• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
The Cathedral is amazing but I will admit that I typically use Estoma. I get enough excitement from the cavalcade of bosses.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have a demon with Estoma but I'm getting some fuma bell drops...I've made 2 forays beyond the "heart" of the cathedral, both ending when I walked through a one way door back into the old parts. One fairly quickly. One after repeatedly going between the first floor and basement and meandering about. Still haven't found a way down deeper into the basement or up higher into the heights.

I felt the encounter/reinforcement rates were unusually high in the government building; particularly on the way to Vishnu. I don't know whether I was just unlucky or not but I am currently hording the bells I'm getting in case when I do find my way further into the dungeon things get more busy.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I love SMT I's scope and sense of escalation. I'd really like to see a modern game attempting something in that direction rather than the more static settings of the other games.
They were close to this in SMTIV. They had the dreams and teasers and stuff, but they're like "Hey go do some quests in Naraku, oh you can't go that far down, that's the unclean one's country" Then you have to save Navarre, then they tell you to keep going. You hit the area where you find the guns, see modern lockers, beds, etc, you see some scaffolding construction, leading up to the reveal of that's how you get to Tokyo.

I mentioned this at the old place (Hell I did an entire thread on it when I replayed SMTIV), but one of the coolest things to me about SMTIV is how they have the culture shock of the characters not understanding the modern technology, and assume it's "magic". There's moments when they think the city lights are "stars on the ground", or that the people talk with "funny accents", Japanese is the "mystic script", Burroughs is a "sprite", etc. My favorite example of this is the item descriptions on relics. I highly recommending reading those, you'll get a chuckle out of some of them, but it's also a neat world building thing.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Got into Basement 2 :). Let's see how this goes. it was pretty close to the entrance lol. I just wandered the wrong way(s).

They were close to this in SMTIV. They had the dreams and teasers and stuff, but they're like "Hey go do some quests in Naraku, oh you can't go that far down, that's the unclean one's country" Then you have to save Navarre, then they tell you to keep going. You hit the area where you find the guns, see modern lockers, beds, etc, you see some scaffolding construction, leading up to the reveal of that's how you get to Tokyo.

I mentioned this at the old place (Hell I did an entire thread on it when I replayed SMTIV), but one of the coolest things to me about SMTIV is how they have the culture shock of the characters not understanding the modern technology, and assume it's "magic". There's moments when they think the city lights are "stars on the ground", or that the people talk with "funny accents", Japanese is the "mystic script", Burroughs is a "sprite", etc. My favorite example of this is the item descriptions on relics. I highly recommending reading those, you'll get a chuckle out of some of them, but it's also a neat world building thing.

Yeah. I was thinking of SMTIV too. It does have the Mikado/Tokyo divide, which is cool. And it does have blasted Tokyo too, which is a smaller thing, but still, I wasn't expecting the game to go through all of that.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
SMT4 is phenomenal to me for this. I suffered through Naraku so hard but the wonder of going down into Tokyo and listening to the incredible map music is a one of a kind experience. Then you have blasted tokyo and infernal tokyo and they definitely didn't have to do that but they did it anyway and it was so cool. SMT4 was great at surprising you and making the scope feel bigger than what the hardware could have allowed.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Got through the bowels of the cathedral and killed the Asura Lord. Status buffs/debuffs are very very nice :). (He got charmed by my bullets in the back half too :P)

Some thoughts on the Law/Chaos stuff in the game; I'll spoiler it for people:
It is strange because although I was more fond of the law hero back in the day, I'm pretty sure it is going to be less sad killing the law hero. I don't really buy into the might makes right angle of chaos in SMT, but the freedom angle and the "save the world from God's newest apocalypse" angle makes the chaos cause more sympathetic here. And while I do believe in a world that is safe for the meek and weak, the genocidal bent of Law--where it is assemble the needy flock and kill the rest--is of course unsympathetic. Although dogs do get eaten or at least chewed up and abused in a dog eat dog world there is something uniquely disturbing about a huge, unilateral purge of life.

Ultimately, the chaos way seems closer to our own world and it also seems to offer a way of carving out a "neutral" niche in that world, because that is basically what you are doing playing neutral in the game :P. I guess it helps that the chaos apocalypse to some extent has already happened, although here, so has the law apocalypse already happened to some extent.

