• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Just back home from Monaco, and it's great to see so many people full of positive emotion for this game.

The trailer... it doesn't even scratch the surface. It's just that. A trailer, and yes, one without much gameplay at all. But please, don't be worried about that, at all!!!

Anyone who wants to hate, they can and will, i'm sure, but this is the Shenmue 3 i have waited for, for over 15 years. To me, it's just at a stage now where i just laugh at the hate, and sometimes weird comments. I cannot wait for August. People will be blown away.

People can whine about animations. That's the only thing left to. The game is shaping up amazingly. From voice acting to characters and visuals. It's amazing.
(Btw do you know if we're going to get the full trailer soon ? As if I remember right, this is the short version)

@ShenmueGuru

Nov 7, 2017
People can whine about animations. That's the only thing left to. The game is shaping up amazingly. From voice acting to characters and visuals. It's amazing.
(Btw do you know if we're going to get the full trailer soon ? As if I remember right, this is the short version)

Absolutely Ghost.

To be honest, i am very sketchy on what went on behind closed doors. I have not seen the journalists trailer either, but i have heard conflicting reports. there is a 10 minute story going around that i did not hear. From what i heard, there is an extended trailer with 2 added minutes? The again, 2 could have been 10 in the persons accent so who knows. To me, it sounded like Gamescom again, which would make sense. Either way, there will be more promotion for this game, and as far as i know, August 27th is still very much locked in, and i have no reason to doubt it.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
The strange thing is that this is one of the few games where each time they've showed something it's clearly improved compared to earlier showings. Yet people still complain. The trailer is amazing and the game will surely be too. Can't wait to play it in August!

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The strange thing is that this is one of the few games where each time they've showed something it's clearly improved compared to earlier showings. Yet people still complain. The trailer is amazing and the game will surely be too. Can't wait to play it in August!

And if they didn't show anything this whole time then people would claim it's vaporware.

In doing a project through kickstarter, you really put yourself in an unwinnable situation when it comes to marketing.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.
It's nice to see some honest game development for once instead of deception.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Graphics are looking pleasant enough. Love how mysterious the masters were in Shenmue 2 like that blind one you have to fight in one of the intimidating tall building of Kowloon. I wonder how they will live up to them.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This looks honestly pretty great given the budget. That kind of budget was only enough to fund some very few titles even back in 2009. And I think the graphics look pretty good considering that. It's a fair few years outdated yes, but not 13 years or something like that

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been intentionally avoiding looking at media for this, but I did watch this video and was really pleasantly surprised. It really does look like advancements in tech are completely making up for the budgetary gap and them some.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
If this manages to make fans of the original games happy then it'll be a success, other crowdfunding projects that meant to trigger our nostalgia weren't even able to do that much. *cough* Mighty No 9 *cough*

Never played a Shenmue game but the trailer looks pretty good.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I think it looks very good for a low-budget game. You have to ask yourself, could Shenmue III look like this on Dreamcast, or even the OG XBOX, at 480p resolution?

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The characters and animation look horrible imo.

Deleted member 33409

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Ryo 3D model is ok but Pai isn't at all. And those robot animations for today standards are very bad to watch. Lacks of facial animations with a strong style like that is just more amplified. If they want to make a real come back of a game that set a standard at the time, they shouldn't launch it till ready. Watching that trailer is clear that they don't have enough people to work on such big project.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A character looking like Aoi was also previously shown off:

DQ6sPthWsAIJzBz.jpg

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ryo 3D model is ok but Pai isn't at all. And those robot animations for today standards are very bad to watch. Lacks of facial animations with a strong style like that is just more amplified. If they want to make a real come back of a game that set a standard at the time, they shouldn't launch it till ready. Watching that trailer is clear that they don't have enough people to work on such big project.

Just like how the first time the showed off the faces in the game, they weren't complete because they were obviously lacking rigging, the fighting game portion is similarly incomplete. They don't show any move transitions at all, all the cuts in the fighting game portion are timed to avoid showing the lack of move transitions except for one point in the middle, where you can see two moves just butt up against each other with no transitions. So calling the combat, "robot animations" isn't correct when it's obvious they're going to become more fluid as time goes on. I very, very much doubt the father of 3D fighting games would ship a fighting game portion without any move transitions. those have been a thing since VF1.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
As long as the gameplay, story, and music are great, that's all I'm looking for in a Shenmue game. I can overlook the subpar facial animation.

Deleted member 33409

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Just like how the first time the showed off the faces in the game, they weren't complete because they were obviously lacking rigging, the fighting game portion is similarly incomplete. They don't show any move transitions at all, all the cuts in the fighting game portion are timed to avoid showing the lack of move transitions except for one point in the middle, where you can see two moves just butt up against each other with no transitions. So calling the combat, "robot animations" isn't correct when it's obvious they're going to become more fluid as time goes on. I very, very much doubt the father of 3D fighting games would ship a fighting game portion without any move transitions. those have been a thing since VF1.

