• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
im in colorado and i still haven't received my email tracking yet, maybe because im so close to the shipment center they will wat till friday to ship

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I expect divisive reviews bc it's not for everybody and it doesn't have AAA graphics. Kate from usgamer already said she hates the series (then later deleted her comment) and she's the one reviewing the game so expect a 4 from her. Whatever I already know I'm going to love it based off the demo.
Sounds like Shenmue fans are gonna lose their cool over the reviews. Hope they don't harass the critics.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I switched my physical PS4 copy to digital, but I still got an email from Fangamer saying they wanted to confirm my shipping address.

Also, my Limited Run Games Shenmue III CE shipped today!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone tey the PS4 version? I wonder if they are supporting the DualShock 4 with all its features. It will work well with it.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
got a "shipment" notice. it actually specifically says it has not shipped, but they have given me a tracking number and will be "releasing it to USPS closer to release date"

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Book carrying was honestly one of the best meditative parts of Shenmue II, primarily because it provides foreshadowing and risk-free reaction time training for later stages of the game.

It's effectively a tutorial without tutorialising. Get good enough to complete the task, and you're rewarded with move scrolls. Game the system by failing enough times to end the session, and you're free to progress elsewhere. Player's choice, but they're best heeding the lessons the game tries to teach them.

Plus, it's a good example of tying the character and story to the player. Ryo is told to slow down and contemplate, so the player must do so too. One of things Shenmue II does so superbly is resisting the temptation to hold its foot to the accelerator for the duration of the game. It knows that a relentless "GO GO GO" mentality has diminishing returns, and good pacing is made of peaks and troughs.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Book carrying was honestly one of the best meditative parts of Shenmue II, primarily because it provides foreshadowing and risk-free reaction time training for later stages of the game.

It's effectively a tutorial without tutorialising. Get good enough to complete the task, and you're rewarded with move scrolls. Game the system by failing enough times to end the session, and you're free to progress elsewhere. Player's choice, but they're best heeding the lessons the game tries to teach them.

Plus, it's a good example of tying the character and story to the player. Ryo is told to slow down and contemplate, so the player must do so too. One of things Shenmue II does so superbly is resisting the temptation to hold its foot to the accelerator for the duration of the game. It knows that a relentless "GO GO GO" mentality has diminishing returns, and good pacing is made of peaks and troughs.
I think it's like in movie or series where a weird, respected master gives his student an abstract task.

Dec 7, 2018
Not to be a party pooper for those wanting to get revenge on Lan Di....but you guys do realize that we are most likely getting our ass kicked in this game aswell, right?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I think it's like in movie or series where a weird, respected master gives his student an abstract task.
Oh definitely.

Big kung fu movie trope in menial tasks making the protagonist stronger/smarter; whether they understand the lesson until the last possible minute or not. Applies for the player too in this respect, I guess.

Stavik

Nov 12, 2019
I have no personal interest in this game but I really hope it's awesome for the people who backed the game! Excited to hear their thoughts

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be a party pooper for those wanting to get revenge on Lan Di....but you guys do realize that we are most likely getting our ass kicked in this game aswell, right?
I don't even understand why people want revenge on Lan Di. What is known about his motivations for killing Iwao Hazuki isn't exactly unrelatable from the protagonist's point of view. The story is bigger than that first scene in Shenmue 1. I'm reserving judgement for what I want to happen to Lan Di until I know more.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't even understand why people want revenge on Lan Di. What is known about his motivations for killing Iwao Hazuki isn't exactly unrelatable from the protagonist's point of view. The story is bigger than that first scene in Shenmue 1. I'm reserving judgement for what I want to happen to Lan Di until I know more.

He killed my father.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I expect divisive reviews bc it's not for everybody and it doesn't have AAA graphics. Kate from usgamer already said she hates the series (then later deleted her comment) and she's the one reviewing the game so expect a 4 from her. Whatever I already know I'm going to love it based off the demo.

They didn't have somebody else within their staff to assign to the game other than the person who hates the series? Geez, that bodes well!

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mine hasn't shipped yet, hope it does soon. West to east USPS is super slow. I'm playing The Outer Worlds currently, so it's no rush, but I want it, I want it!

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Well, to be fair (S2 spoilers) No-one seems completely sure whether or not Iwao murdered Sunming Zhao. Yuanda Zhu had no idea if he did and Lan Di didn't exactly give him much room to deny it.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Definitely.

There's a lot more going on than simply "get revenge, go home". Shenmue II spends a lot of time questioning Ryo's motives and makes it painfully clear he's unprepared to fight Lan Di let alone capable of winning.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
My thoughts exactly.
I don't mind criticism or bad scores but this preview is just.....off. It's just bad imo.
Here's her preview
Shenmue 3 Can't Help Betraying the Spirit of the Original Game

It's fine that she doesn't like Shenmue, that's whatever, but the snotty tone in the article and the way she's wildly dismissive of the original games' achievements rubs me the wrong way.

I noticed she wrote this in the comments section...

I'm just not seeing the point of this game outside of making a few bucks and appeasing a tiny clutch of diehard fans. The original game didn't have much to redeem it, but it at least was ambitious and original. Shenmue 3 is just a relic designed to evoke the ghosts of a bygone age. The original doesn't hold up outside of nostalgia, and the sequel doesn't either.

Man, what a mean-spirited and cynical take towards something that so many consider a miracle to be actually happening.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well, to be fair (S2 spoilers) No-one seems completely sure whether or not Iwao murdered Sunming Zhao. Yuanda Zhu had no idea if he did and Lan Di didn't exactly give him much room to deny it.
I have a feeling Zhu knows way, way more than he's letting on. Replaying Shenmue 2 a few times and despite several people talking about how knowledgeable the guy is, he sure seems to keep things vague when you meet him, it contradicts certain things Chen tells you in the first game. Now, assuming its not just the writers forgetting parts of Shenmue 1 (unlikely since the story has been complete for a long time), I really wouldn't be surprised to see Zhu having more impact in the plot down the line.

Oct 30, 2017
It's fine that she doesn't like Shenmue, that's whatever, but the snotty tone in the article and the way she's wildly dismissive of the original games' achievements rubs me the wrong way.

I noticed she wrote this in the comments section...

Man, what a mean-spirited and cynical take towards something that so many consider a miracle to be actually happening.
I don't see why they're making a game to please people who want to play the game. Sound logic. It's interesting how the fact the game is still the most funded VG Kickstarter of all time is always ignored by these writers.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
He killed my father.
Your father (probably) killed his. Lan Di had the same motivations for killing your father as you have for killing him. What makes you more noble?

For me Shenmue is an adventure for answers rather than revenge and there is about a million loose plot points after Shenmue II. We'll see who deserves/deserved what as the series continues.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Presumably two shipments, but yet to be confirmed.

Did you confirm your address when Fangamer asked a month or so ago? Are you PS4/PC, digital/physical?

Yeah I confirmed when I was asked to.

I missed that I did get an email from the UK dispatcher a couple of weeks ago, since i'm in France it must mean I'm close enough for it to get shipped last minute.

I'm PS4 physical

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Just got my shipping confirmation. (Like the one in the OP, it's packed and ready to ship, tracking number not yet active.)