• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately this is a lesson for people backing on KS. There are no guarantees or certainties. Promises made by creators are worth absolutely nothing until you have it in your hands.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Oof. If you needed the European version I'd tell you to ship the game to me and then I'd ship it to you, but if you need the NA version then nothing I can do, but someone from NA would probably volunteer if you ask around the forum.

But isn't the PS4 region free anyway?
Thanks for the offer.

My concern will be the so called KS exclusive DLC, telephone card. PSN Asia is legendary. DLC might not be available in PSN. Games available in Korean, Japanese or Chinese but not English.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
According to your narrative (and all who proclaim the epic deal is to finish the product), Ys needed all this to deliver Shenmue III

1. A prominent showing on Sony's stage before the Kickstarter
2. A Kickstarter that got three times the initial goal.
3. A big Publisher who funded them after the Kickstarter
4. Millions of Dollars from the Epic Exclusive Deal.

For Shenmue IV:
1. could happen.
2. The Kickstarter bridge is completely burned. Even if they have some hardcore fans left and want to make a Kickstarter for Shenmue IV, why would Kickstarter themselves allow this company to fuck them over again?
4. Epic won't still throw away money in 3 to 5 years (possible Shenmue IV release window). If they still need to secure Exclusives in 3 to 5 years, their store has failed.
and lastly 3. Why should Deep Silver or any other Publisher finance another game from this Studio if (according to the narrative) it could only be made with 2 additional revenue Streams that are not available anymore?

Shenmue IV will not happen.

I'm confused, how did Ys fuck over Kickstarter again?

Also I never said S3 needed any of that, there is a lot riding on the game for the studio and the fans, so getting hype and development funding is kinda important for getting good impressions, leading to selling copies and making enough money to make a sequel.

No company needs an extra million(s) for polishing, but if you are looking at a game that's been anticipated for 20 years and think you could create a better first impression and someone offers you a bag of money during your bug sweeps, you have a tough decision to make and a lot of jobs potentially on the line. Shenmue 4 would have a much more experienced team and designs nailed down and a partnership with the people that make the engine, 4 isnt quite as hopeless as you paint, fortunately.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Also I never said S3 needed any of that, there is a lot riding on the game for the studio and the fans, so getting hype and development funding is kinda important for getting good impressions, leading to selling copies and making enough money to make a sequel.

No company needs an extra million(s) for polishing, but if you are looking at a game that's been anticipated for 20 years and think you could create a better first impression and someone offers you a bag of money during your bug sweeps, you have a tough decision to make and a lot of jobs potentially on the line. Shenmue 4 would have a much more experienced team and designs nailed down and a partnership with the people that make the engine, 4 isnt quite as hopeless as you paint, fortunately.

The game is basically done, they're not going to redo backgrounds, animations or character models this close to release. And frankly, after the backers' money (close to 4 times what was initially asked), Sony's money and then Deep Silver's money, they had more than enough to deliver.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah one of the theories that was floating around in my head is that the dev may be aware that game wont sell well, for various reasons, and that the narrative relied on one more game so they may be taking a lump sum from epic to ensure it gets finished.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

immense backlash from people who kickstarted this game who try to get their money back from Kickstarter, who report the kickstarter page as fraud. With this and the decline of PC Kickstarters, this could be the nail in the coffin of big Kickstarted games because the loss of trust from the people who pledge on Kickstarter.

good impressions is very important, those impressions are currently everything BUT good.

No company needs an extra million(s) for polishing, but if you are looking at a game that's been anticipated for 20 years and think you could create a better first impression and someone offers you a bag of money during your big sweeps, you have a tough decision to make and a lot of jobs potentially on the line. Shenmue 4 would have a much more experienced team and designs nailed down and a partnership with the people that make the engine, 4 isnt quite as hopeless as you paint, fortunately.

And what happens when you don't see those polishing Millions in the quality of the game?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The game is basically done, they're not going to redo backgrounds, animations or character models this close to release. And frankly, after the backers' money (close to 4 times what was initially asked), Sony's money and then Deep Silver's money, they had more than enough to deliver.

