• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
It wasn't overblown. There's just absolutely 0 source of him saying that he dislikes them/their games. It's literally an internet legend.
Probably originates from the "Rare sucks" Nintendo fandom era, when they got bought by Microsoft.

No I recall Steven L. Kent saying he interviewed someone from Rare and Miyamoto in the same room. I'll try to dig it up. Think it was G4 Icons.

EDIT: FUCKING FOUND IT! First hand account from kent. Timestamp 13:57! Bless my useless memory!

Also, the story Chris Kohler once said about Miyamoto walking over during a New Super Mario Bros Wii demo and killing his character and walking away after he asked Miyamoto about his family life (a big no-no) lead me to think dude can be pretty petty. That I can't find a link to though. Think it was a 1-UP era podcast.

Last edited:

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
XIwvpBy.jpg

fa3ijPW.jpg

Love him. Love him being vaguely shady.
In that Sonic interview though, he does say that Sonic has a strong chara design, that it's by far the best "Mario clone", and that it's a very different character and game from Mario, that the energy of the character really makes him unique :p

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the attitude I take in regards to other posts on this forum. If it's not from me, I'm not interested.

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
In that Sonic interview though, he does say that Sonic has a strong chara design, that it's by far the best "Mario clone", and that it's a very different character and game from Mario, that the energy of the character really makes him unique :p

Please don't ruin the beautiful misconception i have of him. Secretly the Anna Wintour of video games.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
No I recall Steven L. Kent saying he interviewed someone from Rare and Miyamoto in the same room. I'll try to dig it up. Think it was G4 Icons.

EDIT: FUCKING FOUND IT! First hand account from kent. Timestamp 13:57! Bless my useless memory!

Well at least I finally found a source for that quote of Miyamoto.
Still seems reaaaally hard to believe. Dude worked on the game, he oversaw it.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Makes sense. Miyamoto has always pushed for games that genuinely bring him joy when he plays. They usually tend to get let you start playing pretty fast, he probably doesn't like sitting and watching cutscenes for hours before the developers decide to let you try the game.

Most games just aren't like that. Does someone actually get genuine joy from playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey beyond just the dopamine hits that come from completing mindane checklists?

He should play Doom 2016.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be another one in the chorus of "if Kojima said this people here would be frothing at the mouth"

I think it's fine and even a bit funny that Miyamoto feels this way.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised. This insular kind of attitude explains a lot of the shit design decisions he has made over the last decade or so.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Kyle bosman once compared Miyamoto to George Lucas and I don't think there could be a more apt comparison.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Dude is 67 years old. I would be shocked if he still gives two shits about videogames other than what's required of him to do his job.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I need a confirmation if Shiggy has played Doom 2016 and can still say that

flak57

Oct 27, 2017
Lol savage as fuck... it's fucking miyamoto , you can count the people on his level on one hand. He can judge away.

also, Kojima is a hack...

Not like the Stamper brothers aren't gaming industry legends. They really did live the humble, not taking credit for anything though. Not just PR quotes, but completely reclusive.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm off base, but the actual quote and the thread title seem to not be equivalent.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
He needs to play Uncharted 4, that seems right up his alley.
I don't think he'll enjoy Uncharted 4.

also, you missed the most important part:
In fact, he doesn't want to be revered too much because he wants to be treated as a normal person in his household and neighbourhood. He wants people to focus on the games that he had made rather than himself. But Miyamoto is really enjoying his job because at his current age, he now thinks "If I'm not having fun, I'd be at a loss". Anyone would be angry if a game they created gets criticized harshly by someone, but Miyamoto is making it more enjoyable by turning that criticism into energy for him to think how to overcome those critics.
He doesn't think of himself as this sort of master auteur. Rather as a normal guy who tries to work out the dynamics of the game in order to make them more enjoyable.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people bringing up Kojima? Of course the context of a quote would be interpreted differently based on who says it and what it implies.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Lol kinda wish the TC wrote Kojima in the title as bait only to correct it later to see what the posts would be like initially.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
My favorite part of this interview series is that he got into Pokémon Go cause his wife went "hey you are going to universal for the theme park right? Ok take my Pokémon Go account and catch me a heracross while you're there. It's region exclusive."

*to expand on how he thinks of himself. If y'all click the link and read all the interviews you can find his thoughts on the creation process and how he agrees with Shigesato Itoi in that people are editors not creators.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Didn't he (and Aonuma) really enjoy Crypt of the Necrodancer and that's why Cadence of Hyrule happened? I remember something like that...

May 13, 2019

Also, the story Chris Kohler once said about Miyamoto walking over during a New Super Mario Bros Wii demo and killing his character and walking away after he asked Miyamoto about his family life (a big no-no) lead me to think dude can be pretty petty. That I can't find a link to though. Think it was a 1-UP era podcast.

I recall reading this is the reason of why Donkey was demoted to Kong in distress in DKC2, allowing Rareware's original Kong characters to star in the game.

Rare was never shy about giving tit-for-tats jabs to the people who attacked them first. Hell, in this very game Sonic's shoes and Earthworm Jim's machine gun are found near a trashcan, next to a sign that reads "No Hopers". Sega attacked the games in a TV ad daring people to choose Sonic over "some ape games" and the Sega CD port of Earthworm Jim included a cheat where Jim wears a ugly Kong mask with an arrow stuck on it.

EDIT: There's a pic:

Crankys_Video_Game_Heroes_DKC2.png

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I need a confirmation if Shiggy has played Doom 2016 and can still say that

Let's face it. That game really is a bag of potatoes and there is no way he would ever enjoy it.
He plays wonderful , joyful experiences.
Not shootbangs that a primarily defined by their violence and rudely named rocket launchers

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I recall reading this is the reason of why Donkey was demoted to Kong in distress in DKC2, allowing Rareware's original Kong characters to star in the game.

Rare was never shy about giving tit-for-tats jabs to the people who attacked them first. Hell, in this very game Sonic's shoes and Earthworm Jim's machine gun are found near a trashcan, next to a sign that reads "No Hopers". Sega attacked the games in a TV ad daring people to choose Sonic over "some ape games" and the Sega CD port of Earthworm Jim included a cheat where Jim wears a ugly Kong mask with an arrow stuck on it.

EDIT: There's a pic:

Crankys_Video_Game_Heroes_DKC2.png

Holy shit. Well, they weren't wrong about Earthworm Jim in the long run...sadly.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Not in the least bit surprising. Miyamoto has never really cared about industry trends as much as just doing his own thing. Pikmin has probably only survived as a franchise due to how much the dude loves gardening. Can you really imagine him sitting down and playing RDR2 or Death Stranding?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I seem to remember him really hating Rare back in the day or something? I always wondered what was up with that

One poorly translated quote and the rest was mostly UK gaming magazines trying to sell copies at the time.

Rare to this day have a tree planted outside their offices that Miyamoto personally delivered to them after they made DKC because he was so impressed and inspired by their work on the franchise and later on N64 as a whole. They helped push him to be better in terms of visuals especially on Ocarina of Time.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
20 years from now someone will bring up this quote, which will prompt someone to dig up the article, re-translate the interview, and then we will find out that Miyamoto never actually said that.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. Remember, this is the same company that didn't know PSN and Xbox Live existed in 2012:

This was surprising to hear, as we would have thought that they had plenty of time to work on these features as it had been announced months before, so we probed a little deeper and asked how certain scenarios might work with the Mii friends and networking, all the time referencing how Xbox Live and PSN achieve the same thing. At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in their development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them?

www.eurogamer.net

The Secret Developers: Wii U - the inside story

A third-party developer talks about the challenges of working with Nintendo and its latest console.