• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
JeOLtjd.png
Consider this, Deep Silver: give me a Steam key or my money back.

There is no planet on which I'll redeem an Epic store key.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
User Banned (5 Days): Trolling; ignoring mod post. Recently banned for trolling.
Another good get by the Epic Store. They seem to be building up steam.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I switched to the PS4 version. I figured I'd probably buy it eventually, but I guess I'll start with that version and eventually get the steam version.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
I think the general idea is that they allow that if you also distribute it on the steam store. Which makes sense, people would abuse the system otherwise.
No, that's not true. They allow you to generate keys and sell them anywhere without using the Steam store.

You can 100% use all of Steam's features for free without selling your game on their store.

Oct 30, 2017
The Kickstarter and other social media sites are covered in messages like wishing Suzuki would commit seppuku or contract bone cancer, as well as lots of comments about how they're going to gleefully steal the game. I think that disclaimer on top of whatever that site is is fair. I certainly hope some of you aren't saying that type of talk is acceptable and it's up to the team to give people reason to change the discourse. These situations end up just bringing out the ugliest in people, unfortunately. The pendulum ends up swinging back and making me feel less sympathetic.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
The same thing that stops them from taking your money and retiring to Brazil never to be heard from again. Which is to say there's nothing stopping them.

It's Kickstarter, there are no guarantees or safeguards. The whole site is premised around your trust of the creators.

Ain't that the truth.

I've only KS'd a handful of games. Torment, the 50th Anniversary Nuclear War card game, the glorious Cultist Simulator from Weather Factory, but this has certainly put a damper on any and all enthusiasm I've had for KS as a platform. I was all set to back Weather Factory's sophomore game, "Book of Hours", but now I don't know.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Kickstarter and other social media sites are covered in messages like wishing Suzuki would commit seppuku or contract bone cancer, as well as lots of comments about how they're going to gleefully steal the game. I think that disclaimer on top of whatever that site is is fair. I certainly hope some of you aren't saying that type of talk is acceptable and it's up to the team to give people reason to change the discourse. These situations end up just bringing out the ugliest in people, unfortunately. The pendulum ends up swinging back and making me feel less sympathetic.

I heard about this, The whole ordeal it's a bad decision and it's not acceptable regarding EGS but does that make it OK wishing someone die of bone cancer or telling people to kill themselves... These kind of people are what's wrong with the world.

If people are that invested in a game and in a hobby that much to wish a horrible death on someone wow... Get a grip.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Lack of refunds makes sense. This isn't like canceling a console or handheld platform; if you chose PC there is no new barrier to you playing the game you paid for. I doubt they'll change their minds since this is probably the publisher trying to recoup some cost on the project.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm surprised d there isn't a civil lawsuit about this. I know KS is pretty janky with promises but it did clearly star on the page that the game was releasing on steam and it was one of the backing options.

What's to stop people suing them for shit like this?

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm surprised d there isn't a civil lawsuit about this. I know KS is pretty janky with promises but it did clearly star on the page that the game was releasing on steam and it was one of the backing options.

What's to stop people suing them for shit like this?
A lot of people on the project page comments are claiming that's the route they'll go if they don't get a steam key or a refund.

Natheren

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, I think that should be a valuable option but knowing Kickstarter its got some loopholes in the terms or service when backing a project. If anything this is only gonna hurt future indie titles. I know after getting burnt by Might 9 I've yet to back any other game.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Lack of refunds makes sense. This isn't like canceling a console or handheld platform; if you chose PC there is no new barrier to you playing the game you paid for. I doubt they'll change their minds since this is probably the publisher trying to recoup some cost on the project.
What cost? Please explain the actual costs if you are going to propose theories like this.

All I see is a publisher with a history of this, wanting MORE money

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Did you read the staff post about All their previous communications?

Because this sounds a thinly veiled "it's just another launcher lol"

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people on the project page comments are claiming that's the route they'll go if they don't get a steam key or a refund.

It would be very heartening to see them succeed in their case should they have to sue. Would nip a lot of this type of crap in the bud going forward (though I assume a case like that would take awhile)

sd_falter

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Ugh this whole situation reeks and just as I was getting into Shenmue HD to get hype for 3. I just wanted to be hype dangit!

I feel like the big issue here is a complete lack of transparency. I'd almost forgive the whole situation if Yu made a post to the effect of this offer has been presented by Epic and while the game is almost complete the funds we'd receive would keep the dev team afloat to start developing their next project. I'd endure EGS through gritted teeth if I knew the cost was the potential of Ys net living beyond Shenmue 3 and realizing some of the crazy prototypes Yu's worked on since he was sent to pasture by Sega.

As it stands with zero transparency we have no idea if the cash is just lining Deep Silver's pockets or what. That combined with the lol no refunds just makes me want to hit up ACCC out of spite ffs.