Oh well there ya go I guess that's the definitive word then...

EDIT: has the game secretly launched and I'm not aware? Lots of assumptions on its quality treated as fact in here

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If Suzuki has to go it alone for Shenmue IV as he did III, it's dead. He won't get it crowdfunded, not after this stunt; if Shenmue reviews and sells badly then publishers won't touch it with a ten foot barge pole; and Epic isn't going to be paying for exclusives forever. In fact, the only reason they moneyhatted this is for the backers, to get them to install their client. It's not like they looked at Shenmue and saw an opportunity to get people buying games through their client; it was solely about getting their install numbers up.

The only way this ship ain't sinking is if Sega jumps back in and manages their own fucking IP for a change. And it's about time they did, because all YsNet has done is shamble from one cockup to another for four years, culminating in a slap in the face and a kick in the teeth to the fans who got this project off the ground in the first place.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I do feel bad for the kickstarter team for having to deal with the mass reports the project is getting. Someone has to sift through all of that.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: has the game secretly launched and I'm not aware? Lots of assumptions treated as fact in this thread

That's what Suzuki said:

Whilst almost ready, the game simply needs a little more refinement before being truly finished.

We feel that the extra time we have will help us deliver the true Shenmue experience players around the world deserve!

We thank you for your patience and understanding,

Yu Suzuki & Deep Silver

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
If Suzuki has to go it alone for Shenmue IV as he did III, it's dead. He won't get it crowdfunded, not after this stunt; if Shenmue reviews and sells badly then publishers won't touch it with a ten foot barge pole; and Epic isn't going to be paying for exclusives forever. In fact, the only reason they moneyhatted this is for the backers, to get them to install their client. It's not like they looked at Shenmue and saw an opportunity to get people buying games through their client; it was solely about getting their install numbers up.

The only way this ship ain't sinking is if Sega jumps back in and manages their own fucking IP for a change. And it's about time they did, because all YsNet has done is shamble from one cockup to another for four years, culminating in a slap in the face and a kick in the teeth to the fans who got this project off the ground in the first place.
Indeed. If the game reviews bad and Suzuki losing all support from the backers, the game is already dead

RI fucking P

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah one of the theories that was floating around in my head is that the dev may be aware that game wont sell well, for various reasons, and that the narrative relied on one more game so they may be taking a lump sum from epic to ensure it gets finished.

Well we can look at how previous kickstarters did, compare backers to those that purchased the game after launch, and see how Shenmue might do. 69,000+ backers doesn't typically translate to crappy sales. Most Kickstarter games have niche appeal, too, so I don't see that as any kind of argument.

Oct 30, 2017
I really wonder how much money it cost them to record another awful English dub. The fact they felt like it was necessary to include two audio tracks was the first sign that this game might not be on the right track. What a waste of resources.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I don't understand how people who work for places like these stick around. People who grew up playing awesome games and hoping to one day be in the credits of one. I wouldn't be able to do work under such conditions just for a paycheck. I suppose the alternative is to starve?

It seems like nobody is genuine anymore. It's just people who do X to get Y, where Y is a paycheck. As opposed to following your passion and doing what you feel is right/good for the world.

No one went into the business to release games on Steam.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't paid as much attention to this as I should have (Thanks to E3, which I am sure is partly the *point* of the timeliness of such an announcement), but surely some journalists have picked up this story? Obviously, Epic isn't going to comment much on this, and nor should they -- I think people need to get past Epic at this point, and focus cleanly on the developers and publishers who make these last-minute decisions. It would seem like journalists would have better luck getting in touch with Deep Silver or Ys. The reason being: I don't think there's any moral accountability at Epic these days. They've made it abundantly clear that they do not care what anyone thinks, and intend to proceed in this manner. Publishers and developers who take advantage of their money, though, may be more susceptible to criticism.

