• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
sony is financing the game but based on all the information and interviews we had throughout the years only in a very VERY minimum capacity.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I'm used to seeing gratuitous Shenmue hate over the years (even worse since people discovered Yakuza, for some reason) but hating on the game, its legacy, and its fanbase because people talked about it insead of your friend's game 4 years ago is definitely one of the most surreal yet.
I'm occasionally lulled into thinking that resetera is a place where you can have some good chat and debate about games with everyone - and then I come across posts like the one you're talking about and I remember that there are still a bunch of immature children stalking the boards

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
You missed the "as well" part. Sony is helping in all the things previousely mentioned AND the publishing part as well.

"Their" is referring to Sony and Shibuya.

Ok I wasn't being completely accurate when I said that. Sony did support the game to some extent (it definitely seems like it was mostly related to marketing and publishing for the PS4 version) but it is clear that their investment was very limited. Why else would they have kept looking for additional investors? Yu Suzuki has said many times that without Deep Silver the game would have been MUCH smaller in scope.

As you know open world games cost a lot! [laughs] So it is challenging for me to deal with the budget issue. Even after we completed the Kickstarter project I have been looking for other partners to join us and as you know we have now partnered with Deep Silver. So I'm now comfortable in saying, 'Don't worry, I can make the whole game you imagined!' Even if the sense of size cannot compare with the biggest open world games, that is impossible without a much bigger budget.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/08/28/shen...can-make-the-whole-game-you-imagined-6885083/

Again, Sony did support the game in several ways, but they are NOT a major investor and are definitely not FULLY funding it like some people still seem to believe.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Words from Yu Suzuki from Shenmue Kickstarter :

Sony is helping in production, marketing end and also publising support. What do you think production means ?

Words from Gio Corsi, from Sony :
Again, Sony's third-party production team gets involved in assisting others in bringing existing third-party games to PlayStation platforms. What Gio is referring to there is supporting them for as long as it takes to get the PS4 port to a standard they are happy with. That is where technical support comes into play. Do we have any information past 2015 about PlayStation's third-party production team and where they are currently at since talking about Shenmue III after it was announced? Ys Net, Neilo and Lakshya Digital are the only known studios working on the actual development of the game. Since Deep Silver got involved and invested heavy, they are the actual global publisher of the game so you can disregard Sony's publisher duties on that. That would also potentially negate their marketing duties too since that is the task of the publisher.

On the record we know Sony has less money in the project (if at all ANY relating to development) than Shibuya Productions, who had less money than the Kickstarter total - and both parties relinquished publishing on PC/PS4 duties when Deep Silver got involved. I'm sure they'll keep insisting the Kickstarter was a stunt, though.
I trust you on this since you clearly hold this information close to you and always, always keep things up to date and relevant rather than relying on the oldest information available and making judgements based on outdated information. It's a shame about those who wish to do the latter.

I added many sources and your only argument is "Sony can't fund the game because another company fund it more" ? That doesn't make any sens and is just a poor argument overall. Even the tweet you linked confirm Sony is one of the investor behind the game, you know that ?

Bad faith with sources and quote backing exactly what I said ? Lol sure. You know more about what's behind the game than Polygon, Kotaku, PC gamer and other famous medias outlet, even some that directly interviewed him ? You're convincing no one. You just don't want to admit you know less about the game than you think you did.
Those sources misconstrue what PlayStation third-party production is and does. You're arguing that Sony is funding the development of the game based on very old information that you could try and cross-reference and corroborate with newer sources but probably won't be able to, just like you're judging that Shenmue III won't come out in August because of... what has to be old information and not even strong arguments at that. Spag is trying to use more up to date information that you seem not to like and would very much like to disregard given your attitude towards Shenmue and its fans.

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I added many sources and your only argument is "Sony can't fund the game because another company fund it more" ? That doesn't make any sens and is just a poor argument overall. Even the tweet you linked confirm Sony is one of the investor behind the game, you know that ?

