• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

warheat

Oct 28, 2017
hi guys, not sure if this is allowed but mod feel free to remove this post, so I collect SMT games and I'm tracking down a Raidou 2 and Strange Journey copy and I find someone selling brand new on Amazon for $30 but unfortunately it doesn't ship to my country, just wondering if anyone here who live in US want to help me purchase the game and send it to me? I'll pay you through paypal/steam gift card or whatever. Please shoot me with PM for details.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the person that thought Night Queen was a good idea has long since departed from Atlus.

I had his health down to the point where you can't even see yellow on the bar, but a Night Queen hit and killed Mitsuru, inflicted Distress on the protagonist and Akihiko, and Charm on Yukari. All were low, and low on SP too, so I had no real choice other than to use a Soma instead of Me Patra. Nyx's usual attacks happen, Protagonist is down to 246 now. Yukari attacks the protagonist and critical hits and he's fucking dead. This is impossible.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I give up. After losing for the umpteenth time to horribly innefficient party members or Night Queen bullshit, I'm just going to play the whole game again on Persona 3 Portable and maybe actually beat it.

I keep hearing people make the argument that being able to control your party breaks the game, and I don't believe you, and this final boss proves it.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I give up. After losing for the umpteenth time to horribly innefficient party members or Night Queen bullshit, I'm just going to play the whole game again on Persona 3 Portable and maybe actually beat it.

I keep hearing people make the argument that being able to control your party breaks the game, and I don't believe you, and this final boss proves it.

Man, sorry to hear that, I think I beat it on my third attempt.
The ending scene loses most of its epicness in the portable version but it's not worth all this frustration.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing a bit of P3P, I haven't even hit the first battle where your Persona awakens. It's a shame there isn't a definitive version, but I am still liking what I have seen so far. I am playing FeMC named "Anne Nyxkillr". I've never really understood Atlus's resistance to female protagonists, it's always seemed bizarre to me since they are generally a blank slate for the most part. FeMC works quite well in P3P, and it would be even easier to do in mainline games. Off the top of my head, if... had an option, and of course Maya in P2EP.

The upside for the presentation on P3P for me is that it will likely cut down the time from start to finish for me. I'm mainly doing this to actually beat the game, and I can watch the anime sequences I missed on YouTube.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
P3P is my favourite version, both for gameplay tweaks and the VN feel.
Tbh, I don't feel like you're losing much in terms of cutscenes since they were pretty basic in the PS2 version.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well lost in Shinjuku after all :P. I've mapped everything that isn't blocked by the various sorts of "you shall not pass" people as far as I can tell. I guess I've not read people at the discotheque and bars closely enough. There were hints that Ozawa was looking for the heroine (but didn't know anything about her or her whereabouts) and that his building was northwest of Shinjuku so I'm suspicious of one of the people who kicks me out of his room in that direction. Also curious about the guy who kicks me out in the sub-basement of the mall as the heroine was supposedly going to Shinjuku.

Also concerned I haven't found Pascal again yet.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Did you try grinding in Monad at all?

Pretty sure you need to beat the Reaper to get there, right? I did not do that. I unfortunately have no access to Odin, making that extremely difficult.
P3P is my favourite version, both for gameplay tweaks and the VN feel.
Tbh, I don't feel like you're losing much in terms of cutscenes since they were pretty basic in the PS2 version.

I agree so far about it being the best version. I'm doing the first block of Tartarus, and I love many of the QoL and balance changes. Obviously Direct Command is the big one, but there are others like being able to see the health bar when you hit L1 (or just L on PSP) to analyze (was a minor annoyance that you had to choose an attack to see it). The fact that you have to pay for healing in the Tartarus lobby is one that took me by surprise, and for a minute I was afraid it would remove the fatigue mechanic, but fortunately it does not. It's a good balance change to charge for healing.

I also particularly like that the menus and animations are faster. It's a minor thing, but really does make a difference. Being able to access party member skills and stats from the same menu is quite welcome. It was always annoying to have to back out and talk to them, and hope you talk to the right person because it was kind of janky.

