• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm... Interesting. Got a source? I totally believe you, but I'm wondering if he's playing with words, like "I wasn't involved, but someone else at Valve was". There must have been some involvement somewhere along the line, since (afaik) Valve has staff who act as business partners/liaisons with devs/pubs, but maybe MS made the decision on their own, and then contacted Valve? Hmmm.

Well it was posted on Reddit; but Gabe's exact words are that it was simple for them and credits Phil Spencer for making it happen.

Reddit Link
el09a6i14rm21.jpg

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The play is that they bring in an audience who is essentially forced to engage with their storefront who otherwise wouldn't have done so.

Where's the endgame though? It's not like EGS actually has a monopoly on PC gaming, Steam was and will continue to be their biggest competitor. It's like they're swimming upstream: yeah, you'll make some progress if you put everything you have into it but you will run out of energy eventually and once that happens, the current takes over.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Well it was posted on Reddit; but Gabe's exact words are that it was simple for them and credits Phil Spencer for making it happen.

Reddit Link
el09a6i14rm21.jpg

Hmmmm... Rather vague, I'd say, but fair enough. :)

The play is that they bring in an audience who is essentially forced to engage with their storefront who otherwise wouldn't have done so.

The flip-side of that is that they're antagonising people who may have otherwise been neutral to EGS without this play.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reality to that is Epic isn't giving out enough money to get those kind of big budget AAA games

It's the indies who are taking on (arguably) more risk who see the appeal in taking the bribe check. Shenmue III, seedy publisher aside, could definitely be viewed as an indie game in its own right too.

It's not just the money, it's the loss of goodwill. AAA publishers have more to lose by pissing people off, as they have future games for sure in the pipeline. An indie can make one game and cash out if they get lucky, and if they don't, they got the Epic money to cover costs and they can go work for someone else again.

EGS has become toxic enough at this point that exclusivity deals might cause long-term brand damage, and there's enough competition in the non-AAA PC space that any sort of brand damage can do serious damage, since there are so many other options.

I think Epic's force people into getting EGS, with the games they're managing to get, isn't going to work. There's enough competition out there, and they can't the game people want no matter what, that folks will go, ok, I just don't have to buy this.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care that much about EGS exclusives in general, but doing it with crowdfunded games is just incredibly scummy. I'd change my survey to PS4, but I'm worried some of the backer exclusive content will never be available again even if it eventually released on Steam.

Have they mentioned anything about making that content available as separate DLC at some point? If I can get that stuff later on PC, I'll just wait to see if it eventually comes to Steam and buy it during a sale.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Where's the endgame though? It's not like EGS actually has a monopoly on PC gaming, Steam was and will continue to be their biggest competitor. It's like they're swimming upstream: yeah, you'll make some progress if you put everything you have into it but you will run out of energy eventually and once that happens, the current takes over.
True.

But Epic have made it clear they will do whatever it takes to get a foothold regardless of whether or not that will actually work out long term

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Hello UmbrellaCarp,
Thank you very much for contacting us.
The launch was previously planned for distribution on Steam, however it was decided together with Deep Silver after much discussion that the Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option.
Shenmue III will be distributed through the Epic Games Store and will require the Epic Games Store Client to activate.
We apologize for the sudden change in platform, however, refunds will not be granted for this change.
We thank you for your support and look forward to delivering the Shenmue experience fans everywhere have been waiting so long for.
Best Regards,
The Shenmue III Team

This is disgraceful.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
You know I really don't care because if Valve DOESN'T give a damn about this and from the looks of it. They don't. Because they haven't done anything to attack back and it seems like they are sitting on their hands because if they did they would've done something by now. What Epic Games is doing is trying to monopolize the PC gaming market and turn it into a console market where exclusively of this nature occurs and I don't see Valve doing anything to try and counter it.

They counter it by not playing Epic's game and continuing to operate as usual. Give Epic enough rope to hang themselves, etc.

Clearly they care, but having them employ similar tactics in retaliation would be even more disastrous. I'm not sure what you have in mind though? Honestly Valve are doing fine amidst all of this and judging by the high volume of high profile games recently confirmed for steam, they'll continue to be fine.