This is such a raw deal, it's actually obscene. And I tend not to steer into hyperbolic language when it comes to this industry, but there is no charitable reading you can reasonably give this turn of events without being both blind and / or a bad actor. The fact that they aren't even offering refunds is mind-blowing, since I suspect as much fire as you see on the day, only a small percentage of backers would actually request them.

edit: Thank God for Jim Sterling

Last edited:

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No one went into the business to release games on Steam.

I'm referring to the fact that Epic is fucking with consumers, the biggest supporters of the game in question, for their own benefit. I wouldn't have the heart to do such a thing personally, nor do I think that I would be able to contribute meaningfully by working for a company that doesn't feel any shame for actions like these. I'd leave and starve.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
erm... you are the one who said that they needed the money for polishing.

They delayed the game during polishing and then conveniently announced a big cash injection from Epic, come on it's not calculus. Its a lot more reasonable than saying they are just taking money... just because? Because they WANT to fuck their PC fans? Like what is Yu's motivation here? To purposely tank this IP hes poured his life into?

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm referring to the fact that Epic is fucking with consumers, the biggest supporters of the game in question, for their own benefit. I wouldn't have the heart to do such a thing personally, nor do I think that I would be able to contribute meaningfully by working for a company that doesn't feel any shame for actions like these. I'd leave and starve.

I despise Epic but this is silly. Sometimes a job is a job.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (3 days): ignoring staff post and antagonizing other members
tbh all the reactions in here are pretty nuts to me. "Look at how they fucked over the fans!!!"

It's one thing to promise a physical release then only deliver a digital code, or determine your console region based on mailing address, that's some bullshit. But the reaction to the storefront swap seems so overblown to me. I think it's annoying having to switch stores all the time, but I've had to fix and Frankenstein jank-ass Dreamcasts to play Shenmue for 20 years...I'm keeping some perspective here.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Timed exclusivity means nothing to me as a $175 backer. I chose all the combat perks for the steam version, and now I''m being forced to get an epic code. Nice job fucking the people that helped make this dream game possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I don't understand how people who work for places like these stick around. People who grew up playing awesome games and hoping to one day be in the credits of one. I wouldn't be able to do work under such conditions just for a paycheck. I suppose the alternative is to starve?

It seems like nobody is genuine anymore. It's just people who do X to get Y, where Y is a paycheck. As opposed to following your passion and doing what you feel is right/good for the world.
Making a game is expensive. I absolutely understand why developers and publishers would take deals like this to be able to finish their game and make the game as good as it can be. Every year a game is delayed is a year extra of payroll. This game has been substantially delayed since the originally planned release date, which would mean it's substantially over budget. In the end I imagine they make a utilitarian calculation. How many people are negatively affected by the game not releasing at all or releasing in a very poor state. Vs how many people are affected by making the release exclusive to a store front that some people refuse to support, and a certain number of players are unable to use (because of operating system or residing in the wrong country). Assuming this is all about greed is a big oversimplification.

That they won't provide refunds and are breaking promises made makes it a lot harder to sympathize with the decision. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a difficult decision made out of necessity rather than malice/greed. Hopefully they'll get legally smacked down if they don't change their minds on refunds

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Actually to an earlier point above. As part of my pledge I (and many other backers) were supposed to get an early access/beta to the game on Steam. What happens now, that just goes "poof", sorry about that folks, enjoy your EGS code?

Nyteshade517

Oct 25, 2017
tbh all the reactions in here are pretty nuts to me. "Look at how they fucked over the fans!!!"

It's one thing to promise a physical release then only deliver a digital code, or determine your console region based on mailing address, that's some bullshit. But the reaction to the storefront swap seems so overblown to me. I think it's annoying having to switch stores all the time, but I've had to fix and Frankenstein jank-ass Dreamcasts to play Shenmue for 20 years...I'm keeping some perspective here.

My personal experience with Epic has been pretty awful so that's why I am so against them & what they are doing.

