• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Pros: It looks like Shenmue
Cons: The animations suck

We need more in-game footage, with the HUD and menus, and a release date would be nice too

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
looks low budget as fuck, hopefully long time fans will enjoy this.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's come a loooooooooooooooong way from this:

shenmue-3-screenshot-kickstarer-1-e1532337496432.jpg

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
ok, honestly this looks like a 2000 game with semi-modern assets, but i love it.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The parts that I was impressed with most were the brief fighting animation scenes--those look so much better than the regular animations. Also the voice actors still sound like they did from back then--at least, Ryo's Japanese voice is iconic for me, since I've been playing them in Japanese this go round. It will be tough to decide between Japanese or English audio for Shenmue III.

Also, that music...so great.

Dec 7, 2018
I agree with the general sentiment here.

It looks and feels like a proper Shenmue game except for the animations that need some work, but are already at an almost acceptable level.

I believe it could have turned out much worse considering the budget it has, and Lan Di looks fucking perfect.

I think it's gonna get delayed again though, Which i would be perfectly ok with.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
ylyIJSF.gif

Faces look weird when they talk. If they can iron that out until the release it would be pretty good.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I think it looks pretty good. Wasn't expecting super high quality, and kept having this feeling the game might be a disaster, but this looks better than expected. Can't wait. Its taken on a little more of an anime look than i was expecting, but thats ok.

edit: is there a better quality version somewhere than whats on kickstarter?

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't paid much attention to the progress of the game until now but those small snippets of the combat have made me optimistic now. It looks like Shenmue.

Oct 30, 2017
I love the look of it. It kind of reminds me of a Level 5 game for some reason. Guess the cartoony aesthetic. Not what I expected. Where the hell is the gameplay, though?

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I think it looks really nice outside of the animations. I'm not expecting super polished stuff for the sidestories but I do hope they polish the main story ones up before release.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It looks fantastic for the budget it has it really does. Environments are superb and the combat albeit extremely brief looked excellent. It definitely has that Shenmue feel it genuinely looks decent I won't get carried away and say it looks groundbreaking but it's more than enough for me.

The animations and character designs are a bit iffy but I really don't give a fuck in all honesty as long as it's serviceable which I think it is, It's been nearly 20 years I and the fans have been waiting for this.

I think it's safe to say an extremely high percentage of KS backers will be happy with what we seen today I know I am.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this means character design has vastly improved..

This:
E087-A4-F6-0975-46-A7-8-D06-6-FA970-EFAD80.png

Looks so much better than;

114965-thumb.jpg

It's still exaggerated but the newer models just look right.

Oct 27, 2017
The best trailer so far. Lan Di looks dope!

OMG it still feels like alternate reality thinking about playing the game this August!

If it is not delayed again....

Which is fine for me, take your time Suzuki-san! What would be a couple of months more after 18 years?

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Shenmue so that is all that really matters to me, even there's no facial performance capture.
Also they REALLY need to use that new key art in the final boxart.

EDIT: that Yu Suzuki signature jingle! <3

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the trailer. Sure the animation isn't triple A quality but this isn't a triple A game. Fighting animation looked pretty good and this definitely looks like a true Shenmue sequel. I'm even more excited now!

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Shenhua still look bland af, very forgettable face... incredible how S1 and 2 face models are miles better then those one...

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah there's some spots they need to work in facial animations, very little combat gameplay its hard to have an opinion

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
The facial animations look terrible but it looks miles better than the last time they showed it. I still cant believe we are even getting this game, cant wait!

Dec 30, 2017
Rather underwhelmed by what I just saw.
Stiff animation
The odd stylistic gap between the secondary characters and the protagonists. You didn't feel that gap in the art direction of Shenmue 2. The trailer lacked of aesthetic unity.
Very few gameplay
Ryo's face is still off
Some very rough elements like Ryo's hand

I understand it's WIP but this game is supposed to release in August!

darksniper

Sep 18, 2018
I liked what I saw, but I get the sense this is going to get delayed. Don't think enough was shown. No Ren, No Niao Sun and no gameplay. Overall it looks like Shenmue to me and that's all I need.

Truth be told, although the Japanese VA sounded good. I might be in the minority but I reaaaaaaally want to hear the Corey Marshall version of Ryo this time and I just don't know if it is far along enough to be completed in 6 months time.

I'm eagerly awaiting to see THAT version of Shenmue III in a future trailer.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I liked what I saw, but I get the sense this is going to get delayed. Don't think enough was shown. No Ren, No Niao Sun and no gameplay. Overall it looks like Shenmue to me and that's all I need.
I highly doubt it. Is not like they can get more money to further improve or add elements at this stage.

With Sony skipping E3, they have no rush to show everything at this point.
I am sure they will continue to reveal more info throughout the summer.

darksniper

Sep 18, 2018
I highly doubt it. Is not like they can get more money to further improve or add elements at this stage.

With Sony skipping E3, they have no rush to show everything at this point.
I am sure they will continue to reveal more info throughout the summer.

The sooner I can play it the better. But I really want to hear how improved the english version of the game is. I haven't decided yet which language I'm going with on my first playthrough. Corey Marshall's dedication to the series is amazing and I think he deserves a chance to redeem himself from the archaic technology at the time when I and II came out.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Looks quite budget but I don't care. I never played shenmue for the graphics. Can't wait as I backed this on day 1 of announcement at E3.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The sooner I can play it the better. But I really want to hear how improved the english version of the game is. I haven't decided yet which language I'm going with on my first playthrough. Corey Marshall's dedication to the series is amazing and I think he deserves a chance to redeem himself from the archaic technology at the time when I and II came out.

Haha expect the same type of acting which will be glorious for me. With Corey Marshall and team returning, am pretty sure it will be like being back in 2001.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Rather underwhelmed by what I just saw.
Stiff animation
The odd stylistic gap between the secondary characters and the protagonists. You didn't feel that gap in the art direction of Shenmue 2. The trailer lacked of aesthetic unity.
Very few gameplay
Ryo's face is still off
Some very rough elements like Ryo's hand

I understand it's WIP but this game is supposed to release in August!

That's 5 months away.
Compare it to the trailer we got 6-7 months ago.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Photogrammetric faces.
"Photogrammetry"...but then the characters wouldn't look like the DC originals... which some people have been whinging about non-stop since the first screenshots were released. That and using photogrammetry (which isn't cheap if you don't have the gear) would result in an even bigger stylistic gap between the quality of the models and the facial animation.
Plus, it's kind of nice to still see a game whose characters are being created lock, stick and barrel by artists rather than scanning software.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
One thing you should DEFINITELY never see a hashtag of is #NotMyShenmue. Game looks and animates in a very authentic year 2000s video game manner.