever. Thought I might go to Valhalla this way and might talk to Mekata this way. Pretty cool stuff.

The genetically engineered part is pretty clear from the beginning, given the vats, and confirmed when you confront the angels in the center.

I also thought I might be the child that Hiroko was looking for at the beginning, although I began to also suspect the child that brought me to Mekata.

I had no idea why Hiroko would be searching for me let alone that I am her surrogate son. That is quite the twist.

I wonder if my parentage is anything that is going to come up. That was also an unsuspected twist.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Had to drop the difficulty from war to skirmish for the final boss. Still gave me a serious run for my money, but on war it felt almost impossible. Bloody hell.
The fact that it took me over a year to finish a game from my favorite franchise shows how underwhelming it was for me.
They really lost me with the cast and story, though fortunately it gets better toward the end.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if I accomplished anything here but Chesed was cool.

I liked the Gotou and Ozawa showing up. I just played SMT1 but still it made me nostalgic for the opening of that game.

It was also nice to get some insight into the past of Millennium.

It was sad to see Beth. I kept expecting her to come back in some disturbing form tbh but this was just sad.

At least Zain rebelling against his preprogrammed purpose makes me feel less bad about her self-sacrifice for and obsession with Aleph, because, in a sense, it seems she had room to choose and so there is a grey area there. But still, her life was created for Aleph's and she was designed to put her entire self into him and that is really too much. Hopefully there is always room for the self even when devoting yourself to another person.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me Apocalypse had many callbacks to SMT2, hopefully Moonfrog enjoys them, I know I did (and imagine many didn't haha).

I wonder if you are talking about
Satan and its dialogues? Because YHVH is the most obvious.
Honestly IV and Apocalypse pander a lot to 1&2 almost the same how every Pokémon pander the first generation lol

Damn, I just got to the final boss of Strange Journey, not encouraging words, lol.

Good luck!

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I just got to the final boss of Strange Journey, not encouraging words, lol.
She's stupidly cheap when she wants to but I'd say you can still overpower her with raw power and good demons. I got fed up of trying to beat her at level 70 something and grinded up to 99 out of spite and moped the floor with her, it was overkill, so I imagine she's doable somewhere between 85-95.

I don't remember my third demon but I had Ongyo Ki and Demonee-ho (or was it Frost Ace? Whoever is stronger in SJ)
I wonder if you are talking about
Satan and its dialogues? Because YHVH is the most obvious.
Honestly IV and Apocalypse pander a lot to 1&2 almost the same how every Pokémon pander the first generation lol

Good luck!
Yeah!
Getting to fight YHVH in itself was fun enough, but seeing Satan ignore his master yet again and team up with me was both hilarious and awesome as a callback.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
She's stupidly cheap when she wants to but I'd say you can still overpower her with raw power and good demons. I got fed up of trying to beat her at level 70 something and grinded up to 99 out of spite and moped the floor with her, it was overkill, so I imagine she's doable somewhere between 85-95.

I don't remember my third demon but I had Ongyo Ki and Demonee-ho (or was it Frost Ace? Whoever is stronger in SJ)

Yeah!
Getting to fight YHVH in itself was fun enough, but seeing Satan ignore his master yet again and team up with me was both hilarious and awesome as a callback.

Hell yeah. That's why I like the Law path.
You end as a genocidal messiah (and implied in a incestuous relationship with your surrogate mother), but the satisfaction to see Satan trick to god it's a good pay-off:P