• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's quicker than I was expecting.

Looking forward to this - I haven't played SJ since it came out.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Devilman Crybaby got so popular that it pushed me to re-read the original manga (it had been so long, I read it back when I had only played P2 as far as Megaten goes) to watch it later and holy shit, I haven't played MT1 or 2 but there's no way SMT is at least partially inspired by it, it basically feels like a Megaten spinoff.

Now I'm watching Crybaby and this one's ever more reminiscent of SMT1 and Devil Survivor, it's really, really good. I don't even watch anime so I'm pretty surprised of how much I'm enjoying this.

So yeah I'm sure this will be old news to some, but if you're into manga or anime you should totally check either the original source material or the new anime adaptation for your SMT fix... Just be warned that Crybaby specifically has a lot of explicitly sexual content, some of it fairly questionable, so it's definitely not suitable for minors.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Ever since I've been playing Persona 3, this has been bothering me:

Is there a poster for Strange Journey in Yukari's room?

It kind of reminds me of this, but maybe it was an early verison of it?

It's the poster on the far left. I see the upside down semicircle, and characters in what looks like Demonicas maybe? It's a stretch, and we'll probably never know unless someone could ask a dev from Atlus that worked on P3, but what do you guys think?
That's one hell of a catch.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3 came out in 2006. Strange Journey didn't come out until 2010.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's entirely possible it's early artwork is what I was proposing. It wouldn't be the first time Atlus has inserted a reference to a game that came out four years later. I've seen that reference to the Phantom Thieves in P4G, and that came out four years before P5 did in Japan.

Grim Patron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They must really not be confident in SJ Redux because 1. No launch edition when even alliance alive gets one. 2. No english dub.

daevious

Oct 25, 2017
It's entirely possible it's early artwork is what I was proposing. It wouldn't be the first time Atlus has inserted a reference to a game that came out four years later. I've seen that reference to the Phantom Thieves in P4G, and that came out four years before P5 did in Japan.

That's different, the Phantom Thief trope has circulated anime for years beforehand. So Naoto's reference to that is just her criticising the idea of a phantom thief as childish, despite the fact that she herself indulged in silly police gadgetry as a child.

A better example would be that Kaneko artwork for Raidou he made in 1999.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
That's different, the Phantom Thief trope has circulated anime for years beforehand. So Naoto's reference to that is just her criticising the idea of a phantom thief as childish, despite the fact that she herself indulged in silly police gadgetry as a child.

A better example would be that Kaneko artwork for Raidou he made in 1999.

Do you have the early Raidou artwork ? I'm interested to see how it looks like

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well I took a Xenoblade 2-size unintended break from SMT1, but I've returned to it.

I bit the bullet and went law at Ikebukuro and I'll be looking for ways to tack back. I sort of want to do it within the narrative but I might resort to other means if I fail to do so (thanks for the information about the healing spots above :)).

I got out of the prison and bought Magic (Charm) bullets! So that is happy...I'm using an online resource to compare these weapons before I buy--that's a bit of QoL I'm loathe to surrender tbh, especially when the Golden Gun went for 50k and I had no idea how many targets it hit and what not. (And I didn't know Magic=Charm either).

I could keep using more of my demons than I thought when I went law, so it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

I've got a new sword (an enemy drop?) better than kusanagi-no-tsurugi and my hero is back to sword-single (maybe multiple) and gun-group. It is kushinawa iirc.

I also noticed tarunda effecting my gun damage, which was nice. I'd thought since I'd seen tetrakarn do nothing to it that gun was sort of outside the whole taru-/raku-kaja/-nda system. Nice to notice it is not and I'm feeling better about all of my hero's points in strength.

Speaking of stats, I have a question about intelligence, or rather a couple of questions:

When I was leveling the law hero, I focused on magic as it presented better stat gains level-by-level and speed, with a smattering of stamina for HP upgrades.

The heroine always came to me with her intelligence leveled up and always with higher MP than the law hero. Does intelligence raise MP, like stamina does HP, i.e. every couple of points there is a stat jump? I remember her HP getting closer to her MP and then suddenly her MP was far ahead again and this happened around the time I used an intelligence incense on her but I never caught the jump on level up or on that usage (wasn't paying attention :P)

The other question is: what exactly is 'magic effect'?

