• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
As a big fan of Crimes and Punishments who couldn't bring himself to finish Sinking City, I'm tentatively excited for this. Even though the game is open world again a la Sinking City, it sounds like the DNA of the cases is much more C&P than SC, with the ability to accuse multiple suspects and be wrong. I do hope we're mostly done with those "put these scenes in order" puzzles very common in Sinking City, which really do most of the thinking for the player.

The voiceovers sound pretty good as well. It also seems as though combat will be limited, which is great. Frogwares seems to be taking note of the poorly received elements of Sinking City and returning to their roots a bit while still trying to make a bigger game.

I guess the thing I'm iffy about is the overarching story. This, to me, was one of several reasons why Devil's Daughter was a weaker game than C&P. If the cases have to be linked to this overarching story, it limits the creativity of what's possible in standalone cases. But hey, if the writing is strong enough, that may not matter.

The other thing that's take-or-leave is the sidequests. If they come with their own deduction board and really require some deductive thinking, then sign me up! But if they're more like side content from SC, then I probably won't bother with anything outside the main cases.

Anyway- I don't mean to sound too critical- this is a top 5 most anticipated game for me. So few western developers make true detection games, and it makes me something of a fanatic regarding the few who do. Thank you for posting the video.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I look forward to this. Too bad gameplay isn't ready to be shown yet. Gonna be weird without Watson though!