• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Anyone on ERA still remember the card we made for him back on the old site?
I think I still have the source files for that...
I do, and the finished product was fantastic imo. I even have photos of my poorly edited image that made it in on my PC somewhere. As others have said, it was the first "celebrity" death that really hit me emotionally. What a great person he was.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Sure it's just because their losses are most felt but it really does seem to me that the good people die younger .. I imagine it's because they expend their energy on other people rather keeping their own miserable carcass going...

..Fucking sucks anyway.. domo arigatogozaimashita Iwata san

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
He was way too good.

Seemed like a truly exceptional human being.

Genius, talent, kind, humble.

He changed this industry several times over. His achievements are remarkable and should never be forgotten.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Few people on this earth will ever bring joy to as many as he did, and the vast majority of them have no idea.

A remarkable human being by all accounts.

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I'm usually not emotional when someone passes away I don't know. But reading these statements from Miyamoto and Itoi... it seems the world really lost one of the good ones.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
tis part, in particular, mande me even more sad:

The only problem is that, if there is some good-for-nothing idea I come up with over the weekend, I have no one to share it with the next Monday. That I can no longer hear him say 'Oh, about that thing…' is a bit of a problem for me. It makes me sad."

my grandpa once said something very similar when he was talking about the fact that all of his friends and his wife had already died and he was the last one alive. He felt like he didn't belong anywhere anymore and death literally becomes the thing that you're most close of.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Iwata definitely understood games and how they should be made, and by all accounts I've heard of and found was one of the nicest people in the industry. I'm glad his influence is still there even if he no longer is himself.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I still feel sad about Iwata. no gaming-related person affected me as much as him. I always liked his presentations, he was very smart and his vision was too unique.

Iwata is the main reason I became a "believer" in Nintendo's own direction in entertainment, I loved the creativity he brought to this industry. before Iwata I only cared about Sony/Sega but Iwata changed my views forever. DS was the first Nintendo system I bought close to launch with Super Mario 64. since then I preferred Nintendo's devices over anyone else because they always brought something completely new to the table.

I feel wonder everytime I use 3D on a 3DS game.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those quotes are incredibly sad, especially from Miyamoto - after having watched him for the better part of 20 or 25 years of my life. Thanks for posting, though, as I am glad we have them.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I wish he could have seen his "all it takes to turn everything around is one game" statement borne out with Breath of the Wild and the Switch.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
A truly caring and humane person. Especially in the context of the other gaming CEOs in other pubs

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
He really was something else.

You can make money, you can lose money. You can keep staff on, or you can fire them when times get tough. You can innovate well, or not.

Iwata was a good dude. He was a chief executive no doubt, but his leadership style must have made working at Nintendo very rewarding and appealing.

Oct 26, 2017
Obligatory:

Iwata's life is a lesson that one should always strive to be a good person, even if you have all the gifts and skills that put you ahead of someone else by a longshot.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
Iwata was a legend. He wasn't someone I agreed with 100% of the time in regards to his decisions as president (and who is?), but he proved himself to be an extremely capable leader, navigating Nintendo through some of its most successful years.

It was in the low point of the Wii U era, however, that Iwata did something that ultimately shaped my opinion of him. When the company failed to meet its financial goals, instead of firing people and closing departments, he slashed his own salary in half. This speaks volumes in a time when companies like EA and Activision fire developers even in times of plenty, all in order to further boost the millionaire salaries of their top executives.

Those quotes are so heartwarming. In fact, whenever Itoi talks about Iwata, I know I will have a sad smile on my face when I finish reading it.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Really sad. I always wonder if he would have survived if he had stayed away from the company longer, or stepped down.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
It is Always going to follow me. My daughter was born on the same day he died so I will always shed a tear for him on what is a good day otherwise.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
I will never stop missing Iwata.

"Since he passed away, Nintendo has been doing just fine," says Miyamoto. "He left many words and structures that live on in the work of our younger employees today.

I'm glad to hear this.

I hope the spirits of Iwata and Yamauchi always lives within Nintendo.

Last edited:

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
The only problem is that, if there is some good-for-nothing idea I come up with over the weekend, I have no one to share it with the next Monday. That I can no longer hear him say 'Oh, about that thing…' is a bit of a problem for me. It makes me sad."

And now I'm holding tears while at work.

Hope the book gets translated. This man's legacy deserves to be more and more well know.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Iwata is a good and genuine person. Very few people in this industry could claim to be half the man he was.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We truly lost an icon, I remember getting home from work and seeing the thread title and had such genuine disbelief

Nov 5, 2017
Why do you think I still have this ribbon on my avatar? Iwata was a great industry icon and I am still memorializing him.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I wish he could have seen the Switch take off. Iwata really laid down the groundwork for this era of Nintendo.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He is an inspiration.
Since I'll be staying in Tokyo for the next 7 months I'll seek out a copy of this book for sure.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
vPD5S87.gif

RIP Iwata. Sound like he was a good chief, lucky those who worked under him

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the few celebtrity deaths that affected me for some reason. Same with Robin Williams. I hope Miyamoto will stay around for a while.
Thats what happens when you put a developer in charge of a company. Think we're gonna get heartfelt stories about this from Bobby Kotick if that wall of money he surrounds himself with suddenly caved in on him? Not that I'd wish ill on him.
We will rather find out more about Bobby being on Epstein's pedo island than any heartfelt stories.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
He's the type of person you didn't have to know personally, and he didn't have to do much for you to know that he was a good guy. He was very charismatic, and I don't think anyone could say he wasn't a brilliant professional, very passionate about his job.

The industry misses him so much, and so do us.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
So much looking forward to read that book if it ever releases here. Iwata was loved by so many people then and even today he is missed dearly. That Miyamoto quote is very sad.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Regardless if you did or did not agree with his views, I think it is undeniable that Iwata was a genuinely good person.