• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the biggest game I can remember where reviews are almost irrelevant. It was made for fans, financed by them and I would almost expect that some people expect a bit of the classic jank.

It's not for me but I'm glad it exits.

Jun 12, 2018
User Warned: unmarked spoilers
Shenmue 3

Start game
Learn about Chinese culture
Train in martial arts and try to get better by training with various masters
Deepen the bond and learn about shenhua
Unravel the mystery behind shenhua
Learn about the mirrors
Learn about your father's background
Retrace your fathers footsteps into china
Learn and develop relationships with the villagers
Track down shenhua's father
Learn about the chi you men and their dealings
Track down lan di and avenge father
Learn about Niao sun
Develop relation with ren
Etc etc

Media expectation
Start game
Fight lan di

"game doesnt advance story"

Lol

Also yu suzuki states 100 times this does not conclude the story. 99% of fans are like "yeah thats cool"

The internet "Fans wanted a conclusion. How dare he!!!!" *facepalm*

Last edited by a moderator:

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I expected more reviews by now. When are they all hitting or is it a case of reviewers have to buy it themselves and reviews will trickle in slowly?

That said, it's new Shenmue, reviews don't really matter to those who have waited over a decade for a new chapter.

Jun 12, 2018
Also many thanks to the Era members who have no interest in the series but wish it and the fans well.

It makes a change from the usual toxic nonsense we get in shenmue threads here on era

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes at these not advancing the story enough takes. One review said this and it's not true at all. I'd be interested to know what "advancing the story" means to the person who said that? You literally learn a shit ton in the first area of this game, I'd say on equal measure to the whole of 2. Then there's the whole giant second city area that progresses the story even more. I have no idea what they expect or want if they're saying this.

Sorry if you already mentioned this but how's the game world size compared to Shenmue II?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I feel like people who are complaining about this game not completing the story were never really invested in the first place, because if you had been following the game since its announcement at all you would know that it was never the plan. It would not be possible to wrap the remainder of the plot up in one game in a satisfactory manner on a Kickstarter budget. Also, the whole "16 chapters" thing does not mean there were ever plans for 16 games or anything close to that.

Oct 27, 2017
I think some folks are upset the game turned out pretty good after spending four years trashing the game in hundreds of negative Shenmue threads. Kind of threw a spanner in the works...

Shenmue is one of the few game series where people who don't like the games don't seem content to just not like them and move on, but actively have to go out of their way to ensure they articulate how much they don't like the games in any thread that even remotely touches on the games.

Oct 30, 2017
They're really mad the game isn't bad. I've seen the same few posters in every "negative" Shenmue thread. Shame Yu Suzuki proved he still has it. Dunno why anyone would want to root against something so desperately but what can you do?

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if you already mentioned this but how's the game world size compared to Shenmue II?

It's hard to say, but even Niaowu, the second city area, provides those huge city vibes on Hong Kong from Shenmue II, lots of buildings to enter, hundreds of shops and NPC's, secret pathways, hidden alleys, surrounding gardens, lakes as well as the vibrant street market and shopping areas. The game is huge and even the first Bailu Village area was massive which I didn't expect. There's so much to see and do. I knew Yu Suzuki said it was bigger than 2 but I wasn't sure what to expect but it feels bigger for sure. Nobody will be underwhelmed.

The second city area really provided those Shenmue vibes of being lost in a city and having so much to see and do. Lots of details and things to explore which I like.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This is probably the biggest game I can remember where reviews are almost irrelevant. It was made for fans, financed by them and I would almost expect that some people expect a bit of the classic jank.

It's not for me but I'm glad it exits.
Yeah, I could careless about the reviews honestly. I am taking off tomorrow just to play it and I haven't done that since MGS 4.

evilcar

Oct 25, 2017
Fully expected reviews to be in this range because this game was more of a love letter to it's fans and so far it has not disappointed me.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
From my first day with the game, I would say it's charming, atmospheric and relaxing with some dodgy pacing.

Looking after the stamina can be repetitive but doing the move training in a forest I find to be kind of soothing. The battles are a bit more cumbersome but you learn to adapt to its new RPG systems. The voice acting is miles ahead of Shenmue's 2 dub but Ryo is the same and the dialogue is often amusing in its awkwardness which you can argue is a positive or negative.

