• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is from the book Shigesato Itoi's company recently published about Iwata.

it's a great read. some quotes:

Miyamoto:
"To me, he was a friend more than anything," Miyamoto says. "It never felt like he was my boss or that I was working under him. He never got angry; we never fought about anything."
Miyamaoto says it was never a point of friction that Iwata, who was seven years Miyamoto's junior, became his boss. "Normally, if someone younger than yourself with fewer years of experience becomes president, it might be difficult to get along with each other, but it was never like that. It had always been obvious that he was more suited for the position (than me), so it never became a problem. I think it allowed us to naturally become true friends."
Miyamoto still remembers one of their first meals together. Iwata, who was running Kirby and Smash Bros developer HAL Lab at the time, was in Kyoto to work on a project. Late at night, they went for a bowl of ramen. "Nintendo doesn't pay for social expenses, so we had to go Dutch on the bill," says Miyamoto. "That became a tradition that lasted even after he became company president and I became an executive."
"Since he passed away, Nintendo has been doing just fine," says Miyamoto. "He left many words and structures that live on in the work of our younger employees today. The only problem is that, if there is some good-for-nothing idea I come up with over the weekend, I have no one to share it with the next Monday. That I can no longer hear him say 'Oh, about that thing…' is a bit of a problem for me. It makes me sad."

Itoi:
"Iwata said that the vision behind his business was to make everyone happy: himself, his friends at work, and his customers," says Itoi. "He used the English word for 'happy' instead of the Japanese word, which charmed me. It's funny how you remember the most insignificant things, but whenever Iwata used the word 'happy,' he would show you the palms of both of his hands. That's something I don't think I'll ever forget."
"On the day of Iwata's funeral, it rained in torrents, and Miyamoto and I were waiting around," says Itoi. "Suddenly I decided to ask him how much chance Iwata himself had believed he had to be cured. Miyamoto responded immediately, in a very natural manner. 'He totally believed that he would become better. He didn't have the slightest intention to die.' That answer made me realize just how close Miyamoto and Iwata were, and to what extent they understood each other."
"What I really appreciated about Iwata is that he was never insecure, and he would never show off or get mad just to show his authority or anything like that," says Itoi. "That's why you could have long conversations with him without things ever becoming awkward in the slightest."
"As the head of a big company, he probably should have been accompanied by someone, but Iwata always came over to my office just by himself," says Itoi. "He would grab a cab, and as he rolled his suitcase, I can still hear him say 'Hello there' with that high-pitched voice of his."

Last edited:

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only "celebrity" death that has ever affected me. His death was a loss for the industry.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
'He totally believed that he would become better. He didn't have the slightest intention to die.'

:-/

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
'He totally believed that he would become better. He didn't have the slightest intention to die.'

:-/
I actually find that bit comforting. Sounds like he didn't pass away with a cloud of fear over his head.

I miss Iwata. In this often toxic industry, he was just a happy good-hearted dude who got along with everyone and wanted to make everyone's day a bit brighter.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The only problem is that, if there is some good-for-nothing idea I come up with over the weekend, I have no one to share it with the next Monday. That I can no longer hear him say 'Oh, about that thing…' is a bit of a problem for me. It makes me sad."

i can feel Miyamoto's sadness with this quote..

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Iwata said that the vision behind his business was to make everyone happy: himself, his friends at work, and his customers,"

And just a few days or weeks before he died, he publicly apologised for the E3 being disappointing and the rather vitrolic backlash.

The internet was a mistake.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone on ERA still remember the card we made for him back on the old site?
I think I still have the source files for that...
I wasn't a member back then, but wanted to participate in it so badly. His loss honestly is still felt quite a bit, even if Nintendo is doing better than ever. Honestly, reading of the less important things of what he used to do, we just did not deserve that kind of man in the industry. He was way too pure for how cynical the industry and players are :(

Edit: speaking of those muppets, this was one of the very last memories he left us while he was still among us. Honestly, a better departing gift I can't think of:

tqverZJ.gif

giphyqoj6k.gif

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He fucking apologized for an E3 showing that featured genuine Jim Henson custom made muppets of company executives.

People are fucking ruthless.

It was not an apology. It was not a statement about the content we're showing, essentially it was an 'I hear you' message.

Mr. Iwata is in Japan and what he's trying to do is help explain to consumers in Japan what's going on at E3. The correct translation of his message was: 'Thank you for your feedback. We hear you and we are committed to continuing to meet your expectations,' was essentially his message.

And that was a month before he passed as well.

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only "celebrity" death that has ever affected me. His death was a loss for the industry.
I never felt that "gut-punch" feeling before for someone I never personally knew. I'm not even a Nintendo fan, but as a programmer I had the utmost respect for him and I knew a good and irreplaceable person was gone.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Thats what happens when you put a developer in charge of a company. Think we're gonna get heartfelt stories about this from Bobby Kotick if that wall of money he surrounds himself with suddenly caved in on him? Not that I'd wish ill on him.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Thats what happens when you put a developer in charge of a company. Think we're gonna get heartfelt stories about this from Bobby Kotick if that wall of money he surrounds himself with suddenly caved in on him? Not that I'd wish ill on him.
Iwata was a genuine, good hearted person. It's not like you can just take any employee, make them boss and have this wonderful person in charge. You have to have that wonderful and capable person that everyone feels secure being lead by. There are few people in every thousand who can get along with everyone, there is far to few in a million that could do what Iwata was capable of. Luckily, he cared for the company's culture too and made changes we will feel for decades.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's not many Iwata's in this world. He's definitely the minority to be the type of person he was running a billion dollar company.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
I never felt that "gut-punch" feeling before for someone I never personally knew.
This! Upon waking up at morning and opening the old site like I always do , I thought it was a prank. When I open the thread , I was hit by a flood of emotion that lasted for days. Probably first and last time for someone I never knew personally

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A sad read for sure. Hopefully it's translated and officially released in the West.

I hope he's at peace, looking down and proud of how many smiles Switch is bringing to people's faces around the World.

I know it will never ever happen for reasons of decency but I really, really want an amiibo of Mr Iwata.

RIP Mr Iwata.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017

That's because Bobby isn't half the man Iwata was.

Could you imagine him cutting his own salary and refusing to fire people when the company doesn't do well? He'd probably laugh at the idea, better to plunge hundreds of employees into financial troubles than do something that he wouldn't even feel.

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird because, as these guys are saying in the book, iwata was charming to the point someone like me, who's never met him or being anywhere around him, felt sad about his passing. Usually don't care that much for celebrities dying because, what I'm gonna do, they're not my family or friends.

But iwata has this friendly aura very few CEOs have -if any, really- , and it really sucked how someone who was loved by everyone had to go so young.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yeah that Miyamoto quote about Mondays has a tangible emotion to it, you can tell from that sentence alone that they truly lost a father figure for the company. I really love this new Nintendo in the Switch Era, but just imagine what it would be like under Iwata, this truly could have become the next Wii.

Fingerthing

Oct 27, 2017
"Iwata said that the vision behind his business was to make everyone happy: himself, his friends at work, and his customers," says Itoi. "He used the English word for 'happy' instead of the Japanese word, which charmed me. It's funny how you remember the most insignificant things, but whenever Iwata used the word 'happy,' he would show you the palms of both of his hands. That's something I don't think I'll ever forget."
ab3.jpg

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Good read, I hope the book will be translated into English. We need more people like Iwata in this toxic industry.

Deleted member 11182

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He sounds like a genuinely good person. To be smart and driven yet free from ego or vanity, that is true virtue.