• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
That's literally the colour it has always been in Europe. You can't take it from me.
I'm in Europe and have always had an orange Dreamcast. I can't help that you actually waited for PAL releases of stuff!

tenor.gif

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Loads times are still really fast haha, but it's nice they are there, seems to show the classic load screen when you go into a different area.
That's good then, best of both worlds! Can't wait to get my hands on my copy this week. Just got the very end of 2 to finish before diving straight into 3.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I think some of the QTE prompts could do with being tweaked.

They flash up and go way too quickly. A few times I know I've pressed it but it didn't register.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I think some of the QTE prompts could do with being tweaked.

They flash up and go way too quickly. A few times I know I've pressed it but it didn't register.

I was going to mention this. The QTE's in this game are really fast and a little bullshit. I'm playing on recommended and I'd say all the QTE's so far have been insanely fast and don't give you much time to react. I think I failed 18 out of 20 first time.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Its sad but true. I remember grabbing a sealed copy of Heavy Metal Geomatrix for my Capcom collection a while back and the insides of the case had basically turned into dust. I do really like the look of the cases but they broke so darn easy. I feel lucky to have so many DC games with decent cases!

Yeah, I know. I have a number of broken cases too and even more with scrathes on them. The cases themselves are beautiful, though, and when I buy on Ebay most sellers are decent enough to use lots of bubble wrap.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up for backers. FanGamer are seemingly starting to push out rewards. They have just uploaded Wallpapers in the Downloads section of your backer page. Check your backer page to download them:

dCVzn8M.png

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I was going to mention this. The QTE's in this game are really fast and a little bullshit. I'm playing on recommended and I'd say all the QTE's so far have been insanely fast and don't give you much time to react. I think I failed 18 out of 20 first time.

Yeah, I don't think I've done one fully all the way through yet.

It can't just be me getting old or slow either. Something seems off with them. You get a split second and sometimes it'll fail even though you knew you pressed it.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Impressions from the first couple of hours:

I could never have imagined this would feel so close to the old games. Almost every interaction just gives me waves of nostalgia. The conversations with Shenhua at night have been the highlight so far. I really love the way the two interact and how she slowly gets Ryo to open up and often catches him by surprise. Bailu village is beautiful and I have been exploring everything. The fighting is starting to click but I do think they could explain it better.

As for negatives, you do occasionally see the limits of the budget. Non-major cutscenes are sometimes disjointed with strange cuts and fades to black but it's nothing major. There are a few slowdowns on PS4 Pro but I haven't noticed any in battle so far, thankfully. And the English script occasionally doesn't quite make sense with some of the minor conversations, like they translated each line individually instead of the conversation as a whole. But they are very small issues and the game so far is far beyond what I have imagined it could be from a kickstarter game.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Had a feeling some stuff would go live at midnight Japan time. Crossing my fingers the game might do the same shortly.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think I've done one fully all the way through yet.

It can't just be me getting old or slow either. Something seems off with them. You get a split second and sometimes it'll fail even though you knew you pressed it.

Yeah glad it's not just me as I thought it can't be me just being old and slow. Don't want to discuss specifics because of spoilers but yeah, they need to be tweaked to last a little longer in my opinion.

Oct 30, 2017
Someone posted the credits on Shenmue Dojo and I was surprised to see a fairly long list of credits, as well as a surprising lack of Tak Hirai or Neilo on the main production lines (they were included in a separate 'thank you' section.) I also saw a surprising number of Western names in the 'level design' and 'programming' sections; looked them up and they appear to work for Suda51. I know Suda51 is a Yu Suzuki fan, so I found that interesting.

I assume a 'story spoilers' thread is coming too.

If I weren't blowing snot out my nose and running a fever, today would be a very special day indeed. It still is! But man, I'm totally off my game today...

Acheteedo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah glad it's not just me as I thought it can't be me just being old and slow.

Are you sure it's not just that? 18 years is a long time, we're old now. I've gone from the red bar to the green one since Shenmue I...

reactiontime.PNG.1379659272171.PNG

(have no idea about the data source, just pulled something from google to illustrate the point)

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Practicing and leveling yourself seems far more important in this, I got beat on the first fight. Then I leveled up a bit and beat it first try.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Yesssss. I'm tempted to ask questions, but I'll save the surprise of who I can call for when I play the game.

The cards become available from Bailu Village right? You don't need to wait until Niaowu?

I think the backer phone calls can be done in Bailu. In mine it was just a random empty phone box in the middle of an area. I never noticed any other phones but it could be possible I missed one.

Definitely can do it early in Niaowu though. They cost 5 yuan each, so you can get stocked up on a few without worrying.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Practicing and leveling yourself seems far more important in this, I got beat on the first fight. Then I leveled up a bit and beat it first try.
That's basically the loop with the training, but there's more to it overall and a lot more incentive to really work at expanding Ryo's moveset and training.

I think Yu said one of the main themes was "pushing past your limits", at some point.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure it's not just that? 18 years is a long time, we're old now. I've gone from the red bar to the green one since Shenmue I...

reactiontime.PNG.1379659272171.PNG

(have no idea about the data source, just pulled something from google to illustrate the point)

Hahaha, no it's 100% the game. I've played the original games countless times over the years and they have never been this fast.

Yesssss. I'm tempted to ask questions, but I'll save the surprise of who I can call for when I play the game.

The cards become available from Bailu Village right? You don't need to wait until Niaowu?

They are only available in Niaowu.