• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, I didn't know if you had physical backer rewards or not, but regardless the money from the Kickstarter has surely been spent, but I still wish you luck in trying to get a refund.
No doubt it was spent, but just like with the somewhat similar case which happened with Phoenix Point, the very least they can do is using Epic big fat check to refund the backers they fucked over.
Making us people who loaned them money at a 0% interest rate.
We loose either way.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I've seen lots of comments like this and it infuriates me. Not that I'm mad at you or anyone else feeling so burned by KS that they won't back anything else again, because I can understand that, but rather for Shenmue III poisoning the well like this. I say this because I have been planning a KS campaign for a long time, and reading this stuff makes me realize that Deep Silver's greed here is literally affecting completely unrelated projects. And, potentially, my own bottom line. Fucking greed.
Software or hardware? I feel that hardware projects are more trusted in general now days.

The messed up thing is that Kickstarter got me some excellent games from Shadowrun to PoE to CrossCode to Divinity OS1&2 to Cosmic Star Heroine to Muv-Luv to many more. Yet it took Epic to shut the whole thing up with actually SUCCESSFUL launches.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever crowdfunding money they got went straight into development so I very much doubt refunds are feasible. Hopefully with so many refund requests some alarm bells will surely be ringing somewhere with decision making power and Steam keys are guaranteed for backers.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm gonna guess a part of the deal they signed is that they can't give out Steam keys for backers too

That's the kinda shit that burns slow and they did it for Phoenix Point too IIRC

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is a load of bull I can't believe it. Thank goodness I've never done any of the kickstarter anything. Really disappointed.

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I've seen lots of comments like this and it infuriates me. Not that I'm mad at you or anyone else feeling so burned by KS that they won't back anything else again, because I can understand that, but rather for Shenmue III poisoning the well like this. I say this because I have been planning a KS campaign for a long time, and reading this stuff makes me realize that Deep Silver's greed here is literally affecting completely unrelated projects. And, potentially, my own bottom line. Fucking greed.
I'm sorry about that, it's a really shitty situation all around. I've spent a silly amount on crowd funding stuff I never thought I'd get to play, but after Phoenix Point, Outer Wilds and now, Shenmue 3 all deciding to alter the deal at the last minute, I've fucking had it.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry about that, it's a really shitty situation all around. I've spent a silly amount on crowd funding stuff I never thought I'd get to play, but after Phoenix Point, Outer Wilds and now, Shenmue 3 all deciding to alter the deal at the last minute, I've fucking had it.

It's not your fault and I don't blame anyone who feels so burned that they walk away from KS forever. I blame Epic Games and greedy publishers. This all makes Epic playing the "savior of PC gaming" all the more obnoxious, IMO.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Firstly, understand that when people talk about steam, and the epic game store, they're actually talking about two different things at the exact same time. It's confusing to people who don't intimately understand technology, but these things, launchers are some call them, are a combination of store front, and technology suite. I'm sure you've heard of things like OpenGL or DirectX, those are technologies that help make games, specifically those technologies are middlewares that drive graphics cards. They make up a standard language so a game developer can target a "virtual" openGL or directX card, and the people behind OpenGL and DirectX (Khronos and Microsoft) then take care of making their "virtual" card work with physical cards. So from the perspective of a developer, you write for one "virtual" card, and the makers of that "virtual" card spend lots of money making it work with lots of real, physical cards. This is called interfacing.

Steam, the client, has a store bundled with it, but it is also a suite of tools. Steam, the client, can be thought of like DirectX, it does lots and lots of things beyond merely selling you the game. For example, there is this thing called Steam Proton which is an automatic translation layer for linux. With steam proton, you can run any windows game in linux, something thought absolutely impossible years ago. Steam is brimming with technologies like this, like Steam Input, which is how things like Dual Shock Controllers work.

You don't have to buy from Steam, the store, to use Steam, the client's tools. When you buy a game from, like, amazon, the sale goes entirely through amazon, and valve doesn't take 30% because they didn't actually facilitate the sale. But when you buy that game from amazon, or target.com, or where ever, they give you a special "installer" that you can pop into the steam client, and it'll use all the steam client features.