But in any case, circling back to the point: Chaos hero still feels like a human being and felt more like one as his story progresses. When he first finds power and leaves you after achieving his dark desire, he seems lost but he seems more like he's fighting for something bigger than himself by the end. Law hero...well he's got the opposite trajectory. When he first goes through his transformation it is like "oh I can see why he likes this cause--Aoba (name I used) was weak and lost to the cruel world and he wants to save the people like her" and he seems amenable and friendly if speaking in odd terms when you first find him again--he just wants to help people and save the world. But...as you cross his path he becomes a raving madman as his master's tighten their leash on him. He seems to have distinctly lost his humanity. So I think killing him will feel less bad.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I love so much about the Cathedral is how the Law side of town has no random encounters and shops and rooms in orderly rows, while the Chaos side of town is completely haphazard in terms of shop locations and full of fights, and this is something that goes completely unremarked upon in-game and is left for the player to notice. Thematic expression through floor map design, I love SMT1~

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I didn't go to the law base for the longest time and it was quite different indeed when I did go there.

It looks like Gabriel is male in this one? I was always confused why he/she was female in the games until I looked up that there were Christian sects that represented that angel as female. Just took it as mistaking the name for a female name in particular. It was cool to find out that there was another possible explanation.

In general it is interesting seeing the demons who do look like the designs I know and the ones that don't (I'm assuming because they share the sprites, but it is interesting where they do and don't share the sprites).

EDIT: Speaking of Gabriel...is there a glitch in the translation lol? I rakunda'd him and tarukaja'd such that I was shooting him for 300+ per turn with the heroine and I ended up returning my demons and just autoing him for several minutes. So much HP.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Welp...still quite sad killing him. He seemed more human again at the end and less like the thing he'd become...This game.

Edit: And done!

Great game. As I've been saying, I'm pretty floored by the scope and the quality of the world and so many of the particular moments are so good and so uniquely it.

As I've said, I think the game's structure drags somewhat when you get to Ginza through to Destiny Land, but so much of it is so on point imo and it picks up again.

My pet peeves with the game are a) reinforcement rate, b) encounter rate, and c) dead ends and empty treasure chests :P. I wish the combat was better--and it was in the early game imo but although she is wonderful the heroine's ability set is a bit too strong :P. Really, though, I think it is worthwhile to point out that the majority of the time I enjoyed the dungeon crawling. These issues didn't get to me that much tbh.

Last edited:

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah my friend also confirmed that in 4A everything is improved (besides, subjectively, music and dialogues), from gameplay to new boss designs (unless u miss Kamen Rider kaujus from 4)

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
SMT4A improves on 4 by adding skill affinities, fixing Hama/Mudo and Smirk to be more fun, and having a navigator with a charismatic voice. It does so at the cost of any sense of friction, exploration, and the core identity of the series.

Hope newcomers have fun with it though! Adramalech is pretty cool looking, gotta admit.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah gameplay-wise, 4A is better than 4, hands down. Music really just only goes up from 4, since it has most of the same music from 4 with some new tracks.

The story is where Apocalypse suffers, but it does have it's moments.

I personally liked Burroughs and kind of missed her in Apocalypse.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
4A's battle system is so ridiculously slick. It built off of 4 and the little quality of life improvements put it in such a great place.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
NICE
0clOzQo_d.webp

135gf7a_d.webp

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Makoto as Nanashi...I actually kind of love it.

In the scene right before that, who was Yukari supposed to be? I feel like there's someone I'm not thinking of that I couldn't put my finger on. Ken was obviously Yu-Ichi from Soul Hackers.

OMG Yusuke as Aleph, Futuba in a Demonica, P3 Protagonist as Devil Survivor 1 Protagonist, Mitsuru as Nemissa. Perfect.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yukari is Yuzu from Devil Survivor, haha
o1gXHQA_d.webp

And Yusuke is actually SMT1 protagonist!
ExrHsku_d.webp

2420136-smt1hero.jpg

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
That's what it was, I knew she looked familiar.

Idk why I confused Yusuke as SMT1 Protagonist with Aleph for some reason. I guess I gave Aleph different colors in my mind for some reason.

Oct 26, 2017
Im still shocked they haven't revealed the Aleph costume when
dancing is a part of the main story of SMT2
. Tho there isn't a character with luxurious hair as Aleph.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Im still shocked they haven't revealed the Aleph costume when
dancing is a part of the main story of SMT2
. Tho there isn't a character with luxurious hair as Aleph.
They should add Mark from Persona 1 so he can dance crazy.

