• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Those "Greatest E3 of all time" statements about 2015 sure haven't aged well.

1 of the holy trinity releasing to poor reviews, the other broken at launch and the third not releasing at all.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Shenmue was always a very very particular game.

A game people who never played the original talked of in legend. I honestly liked the slow and precise gameplay and large periods of just walking about exploring.

But for modern gamers it was always going to be a big ask.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Just glanced at Jeuxvideo who have been notoriously hard on the series. "constant need for money which is frustrating". Lol erm. This review reeks of them rushing the game. Spend 15 minutes collecting and selling herbs, go fishing for 20 minutes and you'll be set. If you're frustrated you don't have money in the game then you're not really doing stuff to make money or are just blowing it on dumb shit. It's also rare that you *need* much money at all really.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1 of the holy trinity releasing to poor reviews, the other broken at launch and the third not releasing at all.
Pretty much. It's similar to how the Switch reveal received a very negative reception but is generally looked back fondly today due to the games and concept delivering.

Oct 30, 2017
The reviews that are coming out aren't even that negative. The scores are low, but they all basically state, "Acquired taste, only for Shenmue fans." Can't say I'm surprised.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Every review should give two scores, one for casuals and one for Shenmue veterans.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the balls to barely get a sequel 15+ years since the last and barely move the story forward...
My thoughts exactly. I know he said this ahead of time (that it would be 40% by the end of pt3), and I'm not saying that's good or bad... Eh, nevermind. Yeah I am: it's fucking ludicrous. But hey, it is what it is. And it will definitely go down as one of the most bizarre development tales in the history of the medium.

Oct 25, 2017
Once again the "a 7 out of 10 can't be good it's TRASH" crowd dancing around the scores. Christ how I hate the 9=GOTY, <9 = Garbage review scale we have.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Not gonna lie, even if this game got 3s and 4s across the board I would STILL want to see it through to the end.

These scores are about what I expected, maybe slightly lower.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Those Review Excerts are vexing to read.

"Manages to Do exactly as intended!" - 5 / 10
"Perfectly captures the feel of the old games!" - 6 / 10
…..

Just feels like a stupid way to judge something. Especially in a world where many TRY to capture the classics, but fail due to forced attempts to appeal to other, expanded audiences. Or because the designers have just lost their way, or diminished in ability. The fact this game AVOIDS those obvious pitfalls, which would be forced on a product that was made just as a purely commercial product, sounds worthy of praise. Crowdfunding SHOULD be about providing the CROWD who FUNDED it with what they wanted. Not taking the money, and using it to make something divergent from the original.

Not saying the game needs to have 9s and 10s. Just saying those scores, and those words, don't gel to me. It's like they're fishing for "Accolade trailer" quotes, but not actually acclaiming the product in the end. Feels fake.

I'll rarely understand why I want a reviewer to try and bring my passionate hobby down to a layman's simple understanding. There's an audience for that, but I'm surely not it. I want them to give me the inside scoop on why something is doing what it does, and focus on it's strengths, if they exist. A perspective that can only be delivered by someone who adores the subject, and sees a product for what it is intending to do, not what they think it should be. But there seem to be so many more average nobody reviews, rather than professional tier fans doing review work. People put more weight on snarky backhanded insults than simple honest praise, and that never jives with me.

Ahhh well, it just makes the good ones stick out more, when you find them. But it's definitely a reason why I feel many Metacritic style aggregates are largely useless. There's so many plain, cynical perspectives just regurgitating the same uninspired ideas.

The interesting previews for this game make it sound as if it achieved many things that sound way above budget expectations. All the unique NPCs and Shops sound like the kind of things I look for in big budget games, but am normally disappointed to find missing. Sprawling procedurally generated open worlds often lack hand-crafted attention to detail. Shenmue III seems to aspire for that rare meticulous design style much more earnestly. Just knowing that has me quite a bit more pumped than I expected. Also the mentions about how doing things within the world actually have an effect (such as your delivery job actually making new things appear and change in the rest of the world) sound so much like that Dreamcast level love that made the systems games so hard to forget.

Pogogacy

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Our review is live over at Hey Poor Player. We scored the game a 5 out of 5 saying, " Shenmue III is for anyone who looks back on Dreamcast and PS2-era games fondly. It's for anyone who loves semi-realistic RPGs or who wants something new in a world full of dungeon-crawlers, post-apocalyptic wanderers, or space cowboys. For anyone who thinks there's a wealth of untapped potential in the not-too-distant past when it comes to storytelling. Who romanticizes the mundane in the same way Miyazaki movies capture the magic in minutiae. Who grew up in 1987 Japan, Hong Kong, or China and wants to walk familiar roads. Who loves the 80s. Who loves martial arts. Who loves Asia. Who loves video games as a whole. "

You can find our full coverage here: https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2019/11/19/shenmue-iii-review-ps4/

I don't know if this counts towards Metacritic, but can we at least get it added to the OP? Birdseye

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
U mean because the studio to make 3 was disbanded and the Yu hasn't made a game since. But now we kickstarted him into making a game now that has a full team of developers. So no it won't take that long again now, it baffles me how so many of y'all are ignorant to the history of this game or how once dead franchise are reborn again
U mean because the studio to make 3 was disbanded and the Yu hasn't made a game since. But now we kickstarted him into making a game now that has a full team of developers. So no it won't take that long again now, it baffles me how so many of y'all are ignorant to the history of this game or how once dead franchise are reborn again
I was being facetious.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This game is in a serious need of a " a hideo kojima" logo on top of it, it becames an instant classic.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I helped revive a series for Penny Arcade. They wanted to do 2 more games. I wanted to combine the 2 planned games into 1 since I thought that fans would want the conclusion right away and because if the 1st new game didn't do well, I didn't want to be on the hook for making a second one that would probably do worse. In the end, we made the 2 games, the first one sold okay, the second one sold a little worse, and that was that.

