• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cursed hallway....I was at the end door and then hit an encounter with an Abaddon, Nyx, and Flauros, tried to fight it, then got wiped in a couple of turns with a critical from Abaddon. I should have run when I had the chance. I got in the battle at full HP.

I did the 1st and 2nd Kalpas back-to-back and used the Pisaca from the shady broker to Trafuri my way through every fight (I swear half the sentences written about this game read like madlibs from a madman). Anyway, only went south when I got ambushed. Fighting in there seems like a bad time.

Majinkezz

Oct 29, 2017
Only played this when i was younger and don't remember much.

Can someone give a spoiler free breakdown to how to achieve different endings? (Scared of googling). Is it literally the ending/last part of the game thats different? Is there a whats considered canon route?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions just don't wanna play through again!

edit - checked the OP for endings but still would like to know if much changes throughout the playthrough

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
edit - checked the OP for endings but still would like to know if much changes throughout the playthrough

Not at much, it change how many bosses (and who) you face at the final part of the game, but the final boss is the same, unless you follow the True Demon Ending, which add an aditional boss after that final boss.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you! So should i be aiming for true demon ending?

Well, only if you want more bosses, sure. When I played the game a decade ago I refused every Reason and very likely I was following the Neutral/Teacher ending, but finishing the Labyrinth of Amala locked me at the TDE. You can follow every other Reason and still be locked at the TDE if you finish the Labyrinth.

OP
OP
Inquisitive_Ghost

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
There isn't a true "canon" ending; if anything, those are usually the Neutral ones whenever Atlus makes some kind of follow-up that forces them to choose one.

The TDE is just the fan favourite and has the most story material, though that's mostly all the stuff in the Labyrinth, which can still be done on any other ending so long as you don't go right down to the very end of the Labyrinth to lock in the TDE.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna get through that Cursed Hallway before I do the Nihilo Obelisk.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

You definitely should, it's the "real ending" (people will say it isn't and it depends on your choices, but they're wrong). It goes further than the other endings, adding more content, and unveils and resolves the main plot of the game.

Also it's really awesome.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Mother Harlot down

Not too bad, just longer than normal because my party mostly exists to buff the Demi-Fiend for Focus Divine Shots. Thankfully had some *dyne casters for ok damage.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Yooooooo I thought Dante was hard but man, Raidou wiped me out in three rounds in my first encounter wtf... I do love his entrance!

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I really, really wish you could just highlight any skills on a demon's compendium or fusion page while in the cathedral, so I can read what they do. Some of the UI oversights/decisions in this game feel sooo outdated and obnoxious lol. None of it is a deal breaker but it's silly that so much of this game still feels inconvenient as opposed to challenging, and none of that stuff was addressed for this remaster.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My copy arrived 🙏 I will try play this night until fight Matador, or I hope so.

Edit:

This is great 🙃🙃

Last edited:

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
Music during the Raidou fight intro and battle is so good! Battle took me over 5 tries though and i only got through because my Oni hit a 1249 critical..

Ladomania

Banned
Nov 8, 2020
It's really fun to bop the fiends. So far the only one that I've had a bit of trouble with was red rider. The rest just got debuffed to hell and went down easy.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot the nickname was what showed up in menus. Kind of want to restart and just use first name for his nickname.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This includes info from a special interview with Yamai.

Thanks for posting it.

Off topic: are you excited for NEO TWEWY?

I am so afraid, TWEWY is my favorite DS game and I am afraid for this one. It seems to have the same style and "spirit", but I don't know if it will actually be good!

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up my physical copy and started a hard mode run. I keep dying to the second enemy encounter. It gets a critical hit feral claw and gets a second attack that reduces my HP from full to 0.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting it.

Off topic: are you excited for NEO TWEWY?

I am so afraid, TWEWY is my favorite DS game and I am afraid for this one. It seems to have the same style and "spirit", but I don't know if it will actually be good!
Hell yes, been waiting 14 years. I would like to hear more about combat, but based on videos seen so far and their description, it sounds like it will have some complexity involving controlling multiple characters at once.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Picked up my physical copy and started a hard mode run. I keep dying to the second enemy encounter. It gets a critical hit feral claw and gets a second attack that reduces my HP from full to 0.

Try use the medical items you get earlier in the room. I'm pretty sure the fight is that way in hard difficulty to teach you use those items.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I was mixed on the early hours of the game since I had a bunch of minor issues with the port but I'm enjoying it way more that I'm in Ikebukuro. It was somewhere in the tunnels prior where I just got used to some of them and got into the game more, besides that vague bill fetch quest that felt more frustrating than anything when progressing the story was fairly obvious prior to that.

I thought I would find the game more jarring on the QoL front since I just finished Apocalypse the other month but it hasn't been too bad. Wish the fusion menu was better and there were at least auto saves but I can get used to those.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

Yea, the tutorial area on hard can be kinda bullshit RNG lol. You'll have more control over things after the first 3 fights.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Having not played this since like 2007/2008, it's amazing just how much of the game I've totally forgotten. I pretty vividly remember the hospital, Ginza, and Ikebukuro, some of the Mantra HQ and some extremely brief glimpses of remembrance for the Nihilo Obelisk and the Ikebukuro Tunnels, but have completely 100% fucking forgot about the Prison and Asakusa. Those locations may as well be completely new content as far as I'm concerned. I also
have no recollection whatsoever of meeting Gozu-Tennoh, and the cut-scene of his death was legitimately chilling. It's bizarre I don't remember that happening at all.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Try use the medical items you get earlier in the room. I'm pretty sure the fight is that way in hard difficulty to teach you use those items.

I was going from full health to dead in two back to back hits, so healing items did nothing. I got past that point once the RNG finally stopped giving the Preta critical hits.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah might as well ask, does Hard Mode increase enemy Critical chance? Is there a comprehensive list?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah might as well ask, does Hard Mode increase enemy Critical chance? Is there a comprehensive list?

Found this on the wiki:

Hard Mode Differences:

• Damage received from enemies is doubled (x2).
  • Enemies target the party's weaknesses more often.
  • Escaping from battle is nearly impossible, even with the Fast Retreat skill.
  • Ambush/Back Attack rates are much higher.
  • Damage from floor traps and Poison are tripled (x3).
  • Item prices in the Junk Shops are tripled (x3).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found this on the wiki:

Hard Mode Differences:

• Damage received from enemies is doubled (x2).
  • Enemies target the party's weaknesses more often.
  • Escaping from battle is nearly impossible, even with the Fast Retreat skill.
  • Ambush/Back Attack rates are much higher.
  • Damage from floor traps and Poison are tripled (x3).
  • Item prices in the Junk Shops are tripled (x3).

Thanks. When I get to Nocturne I'll dabble in Hard and if it doesn't work in the early game I'll drop to Easy.

Nocturne gets real easy real quick starting mid-game and if you're going TDE nothing can really touch you, so I really gotta give Hard Mode a whirl.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally managed to get through the
Cursed Corridor
on the 2nd Kalpa after my 3rd attempt. Forgot how much of a pain in the ass it could be

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I might make a separate thread on this topic because I think it's worth discussing, but it's interesting how this is a "best of a not-ideal situation" remaster. In the Yamai interview, he mentioned how this remaster was a challenge because of particles used on the PS2 version that are really difficult to use outside of PS2 hardware. It's why places like Matador's entrance struggle with frame rate so badly. This is probably also why the PS3 PSN versions of Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga have issues. Hell in one particular cutscene in DDS2 I felt like the game was about to implode lol.

A user here in Era that's in the know about these things also said that Persona 3 is a mess from an archival standpoint. A port had been tried and failed multiple times, and a Persona 3 remake would be more likely. Given that, I would likely expect Nocturne is in a similar boat, resulting in this remaster. I have noticed this remaster seems better than the PS3 PSN version overall performance-wise.

Yamai also mentioned in the interview about wanting the game to be faithful to the original, but have some QoL things, but still wanted to have people new to the game experience it how people that played the original played it. I think this was a good approach and I think a full-on remake would definitely lose a lot of the game's visual style and charm. On top of that, the original still looks good with it's fairly simple textures and environments, with details really popping out. This definitely shines through in this remaster.

I am glad that this thing was a hell of a lot better than Silent Hill HD collection or something like that lol. I am curious what it is about the PS2 that makes porting things from it so hard though. Atlus games I know have not been the only victims of this.

Dec 16, 2017
Just beat Thor. Really digging this game so far. Only played SMT 4, Persona 5 and Tokyo mirage sessions so far.

I don't get the Matador memes. He was fairly easy (2nd try). Is he the biggest challenge in the game, similar to Minotaur in SMT 4?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just beat Thor. Really digging this game so far. Only played SMT 4, Persona 5 and Tokyo mirage sessions so far.

I don't get the Matador memes. He was fairly easy (2nd try). Is he the biggest challenge in the game, similar to Minotaur in SMT 4?
He is a big difficulty jump if you aren't used to how SMT combat works (boosts matter).

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just lost an hour of progress because matador wiped my party, and I forgot to save. I wasn't expected that kind of boss fight out of nowhere lol.

i now understand the memes

Dec 16, 2017
He is a big difficulty jump if you aren't used to how SMT combat works (boosts matter).
That is a good comparison. Matador was a test if you understood the battle system of Nocturne.

I see it as the "Don't forget you're not playing Pokemon" enemy. I really like it. Minotaur made me almost put the game away until I realized that I need to change my team of demons and also to use buffs (which is rarity for any jrpg).

Edit: I died the first time, too. Luckily, I had saved haha. So I only lost 10-15 mins of progress.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright; I am completely stuck...

I just finished the Nihilo (?) base and they destroyed the Mantra leader. I left the headquarters and spoke with Chiaki who now has a new resolve on how to rebuild the world base on strength. After that I have no idea what to do...

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Alright; I am completely stuck...

I just finished the Nihilo (?) base and they destroyed the Mantra leader. I left the headquarters and spoke with Chiaki who now has a new resolve on how to rebuild the world base on strength. After that I have no idea what to do...
After you see Chiaki you're supposed to visit Gozu Tennoh and Isamu and then you can leave via the exit on the right of the first floor.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After you see Chiaki you're supposed to visit Gozu Tennoh and Isamu and then you can leave via the exit on the right of the first floor.
I had done that already. I saw the scene where it fell apart. I can no longer go in the room. That one door on the first floor to a tower (?) is still blocked by two demons who say they are too drained to guard the door but I still can't go in.

Edit: I think I solved it. I had to run into Isamu in the basement for the next story destination.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I had done that already. I saw the scene where it fell apart. I can no longer go in the room. That one door on the first floor to a tower (?) is still blocked by two demons who say they are too drained to guard the door but I still can't go in.
Did you see Isamu in the basement prison of the base? Him leaving is supposed to be what causes the guards to bail.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Nocturne is one of my favorite games, and I'm planning to buy it again soon when I get tired of playing WoW again. How does the game run/control on PC? My PS4 is mostly retired since I got a Series S and my wife has a death grip on the Switch playing Story of Seasons.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Nocturne is one of my favorite games, and I'm planning to buy it again soon when I get tired of playing WoW again. How does the game run/control on PC? My PS4 is mostly retired since I got a Series S and my wife has a death grip on the Switch playing Story of Seasons.

Locked 30fps but it chugs a bit when there's War Cry spam.