Does that help things like dolminer and marin karin hit? That's the only guess I have :P.

Idk. She's a powerhouse and the computer gave her a healthy dose of intelligence but I'm just curious about this.

Anyways, it took a bit getting used to the battle frequency again but now that I'm out of prison, been to the shops, and saved I feel good again.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
It has been a long time since I played SMT1 but I am thinking of getting back to it. I like the game a lot, but it also can be kind of draining with the encounter rate and the sameness of corridors. I believe I had just reached Ginza and currently only had a party of the MC and the Heroine. Not sure how far into the game that is.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I was just operating out of Ginza, but Shinigawa is sort of wrapped up in Ginza too. As is the police station. Don't really know if you need to do those, though. I got some items from them but not sure how it comes together.

I think it is a decent ways in, but I'm not sure. IDK what level I got there at, but I left in my mid-40s and I'm now in my 50s thanks to the jailkeeper leveling me thrice. I think that's a fairly high level? IDK also could be I got lost too much and leveled too much lol. Or that the game just sort of flows all the way to 100.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...just ran into Bishamonten. Not sure I want to kill him...i.e. not sure if he has anything to do with the alignment or story :P.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I'm sure some would consider this sacrilege, but I kind of want to see a remake of SMT I & II with a clearer story. Or at the very least a version where it is much more clear where to go and what to do. Reading my guidebook and the few websites I was able to find info on, it's starting to seem like you're just sort of supposed to wander around aimlessly and stumble across different bits of information. But referencing guides it's difficult to tell whether or not I'm coming across the information they're alluding to.

"監視塔最上階にてベルフェゴールを撃破。その後セイレーンに会い、彼女を鳴きやませるための情報を集めるべくホーリータウンへ戻る。"

One man mentions Siren's lover in 魔界, but doesn't point me in any particular direction regarding 魔界. I suppose this was the information that I was supposed to find pointing me to the church (I'm supposed to remember there was a portal to the 魔界 in the church upon hearing this and head there, I suppose?)

Referring to an English guide, "At this point, you need to go all the way down and go to various bars. Most people will tell you that you need to go to the abyss."

No one has said anything of the sort.

I don't know how I would play this game blind.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure some would consider this sacrilege, but I kind of want to see a remake of SMT I & II with a clearer story. Or at the very least a version where it is much more clear where to go and what to do. Reading my guidebook and the few websites I was able to find info on, it's starting to seem like you're just sort of supposed to wander around aimlessly and stumble across different bits of information. But referencing guides it's difficult to tell whether or not I'm coming across the information they're alluding to.

"監視塔最上階にてベルフェゴールを撃破。その後セイレーンに会い、彼女を鳴きやませるための情報を集めるべくホーリータウンへ戻る。"

One man mentions Siren's lover in 魔界, but doesn't point me in any particular direction regarding 魔界. I suppose this was the information that I was supposed to find pointing me to the church (I'm supposed to remember there was a portal to the 魔界 in the church upon hearing this and head there, I suppose?)

Referring to an English guide, "At this point, you need to go all the way down and go to various bars. Most people will tell you that you need to go to the abyss."

No one has said anything of the sort.

I don't know how I would play this game blind.

When SMT4 came out , I was hoping for a SMT1 remake using SMT4 assets. In the end we did get SMT:F but i think more people will be interested in getting SMT lol

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I think wanting a less obtuse version of the older games is quite fine, I love it as they are but there's a reason I don't replay them often haha. Still, I don't want any remakes of classic SMT because if they did that to SJ then there's no hope for the rest lol.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So far I got really lost in Shinjuku when getting into the resistance hideout. I had declined that bartender after talking to Yuriko just by rote and when I went to explore the bars and disco again because I was clearly missing something, I forgot about the Yuriko bar because on the map it does not look like the other bars, which have wide open rooms.

I looked that up after spending a lot of time in Shinjuku and running around the map to see if I was missing some other place I could go.

I haven't been at a loss like that in SMT1 again yet. I am kind of confused atm as to what is my current purpose and what the items I've picked up do (well it seems kusanagi-no-tsurugi can fuse with demons? and that the gem I got opens Bishamonten (and I'm guessing that door next to Shibuya too) but what does the police station item do? idk) but I still seemingly have places to go.

