• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! I thought i was the only person. Picked up my preorder from my local gamestop and they didn't have it. I think they said there were only 2 at my store but of course I didn't get one. Game me the rigmarole of getting my number and checking with other gamestops and letting me know if they get one from them just to give me a false sense that they're doing something. I really wanted to not buy it at that point. I was debating ordering online as well, but it's seems to be an issue at this point. Annoying.

the bonus is a physical thing right? I got CSR reply and they told me it's digital. I swear it was physical. Lol

i emailed them back about it. If they don't ship it to me, I'll just return it.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, at my pace (and presumably others') it's going to be a while before I finish, somebody start the spoiler thread so we don't have to talk across each other in this thread.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just started playing about an hour ago. So how do we replenish health? I'm just walking around Bailu and Ryo's health keeps dropping. I know I need to eat and I bought some vegetables but I don't know how to access them? Playing on PS4.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing about an hour ago. So how do we replenish health? I'm just walking around Bailu and Ryo's health keeps dropping. I know I need to eat and I bought some vegetables but I don't know how to access them? Playing on PS4.
R1 brings up the menu. (The options button isn't used at all which is odd)

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
8H played and i'm still in Bailu Village.
I am taking my time, not exactly going for the 100% completion or anything, but not in a rush for anything either.

So in a way, either people spend alot of time in this game without sleep, or they skip a bunch of stuff if they already finished the game, right?
yea, i'm just doing small sessions, breathing the game in slowly and looking at all the details. Last time i was trying to buy a fishing rod but they wouldn't let me, lol. Still can't believe i'm playing another Shen game.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
My worries were unfounded and boy is this game, so far, fantastic. This is going to be a 100+ hour game for me :D

msWPpsL.jpg

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
the bonus is a physical thing right? I got CSR reply and they told me it's digital. I swear it was physical. Lol

i emailed them back about it. If they don't ship it to me, I'll just return it.
Yeah def physical. I know its in collectors editions that didn't come out in the US as well. There's some videos on youtube that show it also. It looks awesome. The people knew what i was talking about when I asked at my gamestop. Yeah that's what i'm about to do. I can get it cheaper on amazon anyway. This is a deal breaker for me.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Just got to the second location! Man that last cinematic in Bailu before leaving was beautiful and omg I love niowu this feels like shenmue two scale and I'm really loving the city. Also made some phone calls to family and friends and it just put a small to me. I'll try and spread the phones calls throughout the nights

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I uninstalled Shenmue 3, reinstalled it, before starting a new game I went to options and entered my backer code and it said "Code Valid". At that point I started a new game and once I got control went into the inventory and there were no calling cards (or anything else aside from the stuff from 1 & 2 in key items). Should they be there at the very beginning?

I did get a move scroll, burning kick I think, but nothing else.

I'm not sure exactly, since my backer code isn't working, but I still found where to get the international calling card as an item when I finally found a phone. I'm absolutely loving these phonecalls too.

i got this black jacket and still no way to equip it, maybe later.

It's a little unintuitive, but changing clothes is done in the settings menu. I've been sporting my sick fishing jacket I got as a prize for a while now.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
For all who want to submit issues with the backer dlc on PC, some at the dojo have already email Fangamer and only get as a response to contact [email protected] instead, so you might want to direct your problem descriptions right there. Apart from that, nothing new has surfaced around the issues afaik.

While I am taking it really slow I would like to have those things ingame asap. Atm it feels like I will complete the game without phone card and extra move scrolls, which would be just further de-valuating my KS pledge. One would have to assume Ysnet have started to look into this now though, although I got a bit worried from their responses yesterday that they have not yet recognized that there is a problem.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone knows if the PC version supports the 360 controller? As in, showing Xbox prompts.

Or any other controller for that matter.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Nearing the end now. Enjoying my time with it but I have a couple of gripes I'd like to see fixed before I go back in to try for the platinum.

- Let me skip text with the square button all the time. I don't need to hear the shop keepers lines every single day before it lets me skip for the rest of the day.

- Do something about the QTEs. I don't know if fix is the right word but they definitely need a tweak. They go too fast and some don't respond to you actually pressing the right button. It made one of the jobs really frustrating.

- This is a personal one but I'd take the stamina draining out of story mode. It felt like a way to slow you down from finishing too fast and didn't add anything else to the game. A few times because I ran somewhere for the story I only started with half my health for the fight that would start. But taking it out of story mode would let people be able to slowly take everything in better on a second playthrough.

- Another personal one. Change that 1,000 fish trophy to something more manageable!

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Nearing the end now. Enjoying my time with it but I have a couple of gripes I'd like to see fixed before I go back in to try for the platinum.

- Let me skip text with the square button all the time. I don't need to hear the shop keepers lines every single day before it lets me skip for the rest of the day.

- Do something about the QTEs. I don't know if fix is the right word but they definitely need a tweak. They go too fast and some don't respond to you actually pressing the right button. It made one of the jobs really frustrating.

- This is a personal one but I'd take the stamina draining out of story mode. It felt like a way to slow you down from finishing too fast and didn't add anything else to the game. A few times because I ran somewhere for the story I only started with half my health for the fight that would start. But taking it out of story mode would let people be able to slowly take everything in better on a second playthrough.

- Another personal one. Change that 1,000 fish trophy to something more manageable!

I am actually at the beginning and pretty much had the same comments. I understand that Stamina is a way to force you to train, get money and so on, but I'd also prefer if there was an option to remove it.

Anyway, only a few hours in but really enjoying this, the game looks beautiful, soundtrack is amazing, I like how the game doesn't hand-hold. So far I quite disagree with the review that said you just had to brute-force to advance, it feels like the previous Shenmues where you had to apply some logic to find out where to go next and who to talk to.

harlekin

Mar 25, 2018
Is there a way to have running not drain my health?
No, its a system in game. Thanks to young millennials/genz-ers who apparently love that stuff, because they have no taste and like to play cheap shovelware on steam, that always remains in alpha.

You can 'compensate it away' pretty easily though.

The way you 'tackle it' is money. Very early on - the best resource for income are herbs. Only (I'd say almost exclusively) sell the sets that net you 450 or 350 moneys - and dont sell too many of them - because herbs dont replenish, they are worth more later on (in the city), and you can also buy moves with it - which should have a priority. But if you sell 2 or 3 of the complex sets, it should be fine (still enough herbs in the village.. ;) )

As soon as you get access to the fishing store (story progression), you can use this method to easily earn money (800 gold in 20 minutes realtime): https://www.resetera.com/threads/sh...ce-ancient-times.153650/page-31#post-26707374

Later on, once the fortune teller unlocks (but not earlier) you can use this method (1500 gold in 20 minutes realtime, maybe):

Best way to restore health is buying the powder that restores it for 900units in one of the general stores (they all sell it) for 30 a pop. I currently have 50 of those in inventory. You can also buy pears, cabbages, and that one root that restores afair 60 health for 1 or 2 moneys max, so you do not overuse your better items.

Once panda market can be accessed, you can also buy dumplings there (more for flavor ;) ).
-

Also - you can increase stamina by doing the horse stance and one inch punch kung fu mini games at the kung fu school. They top out at level 10 master of level 7 of each activity (at least in bailu village). Once you have maxed them out (it will take a while, dont do it at once, do it over time) stamina seems to drain slower, or you seem to run faster - one or the other. ;)

But once you have the money, and once you have the 900 restore item, it really becomes a 'restore once, maybe twice a day - and run all you want' thing. So that system thankfully moves to the background after a while.

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No, its a system in game. Thanks to young millennials/genz-ers who apparently love that stuff, because they have no taste and like to play cheap shovelware on steam, that always remains in alpha.

The way you 'tackle it' is money. Very early on - the best resource for income are herbs. Only (I'd say almost exclusively) sell the sets that net you 450 or 350 moneys - and dont sell too many of them - because herbs dont replenish, they are worth more later on (in the city), and you can also buy moves with it - which should have a priority. But if you sell 2 or 3 of the complex sets, it should be fine (still enough herbs in the village.. ;) )

As soon as you get access to the fishing store (story progression), you can use this method to easily earn money (800 gold in 20 minutes realtime): https://www.resetera.com/threads/sh...ce-ancient-times.153650/page-31#post-26707374

Later on, once the fortune teller unlocks (but not earlier) you can use this method (1500 gold in 20 minutes realtime, maybe):

Best way to restore health is buying the powder that restores it for 900 in one of the general stores (they all sell it) for 30 a pop. I currently have 50 of those in inventory. You can also buy pears, cabbages, and that one root that restores afair 60 health for 1 or 2 moneys max, so you do not noveruse your better items.

Once panda market can be accessed, you can also buy dumplings there (more for flavor ;) ).
-

Also - you can increase stamina by doing the horse stance and one inch punch kung fu mini games at the kung fu school. They top out at level 10 master of level 7 of each activity (at least in bailu village). Once you have maxed them out (it will take a while, dont do it at once, do it over time) stamina seems to drain slower, or you seem to run faster - one or the other. ;)

But once you have the money, and once you have the 900 restore item, it really becomes a 'restore once, maybe twice a day - and run all you want' thing. So that system thankfully moves to the background after a while.

Wow, didn't know there was a 900 Item for 30. I been eating Onions all this time for 9 Moneys to Restore 300 I think (The shop past the Sunflower Place), which is also good value.

harlekin

Mar 25, 2018
Correct. Its also good value. :) But the 900units powder thingy will be less clicks eventually, and then you only need top offs (120 and 60 unit items basically). So you will discard (eat) (the last of those onions) over time.. ;)

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Correct. Its also good value. :) But the 900units powder thingy will be less clicks eventually, and then you only need top offs (120 and 60 unit items basically). So you will discard (eat) (the last of those onions) over time.. ;)

But i'm losing out on 3 Monies for every 900 Powder I get instead of 300 Onion.

That 3 Monies could be spent on Top-Offs, while you are using more Monies in exchange for less clicks. ;)

Your 50 Powder could have been 150 Onions (think they are garlic actually) and you'd be 150 Monies better off.

Plus, what happens if you need 300 Stamina? Use a Powder? LIke 5 Top-Offs...or a well-placed Onion? ;)

51TTkIoTIjL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

harlekin

Mar 25, 2018
But i'm losing out on 3 Monies for every 900 Powder I get instead of 300 Onion.
There is an economy in game. So items will vary in price, depending on how much you've bought them (probably). The 30 moneys 900 units item I think I've also seen for 26 at the lowest and 32 at the highest. And if you've got to the better income sources, you dont have to micromanage that intensely anymore. :) (Fewer clicks wins it for me. ;) )

If you need 300 stamina you wait untill you need 900. ;) Or use your 160 (?), 120, 60 top offs (cabbage, pears) more liberally.
Its just that 900 seems like the correct 'filler' after some time - because you'll always replenish, before health gets so low that the faster burn rate (while running) kicks in (peps change color, afair its with 4 or 5 remaining), and then there is always place for a 900 item. If you expect fights and want to top off, you can always do that with the less costly items as well But thats by far a less common occurrence, than the daily eating regime.

Long story short. 900 and cheaper seems to be the sweet spot. Not 300 and cheaper. I insist. ;)
(You can stock up on 300 items as well - you wont loose anything. ;) I just dont like to look at onions/garlic I suppose.. ;) )

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There is an economy in game. So items will vary in price, depending on how much you've bought them (probably). The 30 moneys 900 units item I think I've also seen for 26 at the lowest and 32 at the highest. And if you've got to the better income sources, you dont have to micromanage that intensely anymore. :) (Fewer clicks wins it for me. ;) )

If you need 300 stamina you wait untill you need 900. ;) Or use your 160 (?), 120, 60 top offs (cabbage, pears) more liberally.
Its just that 900 seems like the correct 'filler' after some time - because you'll always replenish, before health gets so low that the faster burn rate (while running) kicks in (peps change color, afair its with 4 or 5 remaining), and then there is always place for a 900 item. If you expect fights and want to top off, you can always do that with the less costly items as well But thats by far a less common occurrence, than the daily eating regime.

Long story short. 900 and cheaper seems to be the sweet spot. Not 300 and cheaper. I insist. ;)
(You can stock up on 300 items as well - you wont loose anything. ;) I just dont like to look at onions I suppose.. ;) )

The best part of all of this is how we are talking about Min-Maxing in a game which you really don't need to Min-Max in like AT ALL as they want you to take your time. ;D

Oct 26, 2017
Ryo had an interesting diet of black garlic and cabbage for a while. Must have smelled wonderful. No wonder Shenhua is being more friendly to him now that his diet is mostly dumplings and weird snake concoctions.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017

Best way to restore health is buying the powder that restores it for 900units in one of the general stores (they all sell it) for 30 a pop. I currently have 50 of those in inventory. You can also buy pears, cabbages, and that one root that restores afair 60 health for 1 or 2 moneys max, so you do not overuse your better items.

-

Wow, thank you so much for this! This will make it much better to manage this new system.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
You know, after all this time...
I still haven't opened the game yet!

I really wanted to complete Shenmue 1&2 beforehand. With a lot of things going on personally (just work and family) I only just got to Kowloon.

The thing is, Shenmue is the type of game that has to be taken slow to enjoy, so that's what I'm doing haha! Even got scenes with Fangmei I've never seen!

Anyway, I'll embark on the S3 journey probably some time next week - probably look to stream it as well. I've avoided spoilers thus far!

O__________
___O_____O
______O____

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
After 2 days and 18 hours playing, I have to pause for a few days.
Just left town abruptly and unexpectedly due to mother in law surgery and she may not live after a routine surgery. So I will be out of this a while. I've got the (sad) Bailu music in my head all day.
Y'all have fun in the meantime.

mans this is still one of my favorite games and biggest shocks of the year. What a gam

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think back on Shenmue II, because you're wrong about that.

Ryo lost handily to Dou Niu twice before the end. First time at Dancing Dragoon Building, Dou Niu curbstomped both Ryo and Ren. Then at Ghost Hall Building where you finally meet Zhu Yuan Da, Dou Niu damn near kills Ryo and Ryo is saved by Xiuying.

This pattern of Ryo losing only to win later isn't that surprising really when you look back.
It's still done pretty badly here. I am at the beginning of the game, and I just "lost" (I actually won, but it didn't matter) the second fight to the big brute at the Hermit's Nest. Before the fight there was even a reminder how to use potions, but it's a fight you have to lose. That's messed up. I "beat" the guy without using any, but if I had used them it would have been 300 Yuan down the toilet.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, is fishing strictly for making money or are there some stats/collection involved? I won the T-Shirt on my first try, but I have no need for money so I was wondering is there any incentive in continuing?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, is fishing strictly for making money or are there some stats/collection involved? I won the T-Shirt on my first try, but I have no need for money so I was wondering is there any incentive in continuing?
Mostly money or trophies if you are into that but I did run into a side-mission where the fishing owner (Bailu) wanted me to catch a specific fish in 4 different spots. He also runs fishing tournaments where you can win prizes.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
We definitely need a spoiler thread
Yeah, at my pace (and presumably others') it's going to be a while before I finish, somebody start the spoiler thread so we don't have to talk across each other in this thread.
Agreed i have so much to get off my chest......

Spoiler thread made here:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Made it (finally) to the arcade. Ah, so nice to have a new Shenmue arcade to enjoy, loving Highway Star or whatever it was called and Excite QTE3. Also managed to clear the capsule toy side story (got lucky and got both items quick). Now I have several new moves scrolls and stuff to do I can see main story progress halting immediately as I mess around, and finally smack White Tiger upside his head in the arena.
Oh, and Panda Market looks wonderful at night (and its so cool to see some of the characters eating there after hours). This and Death Stranding are two of my favourite games of this year, both evoke this wonderful relaxing exploration aspect I can't get enough of.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Made it (finally) to the arcade. Ah, so nice to have a new Shenmue arcade to enjoy, loving Highway Star or whatever it was called and Excite QTE3. Also managed to clear the capsule toy side story (got lucky and got both items quick). Now I have several new moves scrolls and stuff to do I can see main story progress halting immediately as I mess around, and finally smack White Tiger upside his head in the arena.
Oh, and Panda Market looks wonderful at night (and its so cool to see some of the characters eating there after hours). This and Death Stranding are two of my favourite games of this year, both evoke this wonderful relaxing exploration aspect I can't get enough of.

2 Questions:

- What Capsule Toy Side Story?

- Anyone beat Highway Star? I got 298.

harlekin

Mar 25, 2018
When you first get access to it its only for making money.

Much later on (shortly before you are leaving Bailu village in fact), a mini quest will unlock (stamps series), that will give you a suave Yakuza style fish jacket, if you reel in four rare catfish (for how to get the last one (and what the jacket looks like), see .-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdT3Qb90EY4) -

After that the fishing store owner tells you, that there will be a bunch of contests like this in the future, and that you should stop by - but again, thats shortly before you are leaving the village, so I'm not sure how 'true' that in game hint is.

If there are other challenges later on, please post it in here. I'd be interested. :)
-

On most of the lengthy sidequests you get special items to complete a set you can trade in for a move. And new moves are what gate your Kung Fu level (strength). So the incentive is actually there to do them. Smaller sidequests just give you mostly useless capsule toy items - you could have gotten quicker on your own - but the more involved stuff gives you more 'exclusive' items. (Little kid asking for a white fish lure to complete his set is one of the more involved ones.)

Also - there are in game contextual clues for other stuff that might be in there. F.e. Shenhua at one point in your evening conversations hints at there being a fish called 'The king of Bailu" that no one has caught for years. I've never found him. And at least two characters (side quests) offer you a chance to show you a 'hidden fishing spot'. Which I've declined twice.

And I've also found a derelict fishing spot near the 'old homes/slum' part of town, that wasn't interactible... So there is more intrigue there. :)

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah def physical. I know its in collectors editions that didn't come out in the US as well. There's some videos on youtube that show it also. It looks awesome. The people knew what i was talking about when I asked at my gamestop. Yeah that's what i'm about to do. I can get it cheaper on amazon anyway. This is a deal breaker for me.

Yea, I'm a backer so I already got the game in both physical and digital form. I only wanted the bonus but they really screwed us. Just a pain to bring it to a B&M store around where I live. Thankfully, I got the Limited Runs CE as well and I think maybe the mirror is the same one. Not sure.

No reply from CSR this time. Gonna email them again.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I'm a backer so I already got the game in both physical and digital form. I only wanted the bonus but they really screwed us. Just a pain to bring it to a B&M store around where I live. Thankfully, I got the Limited Runs CE as well and I think maybe the mirror is the same one. Not sure.

No reply from CSR this time. Gonna email them again.

I saw this thread at Shenmue Dojo so it seems like they've fucked over a lot of people:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
2 Questions:

- What Capsule Toy Side Story?

- Anyone beat Highway Star? I got 298.
Kid in the square near Tai Chi dude. You should get a special prompt (press square near the big head kid) and he'll ask for a white lure. Then a Diamond P. There's supposed to be several side stories per town, but I've not found any more.

And yeah, I beat Highway Star on my third try. Get 300 and you win.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Kid in the square near Tai Chi dude. You should get a special prompt (press square near the big head kid) and he'll ask for a white lure. Then a Diamond P. There's supposed to be several side stories per town, but I've not found any more.

And yeah, I beat Highway Star on my third try. Get 300 and you win.

What do you win?

Also, there's a Kid near the entrance of the Panda Market (or in the Prize Shop) who asks for a Football from the Pail Toss.

And a guy in Joy Park.