• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
It's still almost half a year away, at least.
Correct. The trailer made it clear this wasn't the final game, and the game still has 5 months before it'd have to go gold.

The game made a big leap in the 8 months between this and the Gamescom 2018 trailer, those 5 months could be all that's needed to sew up the animation.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Ryo looking a little jump forcy but other than that in really looking forward to this

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He prob dont got motion capture money

y1blChP.png

hCfRWPP.png

Shenmue III uses a $20,000 mocap rig from xsens

you can tell who reads the backer updates, and who is just shitposting

Ziming

Jan 3, 2018
When both Lan Di & Shenhua appear it looks very similar to the bad ending from Shenmue II.

7ZYFveR.jpg

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It looks so WIP still, but much better than earlier shown.

I just hope they've braced themselves for the hurdles of optimizing a build for consoles. It better not bite them in the last months of finalizing because it's the kind of stuff that can make awesome demos like this look like the thing that never was.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Looks appropriately lo-fi. I only played the HD remasters this year but I'm ecstatic for those who have been waiting so long.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
So at this point, I guess we can say the animations (and facial animations especially) never will be fixed

Budget is 7 million dollars, without counting Sony, Shibuya and Deep Silver's support. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice was also under 10 million dollars and 20 people, and the result isn't the same (granted it isn't as open)
this is an apples to oranges comparison though. because ninja theory built up and refined their tech (especially the facial capture stuff) over the past decade or so, using AAA funding from sony. thats why they were able to make such a great looking game on a budget, with senua.

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
As someone who greatly enjoys the first two Shenmue games I think Shenmue 3 feels like it lacks cohesiveness in it's visual style. Some characters look realistic while others look like caricatures, a lot more so than in the first games. Some of them looks like stage puppets. And the animation really needs work.
Some of the dialogue movement just looks bad. The old man shaking his head around like crazy comes to mind. The first two games felt a lot more "real" in their movement.
I really hope it tuns out great though as like I said I enjoy the first games a lot and really want this to stand alongside and feel like a part of the same world as those games.

This. I don't understand these caricature characters, they are almost shocking when one of them appears on screen just after a more realistic one was shown.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Honest talk, do people have high expectations for this game? I mean it's been years since they started working on it and if this is the best they can show, well...

Shenmue made waves because of it's high budget, this is the opposite of that. I think Yu Suzuki should've finished the story on a book or short film if Sega didn't want to give him the budget for a sequel.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honest talk, do people have high expectations for this game? I mean it's been years since they started working on it and if this is the best they can show, well...

Shenmue made waves because of it's high budget, this is the opposite of that. I think Yu Suzuki should've finished the story on a book or short film if Sega didn't want to give him the budget for a sequel.

I don't think you want an honest talk at all.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering why it was looking weird to me in certain daytime scenes and I realized why it does. It reminds me of those Skyrim ENB filters where you remove like whatever lighting setting makes the shadows look realistic and you end up with two characters moving through a daylight scene sort of unaffected by the sun.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

It's not like the game kept improving over and over.
If you think people asked for Shenmue III because of a high budget, you're delusional.

Oct 30, 2017
Yknow, 9/10 times the negativity gets to me, but I'm looking around the net, in the Kickstarter comments, etc. and I see a more positive
outlook than I've seen before. I'm happy.

Why do some of take the criticism personally? We've waited nearly our entire lifetimes to see this game be made. It's an emotional investment for it a lot of us. I wish Suzuki had an endless budget and could make a game that has looks that put the best AAA games to shame, but this is what we got; and you know what, it it looks good to me and feels like Shenmue. I'm not embarrassed to say that.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Something about the overall look just makes it feel...hilariously bad? I don't know, just this weird look to it that does give old-school vibes but no where the quality of PS2. Maybe PS3? It just looks really low-fi when you look at the package as a whole, or even just the background design aesthetic. I guess it also doesn't help that the characters look so weirdly surreal in artistic design that they stick out from the background as if they don't belong.

I mean, it looks like Shenmue when you think of it so that's the good thing.

Feb 2, 2019
It's not like the game kept improving over and over.
If you think people asked for Shenmue III because of a high budget, you're delusional.

It being high-budget, a flagship title and a tech showcase was clearly part of the initial appeal, regardless of what the die-hard fans wanted the franchise to be revived for. The game mights retain everything else, but it's clear it will be far from a technical achievement.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Surprisingly, Ryo's JP voice sold me more on this than anything else. if they changed the actor i think this trailer would've had a way lesser impact on me. now it feels more like a proper DC follow-up. i feel right at home .rest looked fine, i don't expect a launch until 2020. I think they need to put more work into face models. some of this doesn't work so well in 3D with higher animation work.

It's true. It's like the voice actor didn't miss a beat. Fits right in with his portrayal in the old games.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
There's much more to a game than looks but I'm getting some real low-budget 3D hentai vibes from these characters.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly, Ryo's JP voice sold me more on this than anything else. if they changed the actor i think this trailer would've had a way lesser impact on me. now it feels more like a proper DC follow-up. i feel right at home .rest looked fine, i don't expect a launch until 2020. I think they need to put more work into face models. some of this doesn't work so well in 3D with higher animation work.