A beef I kind of have with FeMC though is the over abundance of pink. The blues in the color palette from the original contributed to the mood of the game. It's a minor annoyance though. I also don't get why they made it where you could move the same turn you recover from being knocked down.

Regarding the anime scenes in the original, the animation was quite bad. I think I posted a screenshot in here (or maybe it was at the old place) from one where everyone was sitting at the dorm, and the body proportions were hilarious.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa that's another crazy balance change: When using an AoE attack, any exploited weakness results in a 1 more.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It feels much harder to accumulate MAG than in SMT II than in the original. Mostly because of how negotiations work in this one.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I had missed talking to the bartender it turned out so I got through that story arc now. I used the two Jacks on the boss to get area of effect attacks but sadly bufu wasn't very effective. Agi was though :).

I'm wondering if I'll use demons more that my party has shrunk. To this point I'd just been using them on bosses really.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm noticing more and more changes in P3P, many for the better in my opinion. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Tartarus floors are bigger in P3P than in the PS2 versions. Plenty of times I have seen the stairs pretty close from the start, but wanted to explore more, and went off and there was no quick way back to the stairs other than back the way I came. I have seen the Reaper in this game more times just in Thebel than I saw it in my entire playthrough (up to Nyx) of P3 FES. It's a very good thing as it actually instills a fear while exploring.

I noticed Yukari still gets Re Patra, but with the change to recovering from knockdowns, what exactly is the point of it? You can move the same turn you recover from a knockdown, so what use is Re Patra in this game?

Also I'm glad to see that Junpei replaces Kenji for the Magician Social Link when playing FeMC. Fuck Kenji, he's a dick.

I made it to the barricade, the first guardian took me a few tries, but I went and got Alp with Sukunda and all was well. I liked that kind of boss where the solution was getting the Persona to fit the job rather than trying to idiot proof your allies.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Played the game for an hour and then it froze. : ( Played it for another hour, froze again. Both times trying to grind for MAG. It happens during demon negotiation, when the enemy is about to give me an item. The animation keeps running, but it freezes.

I might have to drop the game if it's going to be like this.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Met Thorman and Gotou. Still have to figure out how to handle them...Don't really want to help Tokyo get nuked or to worsen the current demon apocalypse much.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Met Thorman and Gotou. Still have to figure out how to handle them...Don't really want to help Tokyo get nuked or to worsen the current demon apocalypse much.

How's the game so far for you ? It was my first SMT and I really struggled, I mean most spells weren't even properly spelled due to space issues. When my friends gave me advice after the fact, it was like a breeze. Kinda like when I played FF8 without knowing how junction works lol

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
It is going good so far.

There've been a couple times where I was at a loss of where to go so far, namely when you have to walk into that barricade to see the old man in Kichijoji and when you have to talk to the bartender after Yuriko, but mostly it has been pretty clear where I needed to go next. I just tried the barricade by the forest after a while but I ended up looking up where I needed to go the second time after I thought I'd been back to all the bars (the right one doesn't have the "big room" the other establishments have so I didn't recognize it as a bar on the map) :P.

Doman was kind of hard with his bind ability but with enough firepower in my demons he wasn't too bad. I think I could've used Cerebus on him? I didn't but I enjoyed the fight. The mob at the execution was fun. Jack O' Lantern was nice with maha agi.

I haven't really used demons outside of boss fights so far though or done much fusing at all. As to the first thing: getting lost in Shinjuku for a sizable time has me (I assume) fairly overleveled, which could be relevant. As to second: I kind of wish there were a) more terminals and b) a fusion place right next to one so I was more inclined to experiment with it. The first also feeds into the second.

So far I'm enjoying the narrative. I like/find amusing the American involvement. Gotou was strange lounging about half naked in his office and unaware of his subordinates' activities besides being at the head of a group inducing a demon apocalypse in Tokyo. Seeking out all the women with a certain name is also just such a strange way to go about things and comes across as out of a fairy tale, which fits the mood.

The weird moments like the dreams and what happens in your home before you leave Kichijoji are interesting too.

The encounter rate is too damn high, as is the reinforcement rate, and I wish the map didn't reorient according to how you are facing when you open it. At least they give you which direction you are facing to maintain your sense of direction. These are probably my core complaints.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It is going good so far.

