• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The original music is very compressed for some reason. Some people like the resulting grungier sound and echo-y computer voice vocals and think it goes with the feel of the game though. The remaster doesn't use the OST versions, keeping the original audio.

A bunch of cutscene only tracks aren't on any released OST though, and the battle themes loop in multiple different ways in-game. So maybe they didn't have the original source for the music, and/or didn't want to do the work of reprogramming/rewriting a bunch of tracks.

yeah they need to fix this.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
So now all we need now is reasonable music quality and the game will almost be up to the standard people expected at launch.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Skill inheritance selecting is the main thing I was shocked that they didn't include in the remaster, so I'm glad that they're changing that. Are the load times fixed too?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing stopping you guys from selecting bad skills if that makes your experience better. I'll take the time saver thank you very much.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
Just played it a bit and I don't feel like the input lag is any different. Is the update not out yet?

Oct 25, 2017
Glad this is being added, the randomness was painfully annoying and antiquated.

Its been a while since I played other recent SMT or Persona games, but as I'm replaying P4G now and noticed the MP and HP costs aren't listed in inheritance like they are here, have the other recent games done this?

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
People saying this will hurt balance is trying too hard lol

We always got the skills we wanted anyway. It's just that we wasted 10-200 seconds to do it. All this update does is saving time.

Also, lol at the people saying the lag issues couldn't be solved because it was an Unity thing.

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
Great change, wasting time reloading a save just to try again to get a skill you want was never fun. I think I could live with the compressed soundtrack, but not with the stutters and the poor loading times. Any news about those?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I think it would be cool to implement something like:
  • Traditional Fusion: Classic random skill inheritance. Skills acquired this way are likely to have rare mutations and have slight boosts to base values compared to Smart Fusion skill inheritance.
  • Smart Fusion: Choose skill inheritance, no boosts or rarity.
It would introduce some interesting decision making imo.

That's an amazing idea. At the end of the day the masochist in me will beat it twice just to see the difference, but damn they should do this.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Finding out they were keeping it the old way was all it took to un-sell me on this game, so this is nice to hear.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The original music is very compressed for some reason. Some people like the resulting grungier sound and echo-y computer voice vocals and think it goes with the feel of the game though. The remaster doesn't use the OST versions, keeping the original audio.

A bunch of cutscene only tracks aren't on any released OST though, and the battle themes loop in multiple different ways in-game. So maybe they didn't have the original source for the music, and/or didn't want to do the work of reprogramming/rewriting a bunch of tracks.

I didn't think the music could be that bad but this is worse than I thought it would be.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
That's so awesome that they listened. I'm not a huge SMT person, and this was my first time playing 3. I wasn't heartbroken that the features weren't in before, but I did find it a bit disappointing. Time to start the game back up! I'm really enjoying it so far.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
That's so awesome that they listened. I'm not a huge SMT person, and this was my first time playing 3. I wasn't heartbroken that the features weren't in before, but I did find it a bit disappointing. Time to start the game back up! I'm really enjoying it so far.
It was always a really cool game with a very strong unity between the gameplay mechanics along with things like aesthetics and music. This is a very welcome QoL change that will only serve to make it more accessible and remove some needless frustration.

I think you'll really dig it as you get further in. I prefer the newer games thanks to the newer fusion features, but honestly this update might make this my favorite entry and perhaps turn it into my favorite single player RPG.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
So, if they fix the ost then we're good to go right? Is there any other issue?
If it really comes to pc, i'm certain that modders will fix the ost in no time.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
It was always a really cool game with a very strong unity between the gameplay mechanics along with things like aesthetics and music. This is a very welcome QoL change that will only serve to make it more accessible and remove some needless frustration.

I think you'll really dig it as you get further in. I prefer the newer games thanks to the newer fusion features, but honestly this update might make this my favorite entry and perhaps turn it into my favorite single player RPG.
I gotta get back into it. I'm super slow playing JRPGs, but it's aesthetically super pleasing and I love exploring the world. The characters are more interesting than I was expecting, too. What a great intro, too. I was totally sucked in.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017

The original music feels like you are standing outside of the doors where the gig is happening.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
So, if they fix the ost then we're good to go right? Is there any other issue?
If it really comes to pc, i'm certain that modders will fix the ost in no time.
I'm not sure how possible this is. There's a bunch of cutscene music that was never released on any CD, and there are some tricks with the audio that are programmed in. The most obvious being that the normal battle theme has seven different variants for the part at the end before it loops back to the beginning (I don't remember if/what others are but I don't think it's straightforward).