Bad faith with sources and quote backing exactly what I said ? Lol sure. You know more about what's behind the game than Polygon, Kotaku, PC gamer and other famous medias outlet, even some that directly interviewed him ? You're convincing no one. You just don't want to admit you know less about the game than you think you did.
Homie, you're arguing the Kickstarter was a stunt because Sony were magically going to fund the whole thing.

I've provided you with evidence their contribution is less than Shibuya Productions, who's own contribution is less than the Kickstarter funds, and both parties relinquished publication rights and moved out of the way for Deep Silver when they joined in Summer 2017.

Yu Suzuki, in a 2015 Famitsu interview, said that he expects "the game's investment will primarily come from individual backers".

Cedric Biscay, in a 2015 or 2016 interview with fansite Shenmue Master:

7/ Fans and media have still a lot of questions regarding the role of each party. We prepared for you a summary of these roles. Tell us if the following elements are correct or not.

- SEGA granted YsNet the Shenmue III licence after negotiations directly led by Yu Suzuki. Suzuki-san was the one negotiating with Sony as well.

- Sony highlighted the Shenmue III Kickstarter campaign at E3 2015 and thus has been a big part of its success. In order to sell Shenmue III, Sony will also provide valuable assistance thanks to its marketing power and communication efficiency. Sony will be in charge of the production and publishing of the PlayStation 4 version and continue providing technical expertise to the YsNet team on Shenmue III development (hardware knowledge, optimization).

- Shibuya Productions is the initiator of the project with YsNet. You are the original and main investor in Shenmue III. You gave the initial impetus that made this project possible. Shibuya Productions is also responsible for the publishing and marketing of the PC version.

- YsNet is in charge of the game development on PlayStation 4 and PC in partnership with Neilo, Tak Hirai's studio. The management of the PayPal campaign has been assigned to Awesome Japan, a service provider.

Cédric Biscay: "Yes."

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You missed the "as well" part. Sony is helping in all the things previousely mentioned AND the publishing part as well.

"Their" is referring to Sony and Shibuya. Crazy we have to explain that, it's clear in itself, you just have to read.

What publishing part ?
Their name is NOWHERE to be seen. In fact, you want a perfect proof of that ? It's been handled by Sony 3rd Party Production, which is their small 3rd party arm that handles indie partnerships.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
To be quite fair, it's hard to ignore a thread where even the people who are part of the small bubble that actually wanted this game to exist are worried about hype not being there so close to release... Hard for those who like it and especially hard for those who don't.

I'm not on either side, but I admit it's pretty funny to watch people getting really upset about things being said about an unreleased game.

I'm not talking about legit criticism. Despite being a backer, and very much looking forward to playing the game, I actually think the PR has sucked. I'm more referring to people that want to see Shenmue III crash and burn for either humorous and/or spiteful reasoning.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I'm occasionally lulled into thinking that resetera is a place where you can have some good chat and debate about games with everyone - and then I come across posts like the one you're talking about and I remember that there are still a bunch of immature children stalking the boards
Genuinely.

This has gone full-on GameFAQS-tier, with a desperate attempt to bring up an issue that was closed literally years ago now.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Homie, you're arguing the Kickstarter was a stunt because Sony were magically going to fund the whole thing.

I've provided you with evidence their contribution is less than Shibuya Productions, who's own contribution is less than the Kickstarter funds, and both parties relinquished publication rights and moved out of the way for Deep Silver when they joined in Summer 2017.

Yu Suzuki, in a 2015 Famitsu interview, said that he expects "the game's investment will primarily come from individual backers".

RG0BS1U.gif

Even down to production/technical support on the PlayStation 4 version of the game, that I was talking about.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
That's because you don't think out of your small box.

I find the subject of Shenmue, the cult surrounding it and its fans passionating (in a bad way). I wouldn't lose time speaking about it if I didn't. The games in themselves though... you know my opinion on them by now.