Honestly since gender swapping isn't off the table for these (Makoto as Nanashi), they should make Mitsuru as Aleph.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting used to not pressing L and R to turn...for a while whenever I wanted to turn left, I'd pull up the map :P.

The QoL improvements of SMTII are pretty impressive. Things like the Disco being its separate room/floor with separate music and tileset and bars being like the bars in SMTIV, as well as things like the ability to sell/buy all at once, sort items, choose which extra skill a demon will use (and they can cost HP yay! I don't know why I like that so much, I do :P), etc. And of course, going back to the map, a map that keeps orientation and has an arrow for the direction of the character.

I haven't had too much success with the conversation system yet, but I've gotten a couple of demons (Alp, Jack Frost, and some bird I forget the name of). Jack Frost was nice to have for King Frost. (And I wish I had tamed his brother back in the slums, but he rejected me :()

Magic doesn't have the attack priority bonus it had in SMT1 and not sure if Zio spells shock as regularly.

I just went with the Aleph, Beth, Gimel, ... naming scheme I see online (used a guide to assign the "correct" name to people). I figure it goes with the plot? IDK seems we were made in a lab or something from the screen where they ask for the names.

I'm reminded of SMTIV and DDS by the opening setting so far; having fun.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Looks like my copy maybe has a faulty save battery :(. I've lost my save and can't think of another reason for it. I've got a potential work around and wasn't too far in but still :(.

Oh well.

EDIT: IDK. The only other thing I can think of is that I had just put it in again after playing some Glory of Heracles III and the first time it didn't work. The second time I put it in, it did but my save was gone. Maybe I did something weird when I put it in the first time.

Kind of annoyed lol. Was less so when I first posted. I liked how my playthrough had gone so far...

Last edited:

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nocturne is basically the foundation of every modern Megaten game, so you'll feel at home at least as far as combat goes, and the rest of it is nothing like the Super Famicom games or Soul Hackers either. It's only aged "badly" if you're too used to quality of life features like fusion search, getting to manually choose inherited skills when fusing or, uh, save everywhere I guess.

If you ask me, it's the finest Megaten game ever made by a wide margin and it remains as masterful today as it was back then. Hell, I'd argue the lack of some modern features actually make it better, I've always been iffy about getting to choose exactly what you want for fusions.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Reminds me randomelder , if you are same that made the "Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne is still incredible" thread back on the old forum, you should really repost it! !

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me randomelder , if you are same that made the "Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne is still incredible" thread back on the old forum, you should really repost it! !

Yeah, that was me! It'd probably be kind of weird to repost it, but here it is if anyone wants to read it. Unfortunately it seems like something happened to all the apostrophes (also I apparently use lots and lots of apostrophes).

Krammy If you've quit SMT4 before beating the minotaur, I think you won't have issues with any sense of exploration in SMT4A. The reason the sequel suffers in that department is because it re-uses 80% of the dungeons and environments from the original, which basically saps any sense of mystery or progression when unlocking new locations. If the only thing you've experienced from 4 is Naraku, a dungeon that's deliberately designed to be claustrophobic and unpleasant to contrast against the big reveal that comes after, then yeah everything in 4A will probably work much better for you.

When it comes to friction I'm referring to any sense that the game is pushing against you or providing a bit of challenge, which doesn't really happen in 4A on normal difficulty until the final boss fight. 4 has its own weird difficulty problems but I did appreciate that it at least made an effort at first and tried to vary up the enemy composition through out the game so that spamming a single spell wasn't always viable. If you aren't a series veteran though none of this may apply to you, I really have no clue any more how the challenge level in this series come across to newcomers.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I love how hopelessly mad the world seems playing Nocturne going for neutral. You see your friends just slipping into madness. Your teacher was always mad, as was Hikawa. The demons are of course mad. The manikins are such a deranged mimicry of the human form, particularly with their strange movements. But your friends...you are just presented with them one by one going mad. Coupled with the neutral ending video it is just so strange and sinister...like it was a bad dream that these monsters lurked within your friends, or was it?

I feel both IV and I situated the madness of their choices more (well Law Hero in I goes pretty damn mad as I posted my thoughts on above, but still there is more of an occasion and external force to his madness).

