• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Isnt' Shenmue like a trailblazer open world game or something, maybe it should be the Bladerunner of games (also a flop)

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I still glad we live in a world where Shenmue 3 was developed and released. Maybe not the best but I am glad it was made for fans to continue the DC legacy.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being fascinated with it back then when it was new. Seeing those live demos in stores were kinda jaw-dropping for its time because of the sheer attention to detail. But in hindsight, I am glad I didn't buy a Dreamcast for this game. Because the actual game is really, really boring as I learned later. And Shenmue 3 looks like a game made in the late 90s following exactly what made the old games so tedious and boring to play. Which is all the fans wanted, so I am glad for them.

Oct 30, 2017
Isnt' Shenmue like a trailblazer open world game or something, maybe it should be the Bladerunner of games (also a flop)
Yes, it is. But it's also extremely slow paced, has clunky controls, doesn't really have a lot of traditionally engaging gameplay, and features an incredibly poor English-Language dub, which makes it an easy mark 15+ years later. But for some reason some of us really, really love it. It's bizarre Sega spent so much money on it considering what it ended up being, but I'm glad they did.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
My thing is obviously he likes to beat down on a niche series but what's up with the factual incorrect shit he is spewing? This dude literally pulled the Japanese sales to validate his hate for the series. Really weak

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this feels like the opposite of what jim usually preaches.

small game with small budget got made because fans wanted it and fans are happy with what they got. where's the problem here?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Jim got this bad

This is almost as unsubstantiated as Jim's twitter rant about "Games are bigger on purpose so they take more space on your hard-drive which forces out competition" which is some conspiracy theory level nonsense.

Doesn't mention it, other than a clip of Kiryu and the young girl in the video.

He mentions it near the end? How Yakuza basically evolved and Shenmue is "obsolete".

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Jimquisition seems like a poor choice of platform to rag on the game he obviously hates when a Jimpressions video is really what he should have done.

This just feels so forced and painfully vindictive.

Jun 12, 2018
This is one of Jim's poorest videos. So much misinformation and plain hating.

I have to wonder why people who dislike this series continously go out their way to crap on it or try to make it look bad. I mean who does that anyway and why? Seems petty and a waste of time

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Well, this was a long rant and I'm not sure what the point was. Should've watched an episode of She-Ra instead.

Outside of 'not getting' Shenmue, there is not really anything controversial to talk about if you are not already a fan. Fans like it, others don't get it, life goes on. There is nothing that Shenmue does that affects other games badly in some way.

Oct 25, 2017
I only watched a playthrough of the first Shemue and it looked like an incomprehensibly boring game with nothing going on but people love it. I don't think anybody loves Waterworld.
Also, if it brings some people joy who cares? I don't really care for "this thing that has literally no negative impact on anything suuuuucks" videos even if I couldn't care less about Shenmue. Especially when it's niche as hell. It's like if I made a video about how much Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of Underdark sucks.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
this feels like the opposite of what jim usually preaches.

small game with small budget got made because fans wanted it and fans are happy with what they got. where's the problem here?

He reeeeally hates Shenmue and has to make sure that everyone knows it.

A feel-good story in which something borderline miraculous happened and a franchise got revived after 14 years of being dead? Oh no, got to spin that into a negative somehow.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I would have guessed that he'd go with the tried-and-true "Shenmue is Yakuza without any of the fun," but okay, he went a different route here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
He mentions it near the end? How Yakuza basically evolved and makes Shenmue is "obsolete".
Terrific. Nothing worse than him peddling that moronic, shitty view. I like some of his stuff but he really needs to shut up if he's gonna just talk out of his ass on this one... As if he'd actually wanted to do a fair comparison of the games, he'd realise they are not similar outside of some superficial differences...

