• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Yes!
The steelbook was in the bargain bin within 3 days.
Also Epic pissing in the bath didn't help either.

pCUZuF5.jpg

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Bombed hard makes it sound like no one bought it. Plenty of people bought it with the kickstarter.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
There was meant to be another town in Shenmue 3, Baisha Village. Shenmue 3 could have definitely done with more substance, but it might help if they have some of that town already made because potentially a lot of the story could happen there.
Me personally with Shenmue 3 i would've wanted more fights, kinda like Shenmue 2 where you could just find em everywhere.
Even that secret tournament.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017

Sold heavily on pre order, making it #1 pre ordered on Amazon Japan and UK, and after release it sold slowly, but we can't know if it really bombed since they havent released numbers.
I think someone mentioned that for every copy they sold on launch it was already profit due to kickstarter and deep silver funding.

After loving SM1&2 and kickstarting 3, I wont kickstarter a SM4.
Why? Because 3 was a huge disappointment. It kept only the carisma of the series, but everything else was a huge dejavu, both on mechanics and events... also too many issues on the technical side... I wont blidnly pay again for another inconclusive chapter of the series... :\
But obviously, if its on the work, I will gladly wait for it and buy it at a fair price, depending if it will be a good sequel or not.

Shenmue 4 definitely doesnt need kickstarter funding

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
In my fan fiction, this is how I would do Shenmue 4

Part 1 Baisha Village, finish of the chi you men storyline and defeat
Sun

Part 2
A burnt and vulnerable...
Lani Di follows you back to Yokosuka where it began, Ryo has a chance now and it's a close battle but chooses not to kill him because defeating an stumbling man and taking revenge, doesn't fit the themes of the series. It comes full circle then since Lan Di is spared mercy in the same spot he killed Iwao.

That would probably save money as well since there isn't a lot of new towns to imagine, yet you still have an emotional homecoming for the characters.

The story is actually moving forward like i've thought about it in my head for some time.

My theory was that:
The Chi you men turn against Lan Di and on a final battle of Ryo vs the heads of the Chi you men, Lan Di seeks redemption (previously finding out that he killed an innocent man in Ryo's father) and fights alongside Ryo probably sacrificing himself to save Ryo.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Maybe by the time it releases I would find all the fucking herbs for the platinum trophy.
Who the hell designed the trophies?

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
I mean it could mean a bunch of things, but it seems like a ridiculously insensitive and pointless thing to Tweet if it isn't to do with Shenmue 4. I don't think many people follow him for the latest news on Magic Monaco. I COULD BE WRONG, of course, but I think he's definitely dropping hints when he drops a cryptic Tweet like that.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The story is actually moving forward like i've thought about it in my head for some time.

My theory was that:
The Chi you men turn against Lan Di and on a final battle of Ryo vs the heads of the Chi you men, Lan Di seeks redemption (previously finding out that he killed an innocent man in Ryo's father) and fights alongside Ryo probably sacrificing himself to save Ryo.
I would have it so Ryo can't win, but convinces Lan Di to surrender, and if you need a boss battle with him you can win, do a time skip in the ending where Ryo looks more like his father, has overlevelled all his moves and the player can beat him in a sparring match (but it's very challenging) You can do a satisfying ending to 4 if they creative even though Ryo is overmatched. 4 being the final one would be a good decision because they likely wouldn't get another chance.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Would you guys take Shenmue IV without full VA and with 2D cutscenes if it meant higher quality storytelling & dialogue? If only things were so simple... I'd certainly prefer that kind of Shenmue to a novel/manga. There have got to be ways to push past the limited budget and deliver a full Shenmue experience, while perhaps reducing some of the fluff associated with the old games.

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I do think they might announce 4 to quell any negativity from fans (thinking that it will never happen etc), even if it takes a long time again.

Maybe by the time it releases I would find all the fucking herbs for the platinum trophy.
Who the hell designed the trophies?