Edit: Thinking about this some more:

The level in which they do make sense in Nocturne is not at a personal level so much, but at a societal level:
Chiaki is basically an avatar of the violence of the "wanted" against the unwanted. She's competent, pretty, and young. She is what society claims to want and value. Her genocidal rampage is against the unwanted dregs of society, the weak and feeble slave class, in this case.

Isamu, on the other hand, is an avatar of the sort of hanger-on to society that feels that quasi-rejection and lashes out in an anti-social manner. His revenge on society is twisted but also presented by him as saving the people in it. In some sense he still values them (as he clings to them) but wants to transmute his rejection and spread it to everyone

It is like they become the worst "sides" of their sorts brought to maddening extremes in a maddening world.

And this is the sort of thing that generally goes on in SMT but in SMT1 and SMT4 there is more of a narrative surrounding the way they come to these decisions, whereas in Nocturne it is more ethereal how the world mutates the people in it.

Edit: And some more:

Going back to Chiaki and the angels, which was always somewhat weird to me (and I posted about above):

SMT1 Law path felt super (distorted) Christian to me. You have the psychological angle that reminds me of Hikawa's world of silence, which reminds me of ideas of heaven as assimilation with god as contemplation with god. You also have a very explicit "save the meek" narrative surrounding the Law hero and his girlfriend.

Whereas in Nocturne, the angels are all "kill the weak!" and about an egocentric world order where the strongest (by a certain metric) rule in virtue of their glory. It perhaps mimics worldly manifestations of Christianity :P

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been mostly focusing on GoHIII these past few days after I lost my (early on) SMTII save data and when I'm done with it I can hook up the external save battery to the SNES and play SMTII that way but...I couldn't resist playing more SMT on the side and after finishing FFIV DS I've picked up Soul Hackers. Probably not the best of ideas as I will be (probably by sometime next week) returning to SMTII soon but, repeating myself, I couldn't resist :P.

It is interesting. I've played most of Persona 2 EP and it comes across as an alternate "old" Persona game that is also closer to "old" SMT in terms of gameplay and party structure. You have the light field gameplay of old Persona and the fictional (not post-apocalyptic) Japanese town with supernatural problems but you also have the SMT hero and his demons, the SMT heroine (with a twist and more dialogue), magnetite, etc.

I think the vision quest idea is pretty cool.

I'll probably just get through the game slowly and I hope I don't overdose when I pick up SMTII again while also playing this on the side :P.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Soul Hackers has a kickass soundtrack and I agree the Vision Quest is a good idea. Some characters are extremely good.

drtomoe123

Nov 1, 2017
the Bay Area
I needed some reading material the other night so I pulled out my Nocturne strategy guide and MAN I forgot how good the interview with Kaneko and Yamai was (especially considering it was 2004).

In order to effectively represent the war between the Reasons that's going on in the Vortex World, we decided on the existence of the Manikins. In a country or in a company, power is a measure of numbers. A populous country can collect more taxes, and a company with a larger work force can undertake many projects. We wanted the Manikins to represent this overwhelming power in the Vortex World, to fuel the groups in power in the Vortex and to be able to press for the birth of a new world. The Manikins are born from the earth of the Vortex, so could be seen as something like the Vortex's cells. What form the organization of those cells would take should change with what Reason they're fighting for.

Since the Manikins are, as it were, the Vortex itself, they don't have individual goals, but as the Vortex is searching for its Reason, as parts of the Vortex, the Manikins must look for that Reason as well. Since they don't have personal goals, but serve as a strong basis for judgement, and since there are so many of them, they make for an effective intensification of the great war.

As for the Manikins' distinctive conceptualized motif, that comes from us, the way humans think and act. This is a bit vague, but they are based off of the people who're lost to the force of numbers.

For instance, someone who doesn't see movies much but goes to see one that's topical or popular, or buys a CD because it's sold a million copies, without any personal judgement on the matter, and feels that this is the way everyone should be, would be a good candidate for this kind of judgement. It's hard to tell exactly where to draw the line and it is likely that the vast majority of people have this inclination, but there are people among them who almost entirely base their judgement on this strength of numbers. The Manikins are a metaphor for these kinds of people. When you're thinking about buying a game not because it's a game you'll actually like, but because it is advertised a lot and everyone else is playing it, that is acting like a Manikin. Be careful. ~ Kaneko

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any easy to remember way to get the Neutral path in SMTIV? I usually go Chaos route each time but the chaos route in this game is lack luster.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It took me hours of calculation to get neutral lol, it wasn't even that bad to get there but i was sure i messed up

drtomoe123

Nov 1, 2017
the Bay Area
I started up Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the first time since I had the Wii U plugged up.

