• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
He owns the studio right?

He gave his staff a gift right?

On top of what they get paid as a salary right?

Have you got any other info?

There's a really important difference between company expenses/gifts vs gifts being given from an individual, and an individual (even a CEO) can't just use the company as a piggy-bank for their own purposes. The way this is being reported, it's presented as though these are personal gifts (i.e., from Hyung-Tae Kim rather than from Shift Up). That may just be poor wording (or maybe deliberately vague to give that impression), but company expenses/perks aren't the same as a personal gift.

Oct 27, 2017
PS5-less ERA in shambles!!!
you-got-me-walter-white.gif

I want one so bad

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
lol this website could turn anything into a negative

So many users on here are utterly miserable and want to drag others down to their level, it's sad.

Sep 14, 2018
There's a really important difference between company expenses/gifts vs gifts being given from an individual, and an individual (even a CEO) can't just use the company as a piggy-bank for their own purposes. The way this is being reported, it's presented as though these are personal gifts (i.e., from Hyung-Tae Kim rather than from Shift Up). That may just be poor wording (or maybe deliberately vague to give that impression), but company expenses/perks aren't the same as a personal gift.
dsae03a656c986a4f7b.gif

Realmatic1

Oct 27, 2017
Lol why are people upset, everyone is up in arms each time there is a thread about crunch, workplace abuses etc.

here we have a developer reward the folks who helped realize this games vision and he's getting slammed?

some of y'all are so damn miserable, so petty it's disgusting.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Thats really cool!

At my first studio job we got the choice of Laundry Detergent, Face Masks (like the moisturizer type) or a box of toothpaste
along with a basket of some candy/snacks which had uhhh questionable choices.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
the most my job ever gave me for working on a huge project with a ton of late nights and weekends was a vest

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
My takeaway from it was that the studio has 260 employees, thats quite a big number. But its possible they do less outsourcing.

I hope they play various games on those PS5s and implement haptics and audio well.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are PS5s particularly hard to come across in Korea? Some big mad salty posts in here.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Lol why are people upset, everyone is up in arms each time there is a thread about crunch, workplace abuses etc.

here we have a developer reward the folks who helped realize this games vision and he's getting slammed?

some of y'all are so damn miserable, so petty it's disgusting.

I was about to say the same.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
A nice gesture for sure, but it shocks me that even with connections, Sony has 250 spare PS5s lying around to hand over.

Welcome to America! kidding / not kidding
if we weren't in a pandemic. im sure they would have given away thousands of fans during a playstation experience event if they looked under their seat

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I find it odd that people working on PS5 games don't have a personal PS5 at home.
I know people who definitely don't take their work home with them out of choice (even some first party peeps) and others in the wider game production community who simply don't get the time to even consider playing modern games.

A good friend moved away from the big game production machine after quite some time right in the thick of it, finally finding some time to catch up on the last few generations worth of the biggest and best titles thanks to a ridiculously alien 9-to-5ish work hours schedule at a new employer - it was nice to finally discuss some of my favourite games with him. Sony did send him and the other directors a ps5 when he formed a new studio, but not the employees afair. Still yet to see him online with it though, those 9-5 hours well out the window again despite whf ;-)

MiHoYo earlier this year gifted their employment in a similar fashion.

MiHoYo stayed true to their gacha core with a lottery, lol. Still, imagine the fun game of swapsies afterwards.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User threadbanned: off-topic thread derailment
You people all suck.

Let's get back to calling out things that actually matter such as the blatant sexism in this game.

Iamcenok

Oct 27, 2017
yes the dude from war of genesis and magna carta for Softmax. Same guy.

I totally forgot about this dude.
I absolutely adored his designs from way back when. Even prior to learning about Magna Carta.
Not sure I love the look of this game. But now I totally see his design aesthetic in the main protagonist.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Nice gesture. I don't get how this can be turned into something negative without unfounded speculation tbh.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
If someone did this for me in a game development workplace, both in terms of that person's income *and* special access to that volume of otherwise unavailable hardware, I'd have some pretty strong negative feelings about them, and how the company divides its earnings.

This is one of those things that sounds positive until you actually think about it.
It sounds positive because it is positive. Dude did a nice thing for people. He probably called in a favor to do it or made it a part of the deal with Sony, considering how hard it is to get a PS5.

Jeeze

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds positive because it is positive. Dude did a nice thing for people. He probably called in a favor to do it or made it a part of the deal with Sony, considering how hard it is to get a PS5.

Jeeze

I made a couple follow-up posts talking about this, clarifying that I'm looking at this through the lens of income inequality, especially re: corporate pay structure.

Edit: Here and here.

Last edited:

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I made a couple follow-up posts talking about this, clarifying that I'm looking at this through the lens of income inequality, especially re: corporate pay structure.
You really think this guy went to Best Buy and bought a bunch of PS5s? Instead of, I dunno, getting them from Sony as an extra bonus?

Geeze, not everything has to be horrible.