• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
How can you discuss facts other than to say, yes, it's true, backers were offered a Steam physical copy or Steam digital copy?

Right? There's only so far these people can take contrarianism before it just gets silly. Deep Silver stuck the dagger in the back of the fans (those who backed the game) who opted for a Steam key. And they did it so close to release too. Imagine if it kept the original August release date! The Kickstarter update was also worded in an annoying way for backers too, I feel.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I look at this as a positive and not a negative. Shenmue III is being made on a shoestring budget as it is. If You Suzuki wants to maximize profit on each game sold, then this is a smart move. Valve takes a 30% cut, Epic Games would also take a small percentage cut as well for using Unreal Engine 4. Epic Game Store only takes a 12% cut, plus there is an extra incentive with UE4 where they do not have to pay any royalties by selling the game on EGS.

Shenmue III isn't going to be the ending of the series. It is just chapter 3 on what will be more than likely a 4 chapter game series. If Yu Suzuki wants to get the ball rolling on Shenmue IV while funding his studio, it's not so bad that he wants to make as much money on each copy sold, as possible.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
"it's just another store" -> "it's just another launcher" -> "it's just another icon"

What's the next step on the list of trying to make the EGS seem as trivial as possible
- It's just another set of forums... oh wait.
- It's just another big picture mode... oh wait.
- It's just another list of achievements... oh wait.
- It's just another place to have cloud saves... oh wait.
- It's just another place with a mod distribution system... oh wait.
- Etc.

Those who are coming here and posting those "it's just another store/launcher/icon" always mention only those three, but forget to mention everything else Steam does/has that EGS doesn't. It's really annoying tbh.

I have to see, but I'll probably try to get a refund. I didn't back it up while the kickstarter was up (since they didn't accept paypal back then). I backed it from shenmue 3's page when they allowed it a little bit later. So I suppose I'll have to go there.

This is such a shitty move, and It's sad to see Yu attached to all of this bullshit. Since I guess this was Deep Silver's decision and not his.

What a clusterfuck this all is.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not the same thing. Epic Store and Steam can be downloaded for free. You can still play the game on the hardware you own (PC). PS4 and Xbox require a console purchase.

giphy.gif

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To me instead is exactly the game. Like when you opt for a GOG key instead of a Steam one.

It may be a dick move on Deep Silver's part but it's clearly not the same thing. Jumping console platforms would require $200+ on the consumer if they don't already own the hardware.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely scummy, but I just mean people need to temper their expectations when it come to KS, it's not a pre-order, you might not be able to refund it, there's no guarantee the game will come out at all, the concept/direction may change during development, promised features may be missing because they miscalculated the budget, etc.

It's tossing cash down a wishing well. KS and the Dev/Pub shouldn't be lumped in together, and KS isn't EB Games either.

As much as I think that "hey, KS should regulate this stuff," KS exists to help people that probably *can't* get venture capital, so projects will inherently be more volatile, but that's what makes the potential for truly independent projects to thrive. If KS got more strict, then those people would be locked out of KS and would end up on some newer, less-restrictive platform anyway.

The point is, KS is a real Wild West and you need to do your research and roll the dice, and hope that whatever project you back doesn't go sideways. It's more about "hey, I like this Yu Suzuki guy, I want to give him money to realise his dream," than, "hey, I like this Shenmue game, I want to give it money to realise my dream."
I mean come on. This has nothing to do with people not knowing what a Kickstarter is, I've backed tonnes of games on Kickstarter. Some of them have failed, and you know what I'm fine with that. It happens, the difference here is the project didn't fail, they promised backers steam keys and now they've decided go go back on the people who helped fund them and not give what was promised. This was a deal they agreed to, and they knowingly screwed over their backers.

Furthermore you're still ignoring the fact people did specifically put money down for Steam copies. When I got sent my survey, we got the option to add to our pledge. They were offering a Steam copy. I paid an extra $29 to add that copy on.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Sounds like a Kickstarter game for sure.
Folks should seriously stop backing things on there. There's too little accountability.

Also, this game has seemed like a mess since its inception. They kept showing so little any time there was an update, which is usually a sign that there's nothing worth showing, or that it'd be embarrasing to show. Now I understand. The mouths move but the faces are so stiff it's really jarring.
And it looks like they were showing us the best parts so far. Even the combat animations are weird because of how fast they move, while still looking stiff.

If I was a Steam backer I'd be pissed, though if I were any backer I'd have buyers remorse already, if I'm being honest.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that how every other Kickstarter Epic exclusive has handled it? Steam for the backers, Epic for everyone else.