It seems SMTII is more confusing from talk in here.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I love that Atlus couldn't always keep spell names consistent.

In P3FES, and most other games, the second tier AoE fire spell is "Maragion", in P3P it's "Maragilao".

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That always bugged me that that spell wasn't called Maragilao, like Mabufula and Mazionga.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
That always bugged me that that spell wasn't called Maragilao, like Mabufula and Mazionga.
I was always curious how they came up with the localized names, whether it was based on Atlus Japan's input or Atlus USA came up with them. In the original Aeon Genesis translation of SMT1 (without the patch that brings the localization to be in line with the official ones), spells are "Ma-zan, Ma-bufu, etc." I can't remember what the second tier fire spell in SMT1 is under that translation though.

I wonder if they are ever going to have Garu and Zan in the same game again. I know Persona 1 has both, and don't some other games? I found it odd that IV/IVA used Zan while SJ had Garu.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Mahanma is the equivalent of Mudoon in SMT1

Hanma and Mudo seem to be multi-target but less wide-reaching. Mahanma and Mudoon work like you'd think Mahamaon and Mamudoon would work.

Edit:

In general, I always was interested that third tier spells like Mudoon, Hamaon, and Megidolaon share the -on ending with Maragion.

It seems to me that Mudoon and Mahanma are 2nd tier spells in SMT1 just like Maragion. (there being no -dyne spells in the spell list?)

but Mahanma looks like Mahama and that is another wrinkle...It appears to add the maha-prefix instead of adding an -on or -(m or l or g)a ending, while Mudoon adds the -on ending.

There does seem to be a difference in the targeting of Mahanma from plain Hanma and there also seems to be a tier upgrade, relating to the -on tacked on to Mudo, but you don't get both alterations in both names, rather one and a different one onto each.

Beyond that, why is it agilao instead of agi(l)a? Why isn't it maha agilao? (as people have asked)

I think it begs looking into the MT1&2 spell lists.

Edit 2:

It looks like there is very little continuity with MT1 spells at least. Recarm, Hama, Tetraja show up but it doesn't appear the obvious ones do.

MTII has:

(~single target (they aren't but...fewer targets :P)
Agi
Agima
Agion

(target all)
Agila
Agirama
Agilaon
Agidyne

Maha agion could be the source of maragion? (i.e. a maha replacement for Agilaon?)

Bufu
Bufurama
Bufuraon
Bufudyne

It seems aon used to be a third tier ending and -rama a second tier ending (think mediarama?)

Megidolaon and Hamaon and Mudoon still seem to have the -aon ending.

Bufu and Zan appear to just have the one branch. Zio is like Agi.

Hamaon appears as the peer of Mudoon.

There is also, however, Mudohanma :P (peer of Hamadyne)

But yeah, I'd have to guess the answer lies in the transition from MTII to SMTI and an evolution of naming conventions.

As far as I can tell, the second tier generaly disappeared, although the ending lives on in Mediarama. Meanwhile the third tier becomes the second tier but is only preserved in the expel/curse and fire spells (And shared with the almighty spells) for some reason.

Although, it looks like Mediama is Mediarama in MTII :P. And Agilao isn't Agion or Agilaon today.

Last edited:

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I don't like the fact that saving the factory workers shifts you over to law to such a degree that you can easily jump from chaos to law. It's also apparent that the questions I'm going to be asked at the Center building will shift me over to law, so I'll have to reset and do without saving any factory workers. Too bad, I wanted that to be part of the actions that I took.

Oct 25, 2017
Tutorial chapter is a little long for my taste, but otherwise it seems pretty solid. Good music and overall mechanics from what they've introduced. Haven't quite hit a point where the real game starts and the resource crunch hits. I'm on an iPhone X and it runs really, really nicely, but it definitely isn't battery friendly.

