• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clever Gato

Oct 28, 2017
What a terrible situation. A friend of mine is on a rampage over the news. Not a fan of Epic's way of doing things in the least.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Oh interesting. I actually forgot that Deep Silver is publishing this game. Now, I have to ask, how much is Deep Silver taking per unit sold? For some reason, I was under a strange assumption that Shenmue III was self published. Which in my mind, made this a good deal for Yu Suzuki. But it may very well still be a good deal for them? I'm not sure now.

Fortnite and the Epic Game Client is getting pretty big in size. I can't see Steam users feeling left out (unless they use Linux, like me) , I bet a fairly big percentage of users on Steam already have the Epic Game Client installed on their PC's. Fortnite really is that big of a runaway success. I'm sure it wouldn;t take much to get people to download the Epic Game Client just for this game. They may be losing out on a bigger market, but more money made on each copy sold of Shenmue III is probably a better deal for them.
Fortnite audience only plays fornite, almost all egs exclusive bombed one way or the other

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People care about launchers more than a sequel to a videogame no one had the slightest hope it'll finally come out 18 years later. Fucked up priorities.

I dont quite get this problem. So long as the person has the game what does it matter how you got it? Like if it was a physical copy, why does it matter if I bought it at Best Buy or Target? What matters I have the game and get to play.

Epic is trying to turn PC gaming into a walled garden by locking certain 3rd parties to their stores. They're not trying to pull themselves up by offering a superior storefront, they're dragging everyone else down.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
For me it was June 29 of last year. Search your email for Shenmue, that's how I found mine.

Thanks mate, I managed to find it by search my email for fan gamer. All sorted know. Appreciate it.

Well, I pulled up my backer link and made the switch to PS4 - easy peasy. I was happy to help bring Shenmue III into existence and still don't regret backing the project, but I won't support EGS in any way, shape or form.

This is me now.

3rdman

May 25, 2018
"Help us create a sequel to this classic that you guys have waiting on for years!"

After all is said and done...

"Oh hey by the way fuck yall these cats gave us money, get it from their shady ass store or fuck off. Thanks for the help, suckers!"

Sketch as fuck the whole way around imo.
If its indeed exclusive to epic, I'll be getting my money back. For the record I have no problem with exclusivity deals but I won't abide bait and switch practices for anyone or anything...I'll pick it when on sale. Bye Ryu.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Xw3ooXO.gif

should probably have let fangamer know to update the surveys

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I preordered the ps4 version. I also want to cancel. If they're just gonna be pocketing money deals from partners like Epic, they never needed us to fund this game.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So not even backers are receiving Steam or GOG keys?

W O W
O
W

Epic and Deep Silver do not give a shit at all do they

Epic PR keeps spinning these deals as good for the devs and growth of PC gaming, but it's clear to anyone with a brain that only a handful of executives are ever going to benefit from exclusivity deals

Just play it on gamepass in january guys

The correct take

It already had that safety net and promised a steam version. This is just moneyhatting from Epic. I still don't understand how people are fine with this but then again we have flat earthers, anti-vaxxers groups growing so I guess apologists just don't give a damn anymore.

Backing Epic is not remotely comparable to being an anti-vaxxer or flat-earther lmao, though I do understand what you're going for.

Let's try to steer away from that in these discussions though. Lot of folks with these takes don't even play on PC, so to them they literally can't understand the problem since "you play the game on the same machine anyway, what's the problem". There's no fighting that mentality and Tim and Co know this. Save your energy and just don't buy from Epic

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
We backed this in 2013. We backed it with the understanding there would be a physical PS4 and a physical Steam version and paid extra for that reward.

Im not blaming folks for backing it then.
Im saying from here on out folks probably shouldnt unless stricter rules are applied for missing/changing milestones.
I think it sucks that folks who want certain versions of games and pay in just for that version dont get it. It's unjust.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
If its indeed exclusive to epic, I'll be getting my money back. For the record I have no problem with exclusivity deals but I won't abide bait and switch practices for anyone or anything...I'll pick it when on sale. Bye Ryu.

Agreed. I hate the whole idea of money hatting exclusives. If Epic created a bunch of studios, came out with some killer games THEN started their platform with only their games being exclusive I'd use them just like I do origins or Uplay. This is disgusting though. They hustled backers then turned around and fucked them for a bit of cash. Nah man, might give this shit a rental at most and thats saying something for me

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate the EGS store but their comment that they decided on it while 'looking for the most enjoyable way to play on PC' seems disingenuous as hell. Both store fronts wouldn't be 'enjoyable' - they're storefronts. Why not just say they've decided to switch to EGS and not pretend it's for nothing other than business reasons?