I'm not even sure Epic have a plan outside of the whole wrangling a captive audience thing anyway. If they have, for example, Shenmue fans (which it really seems that they don't) what do they do to keep them after? What do they do to keep anyone they draw in for an exclusive or free game?

Most of the titles they're snatching like this and Phoenix Point are far from being gigantic draws and even the Ubisoft deal benefits Ubisoft more than Epic. It's hard for me to understand how they want this all to transition once they're done blowing fortnite cash when they don't seem to want to cultivate an audience that likes them, their practices or their platform.

Maybe you can get people on your platform by force, but you gotta get them to stay, and eventually you gotta at least try to make them choose it voluntarily. Gonna be tough at this rate to say the least. Their safest bet is pulling in their built in audience, but again, not sure Phoenix Point and Shenmue are going to blow away the fortnight crowd. It all seems like a total mess and I'd love to know how well it's working for them and the publishers/devs involved.

Liferebooted

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Mod Post, Platform Warring
Real Shenmue fans will keep playing it on console anyways like the game is meant to be played, its not a pc game.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a dog in this race but I'd be livid if something like this happened to me! Is there no court that can to something about this!? People have literally been swindled!!!

Also Jesus Christ at the hot takes; basically " I haven't read the OP/threadmarks/Staff posts but here's my piping hot take...

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I mean, maybe they no longer have your funds have gone into production, you know?

Didn't know that money is purpose specific and can't be used if it is not the "same".

Person A: "Hey buddy can you loan me 10 bucks?"
Person B: "Sure, no problem. Just pay me back when you have your next paycheck."

Person B: "So, what about the 10 bucks I loaned you?"
Person A: "I spent those, my current money has nothing to do with it."

They got Millions from epic, they have enough money to refund it.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the titles they're snatching like this and Phoenix Point are far from being gigantic draws and even the Ubisoft deal benefits Ubisoft more than Epic. It's hard for me to understand how they want this all to transition once they're done blowing fortnite cash when they don't seem to want to cultivate an audience that likes them, their practices or their platform.

It's the thing that people who say "Oh, you just want it on your platform of choice and this is just another launcher" actually ignore. Like, brand loyalty isn't necessarily a bad thing for company, consumer, or the devs/pubs/middle-men in-between. A happy consumer is a consumer who spends more money, tries new products, and brings new consumers into the fold.

Epic are literally just chucking the standard business play-book out the window and saying "Fuck it, we know better than the actual retail industry that's existed for hundreds of years".

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Real Shenmue fans should wait till Sega releases a new console and the game gets ported there. Everyone else playing it is a fraud if you ask me.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I'm mad, literally mad for this. For years Shenmue 3 couldn't be developed because no one would give Suzuki money.
Suzuki used E3 to ask money to the fans in order to create the game, first time I saw something like this.
The Kickstarter was successful, plenty of money left and right between Sony's helping, Deep Silver entering as publisher etc.
The game is almost done THANKS TO THE FANS, it get delayed like two months before the release. Ok, waiting for a better product is not a problem. Now the game is exclusive for a platform which wasn't even a thing in 2015, Ys Net is denying refunds even if this break Kickstarter legal terms. Basically people helping to make a game and are now treated like useless garbage, like we took your money, deal with it. Giving backers Steam keys would cost them NOTHING.

l.a.r.t

Nov 17, 2017
Where's the endgame though? It's not like EGS actually has a monopoly on PC gaming, Steam was and will continue to be their biggest competitor.

EG understood that no client feature parity, a better client or better prices would bring users to buy into the competition. They are fighting the users collections, their Steam libraries. They want users to spread their games over multiple storefronts and adapt to them. If you have spent money in the EG ecosystem, users will lose their connection to their library and then better prices and/or an equal client will come into play.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EG understood that no client feature parity, a better client or better prices would bring users to buy into the competition. They are fighting the users collections, their Steam libraries. They want users to spread their games over multiple storefronts and adapt to them. If you have spent money in the EG ecosystem, users will lose their connection to their library and then better prices and/or an equal client will come into play.