The graphics criticism I can't agree, the environments look lovely and most of their NPCs have their own charm and character. I think there should be room in the industry for lower budget 3D epics. I would love a Legacy of Kain sequel with a lower budget or another cult franchises that wouldn't otherwise get made.

From my experience with the game, it's rather nice and not another Mighty Number 9 or Yooka Laylee. If you're a fan I would definitely buy it and not be put off if its gets a sub 80s metacritic, and even if it's probably a worse game than the great Shenmue 2. I hope it is overall very well received well so there's more chance to get another one.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I expected more reviews by now. When are they all hitting or is it a case of reviewers have to buy it themselves and reviews will trickle in slowly?

That said, it's new Shenmue, reviews don't really matter to those who have waited over a decade for a new chapter.

I know that some people didn't get review codes until yesterday. Expect some reviews later today when the NA embargo is up.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I haven't started my copy yet, as I'm currently halfway through my Shenmue II HD playthrough (other games kept coming out and I kept putting it back!), but the feeling I'm getting is that the story spends a lot of time unveiling mystery and backstory? I'm thinking maybe it's like RWBY Vol 6, where people complained that things didn't move forward much, but we actually learned the entire history of the world and came to understand the beginnings of the conflict at the heart of the show.

Jun 12, 2018
At this point the pattern is all too familiar on era. Different shenmue thread. Same driveby posters. Hopefully one day, everyone can respect each other and the different tastes in gaming.

It wouldnt even cross my mind to go into another community and try to crap on their series or wish it illwill. That's toxic.

I digress though. Im going back to playing shenmue 3. Have an absolute blast everyone and enjoy. Today is a once in a lifetime celebration. Peace and blessings

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Nope.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you don't know what you're talking about it's probably a good idea not to post nonsense.
I just wanted more Shenmue and that's what I've got, I couldn't be happier.

There's a lot more to the story than a simple tale of revenge, I can't imagine any true fan expected the story to be wrapped up in one more game.

I've seen the majority of fans say they want Yu Suzuki to do what he wants to execute his vision. Not seen a lot of fans calling for the end of the story with 3 to be honest.

So you believe fans are okay with not advancing much of the story and having no idea when or if it will be ever continued?

Let's be realistic. Another Kickstart campaign won't move as much as the original. If the game is targeting only old time fans and is not suitable for newcomers (as the previews/reviews point out), is there a market for many new self funded entries till this eventual conclusion?

I'm a fan too, and I wanted to see this conclusion instead of this uncertain future again.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
The slow fades/cuts in the middle of cutscenes are really bad. The two characters will be walking down a path in the cutscene and then it will do a slow fade to another scene of them having the same conversation but they are now stopped and facing each other, then it will do a slow fade back to them walking again. There is no transition between them walking and stopping for that to make sense.

It's definitely lost some of its 'cinematic' quality, in a way that feels worse than the Dreamcast games.

I am still enjoying it as someone who has had a deep curiosity/appreciation for Shenmue, but some of it is just pretty bad. So be aware of that at least.

I would go as far to say maybe don't get this game unless you felt strongly enough to kickstart it in the first place.

Personally I don't regret that and I'm happy they've very much managed to retain much of the spirit and vibe that makes Shenmue so unique.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
This is going to be $35 on black friday at best buy (USA) I think, right?

I did see people post pics of that cool Dragon medallion they got, that was neat

I played 1 & 2 last year (first time) and hated it so doubt i'll ever pickup 3 but I'll hopefully watch a few streams. A few people streaming on twitch but under 2k viewers total at the moment.

Yep, I'm waiting for $35 from Best Buy on Black Friday.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right. The game will please those that love the other games in the series and want more.

Will start playing it as soon as I finish my current replay of the first two.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I love how when anyone says anything remotely bad about Shenmue they get jumped on and the rebuttal is this is for "true fans" and nothing else matters. Yeah, ok.

I don't think 3 is going to review well at all. From the footage I've seen, mostly from Easy Allies, it looks like crap imo. After all this time I can't believe this isn't the end to the story either. Yu Suzuki is a mad man.

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to say, but even Niaowu, the second city area, provides those huge city vibes on Hong Kong from Shenmue II, lots of buildings to enter, hundreds of shops and NPC's, secret pathways, hidden alleys, surrounding gardens, lakes as well as the vibrant street market and shopping areas. The game is huge and even the first Bailu Village area was massive which I didn't expect. There's so much to see and do. I knew Yu Suzuki said it was bigger than 2 but I wasn't sure what to expect but it feels bigger for sure. Nobody will be underwhelmed.