There've been a couple times where I was at a loss of where to go so far, namely when you have to walk into that barricade to see the old man in Kichijoji and when you have to talk to the bartender after Yuriko, but mostly it has been pretty clear where I needed to go next. I just tried the barricade by the forest after a while but I ended up looking up where I needed to go the second time after I thought I'd been back to all the bars (the right one doesn't have the "big room" the other establishments have so I didn't recognize it as a bar on the map) :P.

Doman was kind of hard with his bind ability but with enough firepower in my demons he wasn't too bad. I think I could've used Cerebus on him? I didn't but I enjoyed the fight. The mob at the execution was fun. Jack O' Lantern was nice with maha agi.

I haven't really used demons outside of boss fights so far though or done much fusing at all. As to the first thing: getting lost in Shinjuku for a sizable time has me (I assume) fairly overleveled, which could be relevant. As to second: I kind of wish there were a) more terminals and b) a fusion place right next to one so I was more inclined to experiment with it. The first also feeds into the second.

So far I'm enjoying the narrative. I like/find amusing the American involvement. Gotou was strange lounging about half naked in his office and unaware of his subordinates' activities besides being at the head of a group inducing a demon apocalypse in Tokyo. Seeking out all the women with a certain name is also just such a strange way to go about things and comes across as out of a fairy tale, which fits the mood.

The weird moments like the dreams and what happens in your home before you leave Kichijoji are interesting too.

The encounter rate is too damn high, as is the reinforcement rate, and I wish the map didn't reorient according to how you are facing when you open it. At least they give you which direction you are facing to maintain your sense of direction. These are probably my core complaints.
As much as I prefer the SFC version, the later remakes do the map like Persona 2, with a fixed angle.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
The final dungeon in SMT4:A is shit. I think i am going to give up. Its soooo long and i can't talk my way out.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
There's a little P3 Easter Egg I'm not sure many people knew:

In the school by the shop, there's the display with the red and blue pillows that have the sword and scepter on them. They have the Kirijo family motto: "Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection."

This is the Emperor and Empress boss.

latest

Red and blue, Sword and Scepter, and in Tartarus, which would be in the school.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I felt so doomed until Nekomata agreed to talk again after she'd charmed me. I had no human or demon companions for certain reasons and no one wanted to talk either :P. I've got a group back again now thankfully.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that whole episode was pretty cool imo. Demons got a lot more use than they had been getting up to that point, mostly the aforementioned Nekomata, Asparas, and Forneus.

I liked the helplessness of the countdown. I was trying to get to the sewer portion of the building but I didn't recall the way back and couldn't get auto-mapper up in a time-efficient manner :P. It didn't matter--as it probably shouldn't have. But really, Bill Clinton, how could you allow your subordinates to do this to Japan?

Re-entering Tokyo was cool, seeing how it changed, although I unsummoned my demons too soon :P. I got mobbed by a horde of Messian knights followed by a horde of Kelpies. I managed to escape and limped to Shinjuku.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Re-entering Tokyo was cool, seeing how it changed, although I unsummoned my demons too soon :P. I got mobbed by a horde of Messian knights followed by a horde of Kelpies. I managed to escape and limped to Shinjuku.

Unlike in SMIV, you can actually recruit generic Messians and Gaeans. The game basically treats them like demons though (SMTII changes it up a bit by making their fusions work differently).

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
So has anyone here played Strange Journey Remake/master? Don't recall seeing any impressions.

Basically, I want to know if the game was made any more accessible and dare I say, easier?

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone here played Strange Journey Remake/master? Don't recall seeing any impressions.

Basically, I want to know if the game was made any more accessible and dare I say, easier?
I know back when it came out, some people played it and said it was decent, and was in fact easier. However I didn't hear many complaints about it "going Persona" once they actually played it. A lot of the new human art was still pretty bad, but some of the ones that weren't shown with marketing (such as Louisa, Jack, etc.) looked just fine. Louisa had that same quality where something was supposed to look "off" about her and that was preserved pretty well.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember we had a short livef import OT that was basically everyone laughing/rolling their eyes at changes and/or story spoilers from the new content.