The Epic Games Store is, like the steam client, both a store and a suite of tools. But as a suite of tools, it's anemic. Not a fraction of what steam, the client, does. But worse than that, Epic is relying on people's confusion and inability to understand the difference between a store front and a suite of tools to muddy the picture. Were, for example, Epic Game Store just selling Steam Client installers, like Uplay does, nobody would have a fucking problem at all. But they don't. Instead, when something is "epic store exclusive," that means epic paid to both keep the game off of Valve's technology suite, AND keep it off of every other store besides their own. When something uses steam's technology, they are NOT exclusive to steam, the store. But people who don't know the difference think everything using steam's technology is the same as being exclusive to steam, the store.

By making things exclusive to epic games store, not only are they limiting the number of places where a buyer can purchase from (which has the demonstrable effect of raising game prices), it also cuts features from certain games by keeping them from using steam technologies.

kWdcbdE.png

SynNfar.jpg

In short, when things go "Epic games store" exclusive, they are limiting the places one can buy from, limiting the feature set of said, usually raising the price of said game, for absolutely no benefit to the consumer at all.

And, as an indie developer, Epic itself creates this division between games it allows onto the store, and games it does not. For games that are not allowed onto the store, it creates an unfair stigma, like those games are somehow lesser games, that actually hurts bottom lines. I don't want to use a specific example by name, because the specific dev got harassed when they made this known, but there was a well known, well reviewed game on steam that got denied a spot on epic game store, and after it got denied, the narrative on twitter turned into "something must clearly be wrong with the game if it got denied a spot on the store" and their sales actually slumped. One of the best features of steam, the store, from the perspective of small developers, is that it puts everyone on equal footing. A dude in bedroom can make a game and it's sold right alongside games made by 1000 person studios with million dollar budgets as though they were equals. EGS creates a division of haves vs have nots that hurt small developers.

EGS is bad for PC gaming all around.

This is a bloody great response to this constant question

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The back of my head feels this may have been a necessary evil to get Shenmue III to the finish line, given its now multiple delays, and I suspect budget busting requirements.

The book someone writes about this game's development someday is going to be fascinating.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Man, this is really annoying. I hate finding out critical information when it's too late to change my Kickstarter backer preferences. This happened with Bloodstained where I found out the Switch version would run at a lower framerate, now the advertised Steam version no longer exists...

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I managed to change my copy to a PS4 version. Took a while, but it turns out that you need an address set in order to change it. This and Bloodstain are the only kickstarters that I have active, but I will refuse to kickstart any more games now.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Feel bad for those interested, but I was skipping this one anyway. That newest trailer looked really bad :S

Animations looked off.

Kickstarter must be thrilled. This shit show will cause a lot of collateral damage and distrust. Way to poison the well for other projects.

100% right.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Firstly, understand that when people talk about steam, and the epic game store, they're actually talking about two different things at the exact same time. It's confusing to people who don't intimately understand technology, but these things, launchers are some call them, are a combination of store front, and technology suite. I'm sure you've heard of things like OpenGL or DirectX, those are technologies that help make games, specifically those technologies are middlewares that drive graphics cards. They make up a standard language so a game developer can target a "virtual" openGL or directX card, and the people behind OpenGL and DirectX (Khronos and Microsoft) then take care of making their "virtual" card work with physical cards. So from the perspective of a developer, you write for one "virtual" card, and the makers of that "virtual" card spend lots of money making it work with lots of real, physical cards. This is called interfacing.

Steam, the client, has a store bundled with it, but it is also a suite of tools. Steam, the client, can be thought of like DirectX, it does lots and lots of things beyond merely selling you the game. For example, there is this thing called Steam Proton which is an automatic translation layer for linux. With steam proton, you can run any windows game in linux, something thought absolutely impossible years ago. Steam is brimming with technologies like this, like Steam Input, which is how things like Dual Shock Controllers work.

