• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
s32019.00_02_20_23.stgujux.jpg

(Source)

Not exactly the freshest or most exciting news but I guess a thread couldn't hurt in the run up to E3.

The game has been rated M, which I'm told is around the equivalent of a 12+/15 or T elsewhere. The game has been rated for very mild impact with sex/sexual references, mild impact for themes and language, and moderate impact for violence.

In case you missed it; Shenmue III will also be playable for press at E3 in two weeks time. Sessions are apparently fully booked, so there should be a healthy batch of impressions to read, alongside whatever new media is provided for public consumption. In February and March this year, there were also hands-off demos for press that resulted in a series of previews that included being the cover story for EDGE. You can read them here: (EDGE, VG 24/7, IGN, Gameblog, RPGsite)

Shenmue III releases on the 27th of August 2019 on PS4 and PC.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Genuinely thought I'd never read that title in my life.

Shenmue III |OT| is going to be a shock, haha. Really can't wait.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I was too young to play Shenmue back when it was released but I tried getting into it a few years ago, it's not for me. I can understand appreciate a lot of things about it but when it comes to playing it, it feels weirdly outdated.

The only thing I really love about the series is the music.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played any Shenmue and don't think I will anytime soon, but Huber's E3 2015 reaction to this game's reveal has always made me teary-eyed with happiness whenever I watch it. So I'm really happy to see this, I feel its fanbase truly deserves it, and I hope y'all cherish this game for a long time.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I was too young to play Shenmue back when it was released but I tried getting into it a few years ago, it's not for me. I can understand appreciate a lot of things about it but when it comes to playing it, it feels weirdly outdated.

The only thing I really love about the series is the music.

I guess you stopped at Shenmue I ?
As for feeling outdated, yes, the movements are rigid indeed, mainly because the OG platform only had one stick and I kinda wish the remaster adressed that. But combat still feels really satisfying and even though the Ryo controls like a tank, I doubt it's something that would harm the enjoyment considering these are slow paced games.
Shenmue II also remains one of the most exceptional games ever made, that keeps on giving and that is faster paced than Shenmue I.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Why can't I preorder this in Japan yet? I mean on Amazon etc
You probably will be able to relatively soon. Pre-orders were soft launched a little while back, but they're gearing up for a push now with the Gamestop/EB Games promotion, and details of a Collector's Edition leaking on Amazon Italy.

I think we don't even know who's the publisher/distributor in Japan.
It's possibly Square Enix. They have a distribution deal with Deep Silver for territories they don't really have a foothold in, like Canada - which is why you can buy Shenmue III on the Square Enix shop, and why SE is listed as the publisher on places like Canadian Walmart.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Worried for a moment I wouldn't be old enough. :D Was just over 10 when the first one came out.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Cue Shenhua rolling her eyes as Ryo awkwardly ogles Niao Sun.

The wait for E3 has been excruciating, but it's almost over.
Hah. It's probably more likely to be Ren. Ryo didn't give Joy a second look, and only got a weird crush on Xiuying because she could kick his ass and teach him sick martial arts moves.

Oct 27, 2017
Almost 18 years since finishing Shenmue II. I don't think I've ever waited this long for anything in my life.
I'm so happy that it's being released.

Shenmue I and II had some very mild innuendo, bad language and a lot of violence. This rating seems in line with the previous game content.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Hah. It's probably more likely to be Ren. Ryo didn't give Joy a second look, and only got a weird crush on Xiuying because she could kick his ass and teach him sick martial arts moves.

Speaking of Xiuying, I really hope she's in Shenmue 3. I'm playing through 2 (HD version) and am once again reminded that she really is one of the best things about that game. I don't know what the probability is, but I'd love to see her return.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Speaking of Xiuying, I really hope she's in Shenmue 3. I'm playing through 2 (HD version) and am once again reminded that she really is one of the best things about that game. I don't know what the probability is, but I'd love to see her return.
She'll be back, but probably not in III. Best you can hope for is the option to call her at the pay phone.

Ryo needs a little bit of separation from his martial arts waifu to grow anyway, plus he has a whole new bunch of masters to humiliate him for being a Kung Fu newbie this time around.

Why not put the rating in the thread title?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's only two sentences deep into the OP, at least.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
honestly I don't remember the past games

what is the reason Ryo left Japan and went to China in the first place?