• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
07sat.jpg

How people view these models

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's not releasing in 2019. If it was, there would have been a date on that trailer. They don't want to release a trailer with "2019" on it, since it's not releasing until 2020, or... 2021.

Aye. I think they'll drop it to early 2020 (2021 would be too late for this gen I think) but can't finalise the date yet so left no date on the trailer. That will make it the third(?) delay for the game. Good I say, if it means they can make the game as good as it can be and get better reception with those on the fence about the game.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what people expects of a low budget game these days. But I think it looks great for what it is. Love the 90's CG aesthetic too.

So at this point, I guess we can say the animations (and facial animations especially) never will be fixed

Budget is 7 million dollars, without counting Sony, Shibuya and Deep Silver's support. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice was also under 10 million dollars and 20 people, and the result isn't the same (granted it isn't as open)

Isn't as open is understatement. Not only Hellblade is a fully linear game, but also it doesn't have the amount of characters and animation work of this game. Is not even comparable in terms of gameplay mechanics...

From the 7 million you have to take out the money needed for the KS rewards. You can't make a game as ambitious as Shenmue on modern systems without some corner cuts unless you have AAA amount of money. FROM's NPC barely had any facial animations until Sekiro...

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I still think ryos head is a little small. Can somebody get a still and photoshop his head a little bigger for comparisons sake?

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
It looks freaking fantastic

I don't even get the complaints about the facial animation while talking, it looked fine.
They don't understand yet. The game is at such a fine state already. The fact that it can only go up from here is perfect. They chose the right time/build to show the game. Glad they didn't do it earlier since the last one

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
So at this point, I guess we can say the animations (and facial animations especially) never will be fixed

Budget is 7 million dollars, without counting Sony, Shibuya and Deep Silver's support. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice was also under 10 million dollars and 20 people, and the result isn't the same (granted it isn't as open)

How can you say that ? They kept improving over and over. How can you say it's never going to be fixed when it's already showing amazing improvement ?
You also fail to mention that Senua's Sacrifice has a total of... 1 character with facial animations.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks alright, animations still look wonky but not too terrible.
Compared to what for example Red Thread did with a fraction of the budget it's not too impressive. Music sounds good tho

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Everything except the mouth animations looks good. It seems surprisingly true to the first two games. For some reason I wasn't expecting that (and it will certainly scare a lot of newcomers away).

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
They don't understand yet. The game is at such a fine state already. The fact that it can only go up from here is perfect. They chose the right time/build to show the game. Glad they didn't do it earlier since the last one
The parts of the game they have shown honestly look done to me... like as far as the scenes they have shown go, there's nothing more that's needed. They're completed scenes.

koshiro

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly looks like Shenmue to me, and this is the first time it has done so in my eyes. Really great progress. Yes, the animation while talking looks rigid next to modern games, but I suspect that due to the low budget, they decided to mimic the original games. You can see it when Shenhua reacts to Ryo saying his father was murdered - that very definite look to the ground felt very much like the old games.

On that note, Shenhua finally looked like herself. They've really improved the model there.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
No release date = See you in 2020.

They're going to say they're not satisfied with the build quality (read: the hideous faces) and that's how they'll justify the 2020 delay. And people will eat it up.

"Delay it as long as you need to!"
"I can wait a few more years!"
"Take as LONG as you want!"
You're being a little antagonistic to be honest.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The entire point of Agile development is that you can continuously work on things until the very end of the project. That's why the entire game seems to get better all over between demonstrations. It's not like they're done with anything yet.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
The parts of the game they have shown honestly look done to me... like as far as the scenes they have shown go, there's nothing more that's needed. They're completed scenes.
I agree. I wish for a 2019 release I would be fine with that in its current state. The things they would fix would be non factors now already but just extra I guess. They could make shenhua resemble more the original I guess

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Did Yu Suzuki mention the release date at all during MAGIC? Do people think it's getting delayed again or not?
What with The Sinking City getting delayed like two weeks before release, I hope that doesn't happen with Shenmue 3 (last minute delay I mean)...

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You have to think what they've shown is a small amount of the total games, though. All this seems to be from one area of the game, there is going to be 3 areas. There are 500 unique NPCs in the game, we saw maybe a dozen in the trailer.

I wouldn't doubt they're showing the most complete stuff in the game, but I bet there's still a lot of work left.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It looks okay considering the relatively meager budget they're dealing with for the game they're trying to make. I can excuse the poor animation on characters during cut-scenes and conversations but I wish combat looked better at least Oh well.

Honestly I kinda feel bad for slagging it. :P I wish Suzuki and his team the best.

Imagine Yu Suzuki leading a big budget Virtua Fighter 6

I don't see how this trailer is indicative that that would be a good idea to be honest.

He didn't work on VF5 anyway...

Deleted member 24450

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Animations and lip sync, that is all the complaints I have.
All else looks good.

Now I wish there would be remaster remakes of the first two with these kind of graphics.... ;)

Oct 31, 2017
S3 looks great!

I've seen a few say that this game has a low budget... But I'm pretty sure we don't know what their budget is for S3.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
You have to think what they've shown is a small amount of the total games, though. All this seems to be from one area of the game, there is going to be 3 areas. There are 500 unique NPCs in the game, we saw maybe a dozen in the trailer.

I wouldn't doubt they're showing the most complete stuff in the game, but I bet there's still a lot of work left.
Oh, for sure -- I'm not saying the game is done, I just mean those particular scenes are. There's obviously tons they haven't shown yet, but I wouldn't expect even minor changes to what we've seen so far in this trailer.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
No release date = See you in 2020.

They're going to say they're not satisfied with the build quality (read: the hideous faces) and that's how they'll justify the 2020 delay. And people will eat it up.

"Delay it as long as you need to!"
"I can wait a few more years!"
"Take as LONG as you want!"

I love how people can complain that the game looks rough and then complain if it's delayed.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. I wish for a 2019 release I would be fine with that in its current state. The things they would fix would be non factors now already but just extra I guess. They could make shenhua resemble more the original I guess
I think Shenhua is the best looking character by far. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Did Yu Suzuki mention the release date at all during MAGIC? Do people think it's getting delayed again or not?
What with The Sinking City getting delayed like two weeks before release, I hope that doesn't happen with Shenmue 3 (last minute delay I mean)...
After this trailer? No, I think they're right on schedule.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
To me this has confirmed Yu Suzuki one of the finest in the industry. It was actually him that brought the greatness of shenmue. If SEGA had made shenmue 3 this would have been fucking awful

Oct 25, 2017
The lip-sync is jarring at first, but honestly, it's going to fade away with the first 10 minutes of turning on the game for me. It's fucking Shenmue 3.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, the small snippets of the combat are my highlight of this video. it looks like Shenmue combat and thats a very good thing in my eyes.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't fucking believe there is a for-real Shenmue 3 made by honest to god Yu Suzuki

For the longest time, I was so worried the combat was going to be entirely different or something, not at all like Virtua Fighter. This is all so very much Shenmue. It looks natural next to the other 2 games in terms of mechanics.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how the trailer is set up. This is truthfully the first time in almost 20 damn years we're seeing new bits of the story in a trailer, and the very first thing we see, after Shenmue II ended with Ryo being such a badass, is him on the ground with the shit kicked out of him. Talk about humbling lol.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I like how the trailer is set up. This is truthfully the first time in almost 20 damn years we're seeing new bits of the story in a trailer, and the very first thing we see, after Shenmue II ended with Ryo being such a badass, is him on the ground with the shit kicked out of him. Talk about humbling lol.
Yeah, it's pretty great. Oh, you took down a bunch of thugs in Hong Kong and Kowloon? Well, out here in the countryside your Kung fu ain't shit, boy.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it looked hilariously bad but if fans are happy with what they got then more power to them. At least the soundtrack sounds like it'll be on point once again.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
giphy.gif

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't fucking believe there is a for-real Shenmue 3 made by honest to god Yu Suzuki

For the longest time, I was so worried the combat was going to be entirely different or something, not at all like Virtua Fighter. This is all so very much Shenmue. It looks natural next to the other 2 games in terms of mechanics.
DBSUL45.jpg

I missed this jingle!

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I thought it looked hilariously bad but if fans are happy with what they got then more power to them. At least the soundtrack sounds like it'll be on point once again.
Not sure if you played the first 2; they've aged according to new players, but this is probably going to have refinements everywhere. I think you'll love it.