You don't have to buy from Steam, the store, to use Steam, the client's tools. When you buy a game from, like, amazon, the sale goes entirely through amazon, and valve doesn't take 30% because they didn't actually facilitate the sale. But when you buy that game from amazon, or target.com, or where ever, they give you a special "installer" that you can pop into the steam client, and it'll use all the steam client features.

The Epic Games Store is, like the steam client, both a store and a suite of tools. But as a suite of tools, it's anemic. Not a fraction of what steam, the client, does. But worse than that, Epic is relying on people's confusion and inability to understand the difference between a store front and a suite of tools to muddy the picture. Were, for example, Epic Game Store just selling Steam Client installers, like Uplay does, nobody would have a fucking problem at all. But they don't. Instead, when something is "epic store exclusive," that means epic paid to both keep the game off of Valve's technology suite, AND keep it off of every other store besides their own. When something uses steam's technology, they are NOT exclusive to steam, the store. But people who don't know the difference think everything using steam's technology is the same as being exclusive to steam, the store.

By making things exclusive to epic games store, not only are they limiting the number of places where a buyer can purchase from (which has the demonstrable effect of raising game prices), it also cuts features from certain games by keeping them from using steam technologies.

kWdcbdE.png

In short, when things go "Epic games store" exclusive, they are limiting the places one can buy from, limiting the feature set of said, usually raising the price of said game, for absolutely no benefit to the consumer at all.

And, as an indie developer, Epic itself creates this division between games it allows onto the store, and games it does not. For games that are not allowed onto the store, it creates an unfair stigma, like those games are somehow lesser games, that actually hurts bottom lines. I don't want to use a specific example by name, because the specific dev got harassed when they made this known, but there was a well known, well reviewed game on steam that got denied a spot on epic game store, and after it got denied, the narrative on twitter turned into "something must clearly be wrong with the game if it got denied a spot on the store" and their sales actually slumped. One of the best features of steam, the store, from the perspective of small developers, is that it puts everyone on equal footing. A dude in bedroom can make a game and it's sold right alongside games made by 1000 person studios with million dollar budgets as though they were equals. EGS creates a division of haves vs have nots that hurt small developers.

Someone got banned earlier for the second pic, might want to remove it.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Whatever crowdfunding money they got went straight into development so I very much doubt refunds are feasible. Hopefully with so many refund requests some alarm bells will surely be ringing somewhere with decision making power and Steam keys are guaranteed for backers.

Well depends on how much money they got from Epic, and if they accept responsibility.

Same thing happened with Phoenix Point, they had promised Steam and GoG keys when it was being crowdfunded on Fig, but then went EGS exclusive. They were able to refund anyone that asked because they still made more money from the Epic exclusivity deal than what they lost in refunds.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
What are YsNet going to be able to do anyway? lol
This decision reeks of Deep Silver all over.

If they approved of this decision, it's on them. If they signed a contract that gave Deep Silver complete control over platform decisions, it's still on them.

I agree that this decision has Deep Silver's fingerprints all over it, but YsNet are not off the hook here and should be offering refunds.

Oct 25, 2017
So, where do you contact to get a refund for this bullshit? So fucking pissed off.

I backed in the first hour and they're dicking me over like this.

Stonebeard

The Fallen
Feb 19, 2019
Shenmue is a series that is dear to my heart. I have been waiting for this moment for years and every little piece of information about there possibly being a shenmue 3 gave me temporary hope, only for that hope to be crushed time after time. The excitement I felt two years ago when it was finally anounced was unreal. However seeing this whole situation play out just makes makes me sad for the future of the franchise.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
So, the only response we´ve had thus far is 2 parties saying telling us to reach out to the other one.
Basically, "how about you go fuck yourself. how dare you ask us anything"

zon

Oct 28, 2017
that's merely the very first result when you google "epic game store feature set."

Here's another:

GkxM758.png

The point being that there are tons of features missing from the EGS.

I know EGS is bad. I wanted you to have the chance to remove the pic before you got banned for it. It's apparently a 'conspiritorial meme'

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So, where do you contact to get a refund for this bullshit? So fucking pissed off.

I backed in the first hour and they're dicking me over like this.

