• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Switching bloom off was one of the first things I did. I hated how it looked on the Xbox version of 2.

Forgot how much you need money at the start of 2 as well. Getting hit for $38 a night to sleep and not getting paid on my Lucky Hit job because I keep losing.

Can you refuse to pay him or does it just build up and eventually take it off you?
You can skip out on the bill or pay it later if your conscience is bothering you.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bought the Xbox version.

Will buy it again on Steam if it leads Sega to releasing better Saturn and Dreamcast games.

To hell with Shenmue, though. Give me Virtua Fighter 6.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Embargo is over! Still working on my review but I thought some of you PC gamers would like to see the options available:

First off, you can change up any of the controls.
AJp9ruR.jpg

Second, you've got a full range of audio settings.
0z7JT4I.jpg

Third, you've got WAY more video options than what is available on the console release.
ybuQx5d.jpg

0j7GMy6.jpg

I'm probably just gonna get it on PC then. Why the hell can't we adjust the bloom intensity on the console versions.

Wickio

Oct 28, 2017
Great to see early reviews giving it a generally favourable shake. Going in, I'd have expected no higher than a 70~ average, so anything on top of that really is a triumph in my eyes.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Embargo is over! Still working on my review but I thought some of you PC gamers would like to see the options available:

AJp9ruR.jpg

0z7JT4I.jpg

Third, you've got WAY more video options than what is available on the console release.
ybuQx5d.jpg

0j7GMy6.jpg
HOLY SHIT YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES this is fantastic

Thanks!

Also can you say whether or not there's any noticeable difference in loading times or performance when having the game on an SSD vs an HDD?

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017

AJp9ruR.jpg

0z7JT4I.jpg

ybuQx5d.jpg

0j7GMy6.jpg

There's no ultra wide support is there?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if playing Shenmue 1 is necessary to enjoy 2 or if there is a way to mainstream 1. I got bored of it back in the day on Dreamcast, but I'm really excited to try 2. Maybe the lack of load times and improved movement controls will make 1 more interesting?

lawtowler

Oct 30, 2017
I'm wondering if playing Shenmue 1 is necessary to enjoy 2 or if there is a way to mainstream 1. I got bored of it back in the day on Dreamcast, but I'm really excited to try 2. Maybe the lack of load times and improved movement controls will make 1 more interesting?

I'd recommend at least trying it first and if you find yourself getting a little bored and really itching for Shenmue II, then watch the Shenmue movie on YouTube or something. I think it's like an hour long and covers everything (It came with the Xbox version of Shenmue II).

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

Play the first game. You have a better idea of what to expect from it so your attitude should be better adjusted to the games pace. The games complement each other very well, plus your progress carries over to 2. So your move set, capsule toys, and calendar will make the experience more immersive.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017

AJp9ruR.jpg

0z7JT4I.jpg

ybuQx5d.jpg

0j7GMy6.jpg
Oh damn, so you can adjust Bloom sensitivity after all (on PC). That's good news. Also, nice options.

Nov 27, 2017
HOLY SHIT YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES this is fantastic

Thanks!

Also can you say whether or not there's any noticeable difference in loading times or performance when having the game on an SSD vs an HDD?

I'm playing it off an HDD but it's so fast I don't see any reason to using an SSD. The loading times are a billion times faster than the original Dreamcast and Xbox versions.

There's no ultra wide support is there?

I'm unable to check that out right now but I believe it might. I had a lot of resolution options. It reminds me of Yakuza on PC which does have ultrawide support.

Oh damn, so you can adjust Bloom sensitivity after all (on PC). That's good news. Also, nice options.

On consoles you only have the choice of turning bloom off or on. On PC you can choose off, low or high.

Oct 30, 2017
I really feel like Shenmue 1 is only boring when you first play it. I remember feeling incredibly underwhelmed on day 1. The controls bummed me out, the voice acting was very odd, and I just had to do a bunch of chores. Who knew the series would somehow leave such a mark on me that I'd wait 15+ years dying for the third game? But again, it's not for everyone.

Shenmue II is very action packed compared to Shenmue I, but I think you definitely need to read Shenmue I like its prologue and make your way through it.

Nov 27, 2017
Also, take it from someone who has played the PC version. Use a controller. Mouse and keyboard do work but it feels far better with a gamepad.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Icons changed for me right away when I used an Xbox One controller. When I used the mouse and keyboard it turned them right back into their PC based original icons. Didn't try it out with a PS4 controller though.
By the way how do you select which game to launch? A Steam popup?

Also is the options menu in Shenmue 2 different from 1?

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news about the SSAA option for PC.

I can get away with super sampling really old games on my 960. Hopefully Shenmue let's me too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
God damn that bloom is shocking! Turning that shit off straight away.

Oct 25, 2017
Rerez Can you tell us if the games files are in some weird archive formats not easily accessible ?

I'm hoping for mods restoring the original UI wherever possible.

Nov 27, 2017
Anyone that tested the different levels of bloom on PC yet?

Gotcha. Here is the difference. I really can't see the change between low and high to be honest.

PC Bloom Off:
TUfhuvC.jpg

PC Bloom On Low:
uMVFraU.jpg

PC Bloom On High:
rsDRpBT.jpg

(Also keep this in mind, all of the images I'm sharing are from slightly compressed video recordings and are NOT direct image captures from the game. The game looks far higher quality and sharper especially in the native 4K resolution I'm playing it in.)

Rerez Can you tell us if the games files are in some weird archive formats not easily accessible ?

I'm hoping for mods restoring the original UI wherever possible.

It looks to be compressed. Using a mixture of .tad and .tac files.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
I hope some modder takes on this game and retextures the whole thing. Can you imagine something like the RE4HD project for both Shenmues? That'd be beyond amazing.

Very nice options and the ability to turn off bloom is welcomed. Can't wait until tomorrow.

Oct 30, 2017
Are there any games Shenmue 1 & 2 can be compared to?
Perhaps a very slow, bucolic Yakuza, with much more NPC interaction and less combat. I've seen people compare Deadly Premonition to it, but I never played Deadly Premonition. It's also much more epic than any one Yakuza. The two games are one long story, and were intended to be released as a single game as conceived. There is much more to come, and I assume much more action, drama and intrigue. Maybe they're best described as virtual soap operas.

There IS action, but there is a heavy emphasis on the mundane.

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps a very slow, bucolic Yakuza, with much more NPC interaction and less combat. I've seen people compare Deadly Premonition to it, but I never played Deadly Premonition. It's also much more epic than any one Yakuza. The two games are one long story, and were intended to be released as a single game as conceived. There is much more to come, and I assume much more action, drama and intrigue. Maybe they're best described as virtual soap operas.

There IS action, but there is a heavy emphasis on the mundane.
Virtual soap opera fits Yakuza completely