• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually stupid.

The game was previously announced/kickstarted and the people who FUNDED some of this game deserve to play on their platform of choice.

This is a 180 for me, FUCK EGS.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Epic really could have been an positive prescence in the PC gaming space.
If they competed with Steam by offering better features and prices.

But no, they continually try to bully and moneyhat their way to the top of the pile all the while offering less than the competition.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I don't have a dog in this fight and I don't have strong feelings about EGS, but even if the KS campaign didn't explicitly mention Steam, people who backed for "PC" had a reasonable expectation of a Steam release. "PC" has been shorthand for Steam for years. DS may not have specifically promised Steam, but it's tone deaf and a bit disenguous to not recognize or admi that backers had a reason to believe they would be getting a Steam key.
I mean no tho they literally selected PC, and you had options between PC or STEAM Physical Discs.

They very much let you pick steam and even added an upgrade to go to a PC version of the game to kickstarter.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
look they're trying to save pc gaming okay
This is massive horseshit.
Man, Epic could have done so much interesting stuff with their PC storefront (funding exclusive graphical PC showcases, bringing obscure JP games and paying for translations, Indie jams with budget as winning prize).
But instead we got ramming endless cash down publishers' throats.

Oct 27, 2017
There was an article or interview with Nagoshi recently where he said Sega begged him to stop Yu Suzuki from adding things to Shenmue because it felt like the game would never come out. I think he needed a Nagoshi on his new team. Instead, he hooked up with a European publisher with an increasingly terrible reputation and countless financial backers we don't know the identity of. Then he made a deal with the Deio (Epic).

This is a saga in its own right. Who wants to make the Yu Suzuki Story RPG?
I'm convinced the Yakuza series is Nagoshi's autobiography.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
so now it's a timed exclusive again?

all right, no rush.

Still, hope the backers can get their money refunded.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I will just rent it out for free.
This is how I thank Epic.

Try this instead.

I was thinking of getting some of 120 dollars back by selling the whole pack for like 100 or something.

Many of us have been trying to understand the same thing. Never got a straight answer why buying up third party exclusives is good for the consumer. Closest we ever get is that it will eventually be good for consumers... cause .. reasons. Reasons never really articulate other than reagonomics.
yea with their lack of features, and shadiness is why I didn't bother getting EGS, but after this, I don't see myself installing ever.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The ideal solution would be for them to provide backers with Steam keys, as promised.
Then, failing that, refunds, which I believe they're legally and morally obligated to provide.
Changing my platform is basically last resort. I don't want or need a second PS4 copy. But at least I'd be able to sell or give it away. Wouldn't be a complete waste.

Apparently the exclusivity was going to be permanent but became timed because of the backlash? Like that's gonna fix the issue. Even if the exclusivity is timed, my "Physical Steam Disc" I ordered is now permanently a "Physical Epic Games Store Disc".

The only acceptable solution here is to find a way to give backers of the PC version a Steam code for both digital and physical orders.

I don't speak Japanese and I know Google translate isn't always entirely accurate, but...there appears to be nothing in this article to support what this tweet is implying. That's just not what the article is saying at all?

Seems like wrongful editorializing on behalf of whoever that Twitter person is.

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Epic Store exclusive? Meh whatever, I personally think that's a poor business decision but it'll be up to the consumer to decide whether they wanna buy the game on PC or not.

No refunds, however, is a shit move, especially after it was advertised as a Steam release. Makes me glad that I didn't back the Kickstarter, and I hope PC gamers boycott the game as a result.

Oct 27, 2017
This is massive horseshit.
Man, Epic could have done so much interesting stuff with their PC storefront (funding exclusive graphical PC showcases, bringing obscure JP games and paying for translations, Indie jams with budget as winning prize).
But instead we got ramming endless cash down publishers' throats.
Hear, hear
Competition is good when you're trying to get better, not by making others worse.

Oct 30, 2017
The ideal solution would be for them to provide backers with Steam keys, as promised.
Then refunds, which I believe they're legally and morally obligated to provide.
Changing my platform is basically last resort. I don't want or need a second PS4 copy. But at least I'd be able to sell or give it away. Wouldn't be a complete waste.

I don't speak Japanese and I know Google translate isn't always entirely accurate, but...there appears to be nothing in this article to support what this tweet is implying. That's just not what the article is saying at all?

Seems like wrongful editorializing on behalf of whoever that Twitter person is.
I don't really see grounds for a refund if they do somehow provide Steam Keys, but I think the PR damage is irreparable regardless.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently the exclusivity was going to be permanent but became timed because of the backlash? Like that's gonna fix the issue. Even if the exclusivity is timed, my "Physical Steam Disc" I ordered is now permanently a "Physical Epic Games Store Disc".

The only acceptable solution here is to find a way to give backers of the PC version a Steam code for both digital and physical orders.

And it's not even a disc, it's a download code now. The worst possible scam.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): ignoring staff post
Epic Store exclusive? Meh whatever, I personally think that's a poor business decision but it'll be up to the consumer to decide whether they wanna buy the game on PC or not.

No refunds, however, is a shit move, especially after it was advertised as a Steam release. Makes me glad that I didn't back the Kickstarter, and I hope PC gamers boycott the game as a result.
It wasn't "advertised" as a steam copy from the start of the KS to the end of the KS (30 days). Yes, surveys and updates stated steam but I bet those are under "subject to change". Purely speaking from a legal standpoint.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll just sell mine on Ebay.
Probably will do the same and just rebuy when it's on Steam. I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer.