What other games have done that? The devs behind Phoenix Point have promised Steam keys to the backers, but they will not be able to deliver them until after the exlusivity period, and have admitted to not knowing that even that was allowed until after they signed the deal.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling and ignoring staff post
It's crazy how much some of you hate the epic launcher. I think it might speak to a larger problem within the "gaming community" as a whole but I can't quite put my finger on it.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone defending this crap apparently forgot, just like MS did with the xbone and it cost them dearly, that customer good-will is a tangible thing with monetary value on it.

Basically we are just seeing all the devs that either arent aware of the mistakes or letting their 'dont give a fuck' flags fly right now. We already know Epic is just anti-consumer aggresive garbage these days.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
That's some fucking shady shit, I was gonna play Shenmue I + II ahead of Shenmue III but now I sure won't buy the game when it'll release.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I look at this as a positive and not a negative. Shenmue III is being made on a shoestring budget as it is. If You Suzuki wants to maximize profit on each game sold, then this is a smart move. Valve takes a 30% cut, Epic Games would also take a small percentage cut as well for using Unreal Engine 4. Epic Game Store only takes a 12% cut, plus there is an extra incentive with UE4 where they do not have to pay any royalties by selling the game on EGS.

Shenmue III isn't going to be the ending of the series. It is just chapter 3 on what will be more than likely a 4 chapter game series. If Yu Suzuki wants to get the ball rolling on Shenmue IV while funding his studio, it's not so bad that he wants to make as much money on each copy sold, as possible.

You do realise that EGS isn't out in every country right? Steam has the bigger userbase and is available in more countries. This is just a short term injection of money, the long game is on a platform like Steam. EGS is an inferior platform for the game to get traction on. Steam was the far better platform for Shenmue 3.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I hate when publishers act like they're doing the customer a favor by picking the EGS over other storefronts. They're doing it for their bottom line (which is okay, just don't lie about the reasoning).

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Yeah I'm fucking pissed about this. I backed the $100 for a steam copy and the other items in my tier this is just bullshit.

I've already messaged them on Kickstarter and left a somewhat pissed off comment on their comment section.

This just fucking baffles me

Jul 10, 2018
Granted, it was 18 years ago, but I am honestly surprised I'm the first person to bring this up.

This was a big deal for Shenmue II when it came out. It was right as Sega was starting to tank on the Dreamcast.

Shenmue II came out in Japan AND Europe for the Dreamcast, but Microsoft paid Sega to make sure that Shenmue II only came out in the USA on the original Xbox.
This was a big deal. At the time people started finding ways to hack the game saves from Shenmue I on the VMU, by changing the region flag, so that you could import a European copy of Shenmue II to continue your save file.

You can search and find plenty of forums posts from nearly two decades ago of basically this kind of discussion.
"But Sega needed money! You wouldn't get it otherwise!"
"The Xbox is more powerful!"

It didn't matter that it meant everyone would need to buy new consoles to play this game they were anticipating. And it never materialized. Keep in mind, the European release meant the English dub and translation was working. There was nothing to lose by manufacturing it in the states, expect lost Xbox sales.

"As Sega continues its platform agnostic strategy here, our direction is to work with the right partners that allows us to bring our content to consumers as quickly as possible with the right support behind it. And there are some instances, such as our relationship with Sony in Europe and with Infogrames, that allows us to do that with the lowest cost possible.

Shenmue 2 is an example of working with Microsoft with them and their marketing budget to bring that title to the US market with a respect to marketing programs it deserves and a great partner. Unfortunately that would mean there will be a cancellation of the Dreamcast version and Shenmue 2 will ship in the Fall of 2002 for Xbox. Our concern at the moment, the forecast that we got back from retailers for Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast wasn't big enough to make this title popular for us; it wasn't covering our cost by miles! And Sega can't afford to continue to go down the path in coveting games that makes us unprofitable.

By working with Microsoft, we have a great partner that's going to put in a lot of expertise in development and a great marketing program to make this title successful by using the Xbox technology to improve the quality of the game. I hate the fact we're going to have to delay it by a year, but the game will be stellar, it will be brilliant, and I'm much more interested in focusing on building a business to continue making this type of content for the next generation of platforms going forward. And that is a passionate plea from the soul of Sega; that's not me as a spokesperson spinning you, that's what we believe in. And I'm saying this with passion to you because that's what we believe in and that's the truth behind this. There's no other hidden truths here, that's the real reason."

-Charles Bellfield, Vice President of Strategic Planning and Corporate Affairs for Sega of America, 10/11/2001

I remember it clearly, and I can't believe it happened to Shenmue again

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It may be a dick move on Deep Silver's part but it's clearly not the same thing. Jumping console platforms would require $200+ on the consumer if they don't already own the hardware.