Don't Kickstart anything anymore, can't trust anyone these days. There must be a way for you to contact them through their Kickstarter page for a refund, let me check.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
no thanks, i'd rather get a refund unless someone held a gun to yu suzuki's head to agree to this.
Putting pressure on to fulfill the Steam keys for backers is more realistic than a refund tbh, because bending the terms of the contract with Epic to allow it might be easier than the alternative. Besides the issue of the cash for a refund, what do you do for digital rewards like "be a capsule toy" or whatever that have already been designed and built into the game?

Tensions are obviously running high right now, but trying to make them honour the original terms of the surveys might result in the best outcome for backers.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not your fault and I don't blame anyone who feels so burned that they walk away from KS forever. I blame Epic Games and greedy publishers. This all makes Epic playing the "savior of PC gaming" all the more obnoxious, IMO.
Oh yeah, that's by far the reason why people are so angry.

everything Epic does is screaming " we are going to muscle our way into forcing you to give us 15 to 20% of your PC gaming money, and there's nothing you can do about it except stop gaming all together." But they won't shut up about how awesome they are. It's completely obvious, and the way they try to spin it is just insulting and shows how little respect they have for the prospective customers. Especially since they pretty much told PC Gamers "You're not worth it" a while back, talking about various problems that several storefronts and companies, particularly valve, have worked passionately to resolve. they are The Losers of yesteryear now performing a Shakedown acting like they are hot shit

Oct 28, 2017
California
I'm not a PC gamer nor do I have any interest in Shenmue, but if I would have backed the game then I would be furious as fuck right now. I fucking feel bad for the people who pledged a lot of money, Jesus I would feel grifted.

I mean I really don't care about EGS existing or if they get exclusives, but if people pledged money on the promise that they'd be getting the game on their platform of choice only for that not to be the case, then yeah that's super fucked up and shady.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Is there a chance people won't be able to get refunds? I don't know how KS works exactly in this case. Is the small print different for each project?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Putting pressure on to fulfill the Steam keys for backers is more realistic than a refund tbh, because bending the terms of the contract with Epic to allow it might be easier than the alternative. Besides the issue of the cash for a refund, what do you do for digital rewards like "be a capsule toy" or whatever that have already been designed and built into the game?

Tensions are obviously running high right now, but trying to make them honour the original terms of the surveys might result in the best outcome for backers.

it's probably easier for them to throw $30 at me than try and amend whatever contract they made with epic. phoenix point can't even give backers steam / gog keys until the one year exclusivity deal is up. i don't know what to do there. i didn't back anything with those rewards and it's not my problem it's theirs.

DigitalScars

Dec 15, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

kWdcbdE.png

SynNfar.jpg

I love this post, pretty much covers all bases in a crystal clear picture. Just a shame the EGS Defence league will read it and still be like "just another launcher". It dumbfounds me how people can outline all the issues and it just falls on deaf ears.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I'm not a PC gamer nor do I have any interest in Shenmue, but if I would have backed the game then I would be furious as fuck right now. I fucking feel bad for the people who pledged a lot of money, Jesus I would feel grifted.

I mean I really don't care about EGS existing or if they get exclusives, but if people pledged money on the promise that they'd be getting the game on their platform of choice only for that not to be the case, then yeah that's super fucked up and shady.

Steam was never mentioned during the initial campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

It was, however, mentioned during the fulfillment surveys a year or so later. Where that falls legally, I don't know. I'm not asking for a refund, I'm getting the game on PC as was initially promised.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who does not play games on pc, can someone elaborate on why it's bad that it changes store? Do you have to pay a fee to get in to epic store or what? Isn't it just like shopping groceries at different supermarkets?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
it's probably easier for them to throw $30 at me than try and amend whatever contract they made with epic. phoenix point can't even give backers steam / gog keys until the one year exclusivity deal is up. i don't know what to do there. i didn't back anything with those rewards and it's not my problem it's theirs.
If you were the only one asking for a refund it probably would just be that easy, but surely you see if they do that for one they have to do that for all - which opens up issues on other rewards tiers.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
I really find the scummy and every time i think of using the EGS a story like this comes along and i am put of it again. The standard excusive are annoying but paying devlopers/publishers to break kickstarter contracts just rubs me the wrong way.