You can dislike a franchise, but still like discussing about what surround it, even if it's negative. It's quite mind-numbling some of you don't understand that point. Or don't want to, it's easier to dismiss it at something else, like "pathetic hate". It's the same thing with Patcher. People genuinly hate him and yet, every threads about him go about 10 pages easily. How do you explain that going by your logic ? You can't. The reality is, people like to talk about things they like AND dislike/hate. I'd even go as far as saying that people like to discuss about things they hate more than the opposite. The fact that some try to dictate what we should say about a game or a franchise on this board because they can't stomach negativity toward a product they identify themselves (and their well-being) with, is the only pathetic thing I see.

You say that is passion, I take spewing venom like your first post here as wasting precious time of your short life in this planet. It's not even discussion, it's venom. To be quite honest, I'd find positive things to do with your time and learn how to let go of your hate towards a community that has done nothing to you, except enjoy a game.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Man it's been 4 years and we're still on this "Sony's funding the game" shit lol
Seriously. That shit was cleared up literally years ago, or so I thought. Part of me wonders if it's just being brought up to continue to antagonise this thread.

By the end of 2015 (long after the press stopped caring about the issue, unfortunately) things were firmly established as:

Primary private investor funds & PC publishing came from Shibuya Productions, marketing support and PS4 publishing from Sony, and Kickstarter funds making up the majority of the budget.

Then in mid-2017 Sony and Shibuya Productions relinquish publishing rights to Deep Silver in return for investment into the development budget. Sony remains as a marketing partner. Technically Shibuya too, as they've always made space for the game at their MAGIC event, but it's sort of felt like Shenmue III is raising MAGIC's profile rather than the other way around.

It was a clusterfuck to understand for a while, admittedly. Sony made unhelpful comments to ingratiate themselves to the project after the Kickstarter was a proven success, that made much of the press go "AH-HA!" and add their own conjecture about Sony being a primary investor, despite them pretty openly keeping the game at arm's length during the reveal (e.g: "this is very much THEIR project...")

Ys Net couldn't lay it out simply for business confidentiality reasons (whatever they may have been), and Yu Suzuki had a habit of using "support" pretty liberally; which people took to mean cash money for some reason (obviously debunked as soon as SEGA was mentioned the same way - they licenced the IP on the condition Yu finds his own funding).

Shibuya were pretty clear on their involvement as the private financing partner, and at some point Cedric even said the contributions were millions of Euros, but below the Kickstarter total. I think a lot more people would be aware of them if the fucking cameras at Sony's E3 press conference didn't cut away from the video right as their logo showed up at the tail end of the Shenmue III video, but it is what it is.

RG0BS1U.gif

Even down to production/technical support on the PlayStation 4 version of the game, that I was talking about.
There's more, but Google search results seems to have washed away some of it over the years. I consider the Shenmue Master interview pretty much the final word though. No room for interpretation, it's answered in a yes/no fashion.

*waits for someone to attempt to contradict it*

EDIT: If that poster insists on continuing to antagonise the thread, report them.

Feb 2, 2019

I never argued the Kickstarter campaign was a stunt BECAUSE Sony were fully funding the game or something along those lines. I said the Kickstarter campaign was a stunt (mainly because they knew from the start the Kickstarter wouldn't have been enough), period. Sony funding the game was just me correcting your wrong beliefs about that particular point. Those two points weren't related in my mind and I made it quite clear by separating the two things in my first post about this particular point.

Isn't in an established fact that Shenmue 3 Kickstarter was a marketing stunt to see if the game could draw enough attention ? You can't fund an open world like Shenmue with a kickstarter campaign.

Also, you're wrong : Sony is funding the game. There's no indication that Sony funding isn't going to development.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-23-shenmue-3-dev-declares-usd7-1m-crowdfunding-total

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-08-sitting-down-with-shenmue-3-and-yu-suzuki

"Also" act a clear separation here. It was just me correcting you, not me arguing the kickstarter campaign was a stunt because Sony were fully funding it. It's crazy how some people can't even keep a discussion straight without putting words or arguments into people mouth.

Sony is funding the game, I backed the statement with many sources. Even the exact same interview that you linked back me up :

Sony highlighted the Shenmue III Kickstarter campaign at E3 2015 and thus has been a big part of its success. In order to sell Shenmue III, Sony will also provide valuable assistance thanks to its marketing power and communication efficiency. Sony will be in charge of the production and publishing of the PlayStation 4 version and continue providing technical expertise to the YsNet team on Shenmue III development (hardware knowledge, optimization).