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Ok, that's what this remaster needed so I'm pretty happy. If it's the same as the SMTIV's skill inheritance then it's perfect. Now they only need to fix the compressed audio and we get the remaster that we deserve.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
This really should've been in the game from the beginning...
anyway, this made my decision from not buying it to will buy it.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome. Saves the time of getting the same result... just wasting your time by backing in and out of fusions for god knows how long.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
That's awesome. A big part of why I loved SMT IV so much is because of how much control you had over demon fusion, and I was pretty obsessed with building my favorite demons up. Nocturne not having that was a huge turn-off when I first played it. I might actually give this remaster a go now.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I can't help but feel like this may backfire. I like to consider the MegaTen series the original Souls games, since they were known for their inaccessibility and brutal difficulty. Adding QoL kind of takes away the entire point of that. It's the same reason why FFXI diehards turn their noses up at FFXIV.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome. A big part of why I loved SMT IV so much is because of how much control you had over demon fusion, and I was pretty obsessed with building my favorite demons up. Nocturne not having that was a huge turn-off when I first played it. I might actually give this remaster a go now.
Part of what made SMT4 so easy though was that there really weren't any limits on fusion, so the game pretty much lost all semblance of difficulty early in. SMT4A addressed this in a really good way by giving different demons different affinities and limiting MP, so you would have to take more care in creating more specialized demons instead of just putting all the best skills on a few.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
The update also added a randomizer option called 'skill shuffle', the game assigns a random skill to each empty slot for you.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Excellent. I didn't really "mind" the cancel/randomize of the original, but this at least saves me hours of trying to min/max

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Part of what made SMT4 so easy though was that there really weren't any limits on fusion, so the game pretty much lost all semblance of difficulty early in. SMT4A addressed this in a really good way by giving different demons different affinities and limiting MP, so you would have to take more care in creating more specialized demons instead of just putting all the best skills on a few.
I don't think it really made that big of a difference, honestly, affinity was cool, but fairly minor, IMO. I'm hoping they expand on that in SMTV.

As people have said, the change here doesn't change anything you couldn't do already with a bit of time and luck, so I'm all for it.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it really made that big of a difference, honestly, affinity was cool, but fairly minor, IMO. I'm hoping they expand on that in SMTV.

As people have said, the change here doesn't change anything you couldn't do already with a bit of time and luck, so I'm all for it.

A bit is an understatement or I had the worst luck

I tried once to get every skill I wanted on a demon and it took me three hours. I couldn't imagine spending the time repeating that for every demon going forward so I just settled for two or three skills.

People in this thread are talking like they spent 15 minutes or less to set up a demon with top tier skills

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019

I tried once to get every skill I wanted on a demon and it took me three hours. I couldn't imagine spending the time repeating that for every demon going forward so I just settled for two or three skills.

People in this thread are talking like they spent 15 minutes or less to set up a demon with top tier skills
Oh for sure, and the end result is that a lot of people will find the game easier on the whole since most people wouldn't spend that amount of time on it. But, IMO, it's still just getting rid of a huge time tax instead of changing something that couldn't be done at all previously, so I'm all for it. After playing SMT4 it'd be really hard for me to go back to.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Lol 3 hours? I would spend at most like 5 minutes and get generally everything I want. There may have been a skill or two I'd like changed, but they were usually of low enough priority to where I didn't really care and they weren't really necessary/changed basically nothing.

It's hard for me to see this changing anything about game balance besides just spending less time on the fusion screen. Maybe people saying it would also spent 3 hours on one fusion tho.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but feel like this may backfire. I like to consider the MegaTen series the original Souls games, since they were known for their inaccessibility and brutal difficulty. Adding QoL kind of takes away the entire point of that. It's the same reason why FFXI diehards turn their noses up at FFXIV.
All modern day MegaTen games have this option when fusing, so... it won't make a difference.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah this is just an original oversight that is being corrected. You can prefer the random inheritance, but it's not what made Nocturne and the older games difficult.

There's no intrinsic charm to the series DNA that's tied to random skills lol

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Did they ever interview Shoji Meguro (the lead composer) about the music in this release? Seems like he's gone into hiding! Where's the original music files kept, Shoji? Was it kept on his Windows XP PC that got upgraded and lost it all, or something?

Oct 26, 2017

lmao that disappearing hihat on the original battle street what the hell

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

I seem to recall someone digging up an interview with Shoji Meguro, the lead composer, saying that they had to cut the sample rate to fit in the PS2's memory.
I do agree that, in some ways, it's part of the game's aesthetic now.

The thing is that you can't just drop in tracks straight from the OST; music on the PS2 didn't work like that. It's dynamic/sequenced, so you need every part of the tracks which were recorded individually; not a completed song.

There were some demons that couldn't inherit specific skills (like a demon without a mouth cannot inherit a breath skill), but in general yes. Although the low odds of specific combos meant you sometimes had to settle for a "good enough" build.
I would hope that those restrictions are still in place.

But really though, hearing the music side by side is jarring. Not sure how bad it'll feel actually in the game.

Last edited: