• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I really think they can't change the platform for backers who've already purchased a steam copy. Is there precedent for that in KS or crowdfunded project previously?

I'm sure there were a few titles that were pitched for Wii U which offered a change when that was no longer relevant.

Somewhat different circumstances from this, of course, but it's not without a broad precedent.

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't mind things going to the EGS other than the somewhat inconvenient nature of it. I just think it's sad that the game is going to have an extra level of negativity towards it because of this, now.

Well, even some of the fans are going to turn on them if they make such a stupid decision as this. They only have themselves to blame here and i was defending them a long time for various decisions. They need to make a statement to clarify what's happening for the fans who filled in the Steam surveys/chose Steam as their purchase option.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'm sure the amount of money Epic fronted will more than cover the people refunding on a series they apparently revered(?) prior to today but I'm sure it also feels good personally to back out of it. I thought people were genuinely excited for this game though.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I backed PS4 since I saw no reason to get a boxed PC copy with a code in it (if I buy physical, I want a physical copy of the game), but even more now i'm glad I made that decision.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the amount of money Epic fronted will more than cover the people refunding on a series they apparently revered(?) prior to today but I'm sure it also feels good personally to back out of it. I thought people were genuinely excited for this game though.
This creates a air of negativity that the game shouldn't have got because they choose to fuck backers.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I see this is another EPIC thread where many don't understand the bait and switch situation and literally the exact same case that happend with Metro Exodus and also told by EPIC's CEO that ''will never happen again''.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Money talks. More money talks loudly.

I'm over it, EGS wise, for the most part but its this shit that still pisses me off. EGS didn't make the devs do anything so they can't get all of the blame but man is this a shitty trend.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I guess it's safe to say that the crowdfunding phase of gaming is dead and buried.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone educate me (a PC games storefront layman) why the shift from Steam to EGS is significant? I admittedly know very little about the situation, but there isn't a cost or downside to acquiring a game from EGS instead of Steam, is there? Do games from EGS perform worse because of some kind of technical reason?

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
This is literally what my backer survey says. They definitely promised Steam copies lol.

People who are saying otherwise are talking rubbish.

They didn't promise Steam during the Kickstarter. It was worded as "Windows PC". The backer surveys were sent much later (more than a year, if I recall correctly).

I understand the frustration, but it's not a breach of contract at all. It's more along the lines of a hardware requirements change or something like that.

Oct 25, 2017
They fucked up the backers who're promised a Steam copy and people will still be willing to back Epic just because.
"iTs jUSt a StORe tHouGh?"
giphy.gif

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I feel like half the PC games coming out are exclusive to the Epic Game Store. People are likely eventually going to have to give in and support EGS in order to keep playing a huge chunk of modern PC games. Sucks but as time goes on more and more games becomes exclusives for EGS.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Well, even some of the fans are going to turn on them if they make such a stupid decision as this. They only have themselves to blame here and i was defending them a long time for various decisions. They need to make a statement to clarify what's happening for the fans who filled in the Steam surveys/chose Steam as their purchase option.
It's more money to release it on a platform that has better possibilities of revenue, and it's available to all gamers. It's a matter of whether they want to use that storefront or not though, and I do get the spite for EGS and how it's forming a console-like market but for pc in maybe a bad way.

At the same time, I like that EGS might be increasing the potential for a future of pc gaming where publishers bother to make big-money exclusive projects, akin to Half Life or Crysis.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
For all you losers that say steam was never mentioned or promised

FMClOwm.png

Literally what i gave them money for.

Give me my money back

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't promise Steam during the Kickstarter. It was worded as "Windows PC". The backer surveys were sent much later (more than a year, if I recall correctly).

I understand the frustration, but it's not a breach of contract at all. It's more along the lines of a hardware requirements change or something like that.
It absolutely is a breach and they need to honor all refunds. This is a shitty thing to do.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Not sure this is a good move by Epic. I don't care either way, but it seems like this is just going to get them a lot of bad rep and relatively little sales revenue.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if people on here will ever got bored of pretending they don't know why consumers don't like this or the EGS

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Since this is confirmed now all I have to say is, way to shit on your fan base. I like how they sugarcoat the announcement of exclusivity to EGS like it's a free upgrade of sorts. What a joke.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Can someone educate me (a PC games storefront layman) why the shift from Steam to EGS is significant? I admittedly know very little about the situation, but there isn't a cost or downside to acquiring a game from EGS instead of Steam, is there? Do games from EGS perform worse because of some kind of technical reason?

It doesnt even have Achievements or Cloud Saves, as well as a good refund system, no Community Guides inside an Overlay, no Linux support etc.

scarybore

Oct 27, 2017
As a backer from the start, I am pissed. Gonna have to consider my options now, cause I am not supporting Epic in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.