Seriously. The fishing one is awful as well. Funny thing is I don't know if it was an intentional troll or not, would love to ask Suzuki about those.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Would you guys take Shenmue IV without full VA and with 2D cutscenes if it meant higher quality storytelling & dialogue? If only things were so simple... I'd certainly prefer that kind of Shenmue to a novel/manga. There have got to be ways to push past the limited budget and deliver a full Shenmue experience, while perhaps reducing some of the fluff associated with the old games.
I liked Shenmue III but I will take a IV (V, VI, etc) in anyway I can to finish the story.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I thought doing the first half in Baisha Village, Chi You territory (against Sun) which was meant to be in Shenme 3, and the second half in Yokosuka. Lan Di eventually comes for you like the battle of winter fell/Kaer Morhen , on your home front.

I guess it might save money if you remake old areas and don't have to hire as many art directors to come with new NPCs (except maybe a few like Zimming) and the nostalgia of Shenmue 1 might get a bit more excitement. You could also do a few cool stuff like actually visit the mad angels hideout this time and it's now a night time fighting ring, or the abodoned cinema in Dobuita has an gambling ring in it, and a few other areas in the harbour that were also out of reach

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it is, he's been hinting since 3's release, it means it has essentially been greenlit.
I hope so, Shenmue 3 didn't feel like a whole package, just an extra 2 chapters and the reviews were middling with a few great ones here and there, the series getting one final instalment could be a nice ending.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019

No I wouldn't take that. For me the essence of Shenmue is the feeling of "presence", the feeling if visiting somewhere real and alive. So it must be 3D and must have fully explorable compact environments, beautiful music and a night & day cycle. That's why I overall enjoyed Shenmue III even with its horrendous writing.

I could do without VA, however. And with the same recycled minigames and fighting engine of 3. And less shops and a less developed shops/economy/market.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I hope so, Shenmue 3 didn't feel like a whole package, just an extra 2 chapters and the reviews were middling with a few great ones here and there, the series getting one final instalment could be a nice ending.

I think it's fair to say that 4 will probably be the final chapter, goodwill from fans and publishers, will only stretch so far, and a kickstarter is likely out of the question this time.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fair to say that 4 will probably be the final chapter, goodwill from fans and publishers, will only stretch so far, and a kickstarter is likely out of the question this time.
Yeah, 3 was a fun but flawed game IMO, but also overshadowed by some of the kickstarter and epic game store controversies. I hope they can come up with a way to wrap up 4 and still have it not feeling rushed.

They probably have to come up with a new climax than the original outline though and be very creative. I think Hannibal and Firefly did a good job with this, when they managed to scramble an ending. It's tricky but I think possible.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Please God let it be true. I have yet to finish 3, but I have enjoyed it immensely. I kinda stopped myself just because I know how sad I would be finishing it only to know the story may not get finished and I'll be back to waiting until I'm 50 to get that epic conclusion to the series.

Come on you cowards, someone fund IV.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Please God let it be true. I have yet to finish 3, but I have enjoyed it immensely. I kinda stopped myself just because I know how sad I would be finishing it only to know the story may not get finished and I'll be back to waiting until I'm 50 to get that epic conclusion to the series.

Come on you cowards, someone fund IV.
It be great if Shenmue IV was the 'serenity' of the series, and they take advantage of an opportunity to do a nice wrap up.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I threw my sealed Kickstarter shipper of Shenmue 3 in a trash compactor.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah hardly a confirmation... but I do wanna believe!

Same here. I'm really loving it. It almost my favorite Shenmue experience so far and I'm still at Bailu!

If IV is a great game, people will eat a 5th game. I know I am :P

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Cedric wouldnt post something that leading this far into our Shenmue adventure without meaning it. I can't imagine he's that oblivious.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. I'm really loving it. It almost my favorite Shenmue experience so far and I'm still at Bailu!

If IV is a great game, people will eat a 5th game. I know I am :P
I wouldn't mind if they conclude the vengeance story with Lan Di but leave something open. Like the phoenix and dragon can be seen in the stars at the end and something in the world has changed.