• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
"The demo begins a short distance from Bailu. Ryo walks on a small dirt road that leads to the village. The first element that is obvious, when we played the first two episodes, is the animation of the protagonist, who is no longer the same. Ryo's "tank" style has given way to a more current and natural animation. On the other hand, a bit like with other technological details in Shenmue III, the animation of the march (we did not see Ryo run) is not what we could see better in modern production, but it is standard and to say the least acceptable."

"The level of quality of the decorations, light effects and other environmental details is however much higher . We notice irregular vegetation, flowers, butterflies. The sky is realistic, the colors shimmering ... It's really pretty. Coupled with this typical aesthetic of the series, perfectly transcribed, we immediately find this unforgettable atmosphere and, despite the change of engine and graphics much more advanced and better defined today, the impression of continuing the adventure exactly where we had left it 18 years ago is already striking. The background music of this first gameplay sequence, which uses the famous Chinese instrument so dear to Yu Suzuki, is not foreign to this observation either. Here we are. Note that the music in question was not taken from Shenmue or Shenmue II , it is unpublished, but some music from previous episodes will however be included in Shenmue III , as you have seen with the recent trailers."

Won't post the whole thing here piecemeal, but this all sounds great.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I really hope the devs can improve the animations to a higher degree before release day rolls around. Bit worrying that they didn't even get to see Ryo running around. Not surprised to hear about the environments though, they've always looked great.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
"The demo begins a short distance from Bailu. Ryo walks on a small dirt road that leads to the village. The first element that is obvious, when we played the first two episodes, is the animation of the protagonist, who is no longer the same. Ryo's "tank" style has given way to a more current and natural animation. On the other hand, a bit like with other technological details in Shenmue III, the animation of the march (we did not see Ryo run) is not what we could see better in modern production, but it is standard and to say the least acceptable."

"The level of quality of the decorations, light effects and other environmental details is however much higher . We notice irregular vegetation, flowers, butterflies. The sky is realistic, the colors shimmering ... It's really pretty. Coupled with this typical aesthetic of the series, perfectly transcribed, we immediately find this unforgettable atmosphere and, despite the change of engine and graphics much more advanced and better defined today, the impression of continuing the adventure exactly where we had left it 18 years ago is already striking. The background music of this first gameplay sequence, which uses the famous Chinese instrument so dear to Yu Suzuki, is not foreign to this observation either. Here we are. Note that the music in question was not taken from Shenmue or Shenmue II , it is unpublished, but some music from previous episodes will however be included in Shenmue III , as you have seen with the recent trailers."

Won't post the whole thing here piecemeal, but this all sounds great.

h3kjEXJ.jpg

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I really hope the devs can improve the animations to a higher degree before release day rolls around. Bit worrying that they didn't even get to see Ryo running around. Not surprised to hear about the environments though, they've always looked great.
I mean they've got five months until going Gold, and the trailer was marked as not being final. Wouldn't be surprised if they did a few more passes over the animation before completion, but as long as people don't expect it to go to AAA levels overnight it should be fine.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Little bit more from the French preview:

"Yu Suzuki points to the clock at the top right corner of the screen and says, " It's just over 7 o'clock in the morning, which explains the brightness and the colors, but also the morning dew, again visible on the vegetation " . A small fade transitions to the next sequence. We are still on the same road, a few tens of meters from the entrance of the village. " This time it's much later in the day and it rained before I captured this new footage, you can notice that by looking at the ground ..."Indeed, the dirt road is now darker and clearly muddy, punctuated by more or less large puddles but also by footprints left here and there."

Man. Shenmue is a series that excels in creating a sense of place, and III will be no different.

Cloudius

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
IGN article states Yu Suzuki says because of the rebuilt battle system, "throws are not in the game at this time." I wonder if that means it would be applied later down the line and couldn't be shown at the event?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
IGN article states Yu Suzuki says because of the rebuilt battle system, "throws are not in the game at this time." I wonder if that means it would be applied later down the line and couldn't be shown at the event?
No throws is pretty bad.... that's disappointing
I read it as they just couldn't get it working as they wanted, so it won't be in this game. But y'know, there's room for interpretation and last minute breakthroughs aren't totally out of the question.

Functionally there's nothing to worry about IMO. We already know there are moves that generate the same effect as a throw (i.e knocking an enemy off their feet and possibly into others with the force of motion). For example:

fight_with_thugs72k2f.jpg

Not going to hold it against them if it's just not something they could get working as intended, for whatever reason.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I read it as they just couldn't get it working as they wanted, so it won't be in this game. But y'know, there's room for interpretation and last minute breakthroughs aren't totally out of the question.

Functionally there's nothing to worry about IMO. We already know there are moves that generate the same effect as a throw (i.e knocking an enemy off their feet and possibly into others with the force of motion). For example:

Not going to hold it against them if it's just not something they could get working as intended, for whatever reason.

