• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
"You look like you're from Japan. And your appearance suggests that you're a martial artist."

You mean my T-shirt and jeans? Nothing screams martial artist like tennis shoes.
Probably his stance/body language. Several martial artists have reacted to Ryo in similar ways in Shenmue 1 and especially 2.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Probably his stance/body language. Several martial artists have reacted to Ryo in similar ways in Shenmue 1 and especially 2.

Bad localization then, appearance is a word regarding his look, which does not suggest martial artist unless he's stereotyping him as an Asian. "Mannerisms" or "demeanor" would have been better word choices if what you suggest is true.

Oct 30, 2017
You know it's a positive thread when there are only two pages instead of ten.
Haha, exactly. I'm a little worried there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for the game anymore, outside of the core group of fans. I hope they up the marketing efforts. Well, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. If all I get is Shenmue 3, so be it. Didn't think I'd ever get it four+ years ago.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Bad localization then, appearance is a word regarding his look, which does not suggest martial artist unless he's stereotyping him as an Asian. "Mannerisms" or "demeanor" would have been better word choices if what you suggest is true.

Just change Ryo into the Kenpogi GI outfit. There are others throughout the game.

amazon-kenpogi-training-wear.jpg

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Lookin good. They keep improving and im sure by release the combat will feel even better.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
I love it, It feels a lot like shenmue 2.

Now that they re-established the series i hope they finish the story with one more or two more games.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like exactly what I wanted from Shenmue III. We're really just three months away from it, aren't we? 18 years after Shenmue II. This is going to be absolutely amazing.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think that's a big point to getting this game made. If this is success then hopefully a publisher picks up a potential 4th game.

I don't understand Kickstarter. How can it be successful when the majority of their fans will already be getting a copy from the campaign?

Who's left to buy it? It can't be that many people.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand Kickstarter. How can it be successful when the majority of their fans will already be getting a copy from the campaign?

Not everyone is willing to spend money on a game which will release in years when you can't even know the quality of the end product. Maybe this is a different beast since it's a sequel but it probably still apply.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
This is starting to look quite good. I'm happy with the way this is turning out. Each time they show it it gets better.

The walk through the city at night looked really cool too.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Well speaking for myself, I got into the series for the first time last year thanks to the remasters and absolutely adored them. 2 is now one of my favourite games ever. Missed out on kickstarter but will be there day 1 on pc.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried, Era...

...that I might enjoy this game too much!

It's still hard to believe this is happening.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
The music that plays during at 0:55 when Ryo is walking through the alleyway at night, is that from Shenmue 2 or is it an entirely new composition? Sounds like it was taken straight out of one of the original games.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
"this game with tell 40% of the story" that comment bugs me. ill wait to see if this game has a real ending or not before i get it.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
Can't believe it's finally happening

Still remember replaying these games maybe 10 years ago with huge feeling of lament at the end because I thought there would never be a sequel

Feels good

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
Still get the feeling animations (especially facial) feel very stiff and very 2000ish.

I'll play it regardless but I'm hoping they could improve on this further. Definitely a change for the better though.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, exactly. I'm a little worried there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for the game anymore, outside of the core group of fans. I hope they up the marketing efforts. Well, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. If all I get is Shenmue 3, so be it. Didn't think I'd ever get it four+ years ago.

Just buy 2 copies of the game if you're worried.
Remember, if there's 500K of us, 2 copies each means 1 million buys.

But anyways, i'm not really that worried, on NA, UK and Japan the game was at number 1 pre orders at one point on Amazon.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Just buy 2 copies of the game if you're worried.
Remember, if there's 500K of us, 2 copies each means 1 million buys.

But anyways, i'm not really that worried, on NA, UK and Japan the game was at number 1 pre orders at one point on Amazon.
Also releases in China on Nov 19th. It taking place in China might help over there

RichieRich

Aug 16, 2018
"this game with tell 40% of the story" that comment bugs me. ill wait to see if this game has a real ending or not before i get it.

You'll be disappointed if that's the case. Suzuki would have to cut far too much material to make the story flow properly to end it at this game. Maybe if there's a Shenmue 4 he can examine condensing his story down to just the essentials, but probably not this one.

Last edited:

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I was sort of dreading the impending release of this game, since I thought it looked like shit and I'd prefer no Shenmue 3 to a bad one, but I'm actually really liking the way it looks now. It really *does* look like the old games.

Oct 30, 2017
I was sort of dreading the impending release of this game, since I thought it looked like shit and I'd prefer no Shenmue 3 to a bad one, but I'm actually really liking the way it looks now. It really *does* look like the old games.
Just the little touches like the mechanical car game in the arcade really do a lot to build the world of Shenmue all over again.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Game keeps looking better and better. I'm pretty excited for this.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves here, but imagine if this is successful enough for Yu to make a true, AAA Shenmue IV and build on the existing assets/combat.

Speaking in the here and now, I genuinely can't wait. The environments look amazing and I can't wait to just wander around.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves here, but imagine if this is successful enough for Yu to make a true, AAA Shenmue IV and build on the existing assets/combat.

Speaking in the here and now, I genuinely can't wait. The environments look amazing and I can't wait to just wander around.
I honestly dont want a homogenized shenmue experience and thats what AAA means to me. If I want that, I can go play more Yakuza.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Pretty remarkable for its budget. Obviously you're not gonna get Uncharted 4 level character models, but it's looking like the Shenmue III I've been waiting for. The way I see it, I was expecting this game to come for the original Xbox, so this looks better than a Shenmue III we would have got with a larger budget in the sixth or seventh generation of consoles.