You think all of those things are free ? It costs money and prove Sony is putting some money behind Shenmue 3. Two times you tried to provide contradicting sources, two times it proved Sony is putting money behind the game (the tweet you linked before and that interview). You went into straight ignoring my answer, but do you - at least - understand that the tweet of Cedric Biscay you linked proves Sony is funding the game, even if it's less than Cedric's company ?

I never said Sony were alone at doing it, I never said Sony were the major investor and I never said I know how much they did put in the game. So far, you failed to provide any fact or sources that contradict the sources I linked above. I'm sorry for you if I chose to believe many media outlets, Suzuki and Gio Corsi owns words rather than a random member of Resetera. I'm also sorry for you if even your own source back my statement. I don't know why it's that hard to accept that you were just wrong. It's not the end of the world, you know ?

Again, Sony did support the game in several ways, but they are NOT a major investor and are definitely not FULLY funding it like some people still seem to believe.

I never said they were the major investor and I never said they were fully funding it. I don't even think I read that from other posters in that thread. You're waving your arms at pure air here. Now, if it did happen in other threads, I'm not responsible.

Spag is trying to use more up to date information that you seem not to like and would very much like to disregard given your attitude towards Shenmue and its fans.

By using a tweet from 2015 confirming Sony is in fact funding the game and a 2015 interview that also confirms it ?

That will be my last words about that, I have been patient enough. It's not my job to teach people how to read sources properly like I already did many times in that same thread. Not my fault if some want to clinch to some narrative for whatever reasons and ignore reality. I won't drag the discussion much further, I proved my points many times and everything has been said at this point.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You think all of those things are free ? It costs money and prove Sony is putting some money behind Shenmue 3. Two times you tried to provide contradicting sources, two times it proved Sony is putting money behind the game (the tweet you linked before and that interview).
In what manner, is what is important here. Where is their money going? To what degree?

Having a game at E3 is mutually beneficial, and doesn't really add a cost to Sony especially when it's an independent project. So far, Sony has only uploaded a couple of videos to their YouTube channel and posted a couple of tweets about Shenmue III, maybe blogged about it once, which is... costly, you reckon? Gio Corsi and Adam Boyes between them, took a handful of flights to Japan over the years to see Yu Suzuki and presumably check up on the status of the project... not outrageous spending over a few years. Technical support is given to developers within the PlayStation ecosystem. Sony's support on SIII doesn't require them to send over a team of people to spend months with Ys Net actually "making" the game, and that support cannot be too costly when it's something they also provide for a lot of developers on their platforms. Sony is only overseeing the PS4 port (not the whole project) and providing solutions to any problems that Ys Net cannot solve on their own. If you think that amounts to a ton of money, manpower or actually influences the project in any major way from its beginnings to now, I have a bridge to sell you.

By using a tweet confirming Sony is in fact funding the game and a 2015 interview that also confirm it ?
Do we explicitly know what that Sony money is going towards, especially now that Deep Silver is the global publisher?

Last edited:

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's really strange to me how many people hate and want to see this franchise burn. It's not hard to just scroll on down to a different topic.
A niche Japanese series that bucks big publisher trends at that. Its increased a little since yakuza gained some fans and for some reason it's a pick a side situation when both series are niche. We can have thousands of shooters but we can only have yakuza or shenmue? If you're a yakuza fan you should be cheering on shenmue 3's success even if you're not a fan.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
We can have thousands of shooters but we can only have yakuza or shenmue?
Thinking about it like that makes it even more ridiculous, doesn't it? Almost 2 decades without a sequel to this series, and some Yakuza fans are scared to let it encroach on their "territory" even though both games are not even that similar beyond the surface.

Apr 21, 2018
As a fan of Shenmue that backed the kickstarter campaing, Im moderate excited to play one more Shenmue game. No hype because its a 6 Million budget game + some more added after the kickstarted campaign ended, when Shenmue 2 had a 40+ Million budget. So im not expecting to be the best thing ever. But from what i seen and read, it will be a shenmue game true to his roots, and thats all i need it to be.