They should arguably offer refunds or switches of backing to PS4 for users that don't want to support EGS

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So....did you not read the staff post, or?.....
No idea how to find it. Clicked on the 'threadmark' dropdown, got nothing? I went through the KS campaign before to make sure what I posted was accurate. No mention of Steam till after the campaign, possibly years after(?), so referring to people as "Steam backers" is just flat-out inaccurate.

Ok...found the staff post. Definitely not arguing it was "never" promised to backers. I'm saying it wasn't during the campaign, when people put down their money.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
User banned (3 days): ignoring staff post

Backers weren't promised a steam key, just a digital copy. Which they are still getting.

Imagine waiting a decade for game only to throw a fit and not play it because it's not on your distribution platform of choice. They could put it on the fucking GOG launcher for all I care.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Backers weren't promised a steam key, just a digital copy. Which they are still getting.

Imagine waiting a decade for game only to throw a fit and not play it because it's not on your distribution platform of choice. They could put it on the fucking GOG launcher for all I care.

Backers ordered a Steam key. For fuck sake. Please read the thread at least:
unknown.png

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I maintain that the most obvious sign of technical debt in the EGS codebase is the inability to let developers opt in or out or set specific prices in the current sale going on. I can take or leave the shopping carts because I rarely buy more than one game at a time, but having a flat discount for everything is straight-up hurting their ability to get games onto the service right now.

Wouldn't gamepass require it to be published either through the MS store or on XBox? This seems unlikely to me because I thought they confirmed this was going to be only on PS4

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like someone didn't read the staff post.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

You should read the staff post before you get....

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
No idea how to find it. Clicked on the 'threadmark' dropdown, got nothing? I went through the KS campaign before to make sure what I posted was accurate. No mention of Steam till after the campaign, possibly years after(?), so referring to people as "Steam backers" is just flat-out inaccurate.

which method of distribution do you think people should have assumed going into backing it? why was steam eventually selected as the choice for distributing the pc copies?

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder how much longer can Epic keep this up. This can't be a sustainable business model.

It isn't. Even with the millions they've dumped, few developers have shared sales figures aside from Coffee Stain and World War Z devs, every time they try to discuss sales figures they use bizzarre metrics like twitch views. The recent fire sale where they outright compensate developers for sales difference cut speaks volumes. (and they even botched that one up)

Let Timmy continue with his glorified ego trip.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
Perhaps the most unsurprising EGS exclusive ever. Everyone should have seen this coming months ago.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Unreal engine game 5% fee versus 30%

wait, is the 5% fee stacked on top of the 12% fee? Or is that a 5% fee for everything?

Valve will still take a 30% cut and Epic will take an additional 5% cut for UE4, if the game makes more than $3000 per quarter. To me, they would still be making more money with the EGS model. But with Deep Silver involved... that might change my original statement. But I guess they could still be making more money per game sold, with Deep Silver's cut.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Screw EGS, screw Deepsilver, fine, but there are people here saying they'll never touch KS again, and I just think that's tremendously unfair to other devs out there that will look to the platform for their own funding. It's completely the wrong party to go after in this whole thing.
"Fool me once, shame on you, etc."

First crowdfunding campaign I bothered with. Why should I line-up for a Round 2 after getting burned on a $300 bet?

Nov 1, 2017
God PC gaming is a mess right now. I don't buy into the whole Kickstarter thing anyway since there have been so many failed projects and high profile disappointments but now you can't even guarantee that a project you back or a game you pre-order is going to be available on the storefront of your choosing. Of course the hypocrisy on display by Sweeney is good for a laugh though, so at least we have that.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm repeating myself and will continue to do so: it needs to be impressed upon yu Suzuki and the dev team that they need to get steam keys to backers who asked for them. No excuses.

That the game isn't available on steam for purchase should be octagonal to honoring the commitment to backers. They may not realize the extent of the betrayal here. (Note: Twitter spam is probably not the method to communicate this)
The game is already made. This is just bullshit
100% chance you're wrong btw

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
"Help us create a sequel to this classic that you guys have waiting on for years!"

After all is said and done...

"Oh hey by the way fuck yall these cats gave us money, get it from their shady ass store or fuck off. Thanks for the help, suckers!"

Sketch as fuck the whole way around imo.
"Help us create a sequel to this classic because Sony didnt want to fully fund it themselves, but they still want to be console exclusive. Suckers! This whole kickstarter was just a long term advert anyway."

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is this strategy of getting everyone mad in exchange for exclusives working out for Epic? I bet it hasnt but I dont really know.

Status
Not open for further replies.