It's true. It's like the voice actor didn't miss a beat. Fits right in with his portrayal in the old games.

Agreed. It's almost as if he was recording this right after Shenmue II. It's great.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It actually looks much better than I expected.

There's still this one thing that still bothers me though, skin complexions. There are various NPCs with unique and/or heavy complexions, but Ryo's is so smooth like a baby. It just doesn't make sense lore-wise too, as he's supposed to be a fighter and has seen some shit. He even has a bandage on his cheek. It's just quite jarring to see.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017

High expectations for the graphics, or the game? Having high expectations for the graphics is literally a troll opinion, nobody (genuinely) expected them to be on the cutting edge when they have to build everything from scratch on a budget.

Shenmue 2 is a great game (today!) because it's a great game, not because of its budget

ChewbieFR

Nov 3, 2018
How can you say that ? They kept improving over and over. How can you say it's never going to be fixed when it's already showing amazing improvement ?
You also fail to mention that Senua's Sacrifice has a total of... 1 character with facial animations.

I'm saying that because animations were rigid a few years ago and still are. In the meantime Ys Net partenered with Lakshya Digital for the characters. Considering the game launches in august, I concede there surely will be minor changes but at this point I wouldn't hope great or even good animations. Does this mean the game will be bad overall ? Absolutely not. I'm just pointing out that with this new trailer, the stiff animation is always here and probably won't go. That's a bummer, what can I say.
Concerning Hellblade, that was the AA comparison I had but I know it's two different projects. I guess I'm just trying to make the point that the budget doesn't completely explain this result, with all due respect for the developers.

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like shenmue,
I'm not sure about why some of you are complaining about animations.

They look stiff like in the original
Probably for the best, since you want controls to be snappy unlike say rdr2.

My only small gripe is that ryo face is a bit small for the overall shape of his head.

If they could stretch by 5.8 percent (while keeping the aspect ratio) I think it would look better.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
It actually looks much better than I expected.

There's still this one thing that still bothers me though, skin complexions. There are various NPCs with unique and/or heavy complexions, but Ryo's is so smooth like a baby. It just doesn't make sense lore-wise too, as he's supposed to be a fighter and has seen some shit. He even has a bandage on his cheek. It's just quite jarring to see.
He's 18 and a prettyboy.

I guess it's also video compression. There's texture and pigmentation on the skin in the high res screens.

I'm saying that because animations were rigid a few years ago and still are. In the meantime Ys Net partenered with Lakshya Digital for the characters. Considering the game launches in august, I concede there surely will be minor changes but at this point I wouldn't hope great or even good animations. Does this mean the game will be bad overall ? Absolutely not. I'm just pointing out that with this new trailer, the stiff animation is always here and probably won't go. That's a bummer, what can I say.
Concerning Hellblade, that was the AA comparison I had but I know it's two different projects. I guess I'm just trying to make the point that the budget doesn't completely explain this result, with all due respect for the developers.
I remember someone on GAF who said the game would never look any different to the Gamescom 2017 progress video.

I also remember several people crowing about the Gamescom 2018 trailer like it was final. The gap between that video and this one was only around 8 months, and it was a stride forward in multiple areas. Character animation, character lighting, etc.

There's 5 months left before the game has to go Gold to hit that August 27th release date (if it continues to hold). Do you see where I'm going with this? A lot of things can be sewn up in that time, and the video explicitly marks itself as not final, and work in progress.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who spent $100 on the Kickstarter, I gotta say, after 3+ years or whatever it's been, this looks pretty damn rough.

This looks like an up-resed Dreamcast game. I dunno, I guess I was expecting something more...modern.

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Not gonna lie: this footage got me hyped. Yes, the issues are pretty obvious and have been brought up numerous times now, but man, this really "feels" like a legit sequel to 1 and 2 which is fantastic

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It still looks a bit off to me for character designs of the returning cast but I'm just glad it has a Shenmue vibe. Nothing shown previously really did. The camera angles go a long way.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Eeeww, from a groundbreaking pioneer to an indie budgeted open world :/

Imagine if Star Wars 9 was a direct to video release, imagine those old Disney direct to video releases. It's such a shame Shenmue 3 of all games was condemned to Kikkustatta.

eeewww

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
People with issues on how the npcs look. This is how some of the npc characters looked in S2.
XBP7hF1.jpg

More: https://sites.google.com/site/shenmuemods/shenmue-ii/character-database

Shenmue was always stylized.
To me the style and colors of those faces are more consistent than some of the faces in Shenmue 3. They all look like they can be in the same world.

061o8mT.jpg

Going from this more realistic grounded face

A1eToLH.jpg

To this exaggerated stiff clay like face is very jarring, at least to me.

And I wish the superfans wouldn't be so incredible defensive about this game. It's like they take everything in the worst way possible. I'm just posting my impressions of the trailer.
Like I said earlier I really enjoy the first two games and want this to be good.