Yeah I won't be completely downbeat by it but I liked the throws in S1/2 :(

Still can't wait for the game though!!! I just read some of the previews it sounds like it's in good shape for KS game but maybe could use 1 last delay for some TLC/Polish but will Deep Silver allow it and are the funds even there!.

The Destructoid article that I just read was absolutely abysmal though it's as if they expect it to be a $50 million super game.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Yeah I won't be completely downbeat by it but I liked the throws in S1/2

Still can't wait for the game though!!! I just read some of the previews it sounds like it's in good shape for KS game but maybe could use 1 last delay for some TLC/Polish but will Deep Silver allow it and are the funds even there!
I liked them too, but on the bright side it's an incentive to get to grips with the broader end of Ryo's new moves. I traditionally used throws for crowd control in multi-opponent battles, but now Ryo has a proper 360 degree arc of attack I'll be making better uses of kicks and punches I think.

A delay is a tricky subject at the moment... they've got five months left that could be used very productively to pave over some cracks in the animation, after all, there was a leap in multiple areas from The Prophecy trailer eight months ago. Delaying it a few months puts the game in the firing line of the end-of-year slaughterhouse, and any further than that possibly into next generation territory, though games can still sell well in this environment.

I think we'll know what the situation is by May.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Little bit more from the French preview:

"Yu Suzuki points to the clock at the top right corner of the screen and says, " It's just over 7 o'clock in the morning, which explains the brightness and the colors, but also the morning dew, again visible on the vegetation " . A small fade transitions to the next sequence. We are still on the same road, a few tens of meters from the entrance of the village. " This time it's much later in the day and it rained before I captured this new footage, you can notice that by looking at the ground ..."Indeed, the dirt road is now darker and clearly muddy, punctuated by more or less large puddles but also by footprints left here and there."

Man. Shenmue is a series that excels in creating a sense of place, and III will be no different.
hQTMSE4.gif

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if we transfer are saves from the HD re-release ?
grateful we're not going 3rd act Indigo Prophecy here but still wondering how we avoid that, at least by the next (final?) game
I thought we were getting 5 parts as per the original plan (well, not original original. As that was 15 chapters. But then rolled into 5 games) Not 4 ?

I hope they didn't remove all supernatrual elements from the whole series, going forward.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Nah, save transfers aren't happening as far as we know.

But including Ryo's old moves and I assume a fair collection of his inventory is a nice enough compromise. Can't wait to school fools with the Tornado Kick all over again.

Doin' it for u, Tom.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

I hope they didn't remove all supernatrual elements from the whole series, going forward.

No save transfers as Shenmue III was deep into development when the HD re-releases were conceived. Completely different companies, dev teams etc.

Whatever supernatural elements do/do not exist in Shenmue III have been set in stone from the very beginning. Yu Suzuki hasn't altered his original vision for the story in any major way.

The Destructoid article that I just read was absolutely abysmal though it's as if they expect it to be a $50 million super game.

That article was edge-lord trash. He clearly had it out for the original games and couldn't wait to crap on III because of it.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Anyone expecting supernatural stuff this early is a bit strange to me. I imagine if that happens it'll be a significant event late in the game.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, save transfers aren't happening as far as we know.

But including Ryo's old moves and I assume a fair collection of his inventory is a nice enough compromise. Can't wait to school fools with the Tornado Kick all over again.

Doin' it for u, Tom.
I really really, want my mysterious scroll.

Hopefully they'll just give us all the items from 1&2 in our magic backpack.
No save transfers as Shenmue III was deep into development when the HD re-releases were conceived. Completely different companies, dev teams etc.
Yes i understand all those point.
Whatever supernatural elements do/do not exist in Shenmue III have been set in stone from the very beginning. Yu Suzuki hasn't altered his original vision for the story in any major way.
That's good to know.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Based off what we know of future arcs in Shenmue, the supernatural aspects of Shenmue was unlikely to be deep mystical powers stuff anyway, but something that manifest within like inner chi power or something. It's a traditional kungfu story that's so far, in Shenmue 1/2 has been grounded.

The comparison I'd use would be... Street Fighter II V anime, where the game treated the ability to use Shoryuken and Hadoukens as very late-game "known to only a few people" high level mystical power - one that was also obtained at the final stages of the story and used extremely sparingly because they're the pivots that break the rules of the grounded setting.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Pretty much agree with the above. Yu doesn't consider the representation of Chi in Shenmue as supernatural or "magic", which is in-keeping with the Wuxia genre Shenmue is heavily based on. There's a prophecy and subsequent prophetic dreams, and Shenhua's unnatural connection to nature - and I figure that underlying element of mysticism will continue.

But it's not going to be overt stuff like the Shenmue Online trailer, which had basically nothing to do with where the core story was going anyway.

I'm 50/50 on the floating sword stuff getting a retcon in the retelling of Shenmue II's ending during the opening of III.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Game sounds great. I wish the OP can be updated with more previews because before I reacted I thought that was all. I see more now so imma keep reading

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Throws didn't even work well in the original. Did anyone even use them?

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hmm I really should play through Shenmue II ...

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Just going over all the new info again, and not being able to interact with every NPC is a bit of a bummer.

Also, having names appear on-screen for those that can be interacted with seems like it might break the immersion...

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
They were pretty useful. I mean, we can't even get a hip toss? Or just the generic flip over shoulder throw?
They were? I always thought they were useless. High risk low reward kinda
Just going over all the new info again, and not being able to interact with every NPC is a bit of a bummer.

Also, having names appear on-screen for those that can be interacted with seems like it might break the immersion...
I agree. A/X button press highlight should be enough...

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I feel like there will be options to turn stuff off like that for classic fans, or even a difficulty setting made specifically for those familiar with the series.

For the moment though, it sounds like the names only appear once you approach them to approximate speaking range anyway.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
Throws didn't even work well in the original. Did anyone even use them?

Yup! I demon dropped Chai all day at the arcade. Also messed up Fuku-San with the Darkside Hazuki, enough for him to complain not to use the move on him lol.

I do wish throws were in. It's part of Ryo's judo background and a nice complement to the kung fu he learns in China. I think that and the running animations not being better are my biggest gripes so far.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I feel like there will be options to turn stuff off like that for classic fans, or even a difficulty setting made specifically for those familiar with the series.

For the moment though, it sounds like the names only appear once you approach them to approximate speaking range anyway.

I sure hope so, because it just seems totally unnecessary. When it comes to the HUD and things like 'hints' less is more with Shenmue.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I think that and the running animations not being better are my biggest gripes so far.
Nobody saw his run from what I recall of the previews. There's contention over the walk animation with VG 24/7 saying it looks similar to the originals, and GameBlog saying it retains a familiar look but is more current and natural animation, but I'm willing to believe GameBlog's interpretation based on the animator who did Ryo's walk cycle in the original games saying the direction was to make him walk "like a martial artist" with a straight back. So it sounds like a character decision rather than "hey we reused a locomotion system".

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My colleague, who wrote Gameblog's Shenmue III preview, got to interview Yu Suzuki before seeing the game. Here is said interview: http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_1196_shenmue-3-notre-interview-de-yu-suzuki-au-magic-2019

Yu Suzuki confirmed that there wouldn't be any SEGA arcade game in Shenmue III but that there would be other video games. And when Yu Suzuki was asked if he had thought about making Shenhua playable, he answered "no comment."

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
My colleague, who wrote Gameblog's Shenmue III preview, got to interview Yu Suzuki before seeing the game. Here is said interview: http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_1196_shenmue-3-notre-interview-de-yu-suzuki-au-magic-2019

Yu Suzuki confirmed that there wouldn't be any SEGA arcade game in Shenmue III but that there would be other video games. And when Yu Suzuki was asked if he had thought about making Shenhua playable, he answered "no comment."
Good stuff.

Nice to have it confirmed again that the backer demo is coming, and that the next five months is "tuning, debugging, and upgrading".

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving the environment details. Hoping for some striking moments. Really need to ramp my refreshers for the two up. Haven't even got to my forklift job yet.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
I expect more than a few people to be disappointed you can't talk to every NPC and will have to miss out on lines like, "Sorry, I can't talk right now," but if cutting that out helps the team make a better game, have at it.
As long as you can still knock on every door and wonder if they're out, it should be fine.
I'm sorry...can you reply to someone else right now? I'm busy.

As somebody that just beat Shenmue for the first time last month and is currently on disc 2 of II, this is hilarious (and true, all of it).

Oct 30, 2017
I'm ok with that. Yakuza's pretty much gotten them all in, not to bring up Yakuza again. Just saying I can live with it. Probably didn't want to pay half the games budget to license the games he made for Sega.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Yeah, did anybody really hold Yu's other SEGA games making it in as a possibility? Surely the way the Shenmue IP had to be licenced out to him made it an obvious impossibility from the start.

Anyway, "other" games will include QTE Title 2, Excite QTE 3, and possibly some new ones they've ginned up.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I never used to play the arcade games anyway besides QTE Title and Darts so I really don't care if hang on and space harrier are not in S3 not that i expected them to be in the game anyway

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Throws I can live without since I like kicking the most, but having no SEGA arcade games is pretty disappointing to me. Yeah, Yakuza has it covered, but playing them was a part of the experience in Shenmue as well, and who can forget the hype moments of finding After Burner and Hang-On in Shenmue II? I'm guessing this also means that there won't be any SEGA capsule toys either, which is equally disappointing to me.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017

I thought he already confirmed in some old interview that Shenhua will be indeed playable during certain specific sections of the game.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
No throws? 1/10, Kickstart backer regret at maximum

... tbh I think it only matters if the combat doesn't fill the role that throws had in 1/2. If there are other moves that serve a similar purpose, I think it'll be fine.