I feel like both sides of the story ending argument have merit and discounting the other side as not true fans is non-productive and gatekeepery. Yes, rushing through to an ending isn't very like Shenmue. On the other hand, wanting a conclusion to a saga that started 2 decades ago isn't ridiculous either, especially when there's no guarantee whether or not a 4th game will even get financed or just how many more games Suzuki is planning on.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017

They're aging just fine.

Last Guardian turned out to be an amazing game for a lot of Team ICO fans, and Shenmue III is incredibly faithful to previous games in the series.

Shenmue is clearly not for me or you, so why rain on this parade?

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes this game is archaic and yes this is exactly why I love it.

The game isn't modernized at all. Which is a relief to me. Will it gather some low scores? Probably. Don't forget even Shenmue 1 was already slammed here and there for being a boring slog. Shenmue 3 is no different, 18 years later.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The game is great but the story is soooo slowwwwwww.

I'm a few days in.
So you're not far enough to judge. Dude, the beginning of both I and II are slow. Some fans like to paint Shenmue II as a fast-paced adventure but it takes ages to get going. You're stuck airing out books for like 4 days, and the game doesn't actually pick up pace until you meet Ren.

I just finished Tales of Berseria last week, so Shenmue III is going to look like a multi-million dollar blockbuster production by comparison.
This actually annoys me. Why are the expectations for Shenmue so high? Countless JRPGs come and go where characters stand in one spot the entire game, everything's in text bubbles, faces barely animate etc. but Shenmue comes along and gets picked apart because its hundreds of fully-voiced NPCs have "stiff necks" or whatever. It's dumb.

Yikes, inferior to the originals. I'm struggling to even get through Shenmue 1 right now.
This is simply not true. Some people put the originals on a pedestal and think only AAA will do. A lot of the French coverage for the game, since the very first previews, have had this mentality. They want a "true" hundred million dollar follow-up, which was never going to happen.

Right off the bat, I can tell the endurance system is a bad idea.
It's just completely unnecessary.
It's this game's "weapons break". It is necessary to ensure the player engages with other systems, namely the economy. If you didn't have to buy food you wouldn't have to make money, which means you could completely ignore the game's money-making endeavors until it arbitrarily forces you into them. This was a problem in Shenmue II.

Shenmue HD has metascore 75. How does SHENMUE3 have a score lower than HD remaster
It shouldn't.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah I'm definitely missing the VF-styled combat from the first two games.

What's here is...not good.
The originals combat wasn't good either.

Yes this game is archaic and yes this is exactly why I love it.

The game isn't modernized at all. Which is a relief to me. Will it gather some low scores? Probably. Don't forget even Shenmue 1 was already slammed here and there for being a boring slog. Shenmue 3 is no different, 18 years later.
Archaic? I wish it were a strict template copy of Shenmue II. Instead they've thrown in numerous modern features of which just about all have fallen flat on their face and made the game less fun. They've even gone backwards and nixed stuff found in the first two games like dialogue/cutscene skipping, NPCs leading you around, and some extremely drawn out roundabout system of turning gambling wins into money. This game is easily worse than its predecessors.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I never had an issue with airing out books. I do have an issue with being stuck in a town the size of sekigahara and not being allowed to fully explore unless the game dictates it.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually quite incredible that this game manages to have basically the same UI as One Finger Death Punch.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
This actually annoys me. Why are the expectations for Shenmue so high? Countless JRPGs come and go where characters stand in one spot the entire game, everything's in text bubbles, faces barely animate etc. but Shenmue comes along and gets picked apart because its hundreds of fully-voiced NPCs have "stiff necks" or whatever. It's dumb.

I do get the feeling that some people only play the latest expensive AAA production.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
From everything I've seen from the game, and as someone who enjoyed 1 and 2, 3 is looking like everything I wanted it to be.

- Continuation of the story, with all the same faults
- Crazy bad English VA that has super funny moments to sit through. I'm amazed precisely tone is retained to the original
- The same expansive in depth kind of world to explore, with all kinds of small aspects to flavour the world in the way Shenmue games have done

I'm confident I'll enjoy it as much if not more than the previous games.

For new folk, this will either click with them in the same way, or they just can't find it enjoyable.
Pretty much the same as Shenmue 1 and 2 then.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
After waiting for 18 years i was always going to play this, reviews be damned and if the early 50-70 reviews are indicative of the final score i am fine with that, at least it doesn't seem to be a raging dumpster fire, from the previews and reviews i have read it seems a lot like the old games, a bit like the game has been stuck in time, and that's kinda what i want from it.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
And Shenmue has been made for a fraction of the budget of a AAA game in 2019. Quite frankly what they've made with the budget they had is impressive.
I was replying to people critizising Shenmue 3 mostly play AAA games... I agree with you but I don't think fans are not happy because it's not AAA. My point was 1 and 2 were AAA people didn't even bother, they won't bother today. Enjoy the game and it's all that matter.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Well if nothing else, it looks like it's scoring higher than I thought it would.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

This this this !!!!... Reviewers have no issues rating AA games 9s and 10s with poor animation,PS2 graphics,badly voiced lines..etc. But here suddenly Shenmue is held to AAA standards when its a kickstarter game.