Hopefully the game gets a bigger marketing push close to launch. Right now all the news i get are from the kickstarter updates they keep sending to backers.
Don't worry, Shenmue 2 was certainly not a 40 million budget. The 47 millions of Shenmue 1 seems to cover Shenmue Saturn, a part of Shenmue 2 (Shenmue first trailer) and even material for the original and the new Shenmue 3 (YS net currently have access to the expensive material).

21th century also offers tremendous economy to Suzuki through the powerful UE4. If i'm correct, it should be extremenly expensive having such tools but it costs peanuts to YS for the moment. (Epic only charges developpers with % of sales). I'm not 100% confident about this last argument but the point is , it's probably much more more cheaper than before.

In addition, Sammy gave a 25 millions investment for Shenmue Online, it's pretty obvious, ideas, concepts developped by Suzuki at the time will be used in Shenmue 3.
Shenmue 3 is unlikely a 6 or 7 million dollars game, that's for sure.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
Thinking about it like that makes it even more ridiculous, doesn't it? Almost 2 decades without a sequel to this series, and some Yakuza fans are scared to let it encroach on their "territory" even though both games are not even that similar beyond the surface.

Yeah the constant Shenmue bashing by Yakuza fanboys is just weird and annoying.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
A niche Japanese series that bucks big publisher trends at that. Its increased a little since yakuza gained some fans and for some reason it's a pick a side situation when both series are niche. We can have thousands of shooters but we can only have yakuza or shenmue? If you're a yakuza fan you should be cheering on shenmue 3's success even if you're not a fan.

Yeah, the Yakuza vs. Shenmue war is weird too, because while they share some similarities, they offer largely different experiences. As a fan of both series, and as a huge SEGA fan in general, it makes me happy that they're both technically under the same umbrella. Plus, it's not like you have to pick one IP to live and the other to die, lol.

Feb 2, 2019
In what manner, is what is important here. Where is their money going? To what degree?

Having a game at E3 is mutually beneficial, and doesn't really add a cost to Sony especially when it's an independent project. So far, Sony has only uploaded a couple of videos to their YouTube channel and posted a couple of tweets about Shenmue III, maybe blogged about it once, which is... costly, you reckon? Gio Corsi and Adam Boyes between them, took a handful of flights to Japan over the years to see Yu Suzuki and presumably check up on the status of the project... not outrageous spending over a few years. Technical support is given to developers within the PlayStation ecosystem. Sony's support on SIII doesn't require them to send over a team of people to spend months with Ys Net actually "making" the game, and that support cannot be too costly when it's something they also provide for a lot of developers on their platforms. Sony is only overseeing the PS4 port (not the whole project) and providing solutions to any problems that Ys Net cannot solve on their own. If you think that amounts to a ton of money, manpower or actually influences the project in any major way from its beginnings to now, I have a bridge to sell you.

Do we explicitly know what that Sony money is going towards, especially now that Deep Silver is the global publisher?

That's moving goalpost. My point was just Sony putting money being the game, thus funding it, despite what a lot of people were still thinking to this day. I never stated how much, to what extent or where their money were going and I never implied in the slightest that Sony were fully funding it. That's another subject entirely and I was just correcting Spag in the first place.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I think fans are hyped that they finally get a sequel and Yu Suzuki finally gets a chance to make another Shenmue. I'm sure this game'll not be for everyone so I don't know why detractors are so keen on hoping the game fails.

Oct 30, 2017
To be quite fair, it's hard to ignore a thread where even the people who are part of the small bubble that actually wanted this game to exist are worried about hype not being there so close to release... Hard for those who like it and especially hard for those who don't.

I'm not on either side, but I admit it's pretty funny to watch people getting really upset about things being said about an unreleased game.
It's a game some of us have waited nearly our entire lifetimes to play. It's hard not to feel a little emotional about it. It's also why some feel under attack every time people come in and Shenmue bash. People are really invested in these games.

That's because you don't understand that we are in a discussion board and that discussion doesn't have to revolve around people who like stuff. Everyone is free to discuss about every subjects, even games they don't like.

If you want to stay in your protective gum bubble and don't want to get confrontational opinions, stay out of internet.

How presumptuous can one poster be about well, all things apparently? Certainly everyone understands how discussions work. It's basic human functionality. Are you then placing me in some form of subhuman category? I could reframe my statements but it seems your reading comprehension skills appear to be lacking. Which I'll try and help you out with in a moment. It's either that or you simply can't make the connections correctly so you fill in the blanks with your own subtext. Weird.

Well anyway.

Read again, it's clear as day he's speaking about financial support.

Words from Yu Suzuki from Shenmue Kickstarter :

Sony is helping in production, marketing end and also publising support. What do you think production means ?

This is where I am going to try and help your comprehension skills.

Production help could simply mean they've provided Suzuki with ps4 tools to help him with the process or information on how to port it over to the console. Who knows other than Suzuki? Not you for sure.

And to clarify I'll highlight the quote you provided yet failed to comprehend. Emphasis mine to help you out with the parts that you can't understand or simply ignored to fit your own narrative.

Suzuki said,
"Sony AND Shibuya Productions"

"Their investment in (AND support of)"

"their assistance on the production AND MARKETING END"

So let me sum it up for you.

Suzuki is talking about two companies here and sort of generalizing their specific involvement bouncing back and forth between the two in a casual way so as not to reveal specific business arrangements out of respect and or legal obligations.

See? Easy. You just have to read it AND comprehend it.

But please continue with your pointless negative mindset for no other reason than the fact that you prefer to be negative in a "where's the hype" thread.

Just remember, no matter how much you try, no matter how much negativity you spew, you will never be able to surmount the immense love people have for Shenmue. And any time any Shenmue related news is revealed the hype will rise. It will always be there, always. Shenmue 3 is coming soon. And guess what? Part 4 is after that. So strap yourself in bucko. It's gonna be a long ride.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
That's moving goalpost. My point was just Sony putting money being the game, thus funding it, despite what a lot of people were still thinking to this day. I never stated how much, to what extent or where their money were going and I never implied in the slightest that Sony were fully funding it. That's another subject entirely and I was just correcting Spag in the first place.
An original quote:
Also, you're wrong : Sony is funding the game. There's no indication that Sony funding isn't going to development.

It appears to me that you tried to sell the idea that Sony's contributions must be going to the development of the game because there's "no indication that it isn't" (which is a false positive), and as we peel back the layers of this onion, your subsequent comments have actually been moving goalposts to make any and all involvement from Sony as being "funding the game", even though your original argument was that it goes to development. The quote you used to try and prove that Sony are putting their money into the development of the game, also says that Sega (a company that has no financial involvement) is also providing "support". If you believe I'm moving goalposts, then so are you.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA

I've read all this. Sony putting any money into development of Shenmue 3 is pure speculation. Until they divulge how much they invested financially I'm going to (safely) assume its nothing - outside of Sony employees also contributing to the kickstarter and/or as slacker backers.

Why would they let Yu program on friggen Unreal 4? It makes no sense.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

Being genuinely worried about the game is one thing. In fact I can even understand why people would hate on games. Like if it has a negative impact on the industry ( Microtransactions, DLC,money grubbing tactics ) or that it was so bad that it killed a good franchise.

But there are posters here who are hating and hoping it would fail , because they couldn't bear other people talking positively about it ? That just sounds extremely pathetic to me.

Yeah the constant Shenmue bashing by Yakuza fanboys is just weird and annoying.