ByteSizeRick

Oct 27, 2017
Under the terms and conditions of Kickstarter applicable to the 2015 fundraising, it is very, very (!) difficult to bring a legal claim for refund (or really anything else). That's by design after Kickstarter was getting killed in the press under the more backer-friendly terms of 2012, and one reason that all backers should be cautious about the projects they choose to back under the current terms.

I posted a Virtual Legality episode on the topic. Feel free to share/post for anywhere folks might find it useful.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
What cost? Please explain the actual costs if you are going to propose theories like this.

All I see is a publisher with a history of this, wanting MORE money

Uh, development costs?

Of course they want a better return. They didn't help fund Shenmue out of the goodness of their hearts.

Did you read the staff post about All their previous communications?

Because this sounds a thinly veiled "it's just another launcher lol"

Compared to other platform changes, it is just another launcher. If Vita or Wii U game backers were simply told they needed to take a couple of extra steps to make their game work I'm sure they'd be elated. I empathize with people who cared that it was on Steam but at the end of the day I don't really buy that it's a significant enough change to warrant a refund.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this has been in works for sometime:

unknown.png

This is the EGS version of SteamDB? If so, this doesn't actually disprove that exclusivity wasn't a last minute pre-E3 deal. Deep Silver could easily have decided on a parallel Steam/EGS (and other stores?) release some months ago, updating the build on EGS as they would do on Steam to ensure version parity across both stores. Then decided on an exclusivity deal for some reason at some point before the reveal.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Its become clear to me that its deep silver who decided this when yu suzuki agreed without knowing the pc game community well. I think it may have caught him offguard and probably made him feel bad. I was harsh throughout the thread but I feel bad for yu suzuki

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, development costs?

Of course they want a better return. They didn't help fund Shenmue out of the goodness of their hearts.

Compared to other platform changes, it is just another launcher. If Vita or Wii U game backers were simply told they needed to take a couple of extra steps to make their game work I'm sure they'd be elated. I empathize with people who cared that it was on Steam but at the end of the day I don't really buy that it's a significant enough change to warrant a refund.

thousands of posts explaining why it's "not just another launcher" and a graveyard full of people who have come before you to try and argue that point, but you think you're going to be the special one who somehow makes that superficial argument coherent and avoid a ban, without ever reading what other people are saying.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Uh, development costs?

Cool! You don't know anything.

And you admit you are trolling.

I feel no remorse for your banning or any warnings.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, development costs?

Yup, you didn't read the staff posts.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
That would piss off the key resellers and besides, they're the one thing that people argue make Steam's control of the PC platform not a monopoly

I dont follow you here. The game
Would still be available so how would not letting then use steam's backend, feature set, and tools Be proof of a monopoly? Thats not the definition of a monopoly.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Deep Silver is in Deep Shit...

BTW, honest question, since I dont play on PC at all or have bought any EPIC Store games. Do you need the Epic Launcher to play the games? Or can you just install games and have Steam show them in the launcher and just launch it?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Deep Silver say that they are looking into refunds

Also
"This is going to help with the development of Shenmue and ensure it's going to be the best Shenmue in over a decade."
Uh, you didn't read:

"Update 2: Regarding the original quote on backer refunds, Deep Silver reached out to say this. "Deep Silver joined the project long after the Kickstarter was set up and
therefore isn't in a position to comment on the actions as we are not
involved in that side of the project."

For clarity, we've amended the headline and the original quote below. At this point, no discussion about backer refunds is taking place. Developer Ys Net is closely monitoring Kickstarter feedback.

Update: PR has reached out to add that "All questions regarding the Kickstarter campaign should be directed to [email protected]."

They are passing the buck. So no, Deep Silver ain't doing anything.

Maybe read more than just the url?

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Look, if I ordered specifically for chicken noodle in a can, and what I get is chicken noddle in a bowl instead, I'll not be willing to pay, even if it's the same chicken noodle instead. Different people have different reasons on why they'd want things. The least a seller could do is actually give the buyer the things they ordered.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I dont follow you here. The game
Would still be available so how would not letting then use steam's backend, feature set, and tools Be proof of a monopoly? Thats not the definition of a monopoly.

To be clear, I'm not saying it is, I'm saying that people say that key resellers existing are why steam's control of the pc market vs. EGS isn't one. I do think it's a dumb argument (in either direction) but I think it's funny that people are suggesting things that would actually undercut it.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Uh, development costs?

Sheesh, have people like you not learned from other shitposters/apologists on this forum who have gotten banned for the same shit earlier?

Read the staff posts.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Epic games has ruined its reputation on every side of the gaming communities. Tim sweeney seems like a sore loser and this is why he will continue as long he has got the money

Status
Not open for further replies.