But yeah it's easier.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, Megaten fans elsewhere were not kind to the story expansions in Strange Journey Redux, and a few felt that 'save anywhere' cheapened the experience by making it too easy (though obviously YMMV and I don't really care about nerfing difficulty or ensuring that I play a real Shin Megoomi Tensay game).

I'm a little apprehensive but I know I'll lap it up.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
It can't match the original, but I still think it looks like a decent remake.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the most disappointing things about the SJR localization will be the lack of English voice acting when most of these characters would actually speak English!

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I actually would be surprised if SJR doesn't end up EN voices only like most SMT games in the west.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Wait really? Wow, I completely missed any statement about the localization of the game outside of the announcement / release window.
https://gematsu.com/2017/06/shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey-redux-coming-americas-early-2018

It will cost $39.99 and retain its original Japanese voices.

I hope that special edition comes over though. I would love to have that on my shelf next to my Kaneko Works books and SMTIV art book.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
In the most "western looking" mainline SMT too, oh and the only one that doesn't take place in Japan.
Yep. I've said it before and I'll say it again: SJ always had more to gain from a 3DS port/remake than the Devil Survivor games did. The sprites on Devil Survivor aged quite well, meanwhile the dungeons on the original look quite rough, and it's clear in SJR they definitely benefited. It's just a damn shame about the humans :(

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Some more observations about P3P.

I understand how the knockdowns work in P3P now. In P3 and FES, you get hit by something you are weak to, you are knocked down, your next turn is spent getting back up, unless someone uses Re Patra. Being hit by anything else before getting up will get you up and let you attack normally. Also Every target of your attack had to have the same weakness, or you don't get a 1 more.

In P3P, you get hit by something you are weak to and get knocked down, you still stay down if anything else hits you, but if something you are weak to hits you, you are stunned and take an extra turn to recover from that. Re Patra takes care of that to. If you are only down and not stunned, you can act in the same turn you get up. Also you get a 1 more if your attack exploits a weakness on anyone, it does not have to be all.

I personally like P3P's handling of it more, as it gives more of a reason to use Re Patra. In the PS2 versions, things would just take care of themselves and you would likely eat another hit and be back up, there really wasn't much strategy involved, where as in P3P, having someone down is very risky if you don't take care of it immediately.

I feel like while skill cards make it easier, they are not really necessary. They really cheapen the challenge of the quests for fusing certain Personas with certain skills. I am making it a point to do those without using skill cards. If anything, they should have just had skill inheritance not be random. Most people effectively "choose" the inherited skills anyway by backing in and out of the fusion until they see what they want. It's just a dumb time sink. Fortunately P4G and P5 did this, as well as other SMT games.

Are there no fusion spells? I haven't seen any of the ones I remember from FES.

I am really liking FeMC's route. So far I like most of her exclusive S-links better than the ones they replaced. Junpei is Junpei, but at least he replaced Kenji (that teacher crush dick). So far I do feel like the FeMC route is more socially progressive in general, which is weird to think how Atlus went from this to the negative gay stereotypes in P5. I want to see female Protagonist options in both SMT and Persona games.

I also noticed they changed the availability of some of the social links, such as Maiko being there less days off the week than the original.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the knock down is more like P4 in P3P?

Take-Minetaka's name is too long lol. The fan translation has left me with the text "red" (ending of appeared) because the text overshot the text box. Hope that goes away on reload or something.

I'm thinking my revisit to Shinjuku is done for now? It is clearly unresolved but I think that was a clear sign that I'm supposed to move on to Shibuya and looking for the heroine again. So out into the wastes I go.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the knock down is more like P4 in P3P?

Take-Minetaka's name is too long lol. The fan translation has left me with the text "red" (ending of appeared) because the text overshot the text box. Hope that goes away on reload or something.

I'm thinking my revisit to Shinjuku is done for now? It is clearly unresolved but I think that was a clear sign that I'm supposed to move on to Shibuya and looking for the heroine again. So out into the wastes I go.
I actually wasn't aware P4's knockdown was differnet like that, but I think it's a better way for that to work than the way P3/FES did.