• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47643626

An Oklahoma sheriff and all of her deputies have quit in protest of dangerous - possibly lethal - conditions at an old rural county jail.
Nowata County Sheriff Terry Barnett said the dilapidated jail had near-toxic carbon monoxide and mould levels and no fire alarms, among other issues.
Prisoners have been housed in another jail since the end of February due to these safety concerns.
The officers quit after a judge ordered them to return prisoners to the jail.
At a news conference on Monday, Ms Barnett announced that she, along with her undersheriff, deputies, head dispatcher and the majority of the jail staff, were resigning over the "inexcusable" conditions.
The rural jail's carbon monoxide levels were just two points away from lethal and four employees had been taken to hospital as a result, she said. The jail has been closed since that incident.
Other problems at the facility include exposed wiring with outlets that have shocked inmates, no surveillance cameras, faulty sewage lines with methane leaks, inadequate staffing and even "an episode of a snake falling on the head of a prisoner when opening a door".

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The title made it sound like they were forced to resign over the conditions, not that they resigned in protest of the conditions

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Qtor3qf.jpg

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus. Based off the thread title, I just assumed that they themselves had set up death traps in the jail

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was going to be about prisoner abuse.

Good for them, and this could've been a lot worse given the title.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Good on the sheriff/deputies for standing up..that said...

That judge really ordered those prisoners back to potentially lethal conditions?

How does someone that lacking in basic human decency still have a job?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Totally read the title thinking these guys put together Saw-like traps in their prison for entertainment...

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Was reading about this earlier today; that judge is corrupt af. Offering bribes of money and a trip and such for the sheriff to send these prisoners back to basically leathal conditions. She is right that it wasn't even a matter of if, but when someone died because of this. The carbon monoxide level alone is near lethal levels. Hope that judge is heavily investigated; maybe he'd like to spend a little while in this death trap if he thinks it's so safe?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah its a BBC article. Kind of a strange source for a rural Oklahoma court drama.
Yeah, thought that was a little strange. But the BBC is one of the best. And it's refreshing to see US police actually give a damn. I first thought there were inmate death battles going on when I read the title. Tbh, I wouldn't have been surprised.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
The title is pretty misleading. Good on Sheriff Barnett and her deputies for taking a stand.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, thought that was a little strange. But the BBC is one of the best. And it's refreshing to see US police actually give a damn. I first thought there were inmate death battles going on when I read the title. Tbh, I wouldn't have been surprised.

Do they give a damn or are they just worried about their own safety?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Do they give a damn or are they just worried about their own safety?
I wouldn't be surprised if they quit to cover their own ass from civil liability. I'd like to think they genuinely cared. But so far I haven't scene evidence of cops doing so. When it happens it's usually in front of cameras on Live PD.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they quit to cover their own ass from civil liability. I'd like to think they genuinely cared. But so far I haven't scene evidence of cops doing so. When it happens it's usually in front of cameras on Live PD.
Doubt liability had anything to do with it. They had to work there too.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm relieved, and glad to know there are people in the system that have some level of care.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
From the looks of it the sheriff turned down multiple attempts from that judge at what she considered to be offers to bribe her to look the other way considering the jail.