Maybe they are insecure that if Shenmue actually becomes successful , it might mean less Yakuza games.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The good thing about the Kickstarter is that (presumably) the game is basically paid for already. It's not like they need X amount of sales to break even, is it? Obviously they'll be wanting extra sales of course and I think it will do alright there. Reading the Edge article it feels like we really are getting Shenmue 3 and not something that has wandered miles off course and too interested in following the current game design trends. Seriously there must be a gap in the market there. Life Is Strange is the closest thing I can think of to Shenmue and it's still a pretty rare game, Shenmue can attract a similar audience.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Sony supports lots of third party indie games in the same way Epic might support someone using Unreal. Epic isn't "funding" every Unreal 4 game any more than Sony is "funding" every game that comes to their systems. This thread is driving me nuts lol

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The good thing about the Kickstarter is that (presumably) the game is basically paid for already. It's not like they need X amount of sales to break even, is it? Obviously they'll be wanting extra sales of course and I think it will do alright there. Reading the Edge article it feels like we really are getting Shenmue 3 and not something that has wandered miles off course and too interested in following the current game design trends. Seriously there must be a gap in the market there. Life Is Strange is the closest thing I can think of to Shenmue and it's still a pretty rare game, Shenmue can attract a similar audience.
They've received millions in funding on top of the Kickstarter amount, from Shibuya Productions and Deep Silver, so they definitely need to sell a few copies to break even. You've also got to factor in that SEGA will be scraping a percentage of every sale, as well as Epic's UE4 license fee (5% I believe). But yes, they did receive a "free" $7 million (minus backer rewards) which obviously helps. So it could be a long road to profitability for Shenmue III...or it could be a strong seller out of the gate. It all hinges on the quality of the game.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017

Most of the time when people wish ill things for an unreleased game, it's considered console wars and tends to result in bans.

Shenmue 3 isn't tied to any console (Sony is providing a pittance for marketing of the PS4 version -- allegedly), so it's fair game to shit on!

The people getting upset is a response to that. Turns out, "I hope your favorite game is trash" elicits an emotional response in some people!

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Most of the time when people wish ill things for an unreleased game, it's considered console wars and tends to result in bans.

Shenmue 3 isn't tied to any console (Sony is providing a pittance for marketing of the PS4 version -- allegedly), so it's fair game to shit on!

The people getting upset is a response to that. Turns out, "I hope your favorite game is trash" elicits an emotional response in some people!
What's weird is that why is this even a thing. If one doesn't have any emotional attachment to the earlier games just skip the thread.

Why is there a need for incessant and undeserved negativity?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Shenmue 2 for the first time since I played the European Dreamcast version (playing on PC). Era, what the hell is up with the music? Some of the instruments are way out of tune. Is there any way to fix it? A fan patch or something? It's awful!

I guess I could emulate but DC emulation was pretty rough the last time I tried it.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I didn't grow up with the Shenmue craze and it was only last year or so when I got round to finally playing it. Honestly, it's alright? I can understand how it would of been super impressive for the time but it's not one of those games I would want to play again.

Shenmue 3 lost me a while back. To be honest, I'm only looking forward to the music.
Awful take, Bro. (Congrats on the IGN crap tho)

Having played Shenmue 1 and 2 for the first time with the HD remaster, I'm pretty damn excited for Shenmue 3. Much more excited than I was when I decided to blindly back it on kickstarter despite not having played the previous games, anyway.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Shenmue 2 for the first time since I played the European Dreamcast version (playing on PC). Era, what the hell is up with the music? Some of the instruments are way out of tune. Is there any way to fix it? A fan patch or something? It's awful!

I guess I could emulate but DC emulation was pretty rough the last time I tried it.

IIRC they lost the audio files from the game for the remake. They ripped the audio out of the CD of the Dreamcast game already compressed.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Having played Shenmue 1 and 2 for the first time with the HD remaster, I'm pretty damn excited for Shenmue 3. Much more excited than I was when I decided to blindly back it on kickstarter despite not having played the previous games, anyway.
Lol I'm almost the exact same story. Pledged $60 despite never touching the previous ones and loved the remasters

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC they lost the audio files from the game for the remake. They ripped the audio out of the CD of the Dreamcast game already compressed.
That's true but that only applies to voiceovers. Shenmue's music is actually something like a midi system where the game synthesizes the instruments. A big benefit is that it requires far less space on a disc than redbook audio or whatever developers were using in 2001. So the developers of the new port apparently screwed up some of the instrumentation and certain instruments are out of tune.