Part of me wished I backed this game and the time and money to burn, as I am kind of curious to see if I could sue them for a Steam key though Specific Performance its a long shot and you would just get the part of the price of the game in damages but their is case for it and it would be hilarious if it worked.

Sadly I never backed the game and I don't have the time and money to spend on such a court case just to troll Epic.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I really hate Epic's attempt to buy out the PC gaming market piece by piece, and am extremely disappointed in all the publishers who continue to be unable to think beyond "ooh, 88% cut!".

That 88% cut vs 65% cut is still a huge deal, though. Enough to make a case for exclusivity. 35/12= 2.916. The publisher is paying almost three times less in fees per sales. That really does add up. Also as I suspected, UE4 on EGS has no royalty fees. Epic will cover that fee for you, if you make a game in UE4 and put it on their storefront. I think Valve does the same thing with Source/ Source 2?

UnrealEngine%2FNews%2FAnnouncing+the+Epic+Games+Store%2FEpicGamesStore_InfoGraphic-1920x1080-df66848d0d804e4366355775eae247a9abdeb1e7.jpg

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
If you were the only one asking for a refund it probably would just be that easy, but surely you see if they do that for one they have to do that for all - which opens up issues on other rewards tiers.

yeah, but again, refunds are probably easier than trying to get an out for their contract.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't Kickstart anything anymore, can't trust anyone these days. There must be a way for you to contact them through their Kickstarter page for a refund, let me check.

Yeah, I sent a message through Kickstarter.

And yeah, I'm not planning on ever backing anything again without an ironclad promise from the devs that they won't accept EGS money (and I'd have to really trust that was true, too).

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
The troll posts in this thread are embarrassing. We get it, not everyone cares about Shenmue. Some of us do and have been waiting 18 years for this game. I don't go into threads for games I'm not interested in to rain on the parade.

I'm happy to hear this just because it means Yu Suzuki and the devs got a nice payment from Epic.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
That 88% cut vs 65% cut is still a huge deal, though. Enough to make a case for exclusivity. 35/12= 2.916. The publisher is paying almost three times less in fees per sales. That really does add up. Also as I suspected, UE4 on EGS has no royalty fees. Epic will cover that fee for you, if you make a game in UE4 and put it on their storefront. I think Valve does the same thing with Source/ Source 2?

UnrealEngine%2FNews%2FAnnouncing+the+Epic+Games+Store%2FEpicGamesStore_InfoGraphic-1920x1080-df66848d0d804e4366355775eae247a9abdeb1e7.jpg
of epic cared about devs they would give their customers a reason, any reason, to pick the store that gives them the most money other than exclusivity

they can't

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
As someone who does not play games on pc, can someone elaborate on why it's bad that it changes store? Do you have to pay a fee to get in to epic store or what? Isn't it just like shopping groceries at different supermarkets?
Picture being able to buy your games from any retailer you want for your PlayStation. Best Buy might have a sale and you could buy there, or you could get it from Amazon and not have to go anywhere, and everyone agrees that this system is fair. Now picture if Sony decided to install a firmware update on your PlayStation that checked if discs were bought directly from the PlayStation retail store, they stripped out 90% of the features you used like party chat and SharePlay, and they decided to stop having sales on games.

It's not a perfect metaphor but it's the closest I can come up with to how the EGS is to PC Gaming. People are upset because there was an established system with a lot of value to the consumer, and Epic decided to disrupt that and try to take things away from PC gamers that had been longtime standards.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017

kWdcbdE.png

GkxM758.png

This is a good post.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The troll posts in this thread are embarrassing. We get it, not everyone cares about Shenmue. Some of us do and have been waiting 18 years for this game. I don't go into threads for games I'm not interested in to rain on the parade.

I'm happy to hear this just because it means Yu Suzuki and the devs got a nice payment from Epic.
Plenty of the "trolls" you are referring to are KS backers.

Status
Not open for further replies.