• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the airport and looking for a MegaTen game on Android. Is there anything other than Dx2? Dx2 is all right but I'm not sure if it works once we take off.

Laie

Jul 20, 2018
Been wanting to catch up the SMT games on 3DS, should I play Strange Journey Redux first or SMT4 first?

Maxwood

Oct 30, 2017
I'm currently playing SMT IV and having a blast. Almost near the end, I guess.
Pretty obvious i'm on the Law path. (aka i've made a huge mistake)

I do think it's a little too easy after Naraku, though. Most bosses are a joke.
That is, until I encountered Beelzebub and Mastema.

I'll stop complaining now.

I've missed that kind of challenge for nearly sixty hours.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Looks like I've found home.

I'm going through Redux and I'm loving every single part of it. Just completed the Fourth sphere. Ourouboros is the hardest boss I have fought so far, and it's clear the game mechanics need to be really utilized for me to win in that fight.

Trying a Luster candy/debilitate/Agidyne/Co-op approach x3.

Overall, This remake is exactly what I wanted. I think when I'm done with it, Strange Journey will be my number SMT, and I didn't expect it (but I should have). I love this entry.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That's me but with the original. Strange Journey is also my favorite game on the DS.

It's funny. I actually was enjoying the original. I had reached Sector Bootes, and I thought, "Atlus has a really great track record of remaking their titles, I should hold off on this for the remake."

So I shelved it, and two years later the remake came out in Japan. I called it. Was a long wait but it was worth it.

ALSO, I'm currently at the boss for Sector Eridanus, and I need help with alignment shifting.

I don't know when it happened, might have been when I faced Ishtar, but I went from neutral to Law.

Can I get some tips on what choices I should be making if I want to shift back to Neutral? I did the EX Mission for Kudlak and it wasn't enough.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ALSO, I'm currently at the boss for Sector Eridanus, and I need help with alignment shifting.

I don't know when it happened, might have been when I faced Ishtar, but I went from neutral to Law.

Can I get some tips on what choices I should be making if I want to shift back to Neutral? I did the EX Mission for Kudlak and it wasn't enough.

If you do the Fairy EX Missions in Sector Antila then you can easily shift the alignment via the Goblin in the fairy village. Other than that just choose the chaos answers in alignment shifting questions until you're back on neutral.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If you do the Fairy EX Missions in Sector Antila then you can easily shift the alignment via the Goblin in the fairy village. Other than that just choose the chaos answers in alignment shifting questions until you're back on neutral.

So fuse Goblin, pass him to the High Pixie, and do that Goblin's quest(s)? Thanks Capo.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I've been listening to the soundtrack of Persona 1 and Majin Tensei 2 and it's just so incredible how much of a talented composer Hidehito Aoki was. Died way too young...

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For people worried that Redux removes to much of the challenge form Strange Journey, try doing the Offerings from Louisa Ferre mission in NG+. I was playing on Expert for the entire game, didn't have too many problems getting past Demiurge, but the four enemies in this mission completely wiped me out. I dropped to Casual and still can't beat Beelzebub - as far as I can tell if you hit him with any magic skills he slaps you with an almighty skill which does 2,500 damage. I got him down to the red and he cast diarhan and hit me with that skill next turn anyway.

:(

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I put down Vanilla SJ thanks to the remake coming, but Redux is definitely challenging. It makes one work for the win.

I had to fuse for a three party set of chaos demons for co-op, one with luster candy, one with debilitate, and two with Agidyne to have a chance at beating Oroboros.

There are sub-apps that can make the game easier, but they can be switched off, and used when you want to.

Maxwood

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played a whole lot of games in this series yet but with each title I devour Megami Tensei is slowly becoming one of, if not my favorite franchise.
If you have a high interest in Mythology this series is just heavenly.
These games are large, but they consume even more time when most "demons" you encounter make you want to switch into research mode.
SMT IV made me realise I should really expand my knowledge of Celtic mythology.