It's super distracting. It's especially weird considering that it didn't happen in the new Shenmue 1 port.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Sony supports lots of third party indie games in the same way Epic might support someone using Unreal. Epic isn't "funding" every Unreal 4 game any more than Sony is "funding" every game that comes to their systems. This thread is driving me nuts lol

Heck, the very fact that the quotes are from Gio Corci, aka head of 3rd party Productions, is pretty telling what kind of support it's getting.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
It's super distracting. It's especially weird considering that it didn't happen in the new Shenmue 1 port.
It did, actually. Though it's been ironed out more effectively than with Shenmue II.

Just gotta chalk it up to poor documentation of how the Dreamcast's sound chip worked. Even Shenmue II on Dreamcast to Shenmue II Xbox had some level of sound issues with missing instruments.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It did, actually. Though it's been ironed out more effectively than with Shenmue II.
Oh wow. I only played the Shenmue 1 port now so I guess I missed the launch problems. I didn't notice anything out of tune but I don't remember the game well enough to pick out missing instruments or other smaller issues.

The Shenmue 2 nonsense is enough to stop my playthrough. I suppose the game is no longer being patched? Sucks.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London

Thanks for the congrats.

Also, it's just one of those thing's isn't it? Matter of opinion and such. I just could not get into Shenmue. It was a fun game to stream whilst I was doing it but other than that, I couldn't see myself finishing it and Shenmue 3 seems the same.

I'll obviously like to try it out but I'm not fussed or excited. The only thing I am looking forward to is the music. Big fan of the music in Shenmue but that's about it.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Oh wow. I only played the Shenmue 1 port now so I guess I missed the launch problems. I didn't notice anything out of tune but I don't remember the game well enough to pick out missing instruments or other smaller issues.

The Shenmue 2 nonsense is enough to stop my playthrough. I suppose the game is no longer being patched? Sucks.
Is what it is unfortunately. It's a lot better than it was at launch regardless.

I'm not sure who said it or exactly what kind of technical mumbo jumbo they had to back it up, but I believe someone who dived into the code said D3T basically had to manually tune songs blind and hope for the best. It's just another complication of poorly documented hardware and games that were never designed with leaving the Dreamcast in mind.

Shenmue II is a great game though, so don't let it stop you finishing it. Past a certain point I'm pretty sure the music is 95-100% fine? I haven't played through the game since patch 1.2 on PC either.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
You are running the latest build from November, right? If you bought it on Steam you should be. At initial release it was pretty awful and many songs were out of tune, but as of November almost all of the out of tune problems were fixed and the remaining problems are just things that sound different from the originals but not absolutely grating like they were originally.

Regarding the differences, I don't think it's entirely down to hardware. d3t kept referring to the music as "MIDI" in patch notes, but that's not very accurate. MIDI is a communication protocol (and corresponding file format) for sending information about notes and how they're played between music hardware. It doesn't contain the samples (instruments) themselves. Shenmue I & II music used AM2's custom DTPK digital tracker format, which contained ADPCM samples along with the information on how to play those samples. It has more in common with something like Impulse Tracker modules than actual MIDI.

On Dreamcast, AM2's sound driver ran directly on the AICA sound chip to play back the music. The hardware did the channel mixing and digital effects, while the actual driver was responsible for telling the hardware what audio samples to play when and what effects (pitch, bends, echo, etc.) to apply to those samples. d3t stated in an interview that they didn't receive source code to some elements. What follows is an educated guess, but perhaps the sound driver was one of those things they didn't get code for because it wasn't specific to Shenmue and the same driver was used in other AM2 games. That would mean they'd have to figure out how to playback the files themselves and what all of the various commands / effects the format allowed to be applied to the individual samples. Thus fixing individual songs might have required them to implement effects / commands that they hadn't figured out yet or trying to approximate them. (I could actually just look at the build and try to figure out if it shares any similarity to the original driver, but it would be mostly a waste of time.)

Prior to release I had speculated that they would probably just record the original tracks rather than try and simulate the original sound driver. I was impressed to discover that they actually put forth the effort to recreate it, although it took them several patches to get it mostly right.