Oct 30, 2017
I think his angle is Ys Net misspent people's money and the usual EGS stuff being bad, so he feels like he's taking an honorable stand or whatever against this unpopular series.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
My thing is obviously he likes to beat down on a niche series but what's up with the factual incorrect shit he is spewing? This dude literally pulled the Japanese sales to validate his hate for the series. Really weak

Jim hates Shenmue and Shenmue fans and it's well documented, so he's been frothing at the mouth waiting to make this video. Even though main sales data isn't available he would have used anything to justify his hate for the game and how it has failed. Even in the face of half decent reviews (70 OC/MC is as much as anyone expected and hoped for) and fans being pleased with the game he somehow makes up lies to justify his hate for it. His ultimate goal is to annoy Shenmue fans and find content for another Shenmue "Comentocracy" video like he did last year.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was an amusing video. I can't disagree with anything said, after all, much of it was objective analysis and after playing Shenmue last year, I put off playing II indefinitely. I was not impressed to put it lightly.

I would like to add a couple things though. While the analysis is largely objective I feel it runs too close to cynicism, which is certainly how fans will interpret the clout given to it's cost versus the value. Regardless of how the first game failed to grab me, I find the lack of 'evolution' charming. Rather it be down to Yu Suzuki's inability or unwillingess to compromise on what he or his fans want, that strikes a chord with me. These are value judgments that could easily be as immaterial to others as the dollar cost is to me.

I've been mulling over trying the series again with Shenmue II. I find the world, characters and idiosyncratic limitations of either to be uniquely charming. I just despised the pacing of it all in the first game. Not to be contrarian but much of what is displayed here of Shenmue III actually made me more interested to start Shenmue II on the way to III although I'm given pause by the claim of another cliff hanger at the end of III given the series' uh, uncertain future.

Good and funny video with lots of context I didn't have with the series.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
This is the weirdest game to have a hate boner over, especially from someone that praises Musou games and Deadly Premonition. Shenmue is so inoffensive, it's like getting asshurt over Katamari.

Oct 26, 2017
I usually like Jim, but he's just being an asshole here. Shenmue III is exactly what he should be praising: skilled developers with a vision getting to ignore market trends and AAA budgets and just make a solid damn game that fans specifically ask for. It's the same thing as Bloodstained. Complaining that the games haven't evolved with the times is ridiculous when that's exactly what they're designed to not do. People wanted another Dreamcast Shenmue, people wanted another Symphony of the Night. That's what we got. All the naysayers who didn't even care for the games to begin with? They can just fuck off.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Sterling's factually wrong when it comes to the funding of the game (and a few other subjects as well). That's what you get when you take unsubstantiated claims and rumors and state them as facts.

As I said in another topic, Epic's money didn't go towards the game's development for what I've heard. It went to Deep Silver.
That gotta be one of the most hilariously sad things to happen to Shenmue.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Waterworld had Dennis Hopper in it, therefore Waterworld is incredible.

Last I heard, Shenmue III does not have Dennis Hopper in it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This was an amusing video. I can't disagree with anything said, after all, much of it was objective analysis and after playing Shenmue last year, I put off playing II indefinitely. I was not impressed to put it lightly.

I would like to add a couple things though. While the analysis is largely objective I feel it runs too close to cynicism, which is certainly how fans will interpret the clout given to it's cost versus the value. Regardless of how the first game failed to grab me, I find the lack of 'evolution' charming. Rather it be down to Yu Suzuki's inability or unwillingess to compromise on what he or his fans want, that strikes a chord with me. These are value judgments that could easily be as immaterial to others as the dollar cost is to me.

I've been mulling over trying the series again with Shenmue II. I find the world, characters and idiosyncratic limitations of either to be uniquely charming. I just despised the pacing of it all in the first game. Not to be contrarian but much of what is displayed here of Shenmue III actually made me more interested to start Shenmue II on the way to III although I'm given pause by the claim of another cliff hanger at the end of III given the series' uh, uncertain future.

Good and funny video with lots of context I didn't have with the series.
You need to reread the definition of objective analysis. This video is absolutely slathered in Jim's subjective view on Shenmue.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I am confused by this series When Shenmue III was announced I somehow thought it would be a big thing. The fact publisher couldn't afford funding it and all, I thought it would be big and ambitious. Instead, we got a title with outdated graphics and mechanics.

Oct 30, 2017
Even if Yakuza is superior to Shenmue, I'm not sure why the argument becomes: Shenmue shouldn't exist. Can't two games in similar genres exist at the same time? Why does the idea an "inferior Yakuza shouldn't exist" become the fact?

