• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
I don't think I'm alone in saying Shenmue 3 15 years too late, it's from a bygone era, let it end.

I hope you are alone in that. At least in this thread where most people should have some interest in Shenmue if they are reading and posting.

By your logic we should let Mario or Zelda end too, since they are from an even more bygone era.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully he provides a storyboard and outsources it to a studio that could make the game actual fun.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
I hope you are alone in that. At least in this thread where most people should have some interest in Shenmue if they are reading and posting.

By your logic we should let Mario or Zelda end too, since they are from an even more bygone era.
I hope that's a joke? Those titles have redefined gaming over and over again. Shenmue 3 did nothing apart from take the story forward, it was a nostalgia trip nothing more.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Shenmue 1 and 2 back in the day, and by all means enjoy Shenmue 4 if it comes, but I was very disappointed with 3.
Ok, I'm just not a fan of when people come in threads when they're not enjoying it any more (which is ok), and then saying it should be cancelled just because they didn't like it. It's never flattering.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Anything new from the Shenmue IP is a positive. Whatever it takes to keep the IP alive and maybe fund a new game.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
I hope that's a joke? Those titles have redefined gaming over and over again. Shenmue 3 did nothing apart from take the story forward, it was a nostalgia trip nothing more.

It's not a joke, it's putting the focus in the absurdity of your argument: that because of being old, a series must be ended.

66% of games in the Shenmue series redefined gaming in a lot of ways, too. Why should anyone wish for it not to have another chance? (and in a thread that should be full of people interested in that, is a pretty aggressive move too).

Edit: Now that I think of it, Zelda and Mario had those awful CDI games, which were far worse than Shenmue III (now this is actually a joke LOL)

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Worst Realistic Scenario: Netflix live action adaptation.
Live action seems a bit too much to me.

The worst thing i can come up about the possible new anime is it being half western-made like some of the new Netflix stuff, since i can't see any Shenmue-related media being entirely Japanese, with also some poor cell-shaded cg graphics.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I guess the sweet is that we may see the original plot for III realised in anime form, the sour that we didn't get to play it. I think I can make peace with that.

Oct 30, 2017
Watch it be something like a new Shenmue website that's got information on the series.

I bet we're all totally off... I can't find a trace of a Shenmue project online and believe me I've tried every Shenmue-related keyword I can think of.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I'd love to finish the story through more games, I would be fine with an anime adaptation as long as it actually ends the story! Like all fans of the series, I just want closure.

Oct 30, 2017
If it's anime, it's gotta have that Studio Ghibli vibe. We need a peaceful vibe with an amazing soundtrack. I can't accept a zAnY Shenmue anime. Obv. I don't expect a show/movie with the production qualities of Ghibli, but it needs that vibe...

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Part of me thinks any new Shenmue endeavour is great news for the franchise, but I am scared on what we fans ultimately get.

Oct 30, 2017
I spent the better part of my day searching for even a crumb (Looking at Twitter follows, Googling Shenmue 3 credits, etc.) and came up with nothing. This is gonna be fun... Just two more days to go. I'm taking a break tomorrow. I always get so hyped up for Shenmue news. I can't wait to find out the news is a 4-page Shenmue comic book.

Oct 30, 2017
Realms Deep 2020 is a gaming event happening on Saturday, but doesn't really fit Shenmue: https://www.realmsdeep.game/

Buuuuut...

If this is an anime, then Crunchyroll Expo runs from September 4 to 6: https://expo.crunchyroll.com/

I checked the panels for Saturday, and one panel teases a big announcement from Crunchyroll and Adult Swim: https://expo.crunchyroll.com/New-Cr...panel-name=Crunchyroll-Virtual-Industry-Panel

Well, this could be one huge coincidence, but the Adult Swim thing is at 3PM EST/8PM GMT/12PM PST tomorrow if that's it... Considering he told Dusk Golem to wait 'til Saturday to spill the details....

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I don't think Shenmue 4 was ever realistic. Based on how Shenmue 3 was received.
Depends on where you look, the Shenmue community seems to be lukewarm on 3, but would like another game. On the other hand, Comments on youtube videos (and a lot of people who admit they haven't played the games) or the handling of the kickstarter... are negative.

Oct 30, 2017
Deep Silver consistently releases sequels to much lower profile games, and without established fanbases, people figured didn't sell or whatever. I don't think it's anywhere near as unrealistic as others think.

But this is clearly gonna be an anime-type announcement now that Cedric's all but confirmed Saturday and now hyped up Crunchy Roll... That seems like a lot of effort for a dead franchise.

OF COURSE IT COULD STILL BE SOMETHING ELSE.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't one of the main guys at Koch Media say that Shenmue 3 did "ok" or met expectations or some shit?.

I don't think anyone ever thought it was gonna go platinum lol, I was hoping for approx 500k worldwide inc digital, Surely it hit that..... Right? 🙄

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't one of the main guys at Koch Media say that Shenmue 3 did "ok" or met expectations or some shit?.

I don't think anyone ever thought it was gonna go platinum lol, I was hoping for approx 500k worldwide inc digital, Surely it hit that..... Right? 🙄
I think some people don't realise how niche Shenmue already was, and like to take a swipe at the sales.

Oct 30, 2017
I found this on some randomEuropean website, but it sounds legit.

At the iconic annual "Virtual Crunchyroll Expo" (held for the first time in digital format), Crunchyroll announced the new partnership with the Adult Swim platform for the production of "Shenmue" - an original anime series based on the franchise of the beloved counterpart game SEGA.

This co-production will be broadcast globally outside of Japan and mainland China on the Crunchyroll and Adult Swim platforms.

"The first Shenmue video game was released more than 20 years ago and we are excited to work with Adult Swim again to bring this franchise to life through the anime series. We look forward to showing our fans more of this action-packed adventure series, "said Sarah Victor, head of Crunchyroll Development.

Shenmue is a 13-episode anime series that chronicles the adventure of Ryo Hazuki. After witnessing his father's murder, Ryo dedicates his life to searching for the killer - a mission that takes him from the Japanese streets of Yokosuka to beyond the Hong Kong metropolis. In search of revenge, he will soon find out that mystical forces are involved, and in the meantime he is training to become an expert in martial arts.

"The Shenmue world is fascinating and unique, and we're excited to work with Yu Suzuki (the game's creator) to turn his epic creation into anime and make bestial martial arts," said Jason DeMarco, creative director of Adult Swim.

The production of Crunchyroll and Adult Swim "Shenmue" is directed by Sakurai Chikara in the Telecom Animation Film studios, managed by Sola Entertainment. Video game creator Yu Suzuki is also on the team as executive producer.

Recent collaborations between Crunchyroll and Adult Swim include "Fena - Pirate Princess" and "Blade Runner - Black Lotus". Fans eager to see the launch announcement can register for a free Virtual Crunchyroll Expo badge on crunchyrollexpo.com and can access the Crunchyroll Industry Panel in the V-CRX On-Demand section
Translated from here - https://jobs.diez.md/articles/crunc...uctia-unui-nou-serial-anime-intitulat-sh

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
13 is an interesting number. I wonder if it will be roughly one for each of the 11 chapters. Maybe with a couple of later chapters taking up two episodes each?