I haven't been able to log in to my Epic account for nearly 2 years. I had Two Factor Authentication turned on and the only way I could log in was getting a code emailed to me to put in after I logged on. Problem is their 2FA process completely broke and they stopped ever sending emails with codes so I had to finally contact them to try and get that off my account. I gave them every bit of info they asked for to confirm, my identity & even gave them a copy of my actual ID and they still refused to give me access to my own account.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
It was not so long ago that Epic was championed as a hero, my how quickly things change.

Yeah Jim's journey on this has been interesting to say the least. He had a major hate boner for Steam (for some good reasons) and was willing to champion them until... well Epic became increasingly shit. And even then, he was going soft on them... toothless in the beginning.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017

So you think it's ok for them to offer you one thing then at the last min change it to another exclusively without any warning and then not offer refunds to the people that don't like the change?

So you ever care about why EGS can be problematic for some people?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Even as someone who generally isn't bothered by Epic locking down exclusives and who backed the PS4 version of this game, this really sucks (to put it mildly). I wonder how much of a conversation there was about this situation between Epic, Deep Silver and Ys Net? How they don't include an exception to the exclusivity deal for backers is beyond me. Outside of that, I think my only real issue with Epic locking down exclusives is that they seem to be spending all of their time doing that instead of making the feature set their store app better.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018

EGS is a bad actor, hostile to the PC gaming ecosystem. It's a big deal to force people to use that platform. It's an even bigger deal that the Shenmue 3 folks advertised one thing, accepted money to make that thing, and didn't deliver.

Oct 30, 2017

EDIT: has the game secretly launched and I'm not aware? Lots of assumptions on its quality treated as fact in here
I mean, this is what one of the NPCs in the latest showcase trailer looks like:

nuJeYfv.png

Quality isn't the first word that comes to mind.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Timmy probably doesn't even think the game will sell well on EGS, he just wants to force the already locked in kickstarter backers into installing his store, inflating its numbers.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

"I've had to fix a console so people shouldn't complain about not being given the product they ordered" is certainly not a take I was expecting to see today.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
Soooo, can we still swap out physical copies or is that method in the threadmark only for digital ones?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Timmy probably doesn't even think the game will sell well on EGS, he just wants to force the already locked in kickstarter backers into installing his store, inflating its numbers.
That's an awful lot of money to spend to get like, maybe 20K more people on Epic Game Store. The Kickstarter doesn't have very many backers, all told. Epic probably get more than 20K new users every single day.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
According to your narrative (and all who proclaim the epic deal is to finish the product), Ys needed all this to deliver Shenmue III

1. A prominent showing on Sony's stage before the Kickstarter
2. A Kickstarter that got three times the initial goal.
3. A big Publisher who funded them after the Kickstarter
4. Millions of Dollars from the Epic Exclusive Deal.

For Shenmue IV:
1. could happen.
2. The Kickstarter bridge is completely burned. Even if they have some hardcore fans left and want to make a Kickstarter for Shenmue IV, why would Kickstarter themselves allow this company to fuck them over again?
4. Epic won't still throw away money in 3 to 5 years (possible Shenmue IV release window). If they still need to secure Exclusives in 3 to 5 years, their store has failed.
and lastly 3. Why should Deep Silver or any other Publisher finance another game from this Studio if (according to the narrative) it could only be made with 2 additional revenue Streams that are not available anymore?

Shenmue IV will not happen.

This a really weird leap. They can still do a kickstarter, they can secure publisher funding. They can use profit from S3 to make S4.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

Still kinda amazed that Bloodstained escaped this. I think with the amount of money that game got, it gave IGA some control over the game. I believe Deep Silver was originally looking to publish and own the IP, but to my knowledge IGA walked from that deal, kept full ownership of the IP, and partnered with 505.

There's a good chance he didn't get the investor money from the pitch, assuming the investor was Deep Silver, simply because fans fully funded the budget by extending all of the goals and running past the initial suggested target.

Status
Not open for further replies.