The release date is set for August 27 of this year. Can they add new body/facial animations and do all those changes before launch? This trailer what build shows? They still have like 4 months, I highly doubt they can delivery so many changes in such short time.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The release date is set for August 27 of this year. Can they add new body/facial animations and do all those changes before launch? This trailer what build shows? They still have like 4 months, I highly doubt they can delivery so many changes in such short time.

That's literally the benefit of Agile software development that Yu Suzuki pioneered. It allows constant iteration and modularity. What you "highly doubt" is literally the purpose of said type of software development.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017

It depends what you mean by that. Can they rip out what they have and start over? Absolutely not and they don't need to. Could they refine and smooth out what's there now? I think they can.

For example: the opening scene where the big guy mocks Ryo appears at first glance like it's missing animations because his mouth doesn't close on two of his words, giving off the impression that those two facial animations are missing in the scene. Upon further inspection though, you'll notice that character's tongue moves for some syllables at the start of his sentence, instead of his mouth. While he's talking, the camera shifts to an angle where you can no longer see his tongue, which gives off the appearance of no facial animation for those 2 syllables later in the sentence. They can rectify this by shifting the camera angle and possibly tilting the big guy's head down a bit to properly capture all his speaking animations.

Those sorts of adjustments can be expected. There's a documentary floating out there that captured Yu Suzuki's directorial methods during Shenmue 1. Devs would bring him a scene or character animation, he would review and tell them several minute, detailed changes to make for it to fit better in the game. I suspect he still does that today with his current team, meaning over the next few months he can be instruct them on how to make animations flow better in scene. All of this falls into the refinement process utilized by the Agile project management methodology, which we know this game is being developed under. Refinements will be made until the cut off point to hit release for August 27th.

Who's to say they haven't already added or changed things from what they've shown? Do you think they just scribbled together the trailer the night before using what they currently had or perhaps worked on it in advance? Maybe a few weeks or even a month ago? Which scenario is more likely?

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
All the footage we've been shown through the development cycle has been several months behind the actual date it was revealed. Based on this precedent, this new trailer could very well be "old" as well.

Oct 30, 2017
Woah, 45? That seems rather large, honestly, based on what others have been suggesting. Wondering what Neilo is actually handling. Where'd you find that figure?

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Woah, 45? That seems rather large, honestly, based on what others have been suggesting. Wondering what Neilo is actually handling. Where'd you find that figure?
45 was the figure listed in a slide last year for THQ Nordic's markets day event for shareholders or something.

45 is about medium size from what I understand, though maybe on the smaller end.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I think when we see the finished product with how the roaming is and 500 npc's we'll be very impressed a team of 45 made this

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
I'm rewatching the trailer and I can't believe Shenmue 3 is actually a thing. I've been waiting for so long that it's hard to believe we're months (maybe a year if there's a delay) away from seeing how the story continues.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
There are some small bits of information in that article that I haven't seen anywhere yet. They mention that the camera can move in 360 degrees, so you won't always be looking at Ryo's back anymore, and you can buy clothes and change Ryo's outfit whenever you want. And I don't know if it means individually or combined, but he says that Bailu and Chobu are about as big as Hong Kong from Shenmue II.

Modi

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah all that is new to me, and there is no supernatural element in Shenmue III.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Shenmue I wished for as a fan of the original series cannot be made under today's circumstances it seems. The first game was bleeding edge, this definitely ain't.

The game is not looking bad though - in fact I think it is pretty enough to get a pass - and it's Suzuki's creation so if he is ok with it...

Oct 30, 2017
Hey ERA. I got to sit down with Suzuki and saw about 15 minutes of gameplay (not live, pre-recorded, but only recorded a few days prior) at MAGIC. I wrote a thing about it: https://www.vg247.com/2019/03/12/shenmue-3-preview-gameplay/

I think it looks really cool, tbh, so long as you can accept the budget/style for what it is.
Thanks. Interesting write up. Disappointed the animation doesn't seem to be much better in your extended trailer, but it's also heartening to hear there's an actual game out there and that it actually looks good!

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Hey ERA. I got to sit down with Suzuki and saw about 15 minutes of gameplay (not live, pre-recorded, but only recorded a few days prior) at MAGIC. I wrote a thing about it: https://www.vg247.com/2019/03/12/shenmue-3-preview-gameplay/

I think it looks really cool, tbh, so long as you can accept the budget/style for what it is.

I think that's the major takeaway here.

It's maybe not what some were expecting, but it's definitely Shenmue 3, can't argue that.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Why hasn't Sony hosted this trailer on its Youtube channel yet. Every little helps and videos on the PlayStation channel tend to get a lot of views. It should've happened by now.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017

Nice write up. It's kind of disappointing to hear that Ryo's walking animation is still super stiff. I was hoping that aspect would be modernized a bit with some better animation. Everything else is shaping up though.

Oct 27, 2017

Hi,

I know your website is funded trough ads but i'm surprised i litterally can't get in the website without deactivating adblock.