Fun stuff I have games in:

Steam
GOG
uPlay
Origin
Microsoft Store

Yet I refuse EGS.
They are completely tone deaf

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
With Tencent's backing and how "establishing footholds" works, I don't see it being the winning play. Steam should start snapping up tons of exclusives themselves. Will it suck? Sure. Is Epic to blame? Absolutely. They ruined the landscape.
There will be a point where Epic realizes that they can burn as much money as they want and still be only a distant second behind Steam. What they are doing is not sustainable.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Over-emphasises how much people care about libraries. There's more to it than just this - things like cloud saves and Steam workshop are small things to those who don't use them, but without them you suddenly realise how damn useful they are. Also, as Arkanius points out, a lot of us have games split across multiple services.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

It makes even less sense since games like Outerworlds and Phoenix Point are going to launch on PC Game Pass at launch. Like all they're doing for these titles in particular (And the Ubisoft titles like Divison 2 selling 10X as much on Uplay) is driving competition to the other non-Steam storefronts, which arguably is great for everyone that's not Epic?
(Phoenix Point was announced today for Game Pass)

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
At the moment the best way to get your money back is select PS4 Digital download and than sell the code for like 40-50€ (because now the official price of the console version is 70€).

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you to the several posters who came to my defense, and the mods who listened and unbanned me. I probably shouldn't have made such a strained joke in a tense thread, I'll be more mindful of what I post going forward.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't they just offer backers on PC the chance to directly-download a clean ISO or installation package? Why does the game have to be associated with ANY game client or purchasing platform?

I know it would not be an ideal solution and people would still miss out on Steam's featureset, but it seems like most of the anti-EGS people are okay with pretty much anything besides the Epic Store. I'm not that familiar with the situation but it seems like Epic is generally cool with their exclusive games being released on non-Steam services.

Anko

Oct 26, 2017
YuriLand
Epic is throwing so much money at developers that devs could care less about the "protests" and "tantrums" you guys throw. As long as Steam is not giving a damn about Epic Game Store no protest and sh*tstorm in the world will change anything. Might wanna wake Gaben up from his eternal slumber of not giving a sh*t, then things might change....
Why even sell games to consumers anymore? Just live off epic's moneyhat amirite?

I don't want steam to start moneyhatting and starting some dumb platform war on pc. That's not helping the situation and only making it worse.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Got a response from my Kickstarter message, skimmed the last few pages and didn't see it:
vsRGAQ5.png

The reason why this is bad is they have a lot of EU backers and by law we're all by law required the option of getting a refund, so either they're going to have to change their tune or they're going to have big legal fees to deal with.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Why even sell games to consumers anymore? Just live off epic's moneyhat amirite?

I don't want steam to start moneyhatting and starting some dumb platform war on pc. That's not helping the situation and only making it worse.

I don't think Valve are that dumb. They see the bad PR Epic is getting. Also kudos to Microsoft for being the very opposite of Epic

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: I read Threadmarked too late, fellow posters cleared up doubts for me, Thanks!

Last edited:

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We should make a coordinated response with EU law and post the same template so they start to feel the heat

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I don't think Valve are that dumb. They see the bad PR Epic is getting. Also kudos to Microsoft for being the very opposite of Epic
Quite.
Microsoft now allowing their big name games on Steam and others stores for ALL to enjoy has put them in a completely different light for me.

Yi30IzL.png

Kudos and much respect to them.
What a ride, eh...?
Microsoft pissing in the bath with their Windows Store shenanigans have now turned out to be an asset to PC gaming rather than a hindrance.
Epic on the other hand....

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
Help me understand cause i'm mostly a Console gamer. Why is so hard for people to realize that steam isn't the only platform for games? Is having a second library such a hard thing? Or do people simply have something against Epic?

Because i'm seeing comments of "betrayal" and so much hate against the Epic Store that i just don't understand, and that just seems too personal.
Do you think you're the first person to ask this? Try reading the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.