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I hope this bad press doesn't end up destroying the chances of a S4. Its like most games i really enjoy lately seem to get bashed/end up flopping/both etc and it really bums me out. It's starting to affect my passion of this hobby.

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I am confused by this series When Shenmue III was announced I somehow thought it would be a big thing. The fact publisher couldn't afford funding it and all, I thought it would be big and ambitious. Instead, we got a title with outdated graphics and mechanics.
The first two games were the most expensive games of all time and it took them 15+ years to find anyone to find the third game—for much less money. Many of the mechanics are not necessarily outdated but by design.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
As my avatar shows, I'm a huge fan of both Shenmue and Yakuza. And while there are similarities, the two series are also very different.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Did Shenmue III even have a large budget?

For the Shenmue III portions of the video Jim discusses the money the game generated from crowdfunding/the Epic Games deal/etc... along with delays for added features and ideas vs the final product/overall reception.

Oct 30, 2017
As my avatar shows, I'm a huge fan of both Shenmue and Yakuza. And while there are similarities, the two series are also very different.
I am just saying why does one game's existence negate the others, even if one is supposedly better than the other? I don't see that logic being applied to the thousands of RPGs or action games released every year.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if Yakuza is superior to Shenmue, I'm not sure why the argument becomes: Shenmue shouldn't exist. Can't two games in similar genres exist at the same time? Why does the idea an "inferior Yakuza shouldn't exist" become the fact?

it's just more people shitting on Shenmue and glossing over minor surface similarities between the two franchises.

It's annoyingly disappointing that Jim would perpetuate that and not look into their actual differences and what makes them unique...then again, his aforementioned hatred probably doesn't allow it.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For the Shenmue III portions of the video Jim discusses the money the game generated from crowdfunding/the Epic Games deal/etc... along with delays for added features and ideas vs the final product/overall reception.

And he's wrong about a lot of stuff (read my first message in this topic).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't answer the question of Shenmue's budget size.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
In an industry where lots of fans and critics harshly criticize games for a plethora of reasons (games following a trend, abuse of mtx, gaas, all AAA feeling samey) I will never understand why a game who although has lots of big flaws (the 3 games)but that also at its time was pretty revolutionary and now is a game that you can rarely findfind anywhere manages to get so much vitriol and hate like Shenmue does

Like I can formulate so many theories

- Does people hate the game after Yu Suzuki/fans promised this out of this world game but that in the end under delivered
- Does people hate Shenmue fans showing everywhere selling the good aspects of this series?
- Does people still hate SEGA from the console wars era
- Does people hate this series thinking that it was responsible of killing SEGA
- Does people feel betrayed with the EGS fiasco?

Like for me this game with all his flaws at worst deserves to be mocked for being overrated/boring and then move on, but I feel that there is an alarming amount of people who looks actively happy to see this game fail
it's because i was sold a bill of goods with shenmue

i was promised combat and all i got was some nerd who wanted to pet cats and play lucky hit

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I totally agree with him lol

I just had a conversation about this with a friend literally 3 days ago. I get it, it's niche but come on. It's like a Dreamcast game with a fresh paint of coat. And I originally backed this too.

I don't wish failure but expected this to be a lot more modern and that's not getting into how incomplete the story progression is even after this.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I guess all the developers who think the same must be exaggerating too.
Of course not, individuals are inspired and influenced by all sorts, Shenmue is in that bucket and is definitely among the games that devs pull from.

I just meant more this kind of thing is an exaggeration that keeps coming up:
And all of the critics and writers and game designers who cite its influence.

Shenmue did not "make open world a thing" that's just nonsense but it's the kind of weird myth that gets perpetuated by fans and sometimes by devs (like in this situation.)

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You need to reread the definition of objective analysis. This video is absolutely slathered in Jim's subjective view on Shenmue.

I clearly stated that the balance of cost versus value analysis was lop sided. The first being objective and the latter subjective. A large part of the video was dealing with the budgets and financial failures, objective thing.

Those objective valuations can also be 'wrong' and as someone who has no prior information of the series I'm seeing some contradictions to his claims there but that's different than not knowing the definitions of the words involved.