The second city area really provided those Shenmue vibes of being lost in a city and having so much to see and do. Lots of details and things to explore which I like.
Sounds great, thanks!

krg

Oct 27, 2017
So you believe fans are okay with not advancing much of the story and having no idea when or if it will be ever continued?

Let's be realistic. Another Kickstart campaign won't move as much as the original. If the game is targeting only old time fans and is not suitable for newcomers (as the previews/reviews point out), is there a market for many new self funded entries till this eventual conclusion?

I'm a fan too, and I wanted to see this conclusion instead of this uncertain future again.

I strongly doubt you are...real fans just wanted more Shenmue. If it takes 2 more games to finish the story, fine by me.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
After playing 4-5 hours today, I disagree that the characters "look like dummies". They aren't particularly realistic-looking -- a stylistic choice -- but they're expressive and interesting and unique-looking. They look way better than I was expecting, given some of the pre-launch materials.

As self-indulgent as that flowery sentense? 8-)

I said this in the OT, but the whole "I love it, but it's shit! And you're gunna hate it!" thing is so weird. If you like it...maybe others will too (shock, horror)?! All this pretending to know what people will and won't like, in a medium that is inherently subjective, is such a waste of time. A review is but an opinion. Just because there's a score attached doesn't mean it's any more objective, or representative of the common gamer.

We literally just went through this with Death Stranding where tons of reviewers were like "THIS GAME IS AMAZING but it also really sucks its just soooooooooooo obtuse and weird" and then it actually came out and it's really not like that at all haha

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
consensus so far... 'it's not a game for everyone'

The new 2019 tag line?
To be fair Shenmue has been the Marmite game for the last 20 years, you either find it charming and interesting or rip on it mercifully.

Although I find Yu Suzuki comes across as a smart and humble man, never comes across like a jackass 'you have to be smart enough to get it' so on.

Switch_v85

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, England

We've known for ages that Shenmue 3 wasn't going to conclude the story, I'm fine with that and expect most other fans are too.

Like I said earlier, there's a lot more to Shenmue's story than revenge. I expect the story does advance, we've literally just met Shenhua after two games building up to it. Ryo and Shenhua's relationship alone needs time to develop, a huge part of the story is how they've been destined to meet and change each other's lives.

I'd reserve judgment on the story until you've experienced it.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Shenmue 3

Start game
Learn about Chinese culture
Train in martial arts and try to get better by training with various masters
Deepen the bond and learn about shenhua
Unravel the mystery behind shenhua
Learn about the mirrors
Learn about your father's background
Retrace your fathers footsteps into china
Learn and develop relationships with the villagers
Track down shenhua's father
Learn about the chi you men and their dealings
Track down lan di and avenge father
Learn about Niao sun
Develop relation with ren
Etc etc

Media expectation
Start game
Fight lan di

"game doesnt advance story"

Lol

Also yu suzuki states 100 times this does not conclude the story. 99% of fans are like "yeah thats cool"

The internet "Fans wanted a conclusion. How dare he!!!!" *facepalm*
This a post those ppl would never read and continue to bash again they will never play

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's okay, the game can get a 0/10 I'll live. The first games were very criticized too. Nothing new here.
I remember in PlayStation board people mocking the low polygons on characters. The series was always a laughing stock for most.
I loved my Dreamcast, but couldn't get past Shenmue's cut scenes. The semi-realistic models being rigid and only having their mouth move while talking spoke to a primal part of my brain that simply got creeped out.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game seems to be a solid 65-70, and Im fine with that, is the original shenmue experience, and isnt for everyone (and Im not saying this in a condescending way, I like this series and still I totally understand why not many people like it)

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Came in here expecting plenty of reviews, since, you know, the game is out. What gives?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

So let's say hypothetically… Shenmue III ends up with 68 on Metacritic.

How much worse do you think it would be if Yu Suzuki had to cram in the rest of the chapters into this one, spread the resources he already had by building more locations due to the story? Do you not see how bad that would be? How small would the environments be? How few shops there would be? How few NPCs would be in each area? How awful the pacing would be? How underdeveloped would things be in every single facet of the game? Think about it. Forcing a final game is good for nobody, and the majority of fans know this and appreciate this.