Purposefully chose PC so it can be part of the massive library of games I own. Having to install the Epic launcher just so I could access this one game messes with my OCD way too much. I'd like to think the devs will do us a solid and still give us Steam keys even when it's not available to buy on Steam, but it looks like we'll be done dirty.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a dog in this fight and I don't have strong feelings about EGS, but even if the KS campaign didn't explicitly mention Steam, people who backed for "PC" had a reasonable expectation of a Steam release. "PC" has been shorthand for Steam for years. DS may not have specifically promised Steam, but it's tone deaf and a bit disenguous to not recognize or admi that backers had a reason to believe they would be getting a Steam key.
The Kickstarter itself didn't explicitly mention Steam, but the slacker backer campaign did.

I put $100 into a physical PS4 version in 2015, then when I was filling out my backer survey I paid an extra $29 to get a Steam key. They were explicit that it was a Steam key that I was paying $29 for.

They were happily taking people's money, promoting it as a Steam game until the very end of the crowdfunding campaign (outside of Kickstarter) and beyond.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see grounds for a refund if they do somehow provide Steam Keys, but I think the PR damage is irreparable regardless.
Oh I meant if they fail to provide Steam keys, the second best solution would be if they granted refunds.
They've basically said they won't do either, but I reckon there's still time for things to change, even if it's doubtful.

Oct 30, 2017
Oh I meant if they fail to provide Steam keys, the second best solution would be if they granted refunds.
They've basically said they won't do either, but I reckon there's still time for things to change, even if it's doubtful.
I have a feeling Epic has their hands tied with regard to providing Steam Keys. That's not to say Deep Silver/Ys Net are innocent victims of Epic. Now, if Epic wants to be the 'good guy,' they'd better give them this chance to at least right what they did to their backers.

Hardan

Oct 28, 2017

I think there is a good chance that they at least provide the steam keys to the backer. The last "official update" we got was the addition to the FAQ (steam in the future) so there seems to be something going on in relation to the backlash. I guess it's also tricky as this is probably an exchange between Offices in Japan, Europe and US so it will take some time to get more info and clarifications...

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Probably will do the same and just rebuy when it's on Steam. I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer.

Purposefully chose PC so it can be part of the massive library of games I own. Having to install the Epic launcher just so I could access this one game messes with my OCD way too much. I'd like to think the devs will do us a solid and still give us Steam keys even when it's not available to buy on Steam, but it looks like we'll be done dirty.
Ditto. I already hate using battlenet and origins and I said fuck outta here with Uplay.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you want to promote a game but hurt the developer's ability to make another game in the same series?
Shenmue will live with that Epic money backing them.
EDIT: Understood that wrong.

I dunno why you're going out of your way doing this... lol
Edited:
The Epic PC exclusive is not my only issue because I pledged twice.
Ys already totalled my PS4 copy (First pledge) by dictating my game region based on my shipping address. Now my second pledge, a PC hard copy turned to a coaster with a Epic voucher code.
Seems like Ys is out for my blood..

Last edited:

Nyteshade517

Oct 25, 2017
People just need to realize that Epic is doing all of this to stop Steam from being "anti-competitive"...

...by buying up games and making them exclusive to only one platform and not having any competition for sales

Wait... (Epic are hypocrites is the moral of this story)

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Its BS. I dont like the janky Epic storefront and it wasnt what I agreed to. They lied period. I will charge the fucker back. I dont care.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Shenmue will live with that Epic money backing them.
The Epic PC exclusive is not my main issue. Ys already totalled my PS4 copy by dictating my game region based on my shipping address. Seems like Ys is out for my blood..
Oof. What game region do you need and where do you live?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
That delay certainly makes more sense now. Epic is throwing around cash for polishing phase, and on top of dropping license fees for UE4 it's probably an amazing deal for Ys.

Listen, as long as we get Shenmue 4....

According to your narrative (and all who proclaim the epic deal is to finish the product), Ys needed all this to deliver Shenmue III

1. A prominent showing on Sony's stage before the Kickstarter
2. A Kickstarter that got three times the initial goal.
3. A big Publisher who funded them after the Kickstarter
4. Millions of Dollars from the Epic Exclusive Deal.

For Shenmue IV:
1. could happen.
2. The Kickstarter bridge is completely burned. Even if they have some hardcore fans left and want to make a Kickstarter for Shenmue IV, why would Kickstarter themselves allow this company to fuck them over again?
4. Epic won't still throw away money in 3 to 5 years (possible Shenmue IV release window). If they still need to secure Exclusives in 3 to 5 years, their store has failed.
and lastly 3. Why should Deep Silver or any other Publisher finance another game from this Studio if (according to the narrative) it could only be made with 2 additional revenue Streams that are not available anymore?

Shenmue IV will not happen.

Jun 26, 2018
If it does end up being a timed exclusive, but backers don't get their steam keys on release day, then that's just spitting in the face of the people who supported them.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So what is the difference between the 29$ digital version, and the now 60$ PC physical edition, which is a box with an EPIC Store Key in it?

That feels like another bait and switch here.

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
The EGS really has shown us the true colors of the game industry. They dont care about us as customers at all.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
No refunds? Wow.
full

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
NA, R1. I live in Malaysia, R3.
Oof. If you needed the European version I'd tell you to ship the game to me and then I'd ship it to you, but if you need the NA version then nothing I can do, but someone from NA would probably volunteer if you ask around the forum.

But isn't the PS4 region free anyway?

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The EGS really has shown us the true colors of the game industry. They dont care about us as customers at all.

I don't understand how people who work for places like these stick around. People who grew up playing awesome games and hoping to one day be in the credits of one. I wouldn't be able to do work under such conditions just for a paycheck. I suppose the alternative is to starve?

It seems like nobody is genuine anymore. It's just people who do X to get Y, where Y is a paycheck. As opposed to following your passion and doing what you feel is right/good for the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.