Alright. If it's just a launcher. Tell me how do I do the following:
-Share my game with my gf
-Have my saves in cloud for when I move
-Have my controller support
-Have my achievements

I'm waiting.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I want to see Valve open the warchest up and go to war with Epic. Who can have the most exclusives? Only time and large amounts of $$$ will tell.
I'd hate Valve so much if they'd do this.

To the "it's just a launcher/store" crowd - It's not. Steam is also a platform with great features, features we've grown to accept as part of the PC platform in many cases.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I swear every time we get one of these treads the exclusive bullshit is a little more egregious and the arguments that it's fine are just sliiightly further from they were last time as to what's "reasonable".

The normalisation is absolutely happening.

Also didn't they say they weren't going to be doing this anymore? Or did if ever dream that?

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean come on. This has nothing to do with people not knowing what a Kickstarter is, I've backed tonnes of games on Kickstarter. Some of them have failed, and you know what I'm fine with that. It happens, the difference here is the project didn't fail, they promised backers steam keys and now they've decided go go back on the people who helped fund them and not give what was promised. This was a deal they agreed to, and they knowingly screwed over their backers.

Furthermore you're still ignoring the fact people did specifically put money down for Steam copies. When I got sent my survey, we got the option to add to our pledge. They were offering a Steam copy. I paid an extra $29 to add that copy on.

Screw EGS, screw Deepsilver, fine, but there are people here saying they'll never touch KS again, and I just think that's tremendously unfair to other devs out there that will look to the platform for their own funding. It's completely the wrong party to go after in this whole thing.

edit: hit the post btn on my phone accidentally

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017

if Yu wanted to maximise the profit it would be on all the PC stores.

This is a case of deep silver wanting another lump sum, the 12% cut is almost negligible in comparison to the cash payout when you take into consideration the EGS smaller reach.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
That's not acceptable and a really shitty way to dance around the issue. I'm relatively confident that if Kickstarter was ever taken to court about this, they would lose. When something is offered in exchange for money - it doesn't matter that it's called a "reward" - there should be some form of consumer protection in place. I honestly can't believe people are defending corporations pulling the rug out from under people.

The best way would be to invest as an investor and not as a patron.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That's not acceptable and a really shitty way to dance around the issue. I'm relatively confident that if Kickstarter was ever taken to court about this, they would lose. When something is offered in exchange for money - it doesn't matter that it's called a "reward" - there should be some form of consumer protection in place. I honestly can't believe people are defending corporations pulling the rug out from under people.
The thing that is offered in exchange for money is the product's development, not the pledge rewards. Kickstarter is clear about that, both openly and in their terms of service. A lot of Kickstarters don't even offer the product as a reward, and they still get pledges, because the point is to get the product made.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
EGS store is barebones and in shambles compared to Steam, and Epic has been pushing back new features they promised to the store for months now.

The product people initially bought definitely got severely downgraded.

Deep Silver did this with Exodus, they knew how the fans would react.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Well let's make another example: you pre-order Cyberpunk via Humble for a GOG key and you receive an Epic key. But you paid for a GOG key. As I wrote, AFTER the kickstarter we filled an ORDER.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that is offered in exchange for money is the product's development, not the pledge rewards. Kickstarter is clear about that, both openly and in their terms of service. A lot of Kickstarters don't even offer the product as a reward, and they still get pledges, because the point is to get the product made.

Good luck to their legal team if they ever get taken to court over it, especially in Europe.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Games for windows live is just another launcher guys, you should just bite the bullet and use it.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly care about the whole EGS thing, but the sheer tone-deafness of Deep Silver continues to impress.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
You do realise that EGS isn't out in every country right? Steam has the bigger userbase and is available in more countries. This is just a short term injection of money, the long game is on a platform like Steam. EGS is an inferior platform for the game to get traction on. Steam was the far better platform for Shenmue 3.

None of that has anything to do with how much more money will be made per unit sold, though. Yeah, not going to deny that the Epic Game Store sucks in its current state, and Epic needs to invest more in their infrastructure. The short term injection of money is probably what they want. This sounds like it might even be a timed exclusive?

if Yu wanted to maximise the profit it would be on all the PC stores.

Because anytime somone is not buying the game on the EGS, Yu Suzuki's studio is making less money per game sold. They basically are just redirecting people over to the EGS.

This is a case of deep silver wanting another lump sum, the 12% cut is almost negligible in comparison to the cash payout when you take into consideration the EGS smaller reach.

Fortnite seems to be one of the fastest adopted games for PC/ Mac in recent memory. The Epic Client has a large user base now. Maybe it is worth it for them to go exclusive?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.