• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Man there are a lot of Atlus games I've never even heard of. I should go back and check out all the stuff that made it to NA but not EU.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Started Devil Survivor on the 3DS. Currently 3 hours in. I get a 5 minutes freeze everytime I get into the summon menu in battle, anyone knows why ?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks, I wasn't notified of a patch in the UI but checking eshop suddenly made it available. Too bad it doesn't remove Yuzu from the game but I'll live.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I like Yuzu because she's the only one in the game who behaves realistically when confronted by demons and all the other stuff that happens. Not that you'd want an entire cast of those characters, but at least one is nice.

The only thing that bugs me is that the game always uses her to explain stuff, while Atsuro is always the one that already knows. It's not a good way to deal with exposition in a game of you ask me.

Don't get the dislike for her voice acting, but I guess your mileage may vary. Midori's is way more annoying, even if it fits her character perfectly.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was a common complaint, but I actually liked how minimalist the story was in IV. Apocalypse was just too on the nose about the friendship above all all thing, as well as the allegiances being charactures of themselves (Law = bad, Chaos = bad, Neutral = da best). Like someone else said, the subtle nods to horror and cyberpunk were nice, and it left you to your own devices about how to view the world you were in.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yuzu is fine, I like her. I think we dislike her in the beginning precisely because she's the only one to act normally so she sticks out a lot.

Honestly I'm okay with her, the only thing I dislike of her is how she's unnecessarily mean to Atsuro at times and how comfortable she's talking about how sweaty she is all the time lo.

Her voice actress is okay too but too loud sometimed... Midori's is insufferable though.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I was browsing some SMT tunes and this one hit me like a truck. This is such a mesmerizing tune that hardly feels it's coming out of a SNES. Feels like the start of a cyberpunk movie.

Anyone knows who is the composer ? I think it's the last SMT released on SNES but the leap in audio quality is quite incredible.

EDIT : "Composer: Tsukasa Masuko, Hitoshi Sakimoto"

Hitoshi Sakimoto was in this ???? I really wish the soundtrack has proper crediting to know who did what. The few tracks I've heard shows such a stellar performance.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will try to finish SMTIV without caring where alignment I am at, because it's exhausting and I probably screwed myself at this point anyway. Also, I keep on getting these demons stuck on stock limbo, never getting fused because I probably overthink the spells I get. How come when I played Persona 3 and 4, it wasn't this hard to fuse?

Speaking of Persona, I started a bit of Innocent Sin on the PSP and the battle system is slow. I do like the recovering MP mechanic, though I bet that wasn't present on the PSX original, seems like it was added here to make things easier? Also I still don't know what pacts are and I'm tempted to just follow a guide for conversations with demons. Hmm.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I will try to finish SMTIV without caring where alignment I am at, because it's exhausting and I probably screwed myself at this point anyway. Also, I keep on getting these demons stuck on stock limbo, never getting fused because I probably overthink the spells I get. How come when I played Persona 3 and 4, it wasn't this hard to fuse?

Speaking of Persona, I started a bit of Innocent Sin on the PSP and the battle system is slow. I do like the recovering MP mechanic, though I bet that wasn't present on the PSX original, seems like it was added here to make things easier? Also I still don't know what pacts are and I'm tempted to just follow a guide for conversations with demons. Hmm.
For what it's worth, I actually think you can check your alignment in SMTIV on the map screen. Look at your character icon and see which direction it's turning. So if it's turning clockwise, you're law. Counter-clockwise for chaos (it might actually be the other way around >_>). And half a turn in each direction for neutral. (This might actually all be wrong because it's been a long time since I played SMTIV and my memory sucks. But I think this is how I got on the neutral path)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That doesn't work in SMTIV. The map icon only really changes after the route lock, so it's useless.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It was a common complaint, but I actually liked how minimalist the story was in IV.
[...]
Like someone else said, the subtle nods to horror and cyberpunk were nice, and it left you to your own devices about how to view the world you were in.
Agreed, I think IV does a great job of working around the cinematic limitations of the system it's on by paring things back. It's a very moody game that gives the player plenty of breathing space to consider the world and what's happening. I know people were a bit miffed to see mainline go handheld, but I hope they at least continue with spinoffs on handheld as it really works for me and is super engrossing.
Turn off battle animations. You'll probably get into an auto-battle rhythm too quite often.

If you make a demon eager, they'll give you cards of their arcana that you can use to fuse Personas in the Velvet Room. If you form a pact with a demon, next time you make them eager you'll get cards of their arcana, plus some bonus blank cards that you can change to any arcana via the painter in the Velvet Room (very useful as there are some arcana that I think are only available through this method). If you anger a demon you have a pact with, the pact will be canceled and you'll have to regain it again in another negotiation.

A guide would help a lot, but if you like the characters you should experiment a bit by trying different combinations. There's some interesting stuff in there where their responses and relationships will reflect where you're at in the story. A touch I quite appreciated was...(seriously, big spoiler for Innocent Sin!)...
...during the part of the game where the Maya in your party is actually Shadow Maya, aside from her behaviour being off during cutscenes, she also refuses to do any paired negotiations with anyone because she can't be bothered.