Speaking of which: I finished Shin Megami Tensei IV's Law path.

si_3dsds_shinmegamite03c4w.jpg

The amount of high-quality worldbuilding surprised me.
Especially the
different dimensions Flynn visited
which happened right around the time I felt my interest slowly sliding away.
Needless to say, I once again became fully engrossed.

Flynn's "friends" felt quite hollow, though. Voices for the extremes of each path one could follow.
Which isn't bad in itself, I just wished they had more interesting things to say.

Exiting Naraku for the first time is something I won't easily forget.
It's a bit weird the rest of the game never becomes as challenging as it's first dungeon.
Even most bosses don't pose much of a threat, with a couple of exceptions. Most of them optional.

Hell of a ride.
Too bad it ended in genocide.
And because a 96 hour RPG wasn't enough, I started playing Apocalypse the very next day.

It's...different.

It feels more like Persona x Supernatural then a follow up to SMT IV when it comes to atmosphere and storytelling.
And I really don't like Napaea's new look.
The gameplay is nice, though. There are a lot of improvements, changes and cool new things added and exploration is already a lot more fun.

I'm having fun. But it's a strange experience playing this directly after finishing IV.

Just defeated King Frost, hee-ho!
kingfrostsmt2hwe83.jpg

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I haven't played a whole lot of games in this series yet but with each title I devour Megami Tensei is slowly becoming one of, if not my favorite franchise.
If you have a high interest in Mythology this series is just heavenly.
These games are large, but they consume even more time when most "demons" you encounter make you want to switch into research mode.
SMT IV made me realise I should really expand my knowledge of Celtic mythology.

Speaking of which: I finished Shin Megami Tensei IV's Law path.

si_3dsds_shinmegamite03c4w.jpg

The amount of high-quality worldbuilding surprised me.
Especially the
different dimensions Flynn visited
which happened right around the time I felt my interest slowly sliding away.
Needless to say, I once again became fully engrossed.

Flynn's "friends" felt quite hollow, though. Voices for the extremes of each path one could follow.
Which isn't bad in itself, I just wished they had more interesting things to say.

Exiting Naraku for the first time is something I won't easily forget.
It's a bit weird the rest of the game never becomes as challenging as it's first dungeon.
Even most bosses don't pose much of a threat, with a couple of exceptions. Most of them optional.

Hell of a ride.
Too bad it ended in genocide.
And because a 96 hour RPG wasn't enough, I started playing Apocalypse the very next day.

It's...different.

It feels more like Persona x Supernatural then a follow up to SMT IV when it comes to atmosphere and storytelling.
And I really don't like Napaea's new look.
The gameplay is nice, though. There are a lot of improvements, changes and cool new things added and exploration is already a lot more fun.

I'm having fun. But it's a strange experience playing this directly after finishing IV.

Just defeated King Frost, hee-ho!
kingfrostsmt2hwe83.jpg
I LOVE the fight with him in Soul Hackers.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I've been itching to replay Soul Hackers but I always have so much on my plate and so little time.

Also, fuck Apocalypse.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I've been itching to replay Soul Hackers but I always have so much on my plate and so little time.

Also, fuck Apocalypse.

I love Apocalypse. It improves on mechanics introduced in IV, and while it grounds itself in a more anime aesthetic, it also has a solid story. The soundtrack is off the charts, as is the tuned gameplay, battle system, and memorable cast.

It took me a playthrough of Apoc to notice how much more fleshed out the characters were there than they were in og IV ( I still like Isabeau, Walt, and Johnathan, though).

It also has my favorite final battle thus far in an SMT.

Been wanting to go back to SH myself.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Apocalypse had some awesome moments, and incredible new music. Still a keeper in my book.

I love Apocalypse. It improves on mechanics introduced in IV, and while it grounds itself in a more anime aesthetic, it also has a solid story. The soundtrack is off the charts, as is the tuned gameplay, battle system, and memorable cast.

It took me a playthrough of Apoc to notice how much more fleshed out the characters were there than they were in og IV ( I still like Isabeau, Walt, and Johnathan, though).

It also has my favorite final battle thus far in an SMT.

Been wanting to go back to SH myself.