I think the presentation is really slick, from the loading screens, to the menus and animations they have etc. Even font treatment in some places calls back to SMT1. The screen can get a little cluttered in places with everything going on, but it's not unplayable. As I recall during the beta that was one of the bigger complaints.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Tutorial chapter is a little long for my taste, but otherwise it seems pretty solid. Good music and overall mechanics from what they've introduced. Haven't quite hit a point where the real game starts and the resource crunch hits. I'm on an iPhone X and it runs really, really nicely, but it definitely isn't battery friendly.

I think the presentation is really slick, from the loading screens, to the menus and animations they have etc. Even font treatment in some places calls back to SMT1. The screen can get a little cluttered in places with everything going on, but it's not unplayable. As I recall during the beta that was one of the bigger complaints.

now I want to see how it looks like on an iphone X

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017

How's the game's framerate? Does it run smoothly?

I guarantee lots of people who can't will try it anyway.

I would love to try myself but I have little patience with trial and error of menus and options. If it gets good impressions, then the wait will be painful. Hope we don't get to wait too long.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I tried Dx2 myself last night. I could sort of follow along with what was going on just because of my previous SMT knowledge. The battle system is Press Turn, and it's a fairly simplistic version of them. Each demon only has like 2-3 spells other than their basic attack, at least it looked like the was only room for a few. The tutorial is quite long it seems, and some of it I don't really understand what's going on, like with the studio/apartment. I'm glad to see fusion is in the game, although I don't completely understand the difference between the gacha thing, and which demons you can negotiate with to join you. Although I couldn't really tell when it had me negotiate with a Mokoi if it actually joined me or not. I saw a Mokoi in my demon stock later, but wasn't sure if I already had it or what. There were a bunch of demons I didn't know I had. Also I didn't really get why there were other human characters you could have a set of demons on, and when you actually use them.

I remember in the trailers/videos, I saw dungeon crawling. Where is that? I have yet to see it, although I am not out of the tutorial and it is quite long. The game looks really good, and if these are the models we see used in SMTV (or even higher res versions of them), then we are in for a treat. They have plenty of animations for each demon, which look quite cool. The backgrounds are nice too, although I hope there are more battle backdrops because I will eventually get tired of the seeing the same city street over and over again.

Also it lets you pick between a male and female protagonist, I want to believe I should get my hopes up for that option in SMTV, but idk.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Oof...according to Reddit, 5 star demons are a 0.5% chance with the gacha...

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devilman Crybaby got so popular that it pushed me to re-read the original manga (it had been so long, I read it back when I had only played P2 as far as Megaten goes) to watch it later and holy shit, I haven't played MT1 or 2 but there's no way SMT is at least partially inspired by it, it basically feels like a Megaten spinoff.

Now I'm watching Crybaby and this one's ever more reminiscent of SMT1 and Devil Survivor, it's really, really good. I don't even watch anime so I'm pretty surprised of how much I'm enjoying this.

So yeah I'm sure this will be old news to some, but if you're into manga or anime you should totally check either the original source material or the new anime adaptation for your SMT fix... Just be warned that Crybaby specifically has a lot of explicitly sexual content, some of it fairly questionable, so it's definitely not suitable for minors.
I recently watched Crybaby and had the same thoughts. I'd been sleeping on the Devilman series for so long and after watching Crybaby I definitely gotta go back and check out the other stuff.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Crybaby was amazing. It'd probably be way too close to it, but imagine Yuasa doing a SMT adaptation.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus' own "anime" elements in their SMT games make me doubt that an anime series would turn out good, but man, a Yuasa one could be amazing... For the time being though, crybaby is more than enough.
I recently watched Crybaby and had the same thoughts. I'd been sleeping on the Devilman series for so long and after watching Crybaby I definitely gotta go back and check out the other stuff.
Right? I couldn't stop thinking of SMT the whole time.

I'm catching up with all things Devilman myself but I recommend the Mao Dante (or Demon Lord Dante) manga a lot. It was never properly finished but it's sort of a prototype for the original Devilman manga and I feel it complements it very well.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
There's demons I really didn't expect to see in Dx2, including Kamitoko, who we haven't seen since Soul Hackers. I would expect since these have 3D models, we would likely see them in SMTV.

Apparently there are only 3 Fiends in the game right now, and none of them are Matador or Daisoujou :(

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This game is developed by Sega though and doesn't seem to use the models from Persona, so the demon selection here probably won't be related to Atlus' games.