Oct 27, 2017
Earlier in the week I finished SMT4 having gone down the Chaos route and watching Mikado burn (take that Luxurors). I was trying for the Neutral route but was happy with the result I got. I didn't feel the game pushing me one way or another which is probably a good thing, but the flip side of that is that I didn't feel like the internal arguments themselves were compelling. Jonathan and Walter both capitulated to their respective sides rather quickly.

Overall, it was quite the experience. And having gone into the game after not finishing persona 5 due to some disappointments with the game, it was a pleasant surprise that this was one of the better JRPGs I've played in recent years. Enough to make me love the systems within and want to dive into more of the Megaten universe.

I made quite a few mistakes in the game simply not understanding some of the systems such as the optimal way to make character builds - my protag was heavy on strength, magic (for some elements to ensure good coverage to get press turn) and luck which in hindsight was far from optimal.

Also, I loathed navigation in the game though: I don't know Tokyo's layout so trying to find something when there's no easy way to determine locations combined with everything on the map being brown... much wasted time looking for the next destination. There were a handful of times I simply got stuck after not playing for a few days and coming back trying to find a place I had no recollection of its location.

I found the battle system to be very fun to use - I feel comfortable saying its my favourite turn based system I've used in a JRPG from the way it forces you to be mindful about your team composition, order, and setups. The fusion system gave me a headspin at times with all of the options before me and the knowledge that I was only seeing maybe 10% of the combinations I could perform was anxiety-inducing because I knew I wouldn't be going back to NG+ this game.

Having gone through the whole game, it certainly gives me a better perspective on how to approach future SMT games I play. It strikes me as a game that rewards a player for doing some research into the underlying systems so I plan to use a fusion calculator to help manage my collection when I begin Apocalypse.

So my plans next are to begin Apocalypse in a couple of weeks. I'll go back and complete Persona 5 as well having put it down after the 3rd palace. After that I am open to suggestions on what games to look out for. I'd like to play Nocturne but don't have the console for it so it might just be the 3DS games I look at.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Hello SMT OT. A few months back, I started playing SMT1 on the Super Famicom. It was enjoyable enough but a little bit confusing.
I now also own Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (the remakes of 1&2). Should I start playing MT1 now or go back to SMT first?
Please and thanks.
Also interested in picking up "If..." sometime, that seems cool as a predecessor to Persona!

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the Switch region free?

If the worst come to the worst, and there is a big delay between the US/EU release importing is always an option. That was big problem with SMT IV, a long pause for a game on literally the only handheld in existence with any region lock.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Earlier in the week I finished SMT4 having gone down the Chaos route and watching Mikado burn (take that Luxurors). I was trying for the Neutral route but was happy with the result I got. I didn't feel the game pushing me one way or another which is probably a good thing, but the flip side of that is that I didn't feel like the internal arguments themselves were compelling. Jonathan and Walter both capitulated to their respective sides rather quickly.

Overall, it was quite the experience. And having gone into the game after not finishing persona 5 due to some disappointments with the game, it was a pleasant surprise that this was one of the better JRPGs I've played in recent years. Enough to make me love the systems within and want to dive into more of the Megaten universe.

I made quite a few mistakes in the game simply not understanding some of the systems such as the optimal way to make character builds - my protag was heavy on strength, magic (for some elements to ensure good coverage to get press turn) and luck which in hindsight was far from optimal.

Also, I loathed navigation in the game though: I don't know Tokyo's layout so trying to find something when there's no easy way to determine locations combined with everything on the map being brown... much wasted time looking for the next destination. There were a handful of times I simply got stuck after not playing for a few days and coming back trying to find a place I had no recollection of its location.

I found the battle system to be very fun to use - I feel comfortable saying its my favourite turn based system I've used in a JRPG from the way it forces you to be mindful about your team composition, order, and setups. The fusion system gave me a headspin at times with all of the options before me and the knowledge that I was only seeing maybe 10% of the combinations I could perform was anxiety-inducing because I knew I wouldn't be going back to NG+ this game.

Having gone through the whole game, it certainly gives me a better perspective on how to approach future SMT games I play. It strikes me as a game that rewards a player for doing some research into the underlying systems so I plan to use a fusion calculator to help manage my collection when I begin Apocalypse.

So my plans next are to begin Apocalypse in a couple of weeks. I'll go back and complete Persona 5 as well having put it down after the 3rd palace. After that I am open to suggestions on what games to look out for. I'd like to play Nocturne but don't have the console for it so it might just be the 3DS games I look at.
I pretty much felt the same way about SMTIV. It's a flawed gem to be sure. Apocalypse is improved in many ways (the Tokyo map being much less of clusterfuck being one if them) but it also took a few steps back from IV too imo (mostly in the writing department). Both are great games that really compliment each other though. Let us know how you like Apocalypse when you start it!
So SMTV got confirmed to be coming to the west, neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TepXZN3Pw8o

Guess I need to start a "time to buy a switch" fund.
Cool to get official confirmation. Can't wait for more info!