I just can't get over how terrible the writing is. I expect more from SMT. It's just so damn bad.
How anyone could think that this cast is memorable is beyond me. Jesus Christ.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
what gets me in apoc is that they felt forced to make everyone have lines ? Like, something happens and everyone and their grandmothers needs to interject.

A SMT Script should have twice as less lines as Apoc as a general guideline. There is nothing to be said through text that can't be told visually in an SMT, if I wanted the power of friendship I'd play tales of

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Like, something happens and everyone and their grandmothers needs to interject.
People got to emote, demonstrates strong personality. Best characterization tool. /s

Bloated reaction scenes designed to just get as much character flavor text in as possible, that also fail to be conversations at all many times, are one of the most annoying things about modern JRPG (to me).

IDK. I can get the appeal of fluff character content; if you are into the character just seeing them talk can be fun but modern JRPG has a tendency to lean into that way too hard imo and it is really annoying when every event is reduced to just an opportunity for more of this, often getting in the way of there being any actual weight to the situations or any depth, nuance, etc. e.g. Persona 5 "palace is collapsing scenes" are just a farce to see people run in place and make some endearing noises.

I think a lot of games could step back the dialogue quite a bit.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It'd have been a much better story if it had been written with the idea of the player possibly siding with one of the demon factions, rather than making all three cartoonishly stupid. Breaking away from their usual law/chaos dichotomy just made them put even less effort into the factions.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It'd have been a much better story if it had been written with the idea of the player possibly siding with one of the demon factions, rather than making all three cartoonishly stupid. Breaking away from their usual law/chaos dichotomy just made them put even less effort into the factions.

Yeah, it sorely needed a Polytheistic Alliance option rather than being 'Friendship' or 'Massacre'. Something in between.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
SMT4A's writing and characters honestly comes off as fan fiction tier but it has its charm. Gaston's development was awesome for example. All the new demon designs were awesome except for one that's very very bad.

The gameplay and pacing is what makes Apocalypse great, it's honestly the best in the series.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Apocalypse's story was fine for what it was (despite some super egregious elements). It's just not what I look for in these games let alone what I want the series to become.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SMT never needed Persona elements like what is shown in Apocalypse. Let each series have their own identity (although it seems Atlus has trouble with that lately).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

Didn't think it was worth a thread, but feel free to make one if you want. Pretty sure there'll be one made if it appears on gematsu or whatever anyway.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'd be annoyed if I finally started my copy of Nocturne on a purchased used Ps2 only for a port to be announced.

Which I've been meaning to do lately.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
That would be fine but given their track record I'd rather have a port rather than them shoving a waifu or adding stuff that kills the difficulty.

A New Girl is happening, it's non-negotiable. Although Nocturne technically has already had its expansion, so I wonder if that changes things.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
OK, so I finally booted up SH again.
Last time I played it I beat the game and the corridor of time optional dungeon.
So now I decided to tackle the extra dungeon that appears in the main menu after beating the game. Am I understanding this wrong or is it actually impossible to save and a game over means starting over, including beating all the bosses again?

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Depends on which extra dungeon... some of them have the bosses separated, some are boss rushes.

The one with Sid Davis/Shiva/etc has them separated, the one with Raidou/Raido is a boss rush.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on which extra dungeon... some of them have the bosses separated, some are boss rushes.

The one with Sid Davis/Shiva/etc has them separated, the one with Raidou/Raido is a boss rush.

It's the one with Raidou, I already did the other.
It's not really boss rush, each boss has a dungeon with a puzzle preceding it.

I just did the P-dungeon, actually beat the boss on my first attempt, haven't played this game in ages so I guess I was lucky.
The thought of doing another 5 without the ability to save is giving me pause.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It's the one with Raidou, I already did the other.
It's not really boss rush, each boss has a dungeon with a puzzle preceding it.

I just did the P-dungeon, actually beat the boss on my first attempt, haven't played this game in ages so I guess I was lucky.
The thought of doing another 5 without the ability to save is giving me pause.
You have to fight Raidou/Raido/Soulless God back to back to back.