• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I can play it at Christmas, like it's supposed to be:

I - 1st December 2000
II - 23rd November 2001
III - 19th November 2019

wee-bey-oh-shit.gif

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Naw dawg I ain't gonna have time for this november. Might as well wait for it to get a nice discount next year.

OP
OP
smuf

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care how long it takes, just happy we're getting it at all after all these years.

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, I'm not sure Death Stranding is as appealing to the masses as it may be to us (I'm not sure what it is and I've seen everything about) but as I'm typing this I remembered that Shenmue III is a PlayStation Console exclusive so no Xbox sales to counter.

Maybe the E3 TRAILER is that good? But who would show it if Sony is skipping E3?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there was no way it was hitting in august. Should i watch an lp of one and 2 or play it myself. Ive been thinking about watching the giant bomb run, will i get the story that way?

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
It's an additional 2 months and I'm happy to wait.

I hope they release a demo during E3 at least though.

I would love to know how the gameplay is

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
No matter when it comes out, the odds of this living up to fan expectations are pretty low
I kind of get the impression, from posts like this, that there's people imagining that Shenmue fans are expecting an astounding game that will smash technical barriers, being as far ahead of the industry in 2019 as Shenmue was in 1999, and that literally anything would be a disappointment.

There aren't really many Shenmue fans who think that the series is going to become massively popular or that it will set new standards and revolutionise the industry. My own expectation, and that of almost every other Shenmue fan that I've seen write about their expectations for Shenmue III, is for something that carries on the Shenmue storyline and hits most of the same gameplay beats of the first two games. Like, I'm nearly happy just to be able to write the words "the first two games" rather than "the two games".

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there was no way it was hitting in august. Should i watch an lp of one and 2 or play it myself. Ive been thinking about watching the giant bomb run, will i get the story that way?
You'll get the story, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that as your first experience. There is still plenty of time to play through them with the HD collection.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
I really don't think a game like this should be releasing in such a busy fall...

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I kind of get the impression, from posts like this, that there's people imagining that Shenmue fans are expecting an astounding game that will smash technical barriers, being as far ahead of the industry in 2019 as Shenmue was in 1999, and that literally anything would be a disappointment.

There aren't really many Shenmue fans who think that the series is going to become massively popular or that it will set new standards and revolutionise the industry. My own expectations, and those of almost every other Shenmue fan that I've seen write about this game, is for something that carries on the Shenmue storyline and hits most of the same gameplay beats of the first two games. Like, I'm nearly happy just to be able to write the words "the first two games" rather than "the two games".
Pretty much.

It feels like most people doubting this will live up to fan expectations aren't actually aware of what most fan expectations are.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
They should have pushed it to late Jan/Feb 20. That slot has worked wonders for Capcon. Less crowded market, cheaper marketing costs and by then players are looking for something new to play. November is literally the worst month they could think of.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Not too suprised as there didn't seem to be an ounce of marketing, but I'm fine with it. I still haven't had time to replay 1 & 2 and this give me chance.

Origo

Jun 1, 2019
Releasing the game in november is shooting themself in the foot.

I hope it'll turn ok :<

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Release in 2019 with no gameplay shown yet? I seriously doubt that unless the game is super short or a mess.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Everyone is saying Early 2020, but I think early December 2019 would have been a better release date. Give it slightly more time, and presumably give it a month to itself. Either way I just hope this game and FF7 Remake isnt the same month, or I'll be very annoyed.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well delay it to Q1 2020, November feels like a terrible date for it.
Or to the PS5 launch. After a huge E3 showcase. Why rush a game like this? Lots of people are probably annoyed but I don't think anyone truly want them to rush it. They should take the time they need to finish it, polish it, properly market it, polish it some more, then release it at the best possible time.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Fuck no. There are far better playthroughs to watch than that one.

Either play it yourself or try BrutalMoose, Vinesauce Joel, or the Shenmue Dojo's many, many playthroughs.

I hope they release a demo during E3 at least though.

I would love to know how the gameplay is
Press are getting half an hour with the game at E3 through a hands-on demo. Backer trial is also still coming.

But if you want to read about gameplay, there were multiple previews based on a hands-off session with Yu Suzuki. (EDGE, VG 24/7, IGN, Gameblog, RPGsite)

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After 18 years what are 3 more months at this point

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
This is not coming out in November. I hope we all know better than that.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling to see how it would be any more or less doomed no matter the release date. This has been a project targeted very specifically toward the fanbase from the beginning and I doubt anyone who was planning to buy it in August won't buy it in November.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'd heard the old release date, and the new release date is still a bit sooner than I was anticipating.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think people have any expectations of this becoming best game on the world. Just more of same with betrer effects and story closure

Yeah, I don't get why people keep implying folks have their heads in the clouds with this one. I just want more shenmue, but a bit updated.

There aren't really many Shenmue fans who think that the series is going to become massively popular or that it will set new standards and revolutionise the industry. My own expectation, and that of almost every other Shenmue fan that I've seen write about their expectations for Shenmue III, is for something that carries on the Shenmue storyline and hits most of the same gameplay beats of the first two games. Like, I'm nearly happy just to be able to write the words "the first two games" rather than "the two games".

Sums it up well.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Dang was really hoping tomolay it sooner rather than later. Although I haven't finished my 1&2 playthrough, so this gives me some more time.