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

If the worst come to the worst, and there is a big delay between the US/EU release importing is always an option. That was big problem with SMT IV, a long pause for a game on literally the only handheld in existence with any region lock.
Switch is indeed region free! Some games actually support multiple languages, and will play in whatever language you have your Switch set on.

I got the Japanese version of I Am Setsuna as a birthday gift, and the box, cart, and all are in Japanese, but pop the game in and it plays in English for me.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017

It is (I only learned this today and I'm chuffed about it) and I would import if I had to, but I would prefer not to have to. If we don't get a physical release I will though - it pains me not having got SMT4 physical and it pains me that I won't get Alliance Alive physical either (unless I want to buy those games twice, digitally and on physical import).

That's amazing about I Am Setsuna!

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I like the English logo.

I was browsing some SMT tunes and this one hit me like a truck. This is such a mesmerizing tune that hardly feels it's coming out of a SNES. Feels like the start of a cyberpunk movie.

Anyone knows who is the composer ? I think it's the last SMT released on SNES but the leap in audio quality is quite incredible.

EDIT : "Composer: Tsukasa Masuko, Hitoshi Sakimoto"

Hitoshi Sakimoto was in this ???? I really wish the soundtrack has proper crediting to know who did what. The few tracks I've heard shows such a stellar performance.

Yep, Hitoshi Sakimoto (of Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Dragon's Crown & Valkyria Chronicles fame) did the music arrangement for the SNES remakes of Megami Tensei 1 and 2. The SNES soundtrack is fantastic. Sakimoto is one of my favourite composers, I'd love to see him do another MegaTen OST in the future. Shinji Hosoe (999, Virtue's Last Reward, OG Ridge Racer composer) is a big fan of the series too (he used the nickname "Megaten" in some of game compositions back in the day) and is another game composer I'd be really interested to hear what he can do with some SMT music (especially if it's in the style of Zero Escape soundtracks, really chaotic nihilistic sounding, very atmospheric electronic music).

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I miss the japanese characters too, makes the logo look off...

And boy, Sakimoto? Suddenly the MT remakes became a priority on my list.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
The english logo is weird (probably placeholder), but it's great to hear news that soon about a localization :)

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be really interested to hear what he can do with some SMT music (especially if it's in the style of Zero Escape soundtracks, really chaotic nihilistic sounding, very atmospheric electronic music).

I didn't mind his Cathedral arrangement, but like most of the composers which contributed to that arrangement album, I'd imagine that they'd be able to bring a lot more to the series with original work.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished SMTIV. Got the Law ending? Good grief. What is this game. Level 81, had the -Ki special fusion demon, a demon that blocked physical and another that absorbed it. Easy final boss. Now I'm not sure I want to go through all that again for the Neutral route. Wait, New Life or Reincarnation?

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Man I'm so happy to hear about localisation for SMT V so soon, hoping this means there won't be a massive gap between the EU/USA release to the Japanese release.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished SMTIV. Got the Law ending? Good grief. What is this game. Level 81, had the -Ki special fusion demon, a demon that blocked physical and another that absorbed it. Easy final boss. Now I'm not sure I want to go through all that again for the Neutral route. Wait, New Life or Reincarnation?

Whichever one lets you start with everything you had at the end. That way you can just breeze through the game.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ultra bawl thanks for the Persona explanation!

Pascal tried it but I couldn't figure out how it works, thanks anyway!

Escalario reincarnation then? I can actually play Apocalypse too.

Also

Occult Flash + Enemy with repel physical

Dead Flynn

Anyway, I played a bit of Strange Journey yesterday and whoo, what a stark difference in difficulty.

Yeah go Reincarnation. It makes replays much more enjoyable. Imagine slogging through everything leading to Tokyo again :p

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_ozb7twAciO1wwwmjmo2_r1_1280.png

https://mediseller.tumblr.com/post/167411910739

Oliver James I think Hard mode is only available in New Life and the reasoning is that it'd be "cheating" if you were able to start a hard mode with all the advantages that carry over from your "easier" playthrough. Honestly I'd advice that you go straight to Apocalypse unless you REALLY want more IV, because the Neutral route is honestly not worth the hassle and you'll be revisiting a loooot of places from IV in Apocalypse.

I want to replay IV on hard myself one of these days because my biggest gripe with the game was how easy it was once you figured out how everything worked and had a decent build.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I neglected my SMT1 playthrough for about a month.

I really should finish it before I accidentally update my iOS to 11.

Just beat the four -kuten, am I already close to finishing the game ?

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Escalario I think Opa-Pa is right, there wouldn't be any sense in keeping your stuff and then going directly into hard as that would negate the change in difficulty. I guess I'll just replay it on New Life after the game's been somewhat not fresh anymore in my mind.