I didn't follow the game before release very much, but for some reason I kept thinking of it as Fire Emblem X Persona. Having the Japanese track is really nice and my wife and I were so surprised at both how much we understood and how realistic the dialogue is. I dropped into the first dungeon and thought oh yeah duh I remember now, this was FExSMT. My wife is going through P5 right now and one big difference is that, stylistically/in terms of presentation, Tokyo Mirage Sessions alternates from looking very bland (the maps/over world aren't bad or boring -- they're just simple and very gamey) to looking UNBELIEVABLY COOL (level up screens, main menu, art). It's very jarring, especially alternating with something like P5 which is always consistent in its presentation. Honestly, that makes it feel more like a SMT game since the dialogue and world of TMS have already hinted that the game's deeper themes are very big (besides, the actual game's fun too!) -- so I'm excited to play more and see where it goes. Playing it on Hard since I'm trying to challenge myself more (I don't know if I should be worried).

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
TMS is great. It was my first Atlus game. Yes, I've played quite a few in the year and a half or so since :P.

I like its pacing and combat. It plays mostly like a pre-Persona 3 SMT spinoff with some light Persona/FE inspired field content centered on relationships. I don't think the FE crossover is any good and the idol theme could be a bit much but I love the game.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pick the top option at every mandatory option, avoid all optional ones, side with Jonathan, pick the left path each time at the questions,

Thanks. I just found out I have to send in my N3DS for repair but once I get it back I'm going all in a Neutral Route run with your strategy. Lol..

The law one is even worse.

I can't even imagine how bad that is. Chaos route in IV was so disappointing. I expected the Chaos ending in IV to be some kind of evolution of the True Demon Ending of SMTIII Nocturne for some reason. I remember just before I played IV for the first time I played Strange Journey going the Chaos Route that game too and it was so much better.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I need to finish TMS some day, but that requires hooking my Wii U back up.

I'm sort of holding out for a Switch port, as that game would benefit immensely from a handheld version. It absolutely needs a second chance like Bayonetta 2 did.

daevious

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even imagine how bad that is. Chaos route in IV was so disappointing. I expected the Chaos ending in IV to be some kind of evolution of the True Demon Ending of SMTIII Nocturne for some reason. I remember just before I played IV for the first time I played Strange Journey going the Chaos Route that game too and it was so much better.

And this is why I'm not as annoyed by SMT4A going the way it did: because vanilla 4 already demonstrated that the old formula had become an albatross around the developers necks. Even if the actual plot itself is of questionable quality, I will gladly take that over the absolute nothings that SMT4's Law and Chaos routes are.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And this is why I'm not as annoyed by SMT4A going the way it did: because vanilla 4 already demonstrated that the old formula had become an albatross around the developers necks. Even if the actual plot itself is of questionable quality, I will gladly take that over the absolute nothings that SMT4's Law and Chaos routes are.
The problem with SMTIV's law and chaos endings is that although they're weren't completely shafted into early bad endings like in Apocalypse, the game still was clearly designed in a way where neutral was the "Good" or at least "hardest to reach" ending, both getting into the route and then the route itself. As a result of that, laws and chaos are basically sabotaged on a conceptual level, since the game design clearly favors neutral.

It makes all the more odd the way the game just ignores the factions you haven't sided with after the route split, since even neutral ends up feeling incomplete due to the chaos and law forces basically just sitting around waiting for the final battle there, with no real build up.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So, having finished GoHIII, I restarted SMTII (I lost my save data before), and I've gotten a very different stat spread on Beth lol. She's built more like the main character and less like a magic user, which, well, Zio spells aren't in this game what they were in SMTI but...I worry about her MP wrt healing powers. She's got like 42 MP.

I'm torn. I got Cait Sith right as I was about to enter the mansion and finish that story arc. He seems like a fairly decent demon for this part of the game with a level close to mine and tarukaja in particular. At the same time I want to reroll Beth.

Looking at it, it does look like I got a more magic oriented Hiroko this time though. I was wondering why I didn't remember her having Media. Hmmmm....what to do. Might save on the second file and then go back and try to get a better Beth.

Edit: Did such, got a magic dominant Beth and got Cait Sith in the same way again :).

Last edited: