• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
That Gamesradar piece...the whole "I love it, but it's shit! And you're gunna hate it!" thing is like...umm, OK? Or maybe people will like it? Is that really so hard to imagine? It's a slow-paced, investigative adventure game featuring martial arts and a cool mystery, not some weird farming simulator or something.

It's so much better in Japanese. It allows you to enjoy the game without the "...but it's kinda cheesy" caveat. I've played for 4 or 5 hours now and not once have I been taken out of the experience by silly-sounding dialogue. It's glorious. I almost feel bad saying that because I really like the English Ryo, but that's just the way it is.
Yeah I think I'm gonna play in Japanese to continue from my playthrough of Shenmue II. It just suits the game better, even if the cheesy acting is nostalgic.

I'm actually more concerned about the VG247 review in progress. Someone should probably let the reviewer know that Shenmue III wasn't ever meant to conclude the story. : /

Yeah I saw that. Someone corrected him in the comments but he tried justifying it with a dumb answer. "It should be because it's daft" or something along those lines.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm actually more concerned about the VG247 review in progress. Someone should probably let the reviewer know that Shenmue III wasn't ever meant to conclude the story. : /
After all the "Shenmue III won't finish the story" headlines over this past year, I'm always a bit surprised when someone doesn't know this. It's been "publicised" over and over again. But when it's a reviewer going into the game expecting a conclusion...well, that feels like they should've done some preliminary research there.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Did anyone pick up the PC version? If so, how is it? Since the PC version is cheaper(only 5,500 yen), I'm thinking of just getting that.

Though the PS4 version is only 1000 yen more...

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Welp i've received my DLC code from Amazon but it hasnt even shipped yet. Earliest Friday for me im sure.
But hey! I'm wishing everyone the grandest of times with the game. I'm so happy ;'D

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
While enjoying Shenmue 3 remember everyone
AKoQc3O.jpg

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Y'all think we're ever going to see a conclusion for the series? Iirc Yu said this one is only like halfway into the overarching story he has in mind. So we'd need like 2 follow ups or so after the 3rd one. Seems not likely...? Especially seeing Shenmue is kinda niche and will never be a huge commercial success.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I own the game physically and have played around 8 hours on it now and have a save file. If I then bought the game digitally, could I still use my save file on that version or is it separate?

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all think we're ever going to see a conclusion for the series? Iirc Yu said this one is only like halfway into the overarching story he has in mind. So we'd need like 2 follow ups or so after the 3rd one. Seems not likely...? Especially seeing Shenmue is kinda niche and will never be a huge commercial success.
I think so, yeah. But also, i'm ready and willing to continue supporting Yu to finish the story. Financially or however I can help.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I've already checked out of the reviews thread. people already lining up with the same uninformed, half-baked takes. Can't take anymore of it, to be honest. I'm just gonna play the game and not even bother with it. Will check here to see how people are enjoying the game before I get to it, though.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I've already checked out of the reviews thread. people already lining up with the same uninformed, half-baked takes. Can't take anymore of it, to be honest. I'm just gonna play the game and not even bother with it. Will check here to see how people are enjoying the game before I get to it, though.

I can feel my blood pressure rise every time I enter that already mess of a thread. It's all so predictable.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure what it is about Shenmue that brings out the hate. It's fucking weird

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Your health really depletes quickly in this, can you buy/eat actual meals or is it just limited to buying fruit and vegetables?

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Battle system isn't really complicated, it is built around the use of right trigger to auto execute the more complex moves. Manually inputting moves will get you nowhere.

Also, for those struggling with money, there are 2 ways to get rid of the problem forever:

1) Hunt and pick all the herbs, some of the collections net a lot of money

2) Save scam the dice game. In 20 mins max you'll have like 20k tokens. Then exchange the tokens for crystals at the prizes stand, and sell the crystals for money.
Where the hell is the prize stand lol

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Anybody else here just find it impossible to play the game with the English dub? I know that the horrendous VO of the originals is part of the charm for some folks, and part of what makes Shenmue "Shenmue" for them. But having played through I & II for the very first time last year, both with a Japanese VO, I watched Shenmue: The Movie and a cutscene recap of II, both with English dub, and I just couldn't force myself to do that with III. I genuinely love the characters and the story, and can't see how those things are elevated with bad VO. Perhaps I'll do English for a replay down the line though!
Nope love my English VO even thinks shenua has the best voice

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game at 4:27 AM this morning and am currently writting my review (we bought the game ourselves last week but couldn't finish it sooner on the count of having a 2 year old daughter and a 1 week old baby boy at home). I can't believe some people still think that the story would end in Shenmue III when it was never supposed to. That being said, I can't wait until more people finish the game to see what people thought of the ending.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol, why's the voice actor not capable of deciding how to pronounce Ryo in the recap movie?

Dude swapped between Ree-oo, Roh, and Roo. Doesn't help that the girl at the start also refers to you as Ree-oo.

Edit: Is the dialogue supposed to be funny?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
lol, why's the voice actor not capable of deciding how to pronounce Ryo in the recap movie?

Dude swapped between Ree-oo, Roh, and Roo. Doesn't help that the girl at the start also refers to you as Ree-oo.

Edit: Is the dialogue supposed to be funny?
Because the English voice acting (especially in the first game) sucks in English. Some people love it apparently, its unbearable to me, Japanese voice track all the way. Its still got some pretty meh voice acting in places for NPCs but its still far better than what was recorded in English.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Doesn't look my copy is coming today after all. :(

I got an email last night saying it was but I didn't get the usual email this morning as well saying it was getting delivered today. I've waited almost twenty years so another day won't kill me I guess.

Hope everyone's enjoying it anyway.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I don't manage to input my backer code: ""No Epic Games Product code has been entered. To validate rewards, enter your Epic Games product code in the Epic Games store." ???

Edit; Ah whatever, it worked for the "Credits" part.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Because the English voice acting (especially in the first game) sucks in English. Some people love it apparently, its unbearable to me, Japanese voice track all the way. Its still got some pretty meh voice acting in places for NPCs but its still far better than what was recorded in English.

I don't know why people suffer through the English dub to be quite honest. Nostalgic value or because they like the cheesiness are reasons I can't really accept. If I can take the story and character interactions seriously via the Japanese voice option, then of course I'm going to opt for that.

Oh god. Why can't I change my camera sensitivity? Why is it so low with a controller?

This is one of the first things that leapt out to me when I first started playing. It's quite unfortunate. Turning Ryo in the direction you want the camera to face and clicking the right stick helps matters a little.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
A question about the extra ingame items you get. I know by backing up the game you get the Shenmue III - KS Reward Pack Bundle 2 which gives you: "Get an international phone card (in-game item) to call Nozomi, Guizhang Chen, Ine-san, Joy, Fuku-san, or other characters from Shenmue 1 & 2. This item will unlock phone conversations and flashback scenes available only to Kickstarter Backers. Keep your friends close with S3 World Telecom. "

Chained punches scroll and a toy capsule.

It seems there are many other Backers' only rewards that I wasn't aware of.

By pre-ordering the game on PS4, you receive the Character Concept Theme, 3 Avatars (Ryo, Shenhua and the Shenmue III logo), the "Blazing Kick" Advanced Technique Scroll, Kenpogi Training outfit and a Peking Power Starter Pack*! .

Will PS4 pre-order items be obtainable ingame?if not will they offer them through store at some point? Also Will the backer items be available to purchase too?
Does anyone have a list of all those ingame rewards?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The English VO will surely have some value to those of us who consider the English VO from the originals quaint and charming in that Resident Evil kind of way, or whose brains are just too stuck with the idea of that being Ryo's voice.

I'll probably check out Corey Marshall and friends, but the plan is to go primarily Japanese. It just makes more sense and would've for the originals as well.

Last edited:

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got my Epic code and downloading now.

Anyone know if the PC version supports DualShock button prompts?

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Okay has anyone tried to launch the shortcut through Steam? Can't seem to get it to work through exe or binary - also not seeing the ability to change to PS4 button prompts...

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
There is some amazing new music in this game. Certain areas really shine because of the awesome soundtrack.

Jun 12, 2018
I finished the game at 4:27 AM this morning and am currently writting my review (we bought the game ourselves last week but couldn't finish it sooner on the count of having a 2 year old daughter and a 1 week old baby boy at home). I can't believe some people still think that the story would end in Shenmue III when it was never supposed to. That being said, I can't wait until more people finish the game to see what people thought of the ending.

Looking forward to the review. Thanks in advance

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
That gamesradar pre-review is pretty awfully written. I mean saying something is 'objectively rubbish' is twitter troll level parlance.

They're also stating that: [A]fter six straight hours' play of the finished game on a retail PS4, I'm 90% convinced it actually is good. But if ever a game was the digital equivalent of 'an acquired taste' then it's Shenmue. And boy, is this ever a Shenmue game.

This is precisely what I expect from the game

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
I played like 3 or 4 hours and I love it but I can see why people and reviewers won't like it. So far I'm not a big fan of the stamina being you health meter too, you have to eat all the time, even running around requires you to eat because the stamina/health meter runs out very fast and only regenerates 3 points and that is not enough to run more than 4 seconds.

Leveling up your fighting skills is grindy.

Picking flowers to complete collections that you sell in sets for money is cool, basically another way to get money on top of selling capsule toys.

Game is clearly outdated and janky, I don't mind, I'm not here for a polished game, just want to continue the story. I think Shenmue fans will love it. Personally the thing I don't like the most is how dead the characters are when they talk, is just like a dead doll moving their mouth, clearly the faces are missing tons of animation and expressions.